HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HNL hear Stan!?

Old
01-18-2007, 10:08 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
HNL hear Stan!?

Boy oh boy do I hope you've all heard what he just said. Does the physicality of the game need to be brought back? Stan doesn't hesitate to say...yes! Bettman has got the message and the league is slowly getting tougher and back to its old ways according to Stanley. He also said the key to it all...many of the classic games and great old time games are about fights, brawls, and rivalries. That old time hockey grit must be brought back!

Way to go Stan...great to see all the reporters, broadcasters agree and believe in old time, passionate hockey. Stan said it..."Game has gotten too soft". As he said, sure they could cut down on hooks...but let them hit and bump and punch

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 11:19 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Does Stan even know what year it is? In all seriousness, Stan Fischler is just a name now, his credibility as a journalist has diminished over the years...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 11:25 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Does Stan even know what year it is? In all seriousness, Stan Fischler is just a name now, his credibility as a journalist has diminished over the years...
Knock him all you want, but he's definitely right about the issue at hand.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

He also made a comment saying how he thinks the Rangers will make the playoffs. Not quite a Mark Messier gaurentee but nice to hear none the less.

EDIT: I think he is dead on though with the issue of toughness needing to be brought back into the NHL.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:47 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Good. Now lets start by getting rid if the "instigator" rule.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 07:27 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
He also made a comment saying how he thinks the Rangers will make the playoffs. Not quite a Mark Messier gaurentee but nice to hear none the less.

EDIT: I think he is dead on though with the issue of toughness needing to be brought back into the NHL.
Yeah but Stan makes gaurantee's literally every period, which are usually wrong, lol.

He's definetly correct on the physicality issue, and supposedly the refs have already started cutting back on the soft calls. Which I think we saw in the last game vs. the Devils. (there were a bunch of missed calls, Ward, and Jagr could of both sat) They still need to get rid of the stupid instigator rule. Not that the Rangers stand up for each other anyway, but for hockey as a whole I mean.

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 01-19-2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Yeah but Stan makes gaurantee's literally every periode, which are usually wrong, lol.

Touche

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 08:47 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Stans not the only one and def. not the first hockey reporter/media to say "old time hockey" should be brought back. There are tons of advocates for more physical play.

OT: The Devils actually took 4 penalties last night. Torts must have been all over the refs.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Larry Melnyk

Rivalries, yes...Hitting and the occasional fight? Yes? Goons and knuckle draggers that can't do anything else? Hell no...

Personally, I thought the POS from last year is just want you want...Fast and hard hitting, bodies flying and, especailly, D-men finally allowed to be physical...

Unfortunately, the regular season again seems to be different becasue ofthe way the game is called and in part due to coaches again taking over with excitement decreasing systems/traps...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Stan has forgotten more about hockey and how it should be played then everyone of us combined. Back off man the guy is a legend like him or not. The NHL (No Hit League) sucks in the state it is in.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I'm listing to EJ Hradek on NHL Live right now, and he says the 82 game season is more to blame for the reduction of the physical aspect of the game than the rule changes. "Players are just more concious of trying to stay health".

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
shoothepuck

If the league would let the players play, and reduce some of the phantom calls, the game would get more agressive, and be played physically. Unfortunately, NY needs to get more physical players on their roster, before it will have an impact on their game. Pacifist Tom won't help either.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:39 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
If the league would let the players play, and reduce some of the phantom calls, the game would get more agressive, and be played physically. Unfortunately, NY needs to get more physical players on their roster, before it will have an impact on their game. Pacifist Tom won't help either.
Excellent post, spot on.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Yeah, Pacifist Tom..A man who continues to dress Colton Orr for no hockey-related reason and who has yet to sit down the scoreless Ryan Hollweg?....But I do agree, its Sather, Maloney and Renney(with his other hat) that need to bring in a few agresive, enthusiastic bodies..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Very good posts...but I would also like to add...it really is unbelievable how much "tougher" and more physical the west has become. I look at a team like SJ and their lineup last night had 8-10 guys who could fight, hit, score, and just play the game. Amazing. Phoenix...LA...Anaheim...Edmonton...Calgary...Nash ville....unreal. Only the Sens can even be put up there with these teams. However...with that aside...and I just want everyone to know...like it or not I haven't missed more than 5-10 games since the lockout...I'm stickin right with it with my club. However....it's not just the instigator rule....even though that's a joke. Every time theres a questionable hit from behind...its always called. Even if its soft! Then...it almost seems like any sort of big hit will be called roughing or charging or something. Finally...how about not breaking up fights? See Eager-Ruutu? Ref jumps in before they even get their gloves off. I've seen a number of instances where refs just don't let the guys go at it. As Stan said...these are all the little things that lead to bigger and better rivalrie

Old
01-19-2007, 12:10 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Here's an interesting article...

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Oi...99870-sun.html

Old
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Oh and also... a big part of it is of course what the Rangers are missing. I look at the fights page right now and heres what we see...:

Witt nails Crosby....Malone and Whitney both come to his defense
Roy nails Kunitz...Thornton comes to his defense
Torres nails Moen....Moen goes after Raffi..Greene comes to his defense (not that Torres needed it)
Parros nails Walker...Walker gets up and they go
Downey follows Burrows around cross checking him...Cowan steps right in
Belak nails Jokinen...Allen steps in
Marleau (the captain of SJ) gets into a scrap with Ballard..and beats him down...after the Yotes had been playing overly physical early on
Phaneuf nails Mclean...Laperierre steps in

Just to name a few. The Rangers don't do this.

Old
01-19-2007, 12:25 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
i always wonder what the deal with refs getting between players is all about when theyre gonna fight...how do you have fighting legal and the refs try and break it up. get outta the way or eliminate fighting (which i dont want to happen)

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
Good. Now lets start by getting rid if the "instigator" rule.
hands down the absolute first move that must be done.

Fotiu22 is offline   Reply With Quote