HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Taylor Pyatt - Claimed By Pitt 1/2

Old
01-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane One View Post
He was up with the Rangers? Was he scratched all the time or something? Because I honestly don't think I heard his name in at least a month.
He's been a healthy scratch.

01-01-2014, 02:18 PM
bernmeister

Nothing personal vs the guy, but fin-o freakin fuggin lee!!!

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

If we didn't have so many 4th line players, wouldn't mind a 4th line of Boyle-Moore- Pyatt, but Dorsett is not good enough to be on the 3rd line and with his speed, heart and PK is more valuable than Pyatt

Mio41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Where are all the Pyatt lovers from last season when he had a good 2 weeks and was the star of the boards? Guy sucks no heart limited talent AHL player now..

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
TBLightning24
SFY for President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Good. Callahan needs to showcase his talent (shot-blocking) to all the attending scouts.

Was thinking more like this he can show off.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L3be2cWq6Q

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZOtyQ2H3CQ

or maybe this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TePv1EpC0do

But yeah he only blocks shots.

TBLightning24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 02:33 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Pyatt was a very solid 3rd liner before coming here.

I'm telling you folks, there's something in the water here.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 02:38 PM
RangersHank*

[QUOTE=NYRangers1979;77120335]

Was thinking more like this he can show off.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L3be2cWq6Q

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZOtyQ2H3CQ

or maybe this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TePv1EpC0do

But yeah he only blocks shots. [/

Videos dont change the fact that Callahan is a 3rd liner

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Why is Brooks the only one reporting this? Hell, Gross has even tweeted since noon and it was just to tell us he's travelling and will update on team USA later

No report from Lavoie, McKenzie, or Dreger either who are usually all over the waiver wire.

Guess everyone is caught up in the Winter Classic?

He'll clear.
Hehe, reporters drink like there is no tomorrow. Half of them are probably not in game shape right now...

Seems like Gross, Leonard and co are the classic hang-over type guys too. Not suprised at all to not see reports from them today. Seems like Brooks is the type that screws off the cap from the Vodka bottle and then throws it away.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Where are all the Pyatt lovers from last season when he had a good 2 weeks and was the star of the boards? Guy sucks no heart limited talent AHL player now..
Footage not found

Old
01-01-2014, 03:21 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

195 day season. Today is day 93. $925,000 counts. Pro-rate the $625,000. $298,077. $1,223,077 is the total cap charge assuming Pyatt is assigned to the AHL and remains there. Rangers would save $326,923 sending Pyatt to the AHL. Not much.

Pyatt is making $1.65M in salary. Another team is not claiming him. Nearly $900,000 for the rest of the season. $863,076.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 03:57 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
195 day season. Today is day 93. $925,000 counts. Pro-rate the $625,000. $298,077. $1,223,077 is the total cap charge assuming Pyatt is assigned to the AHL and remains there. Rangers would save $326,923 sending Pyatt to the AHL. Not much.

Pyatt is making $1.65M in salary. Another team is not claiming him. Nearly $900,000 for the rest of the season. $863,076.
They might have a deal in place taking back some salary in another lousy contract, but want to see if there is a team willing to take him off waivers for nothing first. Taking back a nobody basically. Has happened before...

Sather gets his obligatory annual goon?

I thought they only get the cap hit for the sum that is above $925.000 (I E $625.000 prorated = $298,077). Or is this incorrect??

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:37 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Quote:

Rangerboy goes again making stuff up

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 09:12 PM
MSD

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 10:02 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:

Isn't it the other way around? 925,000 doesn't count, so you prorate that to see how much you save (483,846). Still, it barely makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
They might have a deal in place taking back some salary in another lousy contract, but want to see if there is a team willing to take him off waivers for nothing first. Taking back a nobody basically. Has happened before...

Sather gets his obligatory annual goon?

I thought they only get the cap hit for the sum that is above $925.000 (I E $625.000 prorated = $298,077). Or is this incorrect??
Yes and no. They had his full 1550000 for 93/195 days. They're going to have 625000 for 102/195. So basically 1066154, or 483845 saved.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 05:00 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I see what I posted. Don't drink on an empty stomach. Not very smart.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post

No kidding. I applauded his acquisition. It was no huge move, but he's always been a dependable bottom six player that was responsible defensively and could chip in some points. Then he comes here and just looks like a pylon. Seems to happen pretty regularly in these parts.

When was the last time we acquired a "third line" guy that lived up to or exceeded expectations? Prust? Fedotenko? Barnaby? The list is small.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:55 AM
eco's bones

Can't say I cared much for us signing him especially after finding out he hadn't killed any penalties with his last team. Bring someone in for your bottom lines he's absolutely got to be versatile. Didn't fight--didn't kill penalties, he hit sometimes but never very hard, didn't score much--what did he do? He got a $1.5 mil per year contract. Way too much for what he did--even if he did continue to occasionally contribute to the offense. Wish him good luck but I've never wanted him on this team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post

Drury, Redden, Gomez, Richards, Pyatt, Pouliot, Frolov, Halpern, Voros, Lisin, Mara... So many players that did not bring what was expected. However, I don't think this only applies to the Rangers. I am pretty sure you find these examples in every franchise.

The real problem we have, is that we seem unable to pick a strategy and stick with it. We go for FA's, then we trade them, we draft D-men, and afterwards we have to trade for forwards. If this franchise could make up their mind about how they want to continue forward, we might stand a chance at being a solid contender in the future.

01-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Vitto79

Well bright side is Pyatt is a ufa and off the books soon. Ditto for powe, asham , Moore and Boyle . Boyle should atleast get a player back

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Can't say I cared much for us signing him especially after finding out he hadn't killed any penalties with his last team. Bring someone in for your bottom lines he's absolutely got to be versatile. Didn't fight--didn't kill penalties, he hit sometimes but never very hard, didn't score much--what did he do? He got a $1.5 mil per year contract. Way too much for what he did--even if he did continue to occasionally contribute to the offense. Wish him good luck but I've never wanted him on this team.
I remember Pyatt with the Canucks, when he killed penalties. Did he somehow lose the ability to do that? He was never the most swift of skaters, so it's hard for me to believe he didn't kill penalties here due to deteriorating skills. Was he just misused? It's not unusual for us to bring in a guy and then not utilize him to the fullest extent.

Who knows. He clearly didn't work out though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him land somewhere else next year and reestablish himself as a valuable role player.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
No kidding. I applauded his acquisition. It was no huge move, but he's always been a dependable bottom six player that was responsible defensively and could chip in some points. Then he comes here and just looks like a pylon. Seems to happen pretty regularly in these parts.

When was the last time we acquired a "third line" guy that lived up to or exceeded expectations? Prust? Fedotenko? Barnaby? The list is small.
Heres the thing. What was Pyatt's job here? What was his role? What situation could be looked at as "this is a job for Taylor Pyatt?" Nothing. And that seems to be the case with most imported bottom 6 players. Their job is to seemingly just eat some minutes -- thats not good enough for me, and plays into the bigger picture of a rudderless organizational philosophy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:41 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I remember Pyatt with the Canucks, when he killed penalties. Did he somehow lose the ability to do that? He was never the most swift of skaters, so it's hard for me to believe he didn't kill penalties here due to deteriorating skills. Was he just misused? It's not unusual for us to bring in a guy and then not utilize him to the fullest extent.

Who knows. He clearly didn't work out though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him land somewhere else next year and reestablish himself as a valuable role player.
Not sure he was ever a really good pk'er--if I remember correctly he played two years in Phoenix and wasn't used in that role at all. Torts didn't use him as a pk'er either. Torts had his guys--Boyle, Callahan, Prust, Fedotenko--blocking shots. Av had Pyatt killing penalties until he took him out of the lineup.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:49 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Heres the thing. What was Pyatt's job here? What was his role? What situation could be looked at as "this is a job for Taylor Pyatt?" Nothing. And that seems to be the case with most imported bottom 6 players. Their job is to seemingly just eat some minutes -- thats not good enough for me, and plays into the bigger picture of a rudderless organizational philosophy.
That about sums it up. Pyatt had no job other than to give some guys a breather. OTOH Halpern's job seemed to be just take face-offs and kill penalties and that was it. Asham's was just to fight--even guys well above his weight class. He didn't pk either. Powe comes in basically to do what Halpern was doing. These were the replacements for Prust, Dubinsky, Ansimov and Fedotenko that Sather gave Torts to work with. Collaterally losing Prust dragged Boyle's play down.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Not sure he was ever a really good pk'er--if I remember correctly he played two years in Phoenix and wasn't used in that role at all. Torts didn't use him as a pk'er either. Torts had his guys--Boyle, Callahan, Prust, Fedotenko--blocking shots. Av had Pyatt killing penalties until he took him out of the lineup.
I just went back and looked at his statistics: one year in Phoenix, he killed penalties. Two years, he didn't. Vancouver he did on and off. So I guess he's capable, but doesn't excel in that area? I don't know. BRB's makes the point, though--why did we bring him in? I thought he could be a decent third/fourth line guy that killed penalties and scored 25 or more points. I guess if he's not killing penalties, and no one else on the team can score, then he's just a warm body.

I feel like we sign guys, and we can see roles for them, but they're not used in that role that we envisioned. Or they weren't cut out for the role to begin with. I don't know. As I said though, I bet Pyatt finds some degree of success elsewhere.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Quote:
That about sums it up. Pyatt had no job other than to give some guys a breather. OTOH Halpern's job seemed to be just take face-offs and kill penalties and that was it. Asham's was just to fight--even guys well above his weight class. He didn't pk either. Powe comes in basically to do what Halpern was doing. These were the replacements for Prust, Dubinsky, Ansimov and Fedotenko that Sather gave Torts to work with. Collaterally losing Prust dragged Boyle's play down.
It's amazing how much money this GM on these none-dimensional players.