HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with my 2Piece??

Old
12-29-2013, 02:17 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

vCash: 500
5'8 buying a new shaft? Help!!!

I am going to be buying a new shaft for roller hockey. I am 5'8 roughly 145 pounds. I have a bauer vapor blade in the backstrom curve that I got from a friend. I am looking for a new shaft. I should be using intermediate if im not mistaken. I was looking at the warrior evo grip 70 flex that is 48 inches long. I liked the looks of it and the price. Will this stick break easily? Im looking for something that is good for me yet durable.

njdevils92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils92 View Post
I am going to be buying a new shaft for roller hockey. I am 5'8 roughly 145 pounds. I have a bauer vapor blade in the backstrom curve that I got from a friend. I am looking for a new shaft. I should be using intermediate if im not mistaken. I was looking at the warrior evo grip 70 flex that is 48 inches long. I liked the looks of it and the price. Will this stick break easily? Im looking for something that is good for me yet durable.
In that price range, only 2 Warrior intermediate standard shafts are available, Evo and AK27. I have a friend who used an AK27 shaft with a Bauer blade. He bought it 2 years ago and the shaft is nearly intact. I can tell you for sure that the Warrior shafts are durable. Performance wise, I've never tried the Evo but the AK27 is really good.
Both look good to me.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:58 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
In that price range, only 2 Warrior intermediate standard shafts are available, Evo and AK27. I have a friend who used an AK27 shaft with a Bauer blade. He bought it 2 years ago and the shaft is nearly intact. I can tell you for sure that the Warrior shafts are durable. Performance wise, I've never tried the Evo but the AK27 is really good.
Both look good to me.
I cant find the ak27's in stock anywhere

Old
12-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
I cant find the ak27's in stock anywhere
Just stick to the Warrior Evo then. The only other standard intermediate shafts I found were the Total One and Total One NXG, but those are over $100.
I own a Total One shaft, bought it 2 years ago, doesn't show any weaknesses. If you're willing to spend more money, you could go for it.

Old
12-29-2013, 03:28 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Quote:
Just stick to the Warrior Evo then. The only other standard intermediate shafts I found were the Total One and Total One NXG, but those are over $100.
I own a Total One shaft, bought it 2 years ago, doesn't show any weaknesses. If you're willing to spend more money, you could go for it.
Im looking at the total ones and might go with them, its either that or an evo

Old
12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Quote:
by any chance do you know how warriors flex works? Ive heard its different. they have a 50 and a 75 flex, which would be stiffer

Old
12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
AIREAYE

They have 55 and 70 flex.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
They have 55 and 70 flex.
im assuming 70 is stiffer for warrior?

Old
12-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
im assuming 70 is stiffer for warrior?
As it is for any brand. The higher the number, the stiffer it is.

Old
12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had a lot of trouble balancing out the AK47 intermediate shaft. It was too light and blades were too heavy, even top end ones. I much prefer tapered shafts, but if you are going to use standard blades, going with a cheaper/heavier shaft like the EVO isn't a bad idea for balance.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I had a lot of trouble balancing out the AK47 intermediate shaft. It was too light and blades were too heavy, even top end ones. I much prefer tapered shafts, but if you are going to use standard blades, going with a cheaper/heavier shaft like the EVO isn't a bad idea for balance.
AK47 ?
Funniest typo of the year
What you said is true though. OP said he has a Bauer Vapor blade, but it won't feel the same if it's a Vapor X 3.0 or a Vapor APX 2.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, meant AK27.

I tried it with a Montreal Euro wood blade, a Warrior "Bandito" standard blade, and finally a Warrior AK27 standard blade...all three felt too heavy and awkward to use. Last time I tried using standard shafts.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 08:06 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Help with my 2Piece??

I went to the store and picked up an intermediate 70 flex warrior evo grip shaft, along with a bauer p92 blade. The blade is an extremely tight fit and wont go in all the way. Is this a problem with all blades and warrior shafts? Is it the shaft that is the problem? Will i have this problem with other blades(should i consider a new INT shaft)? How can I solve this

Old
01-01-2014, 08:48 AM
JaeTM

From my quick research, the Warrior Evo is a standard shaft. What kind of blade did you get? A Standard or Tapered? If you bought a tapered blade, that would probably be why.

Also, I'm not too familiar with Intermediate size sticks. If you bought a senior blade, maybe you need a junior blade?

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 10:55 AM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I have a Warrior Evo intermediate and I can fit standard blades in perfectly. The only thing I can thing of is either you're not heating up the shaft enough or Bauer blades are a teeny bit larger. I have a friend with a Reebok shaft and his Bauer p88 was a really tight fit.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 11:47 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
The guy in charge around here, Jarick, posted a video on how to insert a plug into the bottom of your stick to extend it. I have no experience with two-piece sticks but maybe the same would work.

He used a heat gun to heat up the shaft, allowing the material to be more malleable and, when cooling, contract back, holding the piece in-place.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 03:14 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah, meant AK27.

I tried it with a Montreal Euro wood blade, a Warrior "Bandito" standard blade, and finally a Warrior AK27 standard blade...all three felt too heavy and awkward to use. Last time I tried using standard shafts.
I was looking at the easton Eq50 shaft in 70 flex. It is tapered, is that better or worse than standard? Some people say not to get it because tapered blades are hard to find..is that true? I feel like I want a senior shaft, im only about 5'8 though..I can flex my friends 85 flex easton stick

Old
01-01-2014, 03:56 PM
AIREAYE

Tapered. And what matters more is not that you can flex something by pushing it against the ground, but if you can manage to store enough energy into it in a game situation. Tapered blades are carried by the big box online stores.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:06 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Easton and Combat Shafts?

Im 5'8 and im looking for a new shaft, I came across this http://www.hockeymonkey.com/combat-h...ar-tpr-sr.html

and

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...y-eq50-sr.html

I heard that with the eastons you can cut 3 inches off without changing the flex.
How long are the Combat Shafts? Ive never heard of them before and im looking for the best stick for my size

Old
01-01-2014, 06:33 PM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
Easton, much like bauer, has lines on the shaft indicating the flex if the shaft was cut to said line. Bauer recently purchased Combat, hence the cheap prices and inventory liquidation. For the price, both shafts are good choices. The Combat is tapered, so I would guess 53" would be the length.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Im 5'8 and im looking for a new shaft, I came across this http://www.hockeymonkey.com/combat-h...ar-tpr-sr.html

and

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...y-eq50-sr.html

I heard that with the eastons you can cut 3 inches off without changing the flex.
How long are the Combat Shafts? Ive never heard of them before and im looking for the best stick for my size
I don't think you can cut 3 inches off an Easton shaft and not have the flex change (although Easton sticks/shaft are slightly whippier than their rated flex). I assume Combat shafts are as long as Bauer shafts. The regular length for a senior shaft is 52-54 inches. The new Warrior senior shafts are 56 inches long though.

At 5'8, I think you should settle for an Intermediate Warrior tapered shaft. They are almost as long as senior shafts (51 inches), and they are whippy (70 flex). They will not require any cutting for you.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...-grip-int.html
I'm 3-4 inches taller than you, and I find 54 inch shafts like the senior Total One to be perfect for me. You should be good with a 51 inch shaft.

Last edited by Onetimersniper28: 01-01-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to link
Old
01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Quote:
I don't think you can cut 3 inches off an Easton shaft and not have the flex change (although Easton sticks/shaft are slightly whippier than their rated flex). I assume Combat shafts are as long as Bauer shafts. The regular length for a senior shaft is 52-54 inches. The new Warrior senior shafts are 56 inches long though.

At 5'8, I think you should settle for an Intermediate Warrior tapered shaft. They are almost as long as senior shafts (51 inches), and they are whippy (70 flex). They will not require any cutting for you.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...-grip-int.html
I'm 3-4 inches taller than you, and I find 54 inch shafts like the senior Total One to be perfect for me. You should be good with a 51 inch shaft.
I would like to keep the shaft for a while, im still growing . I was thinking of the easton tapered shaft that is 55 inches at 70 flex, and cutting it to about 50 inches. Either that or the combat but there are no real specifications of the combat and I dont want to buy it blindly

Old
01-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Renbarg

I don't have a warrior shaft but I used to use Bauer blades and they always seemed to be the toughest to get in. You gotta heat up your shaft good, and I wouldn't use any tape on the blade, its already a tight fit. Make sure to heat up all the way down to where the blade insert will end.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:03 AM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
I would like to keep the shaft for a while, im still growing . I was thinking of the easton tapered shaft that is 55 inches at 70 flex, and cutting it to about 50 inches. Either that or the combat but there are no real specifications of the combat and I dont want to buy it blindly
Keep in mind that when you cut 5 inches off your 70 flex shaft, it will be around 90 flex, which might be too stiff for you since you're still young and growing up

Old
01-02-2014, 06:34 AM
njdevils92
Rookie User

Quote:
Keep in mind that when you cut 5 inches off your 70 flex shaft, it will be around 90 flex, which might be too stiff for you since you're still young and growing up
I thought that the eastons let you cut 3 inches off before getting the advertised flex?