HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto’s reps want meeting with Rangers GM to talk trade

View Poll Results: Trade Del Zotto?
Yes 130 76.47%
No 40 23.53%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2014, 05:18 PM
  #26
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Terrible asset management. Play him, hope he regains form and then deal at deadline if needed. Justin Falk should never play over a healthy Michael Del Zotto. John Moore is not a bad player; he makes mistakes but he too needs to play to improve. They should both be in the lineup with Allen going back to HFD.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
  #27
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Terrible asset management. Play him, hope he regains form and then deal at deadline if needed. Justin Falk should never play over a healthy Michael Del Zotto. John Moore is not a bad player; he makes mistakes but he too needs to play to improve. They should both be in the lineup with Allen going back to HFD.
I dont think AV particularly likes Del Zotto, and it sure doesnt seem like Sather is in a hurry to trade him.

Whatever, Im used to this organization being on different pages.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
  #28
Thirty One
k.
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Terrible asset management. Play him, hope he regains form and then deal at deadline if needed. Justin Falk should never play over a healthy Michael Del Zotto. John Moore is not a bad player; he makes mistakes but he too needs to play to improve. They should both be in the lineup with Allen going back to HFD.
Just how long are they expected to keep playing him hoping that he'll regain form? He's been at this reduced form for 80 games now.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:23 PM
  #29
NewLife
what if doobie?
 
NewLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: the alps
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,540
vCash: 50
Yes trade him, he's ****ed in NY and within the Rangers even though he can be a good player his confidence must be absolutely ruined at this point. He need a change of scenery more than anyone.

NewLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
  #30
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,125
vCash: 500
I've said it before. I think he's plateaued. A change of scenery is about the only thing that might push him to become a better player than he is right now. He was a very promising rookie but he's never become the pwp qb d-man capable of taking charge of the offense. He should be a legit 1st pairing d-man--a leader on this team by now not a follower. He still has confidence issues. That is part of the problem.

To qualify him this summer the Rangers lowball offer would be $2.9 mil per. That is way too much $ for a player the coaching staff have shown so little confidence in that they continually scratch him at least when everyone is healthy. I don't know what we're going to get for him but the $ he's making now and the $ he's automatically going to get this summer help lower his value as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:25 PM
  #31
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Machinehead;77258271]Instead of trading him when he was highly regarded, let's make sure we absolutely destroy his value and force him to demand a trade, and then trade him.

[/QUOTE


Cant say ur wrong on this one. our mgnt really sux!

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
  #32
SA16
Sixstring
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers Fail View Post
**** this management. Seriously. Coming into the season, DZ had enough value to bring back a young forward with some top 6 upside. Not anything crazy, but what we were looking for.

So what does this POS management do? Scratch him in favor if crappy John Moore because Moore can SKATE!!! Even though he sucks at everything else related to hockey. Even when Del Zotto has a good game, he sits in the press box the next game. They have effectively drove any value he had straight into the toilet and flushed it down the drain. How are scouts supposed to watch him play if he's constantly scratched in favor of pylons like John Moore or Justin Falk?

They have ruined his confidence, alienated him, and wiped away any trade value he may have had while sitting on their hands. It's January. He's been hearing rumors swirling around him for like, 2 years already. What do you think that does to someone's confidence?

I've been a Del Zotto basher before. But this is no way to treat someone who has grown up in the organization. He does not deserve this. Either play him or trade him. Enough is enough.
1. Which top 6 forward could he have brought back and according to who?

2. Management doesn't scratch him...the coach scratches him because he hasn't played well.

3. He's been scratched in favor of Falk/Allen. Not Moore.

4. He has driven down his value not the team. If he played well then he wouldn't be putting himself in the situation where he is vulnerable to being scratched. He's played poorly despite it being his fifth year in the league and is suffering the consequences.

5. Why do scouts need to watch him play? He's played 282 games in his career including like 75 in the past 12 months. If they want to watch him they can just watch the games he's played. Their opinion won't change based on one game they see him play now.

6. They have ruined his confidence by scratching him because he has played poorly? The same way they ruined Kreiders confidence by sending him back and forth to the minors last year because Torts didn't think he was ready and capable defensively?

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
  #33
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..
 
Nothing As It Seems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 11,633
vCash: 500
Del Zotto as he's been playing is better than Falk and Moore. The jury is out on how Allen will look over 5+ games. We don't have better options and in trying to prove a point or wake him up, or whatever it is we thought we were doing, we killed his confidence and his value. I don't think he'll ever play up to his potential here no matter how much ice time he's given and I don't think we're going to receive any really enticing offers for him based on how sparingly we've played him and how that reflects on his value. We've dug ourselves a hole where we're going to end up selling extremely low on a decent, young #4 because of poor asset management.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
  #34
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,568
vCash: 500
All of the people saying that we should play him understand that this is a double edged sword right? AV played him after scratching him and IMO hurt his value more. If I'm a team I'd rather get more a mystery than someone that just sucks.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
  #35
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations
 
DoTheBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 7,191
vCash: 500
If they are not going to play him I don't see the point of the poll because there really is only one answer.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
  #36
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
All of the people saying that we should play him understand that this is a double edged sword right? AV played him after scratching him and IMO hurt his value more. If I'm a team I'd rather get more a mystery than someone that just sucks.
I still think hes the 5th best defenseman on this roster.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:38 PM
  #37
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
1. Which top 6 forward could he have brought back and according to who?

2. Management doesn't scratch him...the coach scratches him because he hasn't played well.

3. He's been scratched in favor of Falk/Allen. Not Moore.

4. He has driven down his value not the team. If he played well then he wouldn't be putting himself in the situation where he is vulnerable to being scratched. He's played poorly despite it being his fifth year in the league and is suffering the consequences.

5. Why do scouts need to watch him play? He's played 282 games in his career including like 75 in the past 12 months. If they want to watch him they can just watch the games he's played. Their opinion won't change based on one game they see him play now.

6. They have ruined his confidence by scratching him because he has played poorly? The same way they ruined Kreiders confidence by sending him back and forth to the minors last year because Torts didn't think he was ready and capable defensively?
1. Read more carefully. I didn't say a bonafide top 6 forward RIGHT now. I said someone young who can turn into one. Obviously were weren't getting Matt Duchene.

2. Yeah, coaches scratch him. But if management is trying to actively trade him, they can step in and say, "Hey, AV. I know DZ hasn't been playing his best, but maybe you can put him into tomorrow's game? Maybe put him in some offensive zone situations? And don't talk to the media about him."

In the end, they have the final word. But obviously they're not on the same page. Big surprise there!

3. He's been scratched in favor of everyone.

4. I'll be the first to admit he hasn't been good. But guess what. Neither has John Moore. In fact, Moore has been worse. And don't give me the ******** of "he's young and has potential." They're the same age. Moore has, is, and always will be an inferior player. I remember him playing good games and still being scratched the next night.

5. Why do scouts come to any game then? Seems like a waste of money if they've already seen everyone. Obviously other NHL managements seem to think it's pretty important. You can go ask them if you're so interested in why they have pro scouts.

6. They have ruined his confidence by:
a. Not playing him in favor of inferior players. (ie: John "I can only skate" Moore)
b. AV saying things he shouldn't say to the media about how DZ can offer more. Keep it in the locker room.
c. Constantly having him publicly on the trade block. You don't think NHL players keep up with what's being said about them in the media?

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
  #38
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 500
The coaching staff is concerned with winning hockey games. Not showcasing a player in the hopes that it will increase his trade value. We are half way through the season and are a .500 hockey team. Every point is valuable the rest of the way if we are going to make the playoffs.

I am fairly certain the Rangers front office and coaching staff didn't sit in an underground lair plotting how to ruin MDZ as a player and torpedo his value. Del Zotto has no one to blame for his current situation other than himself. He hasn't just been mediocre this year, he has been horrific. Recently he hasn't even been able to accept or distribute a basic pass.


With that said.......
If you want to argue that the Rangers drafted and developed MDZ so they should have seen MDZ as a depreciating asset before the rest of the league realized it and therefore should have traded him while he still had value. That I would agree with.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:40 PM
  #39
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 21,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
MDZ's failings are his and his alone.

MDZ not sticking in the line up can be attributed to one man...MDZ

He's skittish with the puck in his own zone. His positioning is suspect and his decision making is lacking.

What he really needs is an off-season studying AV's more complex system now that he's got a year of it under his belt, he should be better able to grasp it next year.

He can work on his reads and decisions as well as his positioning.

If Grubby and Greening is the return, then this would be a deal best not made.

He's got talent. He will NEVER be a Norris winner, but he can be serviceable point getter while playing competent D.

Unless we are getting a former 1st round draft pick that is also struggling a bit but has potential to be what was projected, then we need to keep this asset.

We are not losing games BECAUSE of MDZ. He's not been part of the solution but he's also not THE problem. He's A problem, but not THE problem.
But Kreider being awful last year is Torts' fault?

Alright.

MDZ had a subpar year last year and that's carried over this year. But he was really good in 11-12 and has not been nearly as bad as the majority of this board tries to say. He's heads and shoulders better than John Moore.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
  #40
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,050
vCash: 500
MDZ has been mishandled very badly this season.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:55 PM
  #41
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
MDZ has been mishandled very badly this season.
Rangers management's handling of Del Zotto = John Moore's handling of the puck.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 06:04 PM
  #42
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But Kreider being awful last year is Torts' fault?

Alright.

MDZ had a subpar year last year and that's carried over this year. But he was really good in 11-12 and has not been nearly as bad as the majority of this board tries to say. He's heads and shoulders better than John Moore.
That's an opinion. I think Moore and DZ are about even.

DZ makes 3 times more $ than Moore. With the larger contract comes larger responsibility. And this summer he gets $2.9 mil per just to qualify.

DZ broke into the NHL because of his offensive creativity. As a rookie he could walk the blueline and was even a threat to score a goal now and again. DZ's 11-12 season was only marginally more productive than his rookie year and since then his numbers have gone downhill. At this point in his career he should be doing for the Rangers at least something similar to what PK Subban does for the Canadiens. If he were capable of doing that I doubt he'd be having problems with AV or his staff. DZ should be heading for 50 point seasons--creating offense should be his trump card over the rest of the Rangers defense corps. It's not happening and very unlikely to ever happen in New York. I can see it happening for McDonagh maybe but not DZ. He's hit the wall here. He's got to go.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 06:16 PM
  #43
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,797
vCash: 500
I am in the boat that he has to be moved. Fans will always argue a towards their perspectives and minimize opposing thoughts to a certain degree.

Going into this season he was a top 4 defenseman. Top 4 defensemen are a commodity in this league, and there are teams in playoff contention that have patch word defense corps that could use, and pay up for a top 4 defender.

DZ isn't a top 4 defender on this team. We get it.

How the Rangers handled this scenario saw to it that the rest of the league got it as well.

A lack of professionalism sums up how this was handled. By all parties. DZ, AV, the Rangers.

Not showing signs of an unified organization at all.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 06:40 PM
  #44
SKjEi o2
Registered User
 
SKjEi o2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: Nepal
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Why does it matter if MDZ's game has plateaued? Even if he never improves anymore, he's still a better option than Falk and Moore. If I were a gambling man I would bet on Del Zotto being a much better defenseman than Moore and Falk at the end of their careers.

Why is it that when Sather shopped Del Zotto, so many teams pounced on the offer? PMD are a rare commodity in the league and necessary for a contender. I would even argue they are the second most important type of player right behind 1Cs. If Del Zotto gets traded it will be a huge mistake. The only way to get a PMD of Del Zotto's calibre is through the draft.

MDZ's game is all about confidence. When he has it he's one of the best Defensemen on the team, when he doesn't he's quite bad. Instead of moving him to the right side for Moore, who is the same age and significantly worse and constantly shopping him around the league, why don't we just play the kid? In my opinion, his game has plateaued because of the mismanagement and constant attacks by the front office and coaching staff.

Although now since Sather ****ed up any value and confidence the kid had, I think NYR has no choice but to trade him.

SKjEi o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:00 PM
  #45
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Instead of trading him when he was highly regarded, let's make sure we absolutely destroy his value and force him to demand a trade, and then trade him.

Do most people really not understand the consequences of trading a young player who's signed for several years when he's playing very well? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team?

If MDZ were playing well, you don't trade him. Period. Some of the armchair GMs here really have no clue...

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:02 PM
  #46
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Do most people really not understand the consequences of trading a young player who's signed for several years when he's playing very well? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team?

If MDZ were playing well, you don't trade him. Period. Some of the armchair GMs here really have no clue...
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. This board epitomizes "hindsight is 20/20". If he's playing well, is young, and cheap why trade him? Easy to say after he has a rough season.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:02 PM
  #47
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Instead of trading him when he was highly regarded, let's make sure we absolutely destroy his value and force him to demand a trade, and then trade him.

This situation has been bungled so badly that someone deserves to lose their job over it. Unfortunately, this is the Rangers.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:07 PM
  #48
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKjEi o2 View Post
Why does it matter if MDZ's game has plateaued? Even if he never improves anymore, he's still a better option than Falk and Moore. If I were a gambling man I would bet on Del Zotto being a much better defenseman than Moore and Falk at the end of their careers.

Why is it that when Sather shopped Del Zotto, so many teams pounced on the offer? PMD are a rare commodity in the league and necessary for a contender. I would even argue they are the second most important type of player right behind 1Cs. If Del Zotto gets traded it will be a huge mistake. The only way to get a PMD of Del Zotto's calibre is through the draft.

MDZ's game is all about confidence. When he has it he's one of the best Defensemen on the team, when he doesn't he's quite bad. Instead of moving him to the right side for Moore, who is the same age and significantly worse and constantly shopping him around the league, why don't we just play the kid? In my opinion, his game has plateaued because of the mismanagement and constant attacks by the front office and coaching staff.

Although now since Sather ****ed up any value and confidence the kid had, I think NYR has no choice but to trade him.
I agree with everything you said, but the other factor to take into account is MDZ's cap hit (also assuming that salary goes up a decent amount with his next contract). Which frankly, is probably the main reason they want to move him instead of doing what you said.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:11 PM
  #50
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,892
vCash: 500
Wait to trade him while his value is at an all time low.

Just another day in Rangers town.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.