HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan, Callahan, and McDonagh on Team USA (Continued U.S. Roster Discussion)

Old
01-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
It's not as if the team lacks scoring and left Ryan off. We're going to have three high end scoring lines, and an awesome fourth line to boot that has the ability to chip in goals. We're going to have 25+ goal two way players on our fourth line, it's not like we're putting Boyle at C because he's a great fourth liner at the NHL level or whatever.
That much I can agree with. They're not lacking people who can score.

I wanted Boyle there, just to see Bardof's reaction.

01-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Parise - Kesler - Kane
JVR - pavelski - Kessel
? - backes - oshie
Brown - ? - callahan

Is what I think we'll see. MaxPac and Wheeler competing for the wing. Stepan and Statsny for the center

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 05:55 PM
TBLightning24
Yeah Jeets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
If he wasn't pleased with Ryan's intensity, then Burke may be in for a rude awakening if Callahan and Stepan continue their uninspired play into the Olympics. Kessel's another player whose had his intensity level questioned in the past.
Callahan has not been playing bad, and he has had multiple injuries to deal with. He certainly is not playing to his usual self, but has not had time to really get a groove going, so it's an unfair assesment.

As per Stepan, he is not playing terrible, everyone just expected him to have over 70 points this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I'm glad to see team USA looked at the last 4 years of play, and not the last 30 games.
He's barely played 24 games this season, and still has 7 Goals. It's what he has done over the last 3 seasons that got him a lock. A .73 PPG average, his experience in the last Olympics, and he also has a lot of respect around the league.

TBLightning24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Wing is the strongest position for the US. I think Ryan, Wheeler, Pacioretty, and van Riemsdyk are all basically on the same level. JvR is having a decent season, but he has the existing chemistry with Phil Kessel, and Burke plucked him out of Philly, so that played in his favor as well. The comments from Burke are classless, but it's Burke so expecting class out of him is like expecting hell to freeze over.

The real puzzler for me is Orpik. Sure, he's physical and has experience, but he's also a mediocre skater and is likely to be exposed on the larger ice surface. I would have gone with Erik Johnson. Not as gritty, but a much better skater and moves the puck better as well.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:35 PM
bmw2004

Stepan didn't deserve to be in the Olympic team. They should've picked Okposo. He is gret this season for the Isles. Their color commentator was very upset and anry before the Isles game, saying that it is very unfair to the player and the Islanders organization.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Stepan didn't deserve to be in the Olympic team. They should've picked Okposo. He is gret this season for the Isles. Their color commentator was very upset and anry before the Isles game, saying that it is very unfair to the player and the Islanders organization.
**** them. It's not about the ****ing Islanders organization, it's about the best team for USA.

I do feel bad for Okposo though.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:38 PM
NYR510

vCash: 1140
Quote:
Stepan is a center. Okposo isn't a center. However, I agree about Okposo. I think he would have been a better pick than Dustin Brown.

NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Wing is the strongest position for the US. I think Ryan, Wheeler, Pacioretty, and van Riemsdyk are all basically on the same level. JvR is having a decent season, but he has the existing chemistry with Phil Kessel, and Burke plucked him out of Philly, so that played in his favor as well. The comments from Burke are classless, but it's Burke so expecting class out of him is like expecting hell to freeze over.

The real puzzler for me is Orpik. Sure, he's physical and has experience, but he's also a mediocre skater and is likely to be exposed on the larger ice surface. I would have gone with Erik Johnson. Not as gritty, but a much better skater and moves the puck better as well.
This is exactly what I'm worried about lol.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I honestly would take Okposo over every US winger but Kane, Parise and Kessel this year.

Also 100% agreed on EJ over Orpik and the ice size being a factor.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'm weary of Okposo suddenly having a breakout season, but he's been given ample opportunity over the years to "mooch" off of Tavares and has been unable to do so. Now people are saying he's suddenly learned how to ride his coattails? Not buying it. He's always had skill, but hasn't had the head for the game. Seems to be changing now.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Ail
k.

The amount of people boiling the Cally and Stepan picks down to the fact they're Rangers is hilarious.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
The amount of people boiling the Cally and Stepan picks down to the fact they're Rangers is hilarious.
Couldn't be that people made fun of the Cally pick in 2010 and he shut them the **** up, and that Stepan was the best American player in his WJC year and is still a great two-way player despite what ******** forum posters think.

inb4 rangers fans also hate on the picks.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
So many people hate the rangers is insane. They declared Kreider not a rookie for no real reason. They also say that McDonagh is not even top 15. Hanks also been kicked out of the top 10 while Quick comfortably remains top 5 despite being god awful. So much ranger hate, it's funny.

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:26 PM
nikonsniper

vCash: 822
Quote:

Im more entertained by the dullards who are complaining that their favorite LW (Saad, Okposo, etc) should have made it instead of Cally (RW) and Step (C)

nikonsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:27 PM
nikonsniper

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
So many people hate the rangers is insane. They declared Kreider not a rookie for no real reason. They also say that McDonagh is not even top 15. Hanks also been kicked out of the top 10 while Quick comfortably remains top 5 despite being god awful. So much ranger hate, it's funny.
Jealousy of NYC. Not much more than that.

nikonsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1979 View Post

He's barely played 24 games this season, and still has 7 Goals. It's what he has done over the last 3 seasons that got him a lock. A .73 PPG average, his experience in the last Olympics, and he also has a lot of respect around the league.
Easy, bud. I'm talking about both Cally and Step, both of which I think have underperformed this season by a fair margin. I'm probably one of the most vehement Callahan supporters on the board, seeing him, Step and McD at the Olympics is going to make me very happy.

They both deserve the spot, they both have a place on that roster. How the hell Pomminville didn't get one is beyond me, but whatever.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Pizza

Still can't believe Ryan is not on that team.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Captain Taco

Quote:
Organizations don't matter when it comes to Olympic hockey. It's who best fits and it's tough if a team has no players. Stepan should be on this team but Wheeler on the other hand baffled me. Maybe Okposo deserved a shot but to start mentioning the organization missing out is ridiculous

Captain Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Captain Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Still can't believe Ryan is not on that team.
Agreed and Blake Wheeler is

Captain Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 01:13 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
I honestly would take Okposo over every US winger but Kane, Parise and Kessel this year.

Also 100% agreed on EJ over Orpik and the ice size being a factor.
EJ is a righty, Brooks Orpik was a lefty. While Paul Holmgren wasn't involved in the same level he was in the prior Olympics, he shaped the thoughts of importance of L/R defensive pairs.

BUT...one player actually messes up the Left/Right pairings...and that is either Orpik or Martin (who are both lefthanded and an expected pair).

Suter (L) - Shattenkirk (R)
McD (L) - Faulk (R)
Fowler (L) - Carlson (R)
Orpik (L) - Martin (L)

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Ail
k.

The biggest two reasons I am okay with Stepan going aside from the need to fill a positional weakness is that 1.) Right now he's the extra C behind Stastny and probably won't play much unless he earns it, and 2.) He was the best player on the ice not named Jordan Eberle last time he was at an international tournament. I think his game is made for it. I'd like to at least see him get a shot.

The other thing about the Olympics that intrigues me is the possibility of another Zucc.

Old
01-03-2014, 06:02 AM
Ail
k.

Also for the record Pens fans say that Orpik's actually a good skater. So we'll see.

Old
01-03-2014, 07:28 AM
TBLightning24
Yeah Jeets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Easy, bud. I'm talking about both Cally and Step, both of which I think have underperformed this season by a fair margin. I'm probably one of the most vehement Callahan supporters on the board, seeing him, Step and McD at the Olympics is going to make me very happy.

They both deserve the spot, they both have a place on that roster. How the hell Pomminville didn't get one is beyond me, but whatever.
A lot of fans don't get it. It's not just what a player did this season, it's what they have done in the last few seasons, and Cally's and Step's stats are very strong, and are both two way players that this team needs.

No one here has even questioned Dustin Brown which I find to be a joke, because he is having a far worse season than Cally and Step combined. The last 3 seasons Cally has been more productive than Brown as well.

So fans are being stupid with this and need to see all the stats over the last couple of seasons and not just the last 20 games or so.

TBLightning24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:30 AM
darko

How does Wheeler make it and Ryan doesn't?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 08:22 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
How does Wheeler make it and Ryan doesn't?
Burke basically called Ryan worthless

also said he "has no intensity and can't even spell intensity"

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote