HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline skate problems

Old
01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Wachovia Center

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Inline skate problems

I've been having problems with my skates for a while now, can't find a solution.

They're the perfect size in the actual foot, but from the top of the heel up, it seems like they're way too wide, and i don't get any support, and can't stop (if I try i just fall). When I stand normally, my skates seem like they go out sideways. If anybody else has had this problem, did you find any solutions? Should I buy new skates?

I have Mission skates, and if I should buy new skates, would anybody recommend Bauer? My friend has a pair and he swears by them.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 02:18 AM
cstu

I don't know if you've tried this, but wrapping sock tape around the top of the skate will give you some more ankle support.

cstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds View Post
I don't know if you've tried this, but wrapping sock tape around the top of the skate will give you some more ankle support.
I haven't tried that, but I've wrapped the laces around up there, and it didn't do anything...

I've had these skates for about a year now, and probably broke them in about last April... My feet grew since then too, do you think that could be a problem?

Old
01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Impact

That's an odd sounding problem to me because I have trouble visualizing it. Have you always had problems stopping in these skates? As for the going out sideways part, that kinda sounds like severely coned wheels. But I'm also not completely sure what you mean by going out sideways.

Last edited by Impact: 01-18-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 12:39 PM
MikeD

sounds like the boot is still very stiff and your not getting the laces tight enough.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Wachovia Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact View Post
That's an odd sounding problem to me because I have trouble visualizing it. Have you always had problems stopping in these skates? As for the going out sideways part, that kinda sounds like severely coned wheels. But I'm also not completely sure what you mean by going out sideways.
By going out sideways, I mean that i can't keep the skates straight up and down... Think of how your skates look when your feet are spread far apart - that's what mine look like even if I have my skates touching each other. Yes, I always have had problems stopping, since I can't support the skate to stop, instead it just kind of flops around and I almost fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
sounds like the boot is still very stiff and your not getting the laces tight enough.
The boot isn't stiff at all, I've had these skates for almost a year now, and have skated almost everyday, I've also tried lacing them up so tight it hurts, and I still have the same problem.

Old
01-18-2007, 02:29 PM

i think he's trying to say his feet are pronating.

http://www.grafcanada.com/science/every_body.pdf

have you tried insoles or any type of arch support?

559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 02:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tol pwnage View Post
I've been having problems with my skates for a while now, can't find a solution.

They're the perfect size in the actual foot, but from the top of the heel up, it seems like they're way too wide, and i don't get any support, and can't stop (if I try i just fall). When I stand normally, my skates seem like they go out sideways. If anybody else has had this problem, did you find any solutions? Should I buy new skates?

I have Mission skates, and if I should buy new skates, would anybody recommend Bauer? My friend has a pair and he swears by them.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
What model skates do you have?

I think I had a similar problem with an older pair. The chassis was really heavy and I think it caused this problem. Basically after a few years of use, the boot seemed to bend so that the blades were leaning toward the outside, pronating like mentioned above. Even though my feet were flat against the bottom of the boot, the skate was still sideways because upper parts of the boot were bent, and I couldn't fix it. I fixed the problem by getting a new pair of skates.

Like I said, I think a lot had to do with having a bad pair of Missions with a heavy chassis. You get what you pay for. If you have a lower end pair, try investing in skates with a really light chassis, not only will it fix the problem but it will making skating a LOT easier.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Wachovia Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559 View Post
i think he's trying to say his feet are pronating.

http://www.grafcanada.com/science/every_body.pdf

have you tried insoles or any type of arch support?
Exactly.

I have, but none of them have done anything, I think the arch on my foot might be too low.

Thanks for helping.

Old
01-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Wachovia Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
What model skates do you have?

I think I had a similar problem with an older pair. The chassis was really heavy and I think it caused this problem. Basically after a few years of use, the boot seemed to bend so that the blades were leaning toward the outside, pronating like mentioned above. Even though my feet were flat against the bottom of the boot, the skate was still sideways because upper parts of the boot were bent, and I couldn't fix it. I fixed the problem by getting a new pair of skates.

Like I said, I think a lot had to do with having a bad pair of Missions with a heavy chassis. You get what you pay for. If you have a lower end pair, try investing in skates with a really light chassis, not only will it fix the problem but it will making skating a LOT easier.
Mission 500.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Bauer Vapor XR-Lites.

Old
01-18-2007, 10:11 PM

have your skates always been like that from day one?

it sounds like the boot has just broken down and isn't offering any support. the 500 is an entry-level skate and not very stiff at all.

i wouldn't get the Bauers, the XR-lites are also a price-point skate and wouldn't offer a tremendous amount of support or durability.

i would recommend purchasing a higher end skate, which will support your ankle much better, and last alot longer than a cheaper skate. if the price of a new higher-end skate is a bit too much, you can get really great deals on last year's models on clearance. it's not uncommon for last year's top of the line $450+ skate to be on sale for $200 or less. CCM, Mission, and Tour usually have the best deals on discontinued skates.

559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Wachovia Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559 View Post
have your skates always been like that from day one?

it sounds like the boot has just broken down and isn't offering any support. the 500 is an entry-level skate and not very stiff at all.

i wouldn't get the Bauers, the XR-lites are also a price-point skate and wouldn't offer a tremendous amount of support or durability.

i would recommend purchasing a higher end skate, which will support your ankle much better, and last alot longer than a cheaper skate. if the price of a new higher-end skate is a bit too much, you can get really great deals on last year's models on clearance. it's not uncommon for last year's top of the line $450+ skate to be on sale for $200 or less. CCM, Mission, and Tour usually have the best deals on discontinued skates.
I'm not really sure if my skates have been like that from day 1... Can't remember.

Higher end skates are a little out of my price range, but I'll check around for deals. Thanks.

EDIT: Found something, would anybody recommend the Bauer Flexlite 8?

Last edited by Wachovia Center: 01-18-2007 at 11:03 PM.