HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton named Team Canada captain for WJHC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2013, 11:42 AM
  #101
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,038
vCash: 500
I could see a third line with Leier-Laughton in the future.

2nd PK unit too?

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:39 PM
  #102
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,688
vCash: 500
I'd be happy with a Canada win just because of Laughton being the captain. I like it when the Flyers have prospects playing important parts in the WJC. I pull for Flyers over the US - is that a lack of patriotism?

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:41 PM
  #103
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 17,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I'd be happy with a Canada win just because of Laughton being the captain. I like it when the Flyers have prospects playing important parts in the WJC. I pull for Flyers over the US - is that a lack of patriotism?
nonot at all. Even during the olympics i was confused because the us team had players i hated like kane and kesler, but canada had richards pronger and iginla who i like.

But really the worst ending was crosby game winning ot goal, shortly followed by a kane ot goal. F me.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:55 PM
  #104
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,966
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I'd be happy with a Canada win just because of Laughton being the captain. I like it when the Flyers have prospects playing important parts in the WJC. I pull for Flyers over the US - is that a lack of patriotism?
Absolutely. You should be deported! In all seriousness though, I root for USA against anyone. If Canada wins, I won't be mad because of the Flyer factor, but I'd still rather see our boys win Gold. Root for the players all day and all night, root for them to win over other teams, but when they play the US, you gotta root for the US. I mean, if your favorite Flyer got traded would you root for him to win against the Flyers? I know I wouldn't!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:01 PM
  #105
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I could see a third line with Leier-Laughton in the future.

2nd PK unit too?
Through Cousins on the other wing and you got good defense (Laugton and Leier) and offense (Cousins and Laughton, Leier is no scrub in this regard either but is more questionable). That would be a hard working line that would piss people off. Simmer would also fit in at one of the wings IMO.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:30 PM
  #106
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Through Cousins on the other wing and you got good defense (Laugton and Leier) and offense (Cousins and Laughton, Leier is no scrub in this regard either but is more questionable). That would be a hard working line that would piss people off. Simmer would also fit in at one of the wings IMO.
Don't underestimate Leier's offensive ability. He's a very smart player with a nose for the net and great hands to go with his speed. All three are good prospects, but smallish.

With the current prospect pool looking good for grit/leadership, we need some big wingers and skilled playmakers at F.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:09 PM
  #107
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Through Cousins on the other wing and you got good defense (Laugton and Leier) and offense (Cousins and Laughton, Leier is no scrub in this regard either but is more questionable). That would be a hard working line that would piss people off. Simmer would also fit in at one of the wings IMO.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Lecavelier
Leier-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo

next year

Trade Hartnell + a 6th to any team for a 7th

Let Downie go, even though I like him and he's been good but he doesn't fit in my scenario.

Boom, Stanley Cup.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:15 PM
  #108
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Lecavelier
Leier-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo

next year

Trade Hartnell + a 6th to any team for a 7th

Let Downie go, even though I like him and he's been good but he doesn't fit in my scenario.

Boom, Stanley Cup.
Cap space goin to defense?

Who?

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:17 PM
  #109
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Cap space goin to defense?

Who?
Pffft who cares about defense?

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:55 PM
  #110
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Pffft who cares about defense?
Oh yeah...

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:51 PM
  #111
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Don't underestimate Leier's offensive ability. He's a very smart player with a nose for the net and great hands to go with his speed. All three are good prospects, but smallish.

With the current prospect pool looking good for grit/leadership, we need some big wingers and skilled playmakers at F.
I'm trying not to but he plays in Portland with some of the best offensive players in the WHL, including the 2nd and 4th leading scorers in the league. His numbers went up pretty drastically from two years ago (from ~.5 ppg to ~1.3ppg this year) as well. And lets not forget Talbot put up some great numbers in juniors. I just think the other two are safer bets offensively cause they were the main cogs on their respective teams.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:10 PM
  #112
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I'm trying not to but he plays in Portland with some of the best offensive players in the WHL, including the 2nd and 4th leading scorers in the league. His numbers went up pretty drastically from two years ago (from ~.5 ppg to ~1.3ppg this year) as well. And lets not forget Talbot put up some great numbers in juniors. I just think the other two are safer bets offensively cause they were the main cogs on their respective teams.
I understand and agree, but in Leier's defense, he had to wait for a chance for more O time on such a deep team or his stats might already be higher.

Leier is a smart player, he might actually play BETTER in the NHL with better players because he knows where to be, can get there and finish when he does.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 02:32 AM
  #113
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I'm trying not to but he plays in Portland with some of the best offensive players in the WHL, including the 2nd and 4th leading scorers in the league. His numbers went up pretty drastically from two years ago (from ~.5 ppg to ~1.3ppg this year) as well. And lets not forget Talbot put up some great numbers in juniors. I just think the other two are safer bets offensively cause they were the main cogs on their respective teams.
Not to nitpick, but this is the best offensive talent on the Generals:



Last year Laughton also carried the load along with Boone Jenner. But yes, he is different from Leier in that he is the best overall player on his team and not a 3rd wheel on a dominant line.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:49 AM
  #114
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Not to nitpick, but this is the best offensive talent on the Generals:

Last year Laughton also carried the load along with Boone Jenner. But yes, he is different from Leier in that he is the best overall player on his team and not a 3rd wheel on a dominant line.
Sorry if it wasn't clear but by me saying main cog I didn't mean best offensive player. Just that without them (Cousins and Laughton) the team falls apart, not just because of the offense but leadership and everything in general. I know Jenner was great for the General's last year but after going back to juniors (after his 5 NHL games) Laughton was often times the best player on the team. Again not necessarily offensively but just in general. That can't be said about Leier even this season. Again, this isn't a knock on Leier. I really like this kid and think he's got a definite future at the NHL level in some capacity I'm just not too sure his offensive game will be as good as the other two mentioned. Though if Cousins doesn't make it to the NHL because of holes in his game in other areas this is kinda a moot point anyway.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
  #115
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 6,383
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Not to nitpick, but this is the best offensive talent on the Generals:



Last year Laughton also carried the load along with Boone Jenner. But yes, he is different from Leier in that he is the best overall player on his team and not a 3rd wheel on a dominant line.
Wow, that Dal Colle kid attacks the net with and without the puck. Can make a nice pass too. Where's he projected to go in the draft?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:56 AM
  #116
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Wow, that Dal Colle kid attacks the net with and without the puck. Can make a nice pass too. Where's he projected to go in the draft?
High.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:31 PM
  #117
BackWithaVengeance
Registered User
 
BackWithaVengeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Wow, that Dal Colle kid attacks the net with and without the puck. Can make a nice pass too. Where's he projected to go in the draft?
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Craig's list from December 9.

He's 4th on that list.

Btw, K. Kapanen 14th.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 03:23 PM
  #118
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,958
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I can't wait to see him up on this team. Giroux/Cooter/Laughton is a solid one two three punch with a lot of years left in the nhl. You could even start Laughton out at wing for when Vinny is healthy. The Flyers have a great future whether some people believe it or not.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:23 PM
  #119
ILoveStephanieBrown
Registered User
 
ILoveStephanieBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Man, he's getting **** on by a lot of the fans in the GDT. People saying he hasn't finished his checks, that he's heartless, shouldn't be captain, blah blah blah. Then again, pretty much every player on that team is getting criticized. Haven't seen any of the games for myself so I don't know if that is all overreaction or not. I know one thing, way too many fans base a prospect's future off of this tournament. It's ridiculous.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  #120
Coffe
Registered User
 
Coffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Man, he's getting **** on by a lot of the fans in the GDT. People saying he hasn't finished his checks, that he's heartless, shouldn't be captain, blah blah blah. Then again, pretty much every player on that team is getting criticized. Haven't seen any of the games for myself so I don't know if that is all overreaction or not. I know one thing, way too many fans base a prospect's future off of this tournament. It's ridiculous.

Well, Canada was outplayed by Sweden in pretty much every aspect of the game, the whole canadian team looked disinterested and slow. Whether it's lack of effort or just an acclimating process to the larger ice surface I don't know. Singling Laughton out because he's the captain and you want him to be a leader out there is understandable - but he was far from the only one who had a bad game.

Coffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:57 PM
  #121
Danko
...the way she goes
 
Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
That's because people never saw him play and just looked at his stats and labeled him with the "goon" tag. The guy had great size and soft hands. He wasn't at the top of my list but he got too much unwarranted hate around these parts. The good thing about guys like Wilson are even if they never reach their full potential on the offensive side, they add value in other parts of the game.
OT but i really like Wilson

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 01:47 PM
  #122
CanuckistanFlyerfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Man, he's getting **** on by a lot of the fans in the GDT. People saying he hasn't finished his checks, that he's heartless, shouldn't be captain, blah blah blah. Then again, pretty much every player on that team is getting criticized. Haven't seen any of the games for myself so I don't know if that is all overreaction or not. I know one thing, way too many fans base a prospect's future off of this tournament. It's ridiculous.
I haven't been impressed with Laughton in the 3 exhibition games. I'm used to seeing him be The Man for Oshawa and wasn't surprised one bit when he was named captain. That said I haven't been impressed by Team Canada so far other than Drouin, McDavid and Ekblad. Hopefully they get it going now that the games count...wouldn't be the first time.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 04:47 PM
  #123
kelmitchell
Registered User
 
kelmitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: sns' mothers house
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=CS;76448193]Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Downie - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Raffl

or you could send rinaldo down bring up cousins or akensson (probably mispelled) have 4 really solid lines that can score and defend .... but switch hartnell and raffl hartsy plays like a 4th liner anyways mine as well put him there

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:13 PM
  #124
CNote
Get 'er done
 
CNote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,656
vCash: 500
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/03...worthy-captain

Canada's Scott Laughton proving he's a worthy captain
By Terry Koshan, Toronto Sun
January 03, 2014 03:17 PM EST

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:48 PM
  #125
Harold Bingo
what
 
Harold Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/03...worthy-captain

Canada's Scott Laughton proving he's a worthy captain
By Terry Koshan, Toronto Sun
January 03, 2014 03:17 PM EST
Pretty cool. Now if the Flyers could only find a way to draft McDavid.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.