HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

terry O’Reilly

Old
01-11-2007, 12:57 PM
DaaaaB's

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1 View Post
I also thought O'Reilly was overrated (Don Cherry could have nothing to do with this could he?). He was a heart and soul player but I called him kind of slow footed, and his goal scoring talents were overrated. Like somebody said his fighting was overrated also....Walter, Gillies, Don Maloney are among a few who clobbered him
Are you joking?

Walter clobbering O'Reilly that's a good one.

O'Reilly has one of if not the best fight card of all time. He fought anyone and everyone and of course he had some losses but he won a lot then he lost. If you knew anything about fighting you would know that every player that's fights regularly has lost at least a couple.

He fought Gillies 4 times in that playoff series and won one for sure with another draw or two and only one bad loss. Gillies also slammed Taz's head off the ice but Taz still came at him.

As for Hunter challenging the Bruins bench, he likely only did it because he knew it was the last game of the year and he knew no one would want to be suspended for the playoffs. O'Reilly probably just laughed at him and decided he wouldn't waste his time. He would beat the s*** out of Hunter and Walter at the same time.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Are you joking?

O'Reilly has one of if not the best fight card of all time. He fought anyone and everyone and of course he had some losses but he won a lot then he lost. If you knew anything about fighting you would know that every player that's fights regularly has lost at least a couple.

He fought Gillies 4 times in that playoff series and won one for sure with another draw or two and only one bad loss. Gillies also slammed Taz's head off the ice but Taz still came at him.

As for Hunter challenging the Bruins bench, he likely only did it because he knew it was the last game of the year and he knew no one would want to be suspended for the playoffs. O'Reilly probably just laughed at him and decided he wouldn't waste his time. He would beat the s*** out of Hunter and Walter at the same time.
You obviously didn't watch that game. O'Reilly and the Bruins had their ***** kicked in the fight department.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:52 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
You obviously didn't watch that game. O'Reilly and the Bruins had their ***** kicked in the fight department.
Can you point out where I said they didn't?

I was saying no one is stupid enough to jump off the bench to fight in the last game before playoffs. Bodyslamming someone to the ice doesn't mean you beat them in a fight either. It usually means they were to scared to stand up and throw punches. O'Reilly would've killed Walter. No doubt about it.

Old
01-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
O'Reilly would've killed Walter. No doubt about it.
Walter and O'Reilly had a fight that game. Walter won a clear decision. He actually body slammed O'Reilly. The Habs won 10 fights that afternoon.

Old
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Walter and O'Reilly had a fight that game. Walter won a clear decision. He actually body slammed O'Reilly. The Habs won 10 fights that afternoon.
You must've had the Hab googles on that night.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68695

I pm'd a few other guys on that site that really know their stuff and they said the fights were pretty much all crappy draws and that Hunter didn't challenge the bench. The fact that hardly anyone could remember it tells me you greatly exaggaerated it because if there was that many fights and Hunter challenged the bench it would've been talked about on that site many times especially by the Hab fans.

Old
01-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
You must've had the Hab googles on that night.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68695

I pm'd a few other guys on that site that really know their stuff and they said the fights were pretty much all crappy draws and that Hunter didn't challenge the bench. The fact that hardly anyone could remember it tells me you greatly exaggaerated it because if there was that many fights and Hunter challenged the bench it would've been talked about on that site many times especially by the Hab fans.
Me and McPhee, both old enough to remember, recall it clearly. Considering the only guy who rated the fights is from Conneticut, and most likely a Bruins fan, I will take his opinion with a huge grain of salt.

Just the fact that he doesn't remember Hunter challenging the bench, makes me believe he's blowing hot air.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 01-17-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old
01-18-2007, 08:09 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Me and McPhee, both old enough to remember, recall it clearly. Considering the only guy who rated the fights is from Conneticut, and most likely a Bruins fan, I will take his opinion with a huge grain of salt.

Just the fact that he doesn't remember Hunter challenging the bench, makes me believe he's blowing hot air.
Yeah well guys that have it on video have told me otherwise and that includes non-Bruins fans. So I'm going to believe them over you a Hab's fan who is going by memory on a game 22 years ago. It's joke to think that any team ever has fought another team 10 times in a game and won all 10. Go to hockeyfights.com or dropyourgloves.com and try making these claims. You'll be laughed out of the place and called the biggest homer ever.

Old
01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I remember the game in that a team that had some lows that year made a statemnet heading into the playoffs. Boston was a better team that year, sort of like some recent Leaf/Sen matchups.

I don't recall Mark Hunter standing in front of the bench Wensink style waving his arms theatrically, the way JW did, I thought it was more him passing by, jawing, egging them on. Not sure, I can't see it when I think about it.

I remember Walter on top of O'Reilly, sort of scrambling around. It was something to see because it wasn't like the Habs,particularly that edition to go out and instigate. I won't say they won 10 decisions, really, I'd bet that some were sort of wrestling matches. When non fighters fight, that's what you usually get. I just can'
t clearly remember the fights other than Mtl initiated them and you knew some change in the team was happening. Mark Hunter was an underarted fighter though. Guys usually ended up bloody after meeting with him. Kind of an ill natured family.

The thing about O'Reilly as a fighter is that he couldn't lose, and shrug it off. If he lost, he was coming back 5 minutes later. He might lose again, but he was still coming. Nilan was much the same, wonder if it was deliberate imitation ?

I remember 2 O'Reilly fights specifically. Frank Mahovlich wasn't a fighter but some said he was one of those guys that if angered.... He and O'Reilly dropped the gloves one night and The Big M took a beating. Afterwards, he said, 'Someone could've told me he was a lefty ?'

The other was with Perry Turnbull when Turnbull was a rookie and looked to be a future star. He beat TO handily, at least twice that night. Mtl got the B's games on a Burlington,Vt. affiliate on weekdays. Funny how you remember, it was the year, during an oil crisis that the US didn't change clocks, and the games would be on at 6.30 in Mtl. Hab fan seeing rookie beat up Terry O., priceless in those days.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 01:50 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't recall Mark Hunter standing in front of the bench Wensink style waving his arms theatrically, the way JW did, I thought it was more him passing by, jawing, egging them on. Not sure, I can't see it when I think about it.

I remember Walter on top of O'Reilly, sort of scrambling around. It was something to see because it wasn't like the Habs,particularly that edition to go out and instigate. I won't say they won 10 decisions, really, I'd bet that some were sort of wrestling matches. When non fighters fight, that's what you usually get. I just can'
t clearly remember the fights other than Mtl initiated them and you knew some change in the team was happening. Mark Hunter was an underarted fighter though. Guys usually ended up bloody after meeting with him. Kind of an ill natured family.

The thing about O'Reilly as a fighter is that he couldn't lose, and shrug it off. If he lost, he was coming back 5 minutes later. He might lose again, but he was still coming. Nilan was much the same, wonder if it was deliberate imitation ?
That's more likely what happened with Hunter. From time to time guys do get jawing at the other bench after a fight but there's only one Wensink. Good points on O'Reilly and Nilan. They were both small for heavyweight fighters but were both keen to go anytime anywhere with anyone. I have heard before that Hunter could hold his own with a lot of guys.

Man, do I wish the Bruins/Habs rivalry is as heated as it was in the 80's and even early 90's. I was almost too young to remember but I still long for the days of us having Miller/Byers/Neely and you guys having Nilan/Kordic/Chelios. Made for some interesting games. Anytime there is a Bruins/Habs game on the NHL Classic channel I make sure I watch it. Don't get me wrong though, I do think there is more skill in today's NHL and the games quite often have a faster pace but I get sick of the lack of emotion and intensity in a lot of games now.

Old
01-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Yeah well guys that have it on video have told me otherwise and that includes non-Bruins fans. So I'm going to believe them over you a Hab's fan who is going by memory on a game 22 years ago. It's joke to think that any team ever has fought another team 10 times in a game and won all 10. Go to hockeyfights.com or dropyourgloves.com and try making these claims. You'll be laughed out of the place and called the biggest homer ever.
I never said the Habs won every fight. Maybe 22 years has fogged my memory a bit, but I do recall the Habs getting the better of the Bruins that night, both physically and fighting wise. The way I remember it was that the Habs took it physically to the Bruins like I had never seen before and Walter did pick O'Reilly up by his feet for the win. IMO the Habs sent a message to the Bruins that day, and IMO that's the biggest reason they were able to sweep a much better Bruins team only a few days later.

As a peace offering, here's a fun video of Hab/Bruin fights and brawls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s33rfxBcbBY

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 01-18-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old
01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I saw Mark Hunter challenge the whole Bruin bench in the last regular season game of the 1984 season. The Habs won 10 fights that night, including Walter body slamming O'Reilly. It's the first time I ever saw a Habs team completely dominate a Bruins team in the physical department. It's no wonder a 75 point Habs team was able to sweep a 104 pt Bruin team a few days later.
BTW.O'Reilly separated his shoulder in that tussle with Walter and he and Walter were talking when they went down agreeing to just lay there.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 02:28 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are you joking?

O'Reilly lost to Gillies in his swing along but it meant nothing to Terry or the team. Like Terry said "It's nice to win but it's more important to show up" and he always did,fighting Gillies a third time with a stitched face. Terry was the original "Terror Forward"!

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 04:47 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
I never said the Habs won every fight. Maybe 22 years has fogged my memory a bit, but I do recall the Habs getting the better of the Bruins that night, both physically and fighting wise. The way I remember it was that the Habs took it physically to the Bruins like I had never seen before and Walter did pick O'Reilly up by his feet for the win. IMO the Habs sent a message to the Bruins that day, and IMO that's the biggest reason they were able to sweep a much better Bruins team only a few days later.

As a peace offering, here's a fun video of Hab/Bruin fights and brawls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s33rfxBcbBY
Cool video.

I don't deny that the Habs got rough with the Bruins that day. I just didn't think they dominated as much as you said. No worries though.

Old
01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
O'Reilly lost to Gillies in his swing along but it meant nothing to Terry or the team. Like Terry said "It's nice to win but it's more important to show up" and he always did,fighting Gillies a third time with a stitched face. Terry was the original "Terror Forward"!
There was one game in the series where Taz wanted to fight Gillies yet again but Howatt intervened.