HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stuff Happening Behind the Scenes - What's going on that we don't know?

Old
01-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Last time I checked we were tied for 3rd in the east. I'd say they are doing an ok job behind the scenes.
While it's true our place in the standings is good, nobody should ignore the fact this team has more or less been outplayed since the back to backs against NJ. It stands to reason that if the team cannot get back into a groove they are bound to collapse and free fall in the standings. The only thing keeping them afloat right now is Carey Price. We are getting killed in the possession game and we can't defy the odds forever. Right now we're one of the worst ES teams in the league, this cannot be minimized, those teams usually get massacred in the playoffs.

There is still lots of time to turn this thing around mind you but we're seeing some worrying signs from this team, the most important to me being the Jekyll and Hyde personality. The fact we deviate so often from the game plan, lose focus, panic and get completely dominated is a concern. All of this for a team that was ridiculously healthy for that stretch of bad play.

I don't think Therrien is getting canned unless we get in a position to miss the playoffs entirely, but something has to happen right now, most likely a shake up trade, because there are no signs of a turnaround. Maybe getting that missing scoring RWer would be enough to jump start this team back to life.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:23 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have no idea, but all I know is that it's the first time ever that I have lost interest in the performance of this club.

For all the alienating that Gauthier did, I've never felt so distant emotionally from the club as I have this season under Therrien and Bergevin.

Hard to identify with a team that doesn't have an immediate identity, no apparent/explicit/obvious vision or direction. Lastly, the amount of perceived favoritism is hard to digest.
I posted the exact same thing yesterday. I've missed 3 games in a row and wasn't making it through most games prior to the games I missed. This coming from someone who's watched every game for as long as I can remember.

I don't have any interest in them. Therrien is terrible, MB couldn't run a hockey team to save his life. I'm sick and tired of supporting this team. Their record is fine, it's not that, I just can't get into them.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have no idea, but all I know is that it's the first time ever that I have lost interest in the performance of this club.

For all the alienating that Gauthier did, I've never felt so distant emotionally from the club as I have this season under Therrien and Bergevin.

Hard to identify with a team that doesn't have an immediate identity, no apparent/explicit/obvious vision or direction. Lastly, the amount of perceived favoritism is hard to digest.
Apparently you have not watched the 400+ games between 1997 and 2004 where the team filled more what you are describing then it currently does.

Maybe you are feeling emotionally distant from the club for other reasons...

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I posted the exact same thing yesterday. I've missed 3 games in a row and wasn't making it through most games prior to the games I missed. This coming from someone who's watched every game for as long as I can remember.

I don't have any interest in them. Therrien is terrible, MB couldn't run a hockey team to save his life. I'm sick and tired of supporting this team. Their record is fine, it's not that, I just can't get into them.
if MB couldn't run a hockey team, I wonder how Serge Savard managed to survive his last 2-3 disastrous years as GM. Because people tend to forget that the team started imploding with him.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Big Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post
While it's true our place in the standings is good, nobody should ignore the fact this team has more or less been outplayed since the back to backs against NJ. It stands to reason that if the team cannot get back into a groove they are bound to collapse and free fall in the standings. The only thing keeping them afloat right now is Carey Price. We are getting killed in the possession game and we can't defy the odds forever. Right now we're one of the worst ES teams in the league, this cannot be minimized, those teams usually get massacred in the playoffs.

There is still lots of time to turn this thing around mind you but we're seeing some worrying signs from this team, the most important to me being the Jekyll and Hyde personality. The fact we deviate so often from the game plan, lose focus, panic and get completely dominated is a concern. All of this for a team that was ridiculously healthy for that stretch of bad play.

I don't think Therrien is getting canned unless we get in a position to miss the playoffs entirely, but something has to happen right now, most likely a shake up trade, because there are no signs of a turnaround. Maybe getting that missing scoring RWer would be enough to jump start this team back to life.
Really true.
What's scarier is that after all these years of getting all those injuries, we finally have a healthy line-up, and we play the least menacing/exciting brand of hockey I've ever seen the team play since forever. Depth? What does that even mean?

I don't understand. If I was Molson, and all my summer investments were healthy scratches, I'd make a few phone calls asking wtf is going on here???

If I'm Eller, i'm asking for a trade. He's in the same situation Jordan Staal was in, except he's stuck behind Desharnais instead of Malkin & Crosby, despite outproducing him in the same role for the past 80 games or so.

If I'm Brière, I'm asking for a trade too. You know Brière is old and soft as butter. Yet you sign the guy and expect him to produce in a 4th line grinding role.

If I'm Emelin, I'm asking for a trade too!! How come Bouillon is STILL BEING PLAYED ON THE PP'S 2ND WAVE?? He never shoots. has 1 point in 308450239845 PP minutes (this number is a close estimate btw ).

If I'm Pleks, omg i wont even go there. Stuck with a winger who has two broken arms. And Renee Bjork. Give the guy a freaking chance. And next year they'll probably give him some trash too. Or worse - resign Gionta.

Murray, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Subban, even Bournival at some degree are all paying for the incompentence of Therrien and the blind trust of Bergevin in the former's coaching methods. Therrien threw that ''NO EXCUSES'' stuff out the window for a few select players, and well, that's what you get. A team that doesn't play to it's strength, and players that won't go the extra mile for you because they now see through your ********. You have 5 players under 5'10, and you want to be a grinding team? I don't even get it.

Big Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Milhouse40

For me, it starts with the signing of Briere.

MB made an offer to Briere and Lecavalier cause he was looking for a RW?
It doesn't make any sense at all. That wasn't the plan. Was looking for a center.

We had Gallagher and Gionta on the right side, adding Briere is universally stupid.
And Briere wouldn't have sign here with a promise to play RW all year long.

But right now, my guess is Briere asked for a better treatment or for a trade.
I really think either Desharnais or Briere as to go.

I also think that some players are not really happy right now.
Eller, Briere, Bournival, Murray, Bouillon , Parros and even Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

Not having any injuries doesn't help, but they all would like to have another/bigger role
i'm pretty sure. I'm not saying they are pissed off but they surely aren't 100% on boards with what's going on.

I won't say that Therrien lost his room....but he don't have it all under control either!

Milhouse40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:11 AM
QuickWrister

I really have no idea what to think about this team. I used to think they just needed a big clutch TRUE top line winger . . . but now I think if Bergevin brings a guy like that in, Therrien will use him the wrong way and turn him into complete crap.

So now I'm in the 'Fire Therrien' camp. These blown leads are getting funny. But Bergevin better do SOMETHING soon.

We need a top line winger - SOMEONE for Plekanec. We could use a top 4 dman too. Those moves should come cheaply . . . lol, Oh, and a new coach.

QuickWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post

Exactly right. One month of totally uninspired play, and this while they're healthy!

Everything we're seeing -- the mental errors, the late-game collapses, the unwillingness to battle, the sloppy passing -- screams of a massive psychological letdown. It's not the system or the forward lines, it's doubt and lack of confidence. It looks very similar to what we saw at the end of Jacques Martin's tenure, when the Habs lost game after game in the 3rd period because they kept retreating into a defensive shell. It's unsustainable, both from a win perspective and from a personnel perspective.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's just mid-season fatigue, the same December slump we see so often with this team. Maybe they'll pull out of it. But it's just as likely that there are some unhappy campers in the locker room and a shakeup is coming. I'm just waiting for someone to open their mouths, a-la Cammalleri two years ago.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Big Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Exactly right. One month of totally uninspired play, and this while they're healthy!

Everything we're seeing -- the mental errors, the late-game collapses, the unwillingness to battle, the sloppy passing -- screams of a massive psychological letdown. It's not the system or the forward lines, it's doubt and lack of confidence. It looks very similar to what we saw at the end of Jacques Martin's tenure, when the Habs lost game after game in the 3rd period because they kept retreating into a defensive shell. It's unsustainable, both from a win perspective and from a personnel perspective.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's just mid-season fatigue, the same December slump we see so often with this team. Maybe they'll pull out of it. But it's just as likely that there are some unhappy campers in the locker room and a shakeup is coming. I'm just waiting for someone to open their mouths, a-la Cammalleri two years ago.
Pacioretty already did that.

Old
01-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Pricef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Some days I just want to burn HF to the ground.

Pricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Big Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricef View Post
You all are sooooo cool, like omg

Old
01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
My worst fear is that Pacioretty wants to be traded because he wants to live in the states. There has been a lot of rumblings about Pacioretty and I'm just worried something is going on behind the scenes.
Yeah, I fear this as well.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:33 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Link? Source?

It would only vindicate me.... Fkn Gionta, what a piece of ****.

Happy new year everyone!!

Edit: everytime I think about this team and organization I only get mad. I shouldn't be on here while on vacation... In either case I won't have consistent wifi from tomorrow on (dunno where I'm sleeping in a few days... Brazilians of HF help me) but god damn is being a Habs fan agonizing.

Simple organizational faults to blame... Constantly. We can never have a level playing field it seems, and with that I commiserate with Leafs fans.

Yknow who's at fault? Geoff fkn Molson. Comes in promising change and keeps the same ******* leadership and ******* staff and ******* policies. How is Bergevin a new GM if he keeps literally everything of the old regime, right down to the smurf fetish??

**** this organization, they don't deserve us.

yeah I'll give you the link , but I wouldn't exactly call him a source.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=56707

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
yeah I'll give you the link , but I wouldn't exactly call him a source.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=56707
Sounds like his source is this board. Seriously.

Old
01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lurk View Post
Pacioretty already did that.
I heard he said something, but don't know what it was.

Old
01-02-2014, 12:47 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Sounds like his source is this board. Seriously.
It usually is.

Old
01-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

Quote:

Its exactly that, 82 games seasons are long and even the best teams have some lows... This team is slowly evolving into one of the top team in the league, because of our youth, and that is what Bergevin said all along. All we have to do is compare our team to Toronto or Ottawa or Buffalo to see that we're in good shape...

Hullois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:58 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Yknow who's at fault? Geoff fkn Molson. Comes in promising change and keeps the same ******* leadership and ******* staff and ******* policies. How is Bergevin a new GM if he keeps literally everything of the old regime, right down to the smurf fetish??
I agree on this count. Molson's main attribute has been to have the good fortune to have been born in a well-off family, and is basically exhibit A that MBA programs do not teach critical thinking.

The team is where it is because an improvement in goalie coach has led to better performance of the one player who can have a disproportionate influence on team success, in conjunction with that player's undeniable athletic attributes. Without Price operating at this level, this team would be in the cellar in the standings.

Fortunately, they have not found a way yet to lose Trevor Timmins, who also has a disproportionate influence on this team's success.

Meanwhile, I believe that they need to be more meritocratic as well as forward-thinking: the approach to ice time attribution needs to be a weighted sum of "deadweight in the pressbox" and being patient with young players with strong potential contribute to the team. Coaching and team-building have to factor this in, as well as feature a number of tactical adjustments on a game-by-game basis, such as tweaking the power play.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Its exactly that, 82 games seasons are long and even the best teams have some lows... This team is slowly evolving into one of the top team in the league, because of our youth, and that is what Bergevin said all along. All we have to do is compare our team to Toronto or Ottawa or Buffalo to see that we're in good shape...
listen to this guy.

1-We're not that bad overall, it's a bad slump. I expect most of you to talk about a cup run as soon as we start winning again.

2-I feel like the fans are also affected because of the boring games we get ; we're losing, but we're losing a the most boring way possible. It's not a great show to watch right now

3-the source is Eklund. He's a moron (e5)

Bask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:27 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
listen to this guy.

1-We're not that bad overall, it's a bad slump. I expect most of you to talk about a cup run as soon as we start winning again.

2-I feel like the fans are also affected because of the boring games we get ; we're losing, but we're losing a the most boring way possible. It's not a great show to watch right now

3-the source is Eklund. He's a moron (e5)

You know what though.. that's exactly our problem though.

I don't want to compare with BUF OTT TOR and say "oh.. we're on the right track"

I want to compare with LA STL PIT CHI and say "oh.. look at this .. now we're on the right track"

Old
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Big Lurk

Quote:
I heard he said something, but don't know what it was.
id give you a link to my old thread, but it was deleted

But it was along the lines of what Cammalleri said, just said a tad more politely.
Playing on our heels, the system does not allows offensive creativity, not playing to their strenghts and worrying too much about the opponent instead of themselves.

Old
01-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:

I don't want to compare with BUF OTT TOR and say "oh.. we're on the right track"

I want to compare with LA STL PIT CHI and say "oh.. look at this .. now we're on the right track"
I get what you mean, I'll agree with you for the most part.

We just got out of one of the worst 10 years of hockey in Montreal, so i'm happy to see Subban and Price and the youngsters, I guess my standards got lowered over time

Bask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Capitano

Quote:

Well said.

+1

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:45 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 250
I've been under the assumption that the room tuned out Therrien a while ago. I obviously don't know if that's the case, but they're just playing a boring brand of hockey and don't look interested at all.

The 9-0-1 run gave them a lot of security for the time being against other teams in terms of a playoff position, but the gaps are starting to close in.

The only player who's shown up to play night in and night out has been Carey Price. If he doesn't play the way he has been this season, who knows where we'd be?

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:56 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Price must be in a different dressing room than the rest of them. He has been dynamite this year, he is the only thing that's keeping us ahead of Buffalo and Edmonton.
Why do people say things like this? Price has been great but give me a break.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote