Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

No bang for the buck

Old
01-18-2007, 10:54 AM
The Big E

vCash: 500
No bang for the buck

I've been thinking about what the Wild lack.

First of all, it's not goaltending. Manny is the man despite a bad spell when the rest of the team sucked in December. He's kept us in games we didn't deserve to be in and stolen a few, especially shoot-outs. Backstrom has been good.

Secondly, it's not scoring. We've got plenty of offensively dynamic players. Rolston, Bouchard, White and Parrish have provided what we've expected. Gaborik (via long injury lay-off) and Demitra haven't pulled their weight. Despite this, they're bone fida stars and should get us in the playoffs. Koivu has been a pleasant surprise.

On paper, our defensive corps is the best we've ever had. While our d-crew hasn't been that great, I don't see how we could improve it. Mainly, we don't have the salary cap room to bring in a proven D-man to solidify things. The guys we could afford wouldn't be better than somebody we could promote from Houston. Mainly, getting everyone healthy would be a great start.

So ... what's left?

Bangers-n-Crashers
We haven't got any ... that play regularly. Walz and Vielleux aren't, but they're our defensive shutdown guys. Boogaard will do his seek and destroy routine, but Lemaire rarely let's him do it. Dupuis will hit, but he's not big enough to have any effect. Wyatt Smith works hard and seems defensively responsible, but doesn't hit much. Radivojevic was supposed to be a tough banger, but he doesn't hit much, either and I haven't seen him do anything that would lead me to believe he's tough.

So that leaves Dupuis, Radio and Smith. DuPoop is in the sales window at deep discount. We can't get rid of Radio because we recently signed him. If someone were to want to make a deal for him, I'm sure that Risebrough would go for it. Smith has been decent, so why not play him on the defensive line with Walz and Vielleux? So it looks like if we can get rid of DuPoop, we could bring in one banger like Ward. With all the injuries, maybe we should give Irmen a shot?

Who in Houston has been doing a good job of playing physical, annoying, in-their-face type hockey? Ward? Irmen? Foy?

What are the chances of a Smith-Boogaard-Ward line or a Smith-Irmen-Ward line for the Wild? Any other options?

We desperately need a bang-n-crash line.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I'll never figure out why the Wild rid themselves of Jason Wiemer.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 04:17 PM
nspeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
i liked wiemer a lot

i also havnt seen dupuis hit anyone besides a stick check but i only get to catch a few games here and there

nspeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 04:34 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
When we first acquired Wiemer I was excited, but in the end I'll say he didn't do much for us. Judging on how many clubs that he's been with, he hasn't made an impact anywhere.

I do agree we need some muscle up front. I admire the likes of Anahiem and San Jose who have several big young and skilled players who can play the grind game and are hard to knock off the puck.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:57 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeen View Post
i also havnt seen dupuis hit anyone besides a stick check but i only get to catch a few games here and there
DuPoop actually hits quite a lot. But when a guy is 5'10" and 170 lbs. (the Wild list him as 6' & 195 lbs. ... but listed Cliff "the Spliff" Ronning as 5'8" 180 yet I saw a picture of PMB towering over him ...) it's not like him checking anybody is going to do much of anything.

On the other hand, we have Danny Irmen who is 6' and 200 lbs. (6'4", 225 lbs by the Wild's measurement standards) who would hit anything that moved if given the chance, is reasonably fast and brings some pretty good trash-talking. Joel Ward hit pretty well, but isn't all that fast.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote