HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2013, 10:53 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
this is a vast understatement.... reinhart doesn't look impressive at all really... in lots of draft years he would be outside the top-5 for sure... this draft kinda sucks period to be honest
Not sure if serious?? Both Ekblad and Reinhart made team Canada. Compare that to last year where only Mackinnon and Drouin made it or the year before where only Murray made it IIRC. Reinhart maybe wont be a Crosby but he's still going to be a damn good player. Probably the same level as RNH IMO.

Old
12-27-2013, 12:04 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
this is a vast understatement.... reinhart doesn't look impressive at all really... in lots of draft years he would be outside the top-5 for sure... this draft kinda sucks period to be honest
He isnt flashy, but he is very smart and does EVERYTHING very, very well. He is at least as good as Monahan if not better. We could use that.

Old
12-27-2013, 12:58 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He isnt flashy, but he is very smart and does EVERYTHING very, very well. He is at least as good as Monahan if not better. We could use that.
Yea look at that pass on the Horvat goal. Shows the kids on ice vision. Just a great heads up play, where a lot of players would have took the shot and most likely missed the open net. He instead finds an open man across the crease. The guy is going to be legit IMO.

Old
12-27-2013, 01:54 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Oh I agree, of course we could use Reinhart, obviously. All I'm saying is that this years draft is a good step below past drafts, and Reinhart would definetly not be a top-2 pick in almost any draft in the past 5-7 years.

But yeah, of course we could use him. Although I would much rather trade the pick if we could get back a legit top-4 defender back in the deal.

Old
12-27-2013, 01:57 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oh I agree, of course we could use Reinhart, obviously. All I'm saying is that this years draft is a good step below past drafts, and Reinhart would definetly not be a top-2 pick in almost any draft in the past 5-7 years.

But yeah, of course we could use him. Although I would much rather trade the pick if we could get back a legit top-4 defender back in the deal.
We could always just take Reinhart and tell Gagner don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Old
12-27-2013, 01:57 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

He would have been in the conversation for 1st in 2011, and 12. Your really underrating the guy.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
oilersfan11

A one-two punch of:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Sam Reinhart

would be a legit top 6 long term.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Ekblad actually doesn't look that great. I could see him as a solid second pairing dman but nothing special
I would almost prefer Reinhart over him if I had to pick. A future 1-2 punch of RNH/Reinhart would be ridiculous.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:11 PM
misfit

It's pretty uncommon for a draft-eligible player to make Canada's WJC team, and it's even less common for them to dominate.

Reinhart could be the next Jonathan Toews (who had 2 assists in his draft year at the WJCs). I'd absolutely love to see the Oilers draft him this year, probably even with the #1 pick.

12-27-2013, 02:28 PM
oilexport

I would pick a Center if possible in this draft. May not get Reinhart but what about LEON DRAISAITL ? Leon is in th top ten ranking. From what I have read he's pretty big 6'1, 200lbs, uses his size (not overly), good hands, vision ?? anybody know more ?? Thats ten pounds on Reinhart, I like the size and would consider/watch this guy.

With Nurse coming in, he will make an impact for toughness on D, we will have to upgrade the D some other way. With the Oilers wanting mobile D, we have lost size (smid, fistric) and can't handle the other teams big boys. I hope the Oilers realize we need one or two lumberjacks that take care of business.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:33 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
I would pick a Center if possible in this draft. May not get Reinhart but what about LEON DRAISAITL ? Leon is in th top ten ranking. From what I have read he's pretty big 6'1, 200lbs, uses his size (not overly), good hands, vision ?? anybody know more ?? Thats ten pounds on Reinhart, I like the size and would consider/watch this guy.

With Nurse coming in, he will make an impact for toughness on D, we will have to upgrade the D some other way. With the Oilers wanting mobile D, we have lost size (smid, fistric) and can't handle the other teams big boys. I hope the Oilers realize we need one or two lumberjacks that take care of business.
He'd be 3rd on my list after Bennett. Bennett isn't huge but has one of the best wrist shots I've seen in a long time, can skate and loves to go into traffic.

Old
12-27-2013, 03:00 PM
ElFossum

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
He'd be 3rd on my list after Bennett. Bennett isn't huge but has one of the best wrist shots I've seen in a long time, can skate and loves to go into traffic.
^things we dont have at all that bennett does. I say we keep the pick move gags ebs and next years first for help in the forward depth department. Then give people huge money in off season. I think we have to select this years pick. They can be long term solutions (assuming somehow we don't kill another prospect's potential)

Old
12-27-2013, 03:47 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post

Ray Ferraro was pretty down on Draisaitl in Germany's game against Canada this week, but I didn't think he was that bad. It's pretty tough for guys like that who are pretty much the only threat on a bad team to make an impact because the other team can pretty much put all of their focus on shutting that one guy down. I think Draisaitl would be an excellent pick, but I wouldn't take him over Ekblad or Reinhart. Probably not over Dal Colle either.

Old
12-27-2013, 05:41 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
It's pretty uncommon for a draft-eligible player to make Canada's WJC team, and it's even less common for them to dominate.

Reinhart could be the next Jonathan Toews (who had 2 assists in his draft year at the WJCs). I'd absolutely love to see the Oilers draft him this year, probably even with the #1 pick.
the WJCs are a very bad way to judge draftees... even so, canada only has 3 returning players, which will obviously affect how many under-agers they take

Old
12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
the WJCs are a very bad way to judge draftees... even so, canada only has 3 returning players, which will obviously affect how many under-agers they take
Doesn't mean they had to take these guys. I mean they could have taken Nurse over Ekblad but chose not to. I wonder why that would be?

Old
12-27-2013, 06:15 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Doesn't mean they had to take these guys. I mean they could have taken Nurse over Ekblad but chose not to. I wonder why that would be?
If team Canada picks Alzner or M.Staal over Subban or Phanuef.. it doesnt make the later 2 worse players. Overall composition plays a role into makeup for the D.

Im guessing Nurse wasnt the 'safer' pick.

Old
12-27-2013, 06:44 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
If team Canada picks Alzner or M.Staal over Subban or Phanuef.. it doesnt make the later 2 worse players. Overall composition plays a role into makeup for the D.

Im guessing Nurse wasnt the 'safer' pick.
The point is theres other guys that team Canada could have taken over these guys and they decided not to. Both Ekblad and Reinhart earned their spot on team Canada this year, people shouldn't try to take that away from them.

And it remains to be seen if Alzner or Staal make the team over Subban or Phaneuf. Personally I think it might happen, but the only reason that Alzner or Staal make the team over Subban is because they are left handed shots. The 2014 Defence looks like this IMO:

Keith-Weber
Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Phaneuf-Doughty

Seabrook, Alzner

Old
01-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Updated the OP, I figured that since we have been picking up points lately that we might be out of the 2 slot, but I was wrong.

01-02-2014, 11:24 AM
ManofSteel55

Ekblad or trade it for the best defenseman available.

Old
01-02-2014, 12:34 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Ekblad looks so calm out there....he's gotta be the Oilers choice at #2

Dumba looks awful out there...looks small and doesn't play a smart game

Old
01-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
It seems distinctly possible that Ekblad will be available to us. Judging by the teams around us, he may slide just like Jones or maybe worse. To think that Tampa of all teams turned down Jones.

I still say that the pick should be traded, but only if it gives us our 2C or 1D for the future.

Ekblad is not ideal. He is very young. We could use a veteran who could step in next season and perform. Ekblad probably won't be here for another year and won't be at full ability until he's 24-ish years old.

Old
01-02-2014, 01:28 PM
oilerfan17

Is Draisaitl definitely a centre? I've seen him listed as both C and LW. If he's a LW, I don't see how he'll be on our radar. Hall-Perron is an excellent 1-2 punch at LW, and even though Draisaitl would bring much-needed heaviness, I don't think it would make sense. If he projects as a C though, it's a much different story.

Has anyone seen much of Dal Colle? He's been scoring at a torrid pace, 39GP 27G 36A 63P, and he's 6'2". What's the book on him?

Old
01-02-2014, 01:40 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
It seems distinctly possible that Ekblad will be available to us. Judging by the teams around us, he may slide just like Jones or maybe worse. To think that Tampa of all teams turned down Jones.

I still say that the pick should be traded, but only if it gives us our 2C or 1D for the future.

Ekblad is not ideal. He is very young. We could use a veteran who could step in next season and perform. Ekblad probably won't be here for another year and won't be at full ability until he's 24-ish years old.
This.

If management still has that pick by the time the Oilers are called to make their first selection of the draft, MacT will have failed miserably, imo. Now, I certainly wouldn't be sorry that the Oilers had someone like Ekblad in their system, but it will have been a gutless (non)move to hang on to a pick that would have substantial value as a tradable asset. As ever, though, the Oilers management will likely be seduced by the potential of their latest magic bean and instead hope they can address the glaringly obvious, chronic weaknesses by trading crap in a quantity for quality deal. The pick is a quality asset right now; pair it with another quality asset (Eberle?) and they could solve a lot of problems in a single transaction.

Old
01-02-2014, 01:49 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
I thought this write-up on the top OHL prospects was pretty well done, with good descriptions of Bennett and McKeown, whom I've seen plat a lot:
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014...entry.html?m=1

Good info on Bennett and Dal Colle, for those unfamiliar with them.

Old
01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFossum View Post
^things we dont have at all that bennett does. I say we keep the pick move gags ebs and next years first for help in the forward depth department. Then give people huge money in off season. I think we have to select this years pick. They can be long term solutions (assuming somehow we don't kill another prospect's potential)
I'd also add that Bennett is really good battling along the boards (another Oilers weakness IMO). He doesn't have a lot of size, but generates strength well from his legs.

I agree with your strategy. Next year's pick should be in play, not this year's, unless it can be used in a package for a #1 D.

Closed Thread