HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

whats it gonna take?

Old
01-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
BSchenn should be the top line left winger eventually.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:02 AM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Need: Top pairing defensemen, an upgrade on the 2nd or 3rd pairing as well, upgrade the 4th line to make it a viable NHL line
Would be nice: Scoring winger

Basically, if 2 of Morin, Hagg, and Ghost can make the NHL in 2 years, we could be well on our way. The 4th line should be easy to fix as those guys hit FA every year.

There's no easy solution for a scoring winger, but it might be possible to trade forward for forward to get someone that fits better.

I don't see any easy ways out of taking a slower approach

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Hiesenberg

To be a long term contender? Maybe 2-3 years, but honestly Mason has the skill level to get on a sick roll in the playoffs and carry them deep.

All it takes is a hot goalie.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think so too.

17-33-50 in his last 87 games... while being messed about from RW to LW to C and with every team-mate under the sun.

That is 47 points per 82 games... which over a full season would be 100-120th in scoring among forwards... he is already a legitimate 2nd line forward.

He is only 22 now.

JVR produced 64 points in 118 over the same age range... which is 44 over 82.

So he is marginally outproducing JVR at the same age. (well, JVR was a few months older in that time.)

His PPG for his minutes played last year were among the best for players in his minute range.

Am I satisfied with his play given the hype he had? No. He plays too much on the periphery at the moment, but he has shown he is willing to take the body, and when he does he can be very disruptive and effective.

But he is still producing points, and I am almost certain he will be a 25-35-60 kind of player.

He does not seem to do anything amazingly well, apart from his shot, but he does nothing badly really.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Not sold yet. Talent is there but disappears for far too many games. Even in the games he scored, he tends to be invisible for a lot of shifts. Doesn't move his feet consistently. Next year, year 4 in the league and 23 yrs old, is the make or break season IMO.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:16 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I just don't like how Schenn disappears for loonngg periods of time. He's not nearly as physical as he was when he first came into the league, he gets absolutely lost away from the puck most times and ends up chasing the play. Offensively, he tends to take bad angle and low percentage shots in positions when he shouldn't be that often lead to turnovers and is pretty ineffective unless someone is giving him a prime scoring chance. I don't HATE him as a player, but I think if you can package him and Luke and maybe get a guy like Pacioretty, or add our 1st and move up to get Ekblad, you do it.

Pacioretty is a guy who has a much better nose for the net and is a better pure goal scorer than Schenn is. He'd be great on the top line with Giroux and Voracek.

Ekblad is a guy who has top pairing defenseman written all over him; something we've needed since pronger left the lineup. Luke is a decent young #4-#5 guy, and Schenn is a good young 2nd liner, but that's depth I'm willing to sacrifice for a talent like Ekblad. It's easier to replace 2 guys like the Schenns than it is to find a guy like Ekblad any other way.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Curufinwe

Which team will give us the #1 pick for the Schenns?

Old
01-02-2014, 09:57 AM
BernieParent

The obvious roster move would be a true-blue #1 Dman who has a significant offensive / puck-moving game. Second on my priority list would be a tighter system in both the offensive and defensive zone: more pressure and smarter puck decisions in the former and minimizing the running around and unpressured turnovers in the latter. Third would be the current lines to get hot at the same time and not have one trio carrying the rest for games at a time.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I just don't like how Schenn disappears for loonngg periods of time.
Same as JVR now though JVR's good streaks tend to be longer and louder than BSchenn's due in large part to opportunity and linemates.

Quote:
or add our 1st and move up to get Ekblad, you do it.
Schenn + Schenn + 1st for 1st overall? Really steep price, but probably one I'd pay as well.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:15 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Which team will give us the #1 pick for the Schenns?
Not just the Schenns, maybe something like

Brayden Schenn
Luke Schenn
Robert Hagg
1st round pick

To Edm For

2nd overall

Because I think Reinhart will still go 1st if Buffalo is picking.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Brayden Schenn
Luke Schenn
Robert Hagg
1st round pick

To Edm For

2nd overall

Are you saying that is what it would take or that is what you would offer? Either way it is ridiculous. You'd give up a 22 year old forward who has shown way more promise than people around here like to give him credit for, a 25 year old defenseman who admittedly is not playing well but is still young enough to turn it around (PATIENCE, REMEMBER?), last year's second round pick that by all accounts should be in the NHL in a year or two, and a first round pick this year for the #2 overall pick? That is crazy.

First of all, I think the pick could be had for less. Second of all, holy overpayment.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

Brayden Schenn
Luke Schenn
Robert Hagg
1st round pick

To Edm For

2nd overall

If that's what it takes then I wouldn't do it. Ekblad may look like a sure fire elite defenseman, but he's not the virtual lock that guys like Crosby or Ovechkin were. That's too much to pay for a guy that could wind up being "only" a top 4 defenseman.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Curufinwe

With our luck Hagg would end up being the better player.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Are you saying that is what it would take or that is what you would offer? Either way it is ridiculous. You'd give up a 22 year old forward who has shown way more promise than people around here like to give him credit for, a 25 year old defenseman who admittedly is not playing well but is still young enough to turn it around (PATIENCE, REMEMBER?), last year's second round pick that by all accounts should be in the NHL in a year or two, and a first round pick this year for the #2 overall pick? That is crazy.

First of all, I think the pick could be had for less. Second of all, holy overpayment.
Yep, Brayden Schenn alone could get a top 10 pick.

Moving up 5 places in the 1st outside the top ~5 is usually worth your ~ early 3rd round pick or 2nd + the 1st, depending on whether you are moving from say 18th to 13th or 11th to 6th.

I imagine moving to 2nd overall would cost though.

Based off a model calculating what teams actually pay to move up, to go to 2nd overall would cost two mid 1sts. Like 10th and 14th picks. (using only draft picks.)

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...lue-trading-up

So if you trade Brayden Schenn for a ~top ten pick and package that pick and our 1st ~2nd would likely be feasible... but ofc depending on the scenario, who is 2nd etc.

That deal above is an absolute rip off for the Flyers.

Old
01-02-2014, 11:12 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Well then, whatever it takes to move up to #1 or #2 I'd do. If it ended up being less than that, then even better.

Old
01-02-2014, 01:34 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp

just finished watching russia vs usa-first thing,if i was an flyers scout i would be from the al davis school:size,speed,strength+attitude.i would be trying to build a big powerful la kings style team that won the cup vs slick shifty ********* pens,blackhawks teams.not just because i ****ing HATE both of those teams,i like heavy hockey.anyway i just saw that type of player that blew me away -russian-nikita zadorov.can someone (who has seen both morin and zadorov play more than a couple games like me)please explain and hopefully comfort me on why we took morin over this guy.hopefully because you think morin is just as good and has as much potential.iknow there is the russian angle but my god zadorov looks awesome.6 foot 5-230lbs-skates,moves great-INSANE shot from the point andMEAN.tell me there is a weak point,otherwise i wish we would have picked him instead.
also during the i saw another monster russian dman-nikita tryamkin-6foot7-230+ undrafted.ray ferraro said ''he couldnt believe no one has taken a FLYER on this player" tell me that isnt an omen.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:40 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp View Post
just finished watching russia vs usa-first thing,if i was an flyers scout i would be from the al davis school:size,speed,strength+attitude.i would be trying to build a big powerful la kings style team that won the cup vs slick shifty ********* pens,blackhawks teams.not just because i ****ing HATE both of those teams,i like heavy hockey.anyway i just saw that type of player that blew me away -russian-nikita zadorov.can someone (who has seen both morin and zadorov play more than a couple games like me)please explain and hopefully comfort me on why we took morin over this guy.hopefully because you think morin is just as good and has as much potential.iknow there is the russian angle but my god zadorov looks awesome.6 foot 5-230lbs-skates,moves great-INSANE shot from the point andMEAN.tell me there is a weak point,otherwise i wish we would have picked him instead.
also during the i saw another monster russian dman-nikita tryamkin-6foot7-230+ undrafted.ray ferraro said ''he couldnt believe no one has taken a FLYER on this player" tell me that isnt an omen.
Because Morin can hurt people and hits people with his stick. Or so they said on Flight Plan.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Appleyard

Morin and him had shown about as much as each other offensively in their junior careers when drafted, and Morin has a higher ceiling and is meaner.

Old
01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
daynus

patience

we have a pretty good young nucleus. if we hang onto our current playoff spot, which i do not see why we shouldnt be able to, then their is no purpose to trade harts. if we do fall out of the playoffs close to the deadline, then yah, trade harts, he can net us another 1st in 14. the 14 draft is not gonna be the best or the worst, by any means. it is a really good looking draft for wingers, and that is a position we need depth. morin should progress nicely, but it is gonna take a few years for that huge kid to be ready for the bigs. what i am seeing sweden do with hagg, may be what we need to do with him as well. he is big, strong skater, can lay out some hits. but sweden is using him as a deep defensive defenseman. a pk dman. and in that role, he is a very good, relaxed, natural passer, or what you guys in philly would call him a pmd. so i am gonna guess we will use him at the nhl level as a defensive dman, a second pp dman, 1st pk unit. and that will work out nicely for us, guys like giroux, couts,read,laughton on the pk, and hagg getting the puck to them, gonna be a scary pk unit.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Hope that 1 of our D-men we've drafted turns into a #1 D-man or top pairing defender at worst.

That's the biggest thing, IMO. And continue to draft well. I'd like a scoring winger with G, not sure how to obtain one as of now.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:48 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp

Because Morin can hurt people and hits people with his stick. Or so they said on Flight Plan[/QUOTE]

LOL THAT IS AWESOME.also can someone please tell me how to properly reply w/quote it looks cool when everybody else does it,with the dark grey background behind quote.thanks

Old
01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp View Post
LOL THAT IS AWESOME.also can someone please tell me how to properly reply w/quote it looks cool when everybody else does it,with the dark grey background behind quote.thanks
Hit the quote button under the post you want to quote.

01-02-2014, 02:52 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hit the quote button the the post you want to quote.
ok here goes.

Old
01-02-2014, 02:56 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef invictus View Post
hit the quote button the the post you want to quote.
yes!!thanks you just made my day

Old
01-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Not sold yet. Talent is there but disappears for far too many games. Even in the games he scored, he tends to be invisible for a lot of shifts. Doesn't move his feet consistently. Next year, year 4 in the league and 23 yrs old, is the make or break season IMO.
He needs to at least be given the opportunity to play 1LW before the end of the season to see how he looks there. For a majority of his time here he hasn't had much help from linemates. Briere was terrible, Hartnell is terrible, Lecavelier has been in and out constantly, and Simmonds is a good player but he's mostly useful in front of the net which doesn't help Schenn much. Schenn needs to be given an opportunity to play on a line with good linemates where his main responsibility is to shoot instead of being put in a position where he's forced to try to do too much.

I have no idea if it'll work but there's no reason to not try it out.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote