HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XII

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's silly. These guys are professional athletes. All the best players in the world go. If seven more games (which I think is the most you can play in the tournament) is going to mean you are going to be too tired to play game seven of the Cup Finals, then you shouldn't be in the NHL. And don't give me crap about injuries. They happen all the time for a number of reasons. It would suck to see G or anyone get hurt seriously in the Olympics, but that's not a reason to not compete.

Again, if you are worried that seven extra games is going to derail a season for Giroux or anyone else, maybe you should be worried about their physical conditioning instead. No reason for you to be concerned with the best athletes in the sport because they are playing in the Olympics. People say the same crap about the All-Star game.

Yeah, seems weird.
There's a clear advantage to having time to recuperate over having to travel halfway across the world to take 7 more games of wear and tear. They're pro athletes, sure...they're also human beings, subject to human shortcomings. The season is a grind as it is.

01-02-2014, 04:35 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
That's silly. These guys are professional athletes. All the best players in the world go. If seven more games (which I think is the most you can play in the tournament) is going to mean you are going to be too tired to play game seven of the Cup Finals, then you shouldn't be in the NHL. And don't give me crap about injuries. They happen all the time for a number of reasons. It would suck to see G or anyone get hurt seriously in the Olympics, but that's not a reason to not compete.

Again, if you are worried that seven extra games is going to derail a season for Giroux or anyone else, maybe you should be worried about their physical conditioning instead. No reason for you to be concerned with the best athletes in the sport because they are playing in the Olympics. People say the same crap about the All-Star game.
It can make a difference having guys go to the Olympics, especially when the tournament is so far away.

Extra games make a difference the deeper a team goes in the playoffs. You've seen what a grind the playoffs are and what it takes out of the players. Adding an extra seven games could mean the difference between those players helping a team get through a game seven or having those players just not have enough to help their team win a game seven.

On the flip side, 2010 was the Toews break out show; he rode the confidence of his performance in the Olympics to help Chicago to the Cup (not to forget Keith, Seabrook and Kane who all played in the gold medal game).

I think it will be a detriment to the Flyers to have Timonen play for Finland and Streit for Switzerland. I'm not too worried about the younger guys (Giroux, Voracek).

01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
FLYguy3911

Don't forget Raffl and Meszaros.

Old
01-02-2014, 05:05 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
I have a feeling Giroux won't make Team Canada.

G no showing the Canada orientation, his horrendous 15 game start, and now seeing Ryan, Yandle, Johnson & Johnson get jobbed out for Team USA... I am very insecure about his spot on Team Canada.
If the Canada execs leave Giroux off the team because he didn't show for the orientation camp, they should all resign. Should he have gone? Probably. Regardless, Hockey Canada needs to leave their egos out of it.

And not to knock Ryan, Pominville, Yandle, etc, but there is one minor difference between them and Giroux - they all couldn't dream of being as elite/dominant/whatever adjective you want as Giroux is.

100% he is on the team. Not a doubt in my mind.

I can already hear Stevie Y now. From Hearst, Ontario, Claude Giroux

Old
01-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Jray42

When is Canada supposed to reveal their roster?

Old
01-02-2014, 05:39 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
When is Canada supposed to reveal their roster?
January 7. So next Tuesday

Old
01-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

As a Swedish Flyer fan, I'm kinda torn on the G on team Canada thing.

Old
01-02-2014, 06:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There's a clear advantage to having time to recuperate over having to travel halfway across the world to take 7 more games of wear and tear. They're pro athletes, sure...they're also human beings, subject to human shortcomings. The season is a grind as it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
It can make a difference having guys go to the Olympics, especially when the tournament is so far away.

Extra games make a difference the deeper a team goes in the playoffs. You've seen what a grind the playoffs are and what it takes out of the players. Adding an extra seven games could mean the difference between those players helping a team get through a game seven or having those players just not have enough to help their team win a game seven.

On the flip side, 2010 was the Toews break out show; he rode the confidence of his performance in the Olympics to help Chicago to the Cup (not to forget Keith, Seabrook and Kane who all played in the gold medal game).

I think it will be a detriment to the Flyers to have Timonen play for Finland and Streit for Switzerland. I'm not too worried about the younger guys (Giroux, Voracek).
Perhaps an example of a player not having enough steam after the Olympics would be appropriate? I can't think of any, can you? You're argument would be a lot better if there examples from prior Olympics where players ran out of steam later in the NHL season. 2010 Blackhawks had a bunch Olympians IIRC. A couple on each of the Conference Finalists that year. Was 2006 any different? Maybe if you could point to something that would support your position besides the fact that is could happen, I'd be more inclined to feel the same way.

Old
01-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Perhaps an example of a player not having enough steam after the Olympics would be appropriate? I can't think of any, can you? You're argument would be a lot better if there examples from prior Olympics where players ran out of steam later in the NHL season. 2010 Blackhawks had a bunch Olympians IIRC. A couple on each of the Conference Finalists that year. Was 2006 any different? Maybe if you could point to something that would support your position besides the fact that is could happen, I'd be more inclined to feel the same way.
Miller. It was widely speculated that he was gassed, either mentally or physically, after the Olympics and into the playoffs.

There's also the trend of teams with long playoff runs often struggling to go anywhere in the playoffs in the following year. That's directly attributed by every media expert (usually former players, yes?) to having those extra games the year before.

If a shortened offseason/extra games before a 3 month break has such a long term effect, surely the travel and extra play of the Olympics would also impact players within the same season.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-02-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old
01-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Garbage Goal

I really don't care about the Olympics results and I kind of don't like what it takes out of the NHL season either. So I really wouldn't mind no Flyers making any Olympic teams to be honest. Would give our team a nice rest while the rest of the league is off playing in an international tournament.

Old
01-02-2014, 07:43 PM
El Emperor

Well, with this lineup, there will at least be almost zero chance we see Crosby score the winning goal for gold on us.

Old
01-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Ryker

Quote:

I gotta disagree with you, as well. With Giroux's dainty fingers and this thing around, it might be very ill-advised for him to go anywhere near Sochi.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Miller. It was widely speculated that he was gassed, either mentally or physically, after the Olympics and into the playoffs.
If that is the case then I would be more concerned with Miller's mental fortitude and conditioning than with NHLers playing in Sochi. Miller played in four and a half Olympic games and lost in the first round of the playoffs. If those four and a half games in February hurt him so bad, they weren't making the finals anyway (they would have had to play at least 8 more games just to make the Finals, then at least four more to win.

Quote:
There's also the trend of teams with long playoff runs often struggling to go anywhere in the playoffs in the following year. That's directly attributed by every media expert (usually former players, yes?) to having those extra games the year before.

If a shortened offseason/extra games before a 3 month break has such a long term effect, surely the travel and extra play of the Olympics would also impact players within the same season.
Not sure I've heard this argument before, but even if this is an argument that is actually made, I would say that 5-6 mid season is different than having a shortened off season. That being said, I haven't heard this or noticed it at any point in time. I don't think anyone attributes the Cup run the Devils made to their recent shortcomings. For every team that makes a run then falls short the following year, there's another that has consecutive deep runs.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:34 PM
BernieParent

Islanders win in OT over Chicago (!), and Carolina and Washington on their way to yet another OT each. Hating the plethora of 3-point games.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
If that is the case then I would be more concerned with Miller's mental fortitude and conditioning than with NHLers playing in Sochi. Miller played in four and a half Olympic games and lost in the first round of the playoffs. If those four and a half games in February hurt him so bad, they weren't making the finals anyway (they would have had to play at least 8 more games just to make the Finals, then at least four more to win.

Not sure I've heard this argument before, but even if this is an argument that is actually made, I would say that 5-6 mid season is different than having a shortened off season. That being said, I haven't heard this or noticed it at any point in time. I don't think anyone attributes the Cup run the Devils made to their recent shortcomings. For every team that makes a run then falls short the following year, there's another that has consecutive deep runs.
Then you aren't paying attention. It gets mentioned all the time. Whenever a Finalist struggles the next year as the season goes on, it gets mentioned. Former players in the media get asked about it and they confirm it's a factor. Hell, it was discussed constantly here when the Flyers dropped off a year later; GKJ and Jester posted the stats for Finalist teams following up their performance several times; hell, you probably debated that point with Jester.

Part of the argument presented by the league and GMs for doing away Olympic participation each year is that they not only want to eliminate the risk of non-NHL related injuries, but they don't want star players getting worn down. This isn't a new concept we invented on our own here and now, it's been discussed as a factor for ages.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Then you aren't paying attention. It gets mentioned all the time. Whenever a Finalist struggles the next year as the season goes on, it gets mentioned. Former players in the media get asked about it and they confirm it's a factor. Hell, it was discussed constantly here when the Flyers dropped off a year later; GKJ and Jester posted the stats for Finalist teams following up their performance several times; hell, you probably debated that point with Jester.
I don't think I've ever heard it discussed more than just a passing remark. Moreover, I think the only year since the lockout that the Cup Champions and runners up missed the playoffs the following year was 2007 when the Canes and Oilers missed the playoffs. Aside from that, I think every year the Champs and runners up made the playoffs and most won at least one series (including one year when it was the same final). Maybe I am wrong on this, but I never heard any players ever say that the reason their team came up short was because they made it to the finals the year before. Again, I could be wrong. If that is the case then ok, you can't argue with what the players themselves are saying, but I haven't heard that before.

And as I stated earlier, playing 5-6 games midseason is different than playing an extra 10 games at the end of a season and having a shorter offseason.

Quote:
Part of the argument presented by the league and GMs for doing away Olympic participation each year is that they not only want to eliminate the risk of non-NHL related injuries, but they don't want star players getting worn down. This isn't a new concept we invented on our own here and now, it's been discussed as a factor for ages.
And that's fine. I understand the theoretical argument behind not wanting NHL players in the Olympics (More games = more tired players). If they did away with it completely I wouldn't be heartbroken, I just don't think it is something that we need to be concerned about. Now, if Claude Giroux, Kimmo Timonen, or any other player was hurt and decided to play in the Olympics while injured, that is something I would not want to see. But assuming they are healthy, I'll take my chances on them getting "burned out" come May or June.

Old
01-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 175
OEL got hit from behind and was out of the game he might not play vs Flyers

Old
01-02-2014, 11:47 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Hate to see all these injuries start piling up right before the Olympics. Hopefully guys like Raffl, OEL, Steen, and others can get healthy in time...and Gaborik's injury is ashame. I like seeing countries with their best players, especially countries that aren't supposed to contend.

Old
01-03-2014, 12:24 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Wow! LA have now lost 5 in a row.

Old
01-03-2014, 01:11 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Wow! LA have now lost 5 in a row.
Not shedding any tears over here. Although I still like Carter and Richards.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:52 AM
BernieParent

The other matches gave no help to the Flyers last night, particularly the 3-point game between Carolina and Washington. Hopefully, Chicago can knock off NJ in regulation and (urp! hnghh! BLARGHHH!!) Pittsburgh beats the Rangers. An added bonus would be for Edmonton to get thoroughly thrashed by Anaheim, leading to MacTavish making a bold overpayment to bring in Scott Hartnell.

Old
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The other matches gave no help to the Flyers last night, particularly the 3-point game between Carolina and Washington. Hopefully, Chicago can knock off NJ in regulation and (urp! hnghh! BLARGHHH!!) Pittsburgh beats the Rangers. An added bonus would be for Edmonton to get thoroughly thrashed by Anaheim, leading to MacTavish making a bold overpayment to bring in Scott Hartnell.
The Flyers are not going to trade Hartnell.

Old
01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Hush, you!

I like Hartnell, I really do. The logically ideal scenario, however, would be to turn him (and his contract) into valuable assets in more needed areas.

Old
01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I gotta disagree with you, as well. With Giroux's dainty fingers and this thing around, it might be very ill-advised for him to go anywhere near Sochi.
Oh no you didn't

Old
01-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
We have to have something to hope for.....

Closed Thread