HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bobby Orr after the game

Old
09-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Bobby Orr after the game

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...campaign=sm_tw

The Legend still grows.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Thanks for linking that up DB. Great read. Look forward to his book out next month....

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Budddy

Best.player.ever.

Budddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:01 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
Best.player.ever.
That could very well be.

Even if it is so, that part of him pales in comparison to the rest of him.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
That could very well be.

Even if it is so, that part of him pales in comparison to the rest of him.
Well said BC

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:08 PM
cam042686

Excellent article! Thanks for posting it.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 04:48 PM
mbhhofr

Great article about a great human who still today is touching many lives.

Wren Blair, who passed away earlier this year, was the one who discovered Orr and after two years of due diligence, signed him for the Bruins.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...9941/?page=all

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Yes the article mentions Wren Blair being partners with Jim Gregory in a hockey camp, started in the early 60's and called Haliburton Hockey Haven which I attended one summer and last I checked is still going strong. Bobby Orr & Mike Walton (prior to starting their own camp outside of Orillia) were very young Instructors back then along with older guys like Red Kelly, Bill Gadsby & Johnny Bower among others.

Old
09-29-2013, 05:32 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yes the article mentions Wren Blair being partners with Jim Gregory in a hockey camp, started in the early 60's and called Haliburton Hockey Haven which I attended one summer and last I checked is still going strong. Bobby Orr & Mike Walton (prior to starting their own camp outside of Orillia) were very young Instructors back then along with older guys like Red Kelly, Bill Gadsby & Johnny Bower among others.
I attended Vern Buffey's Referee's Camp there in 1968. That's when I was told that I would be an Emergency Replacement Linesman, in Minnesota, for the NHL.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
I attended Vern Buffey's Referee's Camp there in 1968. That's when I was told that I would be an Emergency Replacement Linesman, in Minnesota, for the NHL.
Oh yes? Used the old Dysart Arena as I recall. Place could fog up something awful some days by afternoon but oddly clinging low & close to the ice. From my vantage point in the crease all you could see were discombobulated heads above the mist, skates & sticks below it.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:43 PM
mbhhofr

Another who attended the camp was Jim McKean who was a quarterback for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He went on to become a Major League Umpire and then an Umpire Supervisor for the Major Leagues. Talk about talent.

He struck me out in the camp softball game.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Big Phil

Class act Bobby.

One thing that enrages you even more about Eagleson is this article and the way Orr was treated. Sure his career was on its last legs anyway, but Eagleson took a loyal and naive Orr and stomped on him. I'm not saying it is Orr's fault, however the last thing I would do if I didn't want to leave a city I loved was speak directly to Harry Sinden myself. If I am leaving I would want to hear from the horses mouth that they didn't want me anymore, not through my agent. This is a mistake Daniel Alfredsson made as well this past year.

I mean, forget about whether you trust your agent or not, get the truth. Do you think Drew Rosenhaus (NFL agent) gives a lick about Terrell Owens now that he had filed for bankruptcy? I would never put that much trust in another human being. Sorry.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Canadiens1958

Jim McKean

All around athlete from the same high school - West Hill / Monklands as Doug Harvey, Ken Mosdell and others.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
... struck me out in the camp softball game.
... quite the memory you have mbh. But ya, I too recall facing or competing against some serious talent on the ice or field 30+ years ago. Things like that tend to sear themselves into the memory banks be it a strictly for fun baseball game, shinny or competitive league play, playoffs or tournaments. Seems the more serious, the more acute & sharper the memory is. Interesting.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
One thing that enrages you even more about Eagleson is this article and the way Orr was treated. Sure his career was on its last legs anyway, but Eagleson took a loyal and naive Orr and stomped on him....If I am leaving I would want to hear from the horses mouth that they didn't want me anymore, not through my agent....
Wasnt just Orr, Eagleson "stomped" on everyone indiscriminately. Equal opportunity offender. Orr was what gave him his credibility to a large extent, the flame that drew in so many others, Alan standing on Orrs shoulders to reach for the top. Bobby Orr more than anything blamed himself for that. That had he seen through Eagleson earlier, asked the questions you suggest, not been so trusting that so many others wouldnt have gotten shafted & hurt. He felt responsible. A deeply empathetic individual who cares about his fellow man & to a large degree carries the World around on his shoulders.

Old
09-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Wasnt just Orr, Eagleson "stomped" on everyone indiscriminately. Equal opportunity offender. Orr was what gave him his credibility to a large extent, the flame that drew in so many others, Alan standing on Orrs shoulders to reach for the top. Bobby Orr more than anything blamed himself for that. That had he seen through Eagleson earlier, asked the questions you suggest, not been so trusting that so many others wouldnt have gotten shafted & hurt. He felt responsible. A deeply empathetic individual who cares about his fellow man & to a large degree carries the World around on his shoulders.
Oh heck, I know how Orr feels about it now, but regardless of the era, regardless of how much credibility someone has, if I wanted to stay with a team and I was "told" by my agent the "offer" they gave me I would want to hear it from the horses mouth first. Big mistake Orr made, and I guess I can't blame him, Eagleson was a manipulative, well the world I'll say will get censored. A real smooth talker. Even to this guy I'll hear him in old interviews and I'll get a little nostalgic about things like associating him with 1972 and the Canada Cups and such and I'll say, "He wasn't as bad as we say" and then I snap right out of it and say "what am I thinking, he was a scoundrel." He's good, man was he smooth.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 11:28 PM
joesart977
HFBoards Sponsor

Bump! Just read this article for the first time, great read, great person!

rbz88on 's take on drinking during any Bruins game: "It's a win win either way , the losses don't hurt as much and the wins are that much better!"
joesart977 is offline   Reply With Quote