HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Glen Sather

Old
12-30-2013, 08:26 AM
RangersHank*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
Does anyone actually like Sather and think hes doing a good job? Seriously how is he still employed?

He is employed because he is doing his job. His job is to put a team on the ice good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough for a cup and it all makes money. As long as Sather is making Dolan money, he is doing his job. Its sad that all a NYR GM has to do is make a playoff team and if it wasnt for Torts, that 11-12 team would have never existed

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 10:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
His job is to put a team on the ice good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough for a cup and it all makes money.
A lot of editorializing here.

I don't believe for a second that what you described is the mandate. Otherwise he wouldn't have lasted as long to the first lockout. And to say make the playoffs but don't win the Cup is insanse.

Dolan is a clown who knows nothing about hockey. But at least he realizes that and keeps his hands off the team and on an open wallet.

It's all on Sather. He left Edmonton because of meddling ownership. He didn't come to NY to take orders from a no-nothing spoiled brat. He's the Great and Powerful Slats.

12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
RangersHank*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I don't believe for a second that what you described is the mandate. Otherwise he wouldn't have lasted as long to the first lockout. And to say make the playoffs but don't win the Cup is insanse.

Dolan is a clown who knows nothing about hockey. But at least he realizes that and keeps his hands off the team and on an open wallet.

It's all on Sather. He left Edmonton because of meddling ownership. He didn't come to NY to take orders from a no-nothing spoiled brat. He's the Great and Powerful Slats.
The first lockout teams were disgusting so imo there wasnt much that can be done with those teams. After the 1st lockout we made the playoffs but never won the cup or made a cup final and thats what i think Dolan is content with. He knows nothing about hockey so as long as his team is a playoff contender and fans keep coming and are being fed the "anything can happen" ********, he is happy. There isnt much difference between this years Dolan or the 11-12 Dolan when we came in 1st, he has no clue so as long as the team can make the playoffs and win a round, he is happy.

Once fans get smart and stop wasting their time, then maybe a change will be made. If Dolan starts losing money i think a change might come but until then he is happy with the "retool and regroup" mentality.

Old
12-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

I picture Sather dusting off his Edmonton Cup rings and putting one on each finger before his meetings with Dolan -- and hypnotizing the owner with stories from 30 years ago.

And I agree about Dolan being basically hands off with the Rangers. His trust in Slats for a decade and a half is his downfall. Dolan has done FAR more to **** up the Knicks.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:01 AM
OverTheCap

Dolan lets Rangers management do their own thing, unlike with the Knicks where he is prone to meddling and making personnel decisions. I remember Dolan got pissed at Renney and Sather when Orr didn't dress in a game against the Flyers and Jagr got rocked, that's really the extent of his involvement with interfering with Rangers day-to-day decision-making to my knowledge.

Dolan either doesn't care enough about the Rangers or he feels he isn't knowledgeable about hockey to get more involved, perhaps a combination of both. Because anyone who has any inkling of knowledge about the NHL wouldn't be saying that Sather is the best GM in the game today, and he would have been canned years ago.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
The first lockout teams were disgusting so imo there wasnt much that can be done with those teams. After the 1st lockout we made the playoffs but never won the cup or made a cup final and thats what i think Dolan is content with. He knows nothing about hockey so as long as his team is a playoff contender and fans keep coming and are being fed the "anything can happen" ********, he is happy. There isnt much difference between this years Dolan or the 11-12 Dolan when we came in 1st, he has no clue so as long as the team can make the playoffs and win a round, he is happy.

Once fans get smart and stop wasting their time, then maybe a change will be made. If Dolan starts losing money i think a change might come but until then he is happy with the "retool and regroup" mentality.
But you see, you're playing both sides of the coin. If the mandate is to make as much money as possible, the "those teams were disgusting" excuse doesn't matter.

Neil Smith was fired after the team missed the playoffs three seasons in a row. The team was four seasons removed from making a run to the ECF and six seasons removed from winning the Cup.

Sather failed to make the playoffs with a clean slate and unlimited resources (with him as the coach) for four seasons. If the standard was what you say it is, then logically Dolan would have fire him then especially when you consider the amount of money spent.

So I don't think there is this make the playoffs is the mandate, money first mentality. Dolan has spent a lot of money to pay Ranger players to not play for the Rangers.

To your point about not spending money, I completely agree and have not since before the first lockout. I'm actually going to my first game since before the Jagr trade next week as a work thing I can't get out of.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:37 AM
RangersHank*

Quote:
But you see, you're playing both sides of the coin. If the mandate is to make as much money as possible, the "those teams were disgusting" excuse doesn't matter.

Neil Smith was fired after the team missed the playoffs three seasons in a row. The team was four seasons removed from making a run to the ECF and six seasons removed from winning the Cup.

Sather failed to make the playoffs with a clean slate and unlimited resources (with him as the coach) for four seasons. If the standard was what you say it is, then logically Dolan would have fire him then especially when you consider the amount of money spent.

So I don't think there is this make the playoffs is the mandate, money first mentality. Dolan has spent a lot of money to pay Ranger players to not play for the Rangers.

To your point about not spending money, I completely agree and have not since before the first lockout. I'm actually going to my first game since before the Jagr trade next week as a work thing I can't get out of.
What does the Smith era have to do with this?

Dolan seems to be ok with this team being in this cycle or else he would have changed it years ago. More free agents bring more fans to the game, its chump change because if it was a problem then Dolan would fire him but he hasnt. Like i said, as long as fans keep coming to the games and buying merchandise and having fath in the team, he is content. If people start not buying tickets, not buying merchandise and all that then i think Dolan will make a move. As long as the money rolls in, what does he give a ****? Winning is nice but money is too.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:42 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Sather is Rasputin.

The 2005 season would have been his last. Five years without the postseason and no end in sight.

He magically agrees to draft a random Swedish goalie in the 7th round in 2000, and amazingly, that 7th round pick is the reason Sather is still the team President.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 03:06 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Sather is Rasputin.

The 2005 season would have been his last. Five years without the postseason and no end in sight.

He magically agrees to draft a random Swedish goalie in the 7th round in 2000, and amazingly, that 7th round pick is the reason Sather is still the team President.
All too true. He magically finds a way to attain the mediocrity necessary for him to keep his job.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Sather is Rasputin.

That pick was a Christer Rockstrom pick. Jackass had nothing to do with it.

THIS concoction is Sather's own. As has all of the other ones that he has presided over. He has drafted poorly, spent badly and made worse personnel decisions. The onus is on him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 08:57 PM
backofthefridge

this guy needs to GTFO. same crap for over a decade now. he has no idea how to build a team. brings in overrated (nash, redden, drury, gomez) or aging players (richards, drury) instead of investing in youth through prospects and picks. he trades callahan's expiring contract along with futures for a player we basically already have in zuccarello. not even bring up the fact that MSL is 39 and a midget and RW. we haven't had a decent center with size, speed, and the ability to win faceoffs in the time he's been GM. center is arguable the most important position.

get this guy the **** out of here already.

backofthefridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthefridge View Post
this guy needs to GTFO. same crap for over a decade now. he has no idea how to build a team. brings in overrated (nash, redden, drury, gomez) or aging players (richards, drury) instead of investing in youth through prospects and picks. he trades callahan's expiring contract along with futures for a player we basically already have in zuccarello. not even bring up the fact that MSL is 39 and a midget and RW. we haven't had a decent center with size, speed, and the ability to win faceoffs in the time he's been GM. center is arguable the most important position.

get this guy the **** out of here already.
As a devil fan, I feel the same way about Lou.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:01 PM
danman1202

it will never happen but he needs to go

he's needed to for a decade at least

danman1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:01 PM
showjaxx

showjaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:06 PM
backofthefridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
As a devil fan, I feel the same way about Lou.
at least Lou has won you guys a few cups. sather pays 3rd line centers like drury ($7 million) and holik ($9 million) to play 1st line center and EXPECTS THIS TO WORK. he does this over and over again.

whenever sather actually decides to try building through the draft, he does it at the wrong time (1999 draft, 2004 draft).

sather defines mediocrity. every move he makes is wrong. dolan is the only person even more ********, since he thinks sather is some kind of genius.

backofthefridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:08 PM
rdhstlr23

One day we'll draft all our talent rather than poach overpaid older players.

rdhstlr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:08 PM
NYRangers1388

agree wholeheartedly.

MSL trade has proven out to be perhaps one of the worst in sports ever seen.

NYRangers1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:11 PM
bto131
Mcdonagh 4 Captain!

Glen sather is awful. If I had two bullets it him and then him in the face again

bto131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthefridge View Post
at least Lou has won you guys a few cups. sather pays 3rd line centers like drury ($7 million) and holik ($9 million) to play 1st line center and EXPECTS THIS TO WORK. he does this over and over again.

whenever sather actually decides to try building through the draft, he does it at the wrong time (1999 draft, 2004 draft).

sather defines mediocrity. every move he makes is wrong. dolan is the only person even more ********, since he thinks sather is some kind of genius.
Sather wasn't GM at the time.

05-07-2014, 09:14 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Sather needs to retire and GTFO

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:19 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

If there was a burning car with Glen Sather and a dog in it, and you could only save one - what would you name the dog?

05-07-2014, 09:23 PM
bl02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
If there was a burning car with Glen Sather and a dog in it, and you could only save one - what would you name the dog?
Lol. I would call him cigar

bl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Riverdale

A thread that deserves to just be stickied.

It is bad move after bad move with this guy. What an absolute failure.

He will be one of the biggest black marks in NYR history for the next 100 years.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:28 PM
bl02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
A thread that deserves to just be stickied.

It is bad move after bad move with this guy. What an absolute failure.

He will be one of the biggest black marks in NYR history for the next 100 years.
Well said this thread should not go anywhere cause the Rangers certainly are not going anywhere with Sather

bl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:31 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Didn't he say that if he had our money, the Rangers would win a Stanley Cup every year.

Well..why is he still employed?

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote