HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Dead Line

Old
01-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Why would someone...

take a gamble on Kaspar if he has another year at about twice his value left on his contract?

What's funny is we sit here and talk happily about how Sather hasn't traded youth for vets, but the reality is in this cap age, and where the Rangers are (with such an expensive, useless defense), it's actually tougher to pull some of those trades off.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 04:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
take a gamble on Kaspar if he has another year at about twice his value left on his contract?

What's funny is we sit here and talk happily about how Sather hasn't traded youth for vets, but the reality is in this cap age, and where the Rangers are (with such an expensive, useless defense), it's actually tougher to pull some of those trades off.
Yeah, at this point it'd be pretty difficult for us to move youth for a vet. There's just not that much cap space.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

At this point, the Rangers would probably have to give up a draft pick just to get Kaspar traded--unfortunately his style of play and the injuries that have happened have pretty much robbed him of his effectiveness. Malik might be tradeable, but his salary for next year will make it hard to find a taker. And anyone who thinks we could get anything for Ozolinsh is smoking something rare and expensive.

As for Hall and/Orr, who cares? They don't have a lot value and whatever we would get will either be years away from helping the club or a real project who would probably have trouble staying on the NHL roster.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 07:05 PM
mike14

Would Cullen have much value for a team going at the cup? I know his salary is bit high but he's proven that he can get it done when it counts and it seems that a lot of teams need some help down the middle.
Trading him would also mean that the Rangers can resign Nylander, have a crack at the proper 2nd line C through FA and give Dubinsky a proper shot at the 3rd line job next season.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Ola

We will of course be looking for bigger names like always, like if someone like Joe Thornton/Marcel Hossa/Dany Heatly becomes available again.

Other then that I am not sure if there is much to be expected. Depends on how Krog handles himself.

I think the our 5th-6th D situation is kind of a mess. I could see something go down there. Like Rachunek or Pck straight up for a more defensive minded D with the same value.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 07:36 PM
SML

There is NO reason whatsoever for the Rangers to go Lamoriello and try to entice a team to take on Kasparaitis by offereing them anything. The Rangers have more money than they are allowed to spend. Sending Kaspar to hartford costs them money only, not any assets. Any move like this would have to come from above Sather's head and I doubt all the sudden Dolan is going to get all righteous about paying a guy 3mil+ to NOT play, versus giving up an asset like a young player or a pick. My question is what to do with Shanahan if we fall far behind in the race. The guy is the total package, socring, leadership, cap friendly deal... There is nothing not to like. If I am a true contender, and by true contender, I mean NOT the Rangers, Shanahan is a guy who could spark some serious interest. The best part about it is he's an UFA next season as well, so you could trade him, as well as get him to come back and before you tell me that would never happen, remember Doug Weight did exactly that this season.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We will of course be looking for bigger names like always, like if someone like Joe Thornton/Marcel Hossa/Dany Heatly becomes available again.

Other then that I am not sure if there is much to be expected. Depends on how Krog handles himself.

I think the our 5th-6th D situation is kind of a mess. I could see something go down there. Like Rachunek or Pck straight up for a more defensive minded D with the same value.
i think you mean marrion hossa

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
There is NO reason whatsoever for the Rangers to go Lamoriello and try to entice a team to take on Kasparaitis by offereing them anything. The Rangers have more money than they are allowed to spend. Sending Kaspar to hartford costs them money only, not any assets. Any move like this would have to come from above Sather's head and I doubt all the sudden Dolan is going to get all righteous about paying a guy 3mil+ to NOT play, versus giving up an asset like a young player or a pick. My question is what to do with Shanahan if we fall far behind in the race. The guy is the total package, socring, leadership, cap friendly deal... There is nothing not to like. If I am a true contender, and by true contender, I mean NOT the Rangers, Shanahan is a guy who could spark some serious interest. The best part about it is he's an UFA next season as well, so you could trade him, as well as get him to come back and before you tell me that would never happen, remember Doug Weight did exactly that this season.
Honestly, I don't think the Rangers need to find a way to trade Kaspar (and give up a draft pick to get the trade done), the Devils were in a much tighter cap situation. And in any case, should they need to make some cap space available, they can always waive Kaspar and then buy out the last year of his contract over the summer. He's not tradeable anyway--I've always enjoyed seeing him play and he's a shadow of his former self. I can't imagine that any playoff bound team would see him in a different light.

As for Shanahan, I doubt the team will fall out of contention for a playoff spot by the trade deadline (unless there is a serious injury), so I don't think it will happen. Of course if something bad happens that shatters playoff hopes, then trading him becomes a possibility, but remember, management thinks this is not only a playoff bound team, it's one that could make some noise in the playoffs. Trading Shanahan is admitting defeat for them.

Old
01-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i think you mean marrion hossa

To my defense I am taking painkillers for a infected wisdom tooth...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 09:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Honestly, I don't think the Rangers need to find a way to trade Kaspar (and give up a draft pick to get the trade done), the Devils were in a much tighter cap situation. And in any case, should they need to make some cap space available, they can always waive Kaspar and then buy out the last year of his contract over the summer. He's not tradeable anyway--I've always enjoyed seeing him play and he's a shadow of his former self. I can't imagine that any playoff bound team would see him in a different light
Buying Kasparaitis out is more expensive than putting him on re-entry waivers.The cap hit for the buyout is spread out over two years while the re-entry waiver cap hit is just for the rest of this season(whatever is left) and next season

66% paid out over two years or 50% paid out over 1 year

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 09:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Bruins have Brad Boyes centering their 3rd line.His cap number is $1.5 million and signed through 2007-08.Boston could use help on defense and especially another right handed shooting defenseman since they only have one in Milan Jurcina.Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli knows Karel Rachunek from their days together in Ottawa.Boyes can play RW and C

Rachunek for Boyes as a framework for a deal

Old
01-19-2007, 09:55 AM
SML

Am I missing something here? Isn't sending Kaspar to Hartford the cheapest option, cap wise? You take no hit at all then, but you still have to pay the guy. Do you guys think someone will take him at half price? I thought the issue was his play more than his pay, if he can't cut it at 3 mil he's not going to get any better at 1.5. As far as admitting defeat, if we're out of the race, we're defeated. Whether we admit it or not is irrelevant. We may as well get something out of it. I think Rachunek is ok, but certainly replaceable. To borrow a Seinfeld term he's "vegetable lasagna" to me. If we could get a decent player back for him, go for it.

Old
01-19-2007, 10:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Am I missing something here? Isn't sending Kaspar to Hartford the cheapest option, cap wise? You take no hit at all then, but you still have to pay the guy. Do you guys think someone will take him at half price? I thought the issue was his play more than his pay, if he can't cut it at 3 mil he's not going to get any better at 1.5. As far as admitting defeat, if we're out of the race, we're defeated. Whether we admit it or not is irrelevant. We may as well get something out of it. I think Rachunek is ok, but certainly replaceable. To borrow a Seinfeld term he's "vegetable lasagna" to me. If we could get a decent player back for him, go for it.
Do you want an extremely unhappy and bitter Kasparaitis poisoning the atmosphere in Hartford?Kasparaitis and Renney really don't like each other.Last week,Renney told Kasparaitis he didn't want to hear or read any comments about him being unhappy with his benching.Buying him out is more expensive than just leaving him in Hartford.The re-entry part is best for both sides.Buying Kasparaitis out will cost two $1 million cap hits for 2007-08 and 08-09

Old
01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
SML

I understand that you don't want a pouty veteran clouding things up down in Hartford. But I find it hard to believe they couldn't spin it well enough for him to accept it. You don't think they could sell him on a player/assistant coach role? They're paying him anyway. The guy has to see the writing on the wall here. Even if he does find a place to play NHL minutes, how long does he have left, another year or two? He could have two years as an assistant down in Hartford on his resume by then. Even if he doesn't bite on it, just tell the guy his roster spot is assigned to the hartford Wolfpack, but his *** is assigned to his couch. Don't call us, we'll call you, just tell us where to send the check. Whether he actually shows up to play at all doesn't really matter, does it?

Old
01-19-2007, 02:57 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
You never know, at the deadline some strage things could happen. I'd bet somebody would be willing to give up something for at least Kaspar.
You found a GM with a lower IQ than Sather!? Who is this monkey that is in charge of a team's fortunes?

Seriously, when I read posts like this all I can think is what if you were a rival GM, who presumably knows as much as you about hockey, what would you give up for Kaspar?

If your answer is anthing more than 3 rolls of toilet paper you too qualify to run the Rangers.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 03:50 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You found a GM with a lower IQ than Sather!? Who is this monkey that is in charge of a team's fortunes?

Seriously, when I read posts like this all I can think is what if you were a rival GM, who presumably knows as much as you about hockey, what would you give up for Kaspar?

If your answer is anthing more than 3 rolls of toilet paper you too qualify to run the Rangers.
Don't be a jerk. Kaspar is worth at least a half dozen rolls PLUS some of those cute little decorative soaps.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Buying Kasparaitis out is more expensive than putting him on re-entry waivers.The cap hit for the buyout is spread out over two years while the re-entry waiver cap hit is just for the rest of this season(whatever is left) and next season

66% paid out over two years or 50% paid out over 1 year
You're assuming that a team would actually pick him up off of re-entry waivers. I'm arguing that there is (and will be) no interest by any team in getting Kaspar, this season or next.

Old
01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Kaspar's salary is arsing him. He's my favourite player, but that is a big salary for a defensive defenseman. I know he has at least two years left in him, but it's gonna be tough for him and the Rangers 'til his contract expires.

And there's this number here, from TSN. Says Rangers are talking with the Penguins, Prucha and Hall for Malone and Orpik.

That'd be bad if it happens.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 05:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
Kaspar's salary is arsing him. He's my favourite player, but that is a big salary for a defensive defenseman. I know he has at least two years left in him, but it's gonna be tough for him and the Rangers 'til his contract expires.

And there's this number here, from TSN. Says Rangers are talking with the Penguins, Prucha and Hall for Malone and Orpik.

I like Malone and Orpik, I love Prucha and dislike Hall. If Prucha's future on this team is as a marginalized winger, then for his sake I hope it gets done.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post

I've always liked Kaspar too, but I really doubt he has a whole lot of high level hockey left.

As for the trade idea with Pittsburgh--I'd be surprised if Pittsburgh wanted Hall. They didn't want him over the summer (they wanted Moore), I don't see why they would suddenly change their mind now, especially given the stellar season Hall has had.