HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would a Winter Claasic ever come to Nashville?

Old
01-01-2014, 04:50 PM
NorthAlPredfan

vCash: 500
Would a Winter Claasic ever come to Nashville?

Do you think the Preds could ever get a Winter Classic at LP Field? I think the city has enough to offer especially with the new convention center. Just wondering your thoughts on it.

NorthAlPredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:01 PM
1stLineCottonCandy

No sorry but there's just no way with the weather and interest

1stLineCottonCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:06 PM
AintLifeGrand

I think a winter classic/outdoor game in the Vanderbilt stadium would work.

Or Preds vs Jets in Bobby Dodd Stadium in Atlanta

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 09:04 PM
hockey diva

In a word, no. These games are played in big media markets with big name teams, we have neither.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 09:30 PM
NorthAlPredfan

I guess I could see the small market argument but if they're doing a game in LA this season then I can't see winter in Nashville as a deterrent. Maybe we'll be big enough one of these days.

NorthAlPredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlPredfan View Post
I guess I could see the small market argument but if they're doing a game in LA this season then I can't see winter in Nashville as a deterrent. Maybe we'll be big enough one of these days.
preds @ dallas (jerry_dome)

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

No chance we get a Winter Classic. Those are reserved for the big markets (understandably so). Best we can hope for is something like the Stadium Series eventually.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Preds33

All I can say is why? Other than the Over Hyped publicity, I do not see any reason for them. I personally wouldn't attend even if I was paid to go. The views are HORRIBLE from the pictures of some of these games. I'd rather just stay in arenas where you can at least see the game play.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:41 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Maybe at a newly renovated 'Dores stadium. But otherwise? Nah.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:55 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
In a word, no. These games are played in big media markets with big name teams, we have neither.
Yeah Buffalo has such a bigger media market than Nashville.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Jarnberg

Nashville wouldn't draw the interest from the area to fill up a football stadium. The market is crap hockey market. Not to mention we do not have the players that draw casual fans. We don't make it to TV and thus have no national draw either.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:11 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Nashville wouldn't draw the interest from the area to fill up a football stadium. The market is crap hockey market. Not to mention we do not have the players that draw casual fans. We don't make it to TV and thus have no national draw either.
No we are not Detroit or Toronto but the rest of what you said is crap.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:21 AM
AintLifeGrand

We would be able to easily fill Vanderbilt Stadium...

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
We don't have the history or the exciting players that team usually have in the Winter Classic. We aren't a draw on national TV. Our TV numbers struggle here. We have to give away thousands of tickets to sell out at already very low prices. I turned on the radio this morning, no talk what-so-ever about the NHL, the Winter Classic, the WJC US team choking, the Olympic roster. They'd rather talk about MTSU women's softball than our NHL team. This isn't the market that could support a Winter Classic.

Not saying we won't get there eventually, but at this time, this is a struggling hockey market.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
100 more people just moved away from detroit.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If there was one most of the people would leave to buy milk and bread

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:12 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Poile wasn't averse to the idea, when interviewed on NHL Radio this afternoon.

Old
01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
We don't have the history or the exciting players that team usually have in the Winter Classic. We aren't a draw on national TV. Our TV numbers struggle here. We have to give away thousands of tickets to sell out at already very low prices. I turned on the radio this morning, no talk what-so-ever about the NHL, the Winter Classic, the WJC US team choking, the Olympic roster. They'd rather talk about MTSU women's softball than our NHL team. This isn't the market that could support a Winter Classic.

Not saying we won't get there eventually, but at this time, this is a struggling hockey market.
Hmm that's why more games are on fox this year than ever. The t.v. ratings must be horrible. The Nashville media talks about the Preds the next day after every game. 102.5 has a segment with a preds color guy it's seems like everyday and coffee with a coach on Wed. No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in Pittsburg over the Steelers.

Struggling hockey market who has more kids playing hockey than ever before Middle TN and in the process of building a multi million dollar new facility in South Nashville. Yeah the hockey market is hurting.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:08 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

All hockey markets not located in Canada are struggling - and even some of them are struggling (see: Winnipeg).

Old
01-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Fo Shea Shea

Quote:
Hmm that's why more games are on fox this year than ever. The t.v. ratings must be horrible. The Nashville media talks about the Preds the next day after every game. 102.5 has a segment with a preds color guy it's seems like everyday and coffee with a coach on Wed. No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in Pittsburg over the Steelers.

Struggling hockey market who has more kids playing hockey than ever before Middle TN and in the process of building a multi million dollar new facility in South Nashville. Yeah the hockey market is hurting.
None of that matters because this "thriving hockey market" still isn't going to support an event the size of the Winter Classic.

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:50 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

So when are they going to relocate the Music City Bowl, then?

Old
01-03-2014, 06:28 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
So when are they going to relocate the Music City Bowl, then?
Yeah there is no way they can have the Winter Classic if they have the Music City Bowl. They could change the date but it would take days to get the ice ready at LP Field.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:48 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Hmm that's why more games are on fox this year than ever. The t.v. ratings must be horrible. The Nashville media talks about the Preds the next day after every game. 102.5 has a segment with a preds color guy it's seems like everyday and coffee with a coach on Wed. No they are not going to be talked about more than the Titans. Neither do the Penguins in PittsburgH over the Steelers.

That's mostly true, but on gamedays there is thorough coverage of the Pens, even when the Steelers are playing. Plus it helps that the guys on the sports talk radio stations up there actually know hockey. Now when it's playoff time, gamedays are pretty much wall to wall Pens coverage. Reports from morning skate, the locker room, the coach, the other team. There are still segments of Steelers, Pirates, other news, but the focus of the show is all Pens. Not like here in the playoffs, it's still 1 1/2 hours of NFL draft, 30 minutes of baseball, 30 mins of spring football, and maybe 30 minutes of Preds coverage.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 08:37 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

No, you missed the point: if Nashville can't handle an event the size of a Winter Classic, it can't host something the size of a BCS Bowl game.

Last edited by jwhouk: 01-04-2014 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Cat jumped on keyboard halfway through posting.
Old
01-04-2014, 08:55 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
That's mostly true, but on gamedays there is thorough coverage of the Pens, even when the Steelers are playing. Plus it helps that the guys on the sports talk radio stations up there actually know hockey. Now when it's playoff time, gamedays are pretty much wall to wall Pens coverage. Reports from morning skate, the locker room, the coach, the other team. There are still segments of Steelers, Pirates, other news, but the focus of the show is all Pens. Not like here in the playoffs, it's still 1 1/2 hours of NFL draft, 30 minutes of baseball, 30 mins of spring football, and maybe 30 minutes of Preds coverage.
Oh gosh am I going to be sentenced to jail time for my lack of detail on spelling Pittsburgh? Or you just going to bench me for my lack of the little things Trotz?

Who cares if the radio is not Preds talk 24 hours a day. That has nothing to do with my conversation with the other person about whether Nashville is such a crap hockey market like he tried to say.

Will we ever have a Winter Classic? No. but that still does not mean the hockey market in Nashville or the city sucks. The reason is it makes no sense to have something like that in the city of Nashville who has only had a hockey team for 15 years and haven't really done anything deserving of something like that. Win some championships and build the game in the area and then lets see. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the size of the media.