HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brule suspended!

Old
12-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Kai Yo T

vCash: 500
Brule suspended!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...report-to-ahl/

Interesting...

Last edited by Kai Yo T: 12-30-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Sorry, can't seem to post an active link from mobil... nevermind, seems to work
Kai Yo T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:30 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Yo T View Post
Hmmm;

How likely is he to jump ship over to KHL now. What kind of agreements or the lack of between NHL & KHL would allow or prevent him from moving back and forth?

letowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:33 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

I wonder if this is the end of the line for him in the NHL.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Sciamachy
Shadow Coyote

Brule knew he was looking at his final chances to stick in the NHL based on his interviews so he's most likely taking time to re-evaluate his options at this point. He gave an honest effort to get back and make it work, I wish him nothing but the best.

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Muppet
7th Round Pick

vCash: 934
Eh, three games isn't really a lot of time to prove yourself. I thought he looked energized throughout those games and was just unlucky to not get a couple of points. Plus, the entire team has been playing some poor hockey as of late, so perhaps he would have done better if we were actually playing Coyotes hockey.

Regardless, I'd say he made a deal, and that if he was being shipped back to Portland, he'd hit the high road to the KHL or something. It's a shame it never worked out, but good luck to him in the future.

Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:22 PM
rt
SinglePotStillWhisky

His AHL salary is 135 kay this year. If he stayed in the States, he would get to pay a big fat chunk of that to the government, as well.

There is at least a very good chance that he's no longer able to earn a decent living playing hockey within the next few years.

If the KHL is willing to give him a million bucks and let him keep the whole dang pile of it, he'd be stupid not to go. That's just not thinking of his future.

I'd quit my job right now and leave my employer in a lurch if I could acquire a job that would pay me a million bucks to live and work in Moscow for less than a year. That would set up my whole future and my family's future.

It's not like he's trading in twenty million for twenty five. This could be a life changing amount of money for a guy who may find himself out there in the real world looking for a normal job in the not to distant future.

12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
2yotesfans88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Eh, three games isn't really a lot of time to prove yourself. I thought he looked energized throughout those games and was just unlucky to not get a couple of points. Plus, the entire team has been playing some poor hockey as of late, so perhaps he would have done better if we were actually playing Coyotes hockey.

Regardless, I'd say he made a deal, and that if he was being shipped back to Portland, he'd hit the high road to the KHL or something. It's a shame it never worked out, but good luck to him in the future.

In the three games GB was given decent ice time. 13 min in the game vs ana. i thought he played well in the first and 3rd game. good energy and speed. but hes not finishing. that can be said for most of the team but i can see why they would send him down and bring up brown. you need the physical player in that role.

There was a weird interview and we shouldnt pass judgment on a brief clip but...when he first came up he was being interviewed and he made a comment that in the practice facility there wasnt a locker for him. he had his stuff on a folding chair. he said something to the effect of...200+ games in the nhl and i still dont get a locker....it was strange as the normal "hockey answer" should have been.... i dont care if my stuff is in a locker, on a folding chair or a box in the corner im just happy to be playing in the nhl. you could tell he was annoyed.

also he didnt sign in Nov and the money in the KHL was much more than phx offered him. Phx gave him a take it or leave it offer.

His points in the AHL have been very good. he probably feels he deserves a fair look (10games) and after three games hes being shipped back. i can see his frustration. but he should also remember zero NHL teams were lining up to sign him.

this will no doubt end his time here in phx, but it will also bring up all the old stories of his off ice issues and questions if those problems still exist. that will probably drive other nhl teams away leaving KHL the only option.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 02:35 AM
Vip
In the clouds

Good luck Brule and thank you for giving us some effort. I was probably your biggest supporter and I'm pissed to see you go.

Cheers.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 03:31 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
His AHL salary is 135 kay this year. If he stayed in the States, he would get to pay a big fat chunk of that to the government as well. If the KHL is willing to give him a million bucks and let him keep the whole dang pile of it, he'd be stupid not to go.

I'd quit my job right now and leave my employer in a lurch if I could acquire a job that would pay me a million bucks to live and work in Moscow for less than a year. That would set up my whole future and my family's future.

It's not like he's trading in twenty million for twenty five. This could be a life changing amount of money for a guy who may find himself out there in the real world looking for a normal job in the not to distant future.
I know we're not supposed to take you seriously under any circumstances, but this is the truth. Every word of it.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 08:01 AM
hbk

Ironic that Brule would make comments about a lack of respect. His NHL career is likely over.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Gwyddbwyll

He's always going to feel aggrieved and that he had "one more" if he had the chance. I dont blame him, its a human thing.

Best of luck to him, enjoyed watching him at his best.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 02:19 PM
HanzalSoHotRightNow

Wish things worked out for him. Has been my favorite Yotes for since they got since they claimed from the Oilers. Hope things work out for him somewhere else.

HanzalSoHotRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 11:32 PM
Muppet
7th Round Pick

vCash: 934
From the thread on the main board, it looks like he's completely called it quits.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...itting-hockey/

Well, that's some what surprising. I wish him all the best.

Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Sciamachy
Shadow Coyote

That's too bad, but if your heart isn't in it, it isn't in it. Hope he can find something to make him happy outside of hockey. After some of the stuff he's dealt with in his personal life settling down and having a normal life may not be a bad thing. All the best to him.

Old
01-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Desert Ice 11
;)

vCash: 450
I bet he will be in the KHL by next year after small stint of normal life.

Desert Ice 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 11:24 AM
rt
SinglePotStillWhisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
From the thread on the main board, it looks like he's completely called it quits.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...itting-hockey/

Well, that's some what surprising. I wish him all the best.
I'd hate the traveling, too. I hate being away from home. I'm a complete home body.

Having spent my life scraping and clawing for peanuts, there is just no way I could walk away from the money he's walked away from. He's made a mistake.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 02:50 PM
SniperHF
Mod Supervisor
Not aufheben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
there is just no way I could walk away from the money he's walked away from. He's made a mistake.
Even a guy like Brule, who hasn't made gobs and gobs of money in the NHL yet has still made quite a bit of money though. He may simply not need it. His last contact was 1-way at 1.85m for 2 years. Before that he made somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 to 2.5 on his 2 way deal. So unless he went around literally throwing money he's probably got himself a nice nest egg already.

Sure I wouldn't walk away from another 3-5m for playing for a few years overseas either. But he might be set up enough that it's not as big a deal as it seems from the outside.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:06 PM
PhoPhan

The barriers to entry for hockey are extremely high for family's that don't have a lot of money. Without knowing anything about Brule's background, I feel confident assuming he's got a fine safety net. Not to mention he's 27 and has already made more money than 99.999% of other 27-year-olds.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Sciamachy
Shadow Coyote

For those that never saw the original story when it was out this is worth the read on Brule and what was going on off the ice:

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/n...f-c379c198053e

It's not just as simple as he made a lot of money and is thus ok. Saying he's making a mistake by leaving hockey is pretty ill-informed. Nobody knows where he is at mentally or what has led to this decision. If he feels he needs to step away from hockey because it's better for himself to do so, so be it, it's not our call to judge him on it.

Old
01-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Vip
In the clouds

Apparently he wants to pursue a firefighting career.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:59 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Apparently he wants to pursue a firefighting career.
Sometimes what we think would be a dream isn't really someone else's dream. Pat Tillman had a very promising career as an NHL player, but he heard a different call and ended up joining the military. I know that it was sold as a patriotic duty and all of that...but duty or not, if he didn't feel that joining the military was more "right" for him than continuing in the NHL, I don't think he would have done it.

By the time someone gets to the NHL, they've spent so many hours on the ice, in the gym, thinking hockey 100% of the time, traveling to get to practice, games, etc. If you're a super-star making millions, I'm sure the experience is wonderful. If you're a marginal player getting sent from team to team, NHL to AHL and back again - it's probably not quite as great. I can imagine that eventually the idea of just being able to settle down somewhere and having a predictable life and schedule can be pretty enticing.

It all comes down to - money isn't everything. If you get to the point where you'd rather quit than go to one more game, it's time to get out.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote