HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Collecting Hockey cards

Old
01-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Schwarzenegger
CEO Hockeys Greatest

vCash: 500
Where are the best places to buy cards online for Canadians

aka online shops in canada or north american shops with good shipping prices?

Schwarzenegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
Where are the best places to buy cards online for Canadians

aka online shops in canada or north american shops with good shipping prices?
Dave & Adams Card World is in Buffalo, but they're always a great source.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 01-03-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:18 PM
MilanKraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
I long for the days when you could buy a pack of hockey cards for a nickel and with a few trades have the whole set for about a couple of bucks or so. Well except for that one elusive player who no one ever seemed to get. I remember having to trade about ten cards to get a Ron Ellis card to complete my set one year. I also remember usually ending up with someone like Bill Orban in what seemed like every second pack. It always worked that way with baseball cards as well.

As I grew older I sometimes wondered if the card companies did this intentionally to keep the kids chasing that last man and buying their cards. Did they distribute a short supply of certain players to different parts of the country or was there a place in Canada where everyone had dozens of Ron Ellis cards and no one could find a Bill Orban to finish their set?

Anyone else from back in those days who had that one guy they couldn't get?
Yeah, maybe we can go back to 50k houses in Toronto and 25 cent gasoline....
Good Luck with that.

You can still buy crap cards for $1 a pack or less if you want. Score, OPC, etc.
Whole box will only cost you like $20.

Leave the real cards to the big boys

MilanKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Billwinkle

I am also a true collector. I am not concerned with value just do I need it or not. that doesn't mean I would trade my 54 topps Sawchuk for Rocky Saginuk from the early 80's I trade value for value. I am also finding it hard to trade for items I don't have even though I have hundreds of pre 60's cards. Always looking to complete my sets (raw cards only) Let me know what you have and what you need maybe we can work out a deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 sawchuk.jpg‎ (212.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 65 JOHNNY BOWER.jpg‎ (249.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sig 2.jpg‎ (282.0 KB, 6 views)

Billwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2014, 11:19 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

sold alot of cards after getting some great finds at auctions.i needed the money so i used Ebay to buy & sell.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2014, 03:35 AM
tjcurrie

My brother and I started collecting when we were real young. Say about 5 or 6 (early-mid 1980s). Along with the O-Pee-Chee sticker books.

We were given a garbage bag full of cards (79-80/81-82) by our neighbor who was a few years older. We had a tornado summer of '87 while away on holidays. Boxes of cards below the basement window. Many were lost, salvaged a good number though. Among them a couple Mark Messier RCs, x2 Ray Bourque RCs, Gretzky 2nd/3rd/4th year cards, and a bunch of others from those years.

We collected somewhat throughout the rest of the decade, but like most really went hard at it in the early 1990s with Upper Deck, Pro-Set, Score, etc etc.

My brother stopped collecting right after that, I stopped maybe about 1994 or '95.

I went a good 15 years without buying a thing, other than adding to my Mike Modano collection (mostly early to mid 90s).

Recently I began buying older rookies I need (Butch Goring my latest), older North Stars rookies (Steve Payne, Craig Hartsburg, Curt Giles, Jon Casey, etc), even older player cards (Bill Goldsworthy, Danny Grant, etc) and newer UD Young Guns RCs (especially Stars).

I'll add to my Modano collection any time I can. Mostly prefer the early-mid 90s stuff even though I have a ton. Hoarding I suppose it's called. I'll add to my Peter Stastny collection, North Stars rookies, and older RCs I need.

The last couple years I purchased a few boxes of 1st year UD. I know they're not worth as much as they really should have been considering the great rookies available, but nostalgic to open them up and put the good ones in binders or hard cases. Affordable too.

I too long for the days where collecting was a little more simple. Just buy packs looking for certain players, trade with buddies, look for that good rookie card, etc. Now it's too much, and too pricey. Apparently a Sidney Crosby RC is worth as much as or more than say a Guy Lafleur RC. Ridiculous. I also can't stand the jersey/stick cards. Cutting up old hockey memorabilia to sell cards.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 10-05-2014 at 03:51 AM.
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2014, 05:55 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
^maybe go get them and get them apparaised to see if you have anything of value.
There is absolutely nothing of value in early 90's hockey cards... Sure a few are 5 bucks (if that) ungraded...

I suppose if you have gem-mint 10 rookies graded by BGS you could get up to 100 or 200 bucks for rookies from the correct sets such as o-pee-chee premier rookies of Jagr and Roenick or Parkhurst series 2 from 1991-92.....

The sad part about some of these early 90's sets is that they are loaded with stars and rookie hall of famers but they're worth pretty much nothing, maybe a buck or two on ebay...

Hell, right now you can get unopened cases (20 boxes) of pro set and topps/opc for 100 bucks shipped.... That's the stuff we used to refer to in the hobby 20 years ago as "junk wax."

The funny part about that "junk wax" is the fact that the only card out of all of that stuff that holds any real value today is the 1990 pro set Brett Hull #1 promo card, which is worth just as much as the score Canadian Lindros rookie.

Besides, when I was a kid I collected that early 90's stuff but I spent more money collecting vintage cards from any area pre-88 maybe, but my main focus was on stuff from the 70's, 60's and 50's and believe me those cards were difficult to get because there was no internet when I was collecting back then and I lived in Chicago where obviously baseball, football and basketball were way more popular than vintage hockey cards, however I still managed to put together quite a vintage collection together through trades and going to card shows, and thank God my local card shop had plenty of old hockey cards which really helped my collection...

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
My brother and I started collecting when we were real young. Say about 5 or 6 (early-mid 1980s). Along with the O-Pee-Chee sticker books.

We were given a garbage bag full of cards (79-80/81-82) by our neighbor who was a few years older. We had a tornado summer of '87 while away on holidays. Boxes of cards below the basement window. Many were lost, salvaged a good number though. Among them a couple Mark Messier RCs, x2 Ray Bourque RCs, Gretzky 2nd/3rd/4th year cards, and a bunch of others from those years.

We collected somewhat throughout the rest of the decade, but like most really went hard at it in the early 1990s with Upper Deck, Pro-Set, Score, etc etc.

My brother stopped collecting right after that, I stopped maybe about 1994 or '95.

I went a good 15 years without buying a thing, other than adding to my Mike Modano collection (mostly early to mid 90s).

Recently I began buying older rookies I need (Butch Goring my latest), older North Stars rookies (Steve Payne, Craig Hartsburg, Curt Giles, Jon Casey, etc), even older player cards (Bill Goldsworthy, Danny Grant, etc) and newer UD Young Guns RCs (especially Stars).

I'll add to my Modano collection any time I can. Mostly prefer the early-mid 90s stuff even though I have a ton. Hoarding I suppose it's called. I'll add to my Peter Stastny collection, North Stars rookies, and older RCs I need.

The last couple years I purchased a few boxes of 1st year UD. I know they're not worth as much as they really should have been considering the great rookies available, but nostalgic to open them up and put the good ones in binders or hard cases. Affordable too.

I too long for the days where collecting was a little more simple. Just buy packs looking for certain players, trade with buddies, look for that good rookie card, etc. Now it's too much, and too pricey. Apparently a Sidney Crosby RC is worth as much as or more than say a Guy Lafleur RC. Ridiculous. I also can't stand the jersey/stick cards. Cutting up old hockey memorabilia to sell cards.
That's why a lot of these vintage cards are worth so much these days - people just threw them out, beat the hell out of them by putting them in their bike tires or glued them to their walls and whatnot.....

I have no problem with beaten up old cards (as a matter of fact I love them) but I also go out of my way to buy commons in good condition (especially from certain sets) because mint cards are highly sought after these days by collectors - which is something I really don't understand in the first place given the fact I would tend to believe that a beat up old card would be more nostalgic than a gem mint 10 card pulled out of a 300 dollar pack that is almost 40 years old....

Old
10-05-2014, 06:08 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanKraft View Post
Yeah, maybe we can go back to 50k houses in Toronto and 25 cent gasoline....
Good Luck with that.

You can still buy crap cards for $1 a pack or less if you want. Score, OPC, etc.
Whole box will only cost you like $20.

Leave the real cards to the big boys
You can get boxes all day for 5 bucks of pro set, topps and score from the early 90's on ebay. Of course the cards themselves are worth absolutely noting but it certainly is fun opening a few boxes just for fun and pulling hall of fame rookies and the superstars of that era such as Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Roy etc...

Old
10-05-2014, 09:44 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
There is absolutely nothing of value in early 90's hockey cards... Sure a few are 5 bucks (if that) ungraded...

The sad part about some of these early 90's sets is that they are loaded with stars and rookie hall of famers but they're worth pretty much nothing, maybe a buck or two on ebay...
Exactly. I made a thread on here months ago asking about early 90s cards. "What SHOULD they be worth?" Basically wanting to discuss all the RCs that were in the sets from 1990-92 (e.i. Modano, Bure, Fedorov, Sundin, Jagr, Belfour, Recchi, Brodeur, Lindros, Mogilny, Lidstrom, Selanne, Hasek).

Had the market not been so flooded and the hobby just remained with the status quo, maybe a Mike Modano RC would be worth $40-$50 today rather than the $2-$5 or so. It's a shame.

Quote:
That's why a lot of these vintage cards are worth so much these days - people just threw them out, beat the hell out of them by putting them in their bike tires or glued them to their walls and whatnot.....

I have no problem with beaten up old cards (as a matter of fact I love them) but I also go out of my way to buy commons in good condition (especially from certain sets) because mint cards are highly sought after these days by collectors - which is something I really don't understand in the first place given the fact I would tend to believe that a beat up old card would be more nostalgic than a gem mint 10 card pulled out of a 300 dollar pack that is almost 40 years old....
My late grandfather collected a bit in the early 1950s in Montreal. Had himself nearly the entire set of 1951-52 Parkhurst in a binder. All the cards in excellent shape.

He brought them out in about 1990 or 1991 when us kids got real heavy in to the hobby. Caused a bit of an issue when he then gave them all to my uncle and none to my dad, even though my dad was/is the Gordie Howe/Red Wings fan (yes, he had the Howe RC).

My uncle still has them, but has had a couple dealers over to get estimates (better not be selling them! )

Some of my favorite cards in mine and my bro's collection (not even sure where we got them) are 2nd year Lafleur and Dionne cards. I also have a 1958 Terry Sawchuk Parkhurst I obtained in a trade in 1991 (no clue how the kid had it in the first place but I wasn't asking questions). The cards aren't mint at all, with rounded corners and maybe a bit more minor wear, but they're amazing to have.

Old
10-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Sheng Peng
HFB Partner

My thing is Kings' history, a museum of franchise's highlights and lowlights. Consequently, finding the only certified Anson Carter Kings' autograph (only 5 out there!) is a true thrill haha. I'm also trying to complete my Adam Deadmarsh collection, so if you have any rare Kings/Avs pieces, let me know!

Last edited by Sheng Peng: 10-05-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Sheng Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 04:53 PM
greyraven8

Did collect hockey cards back in the mid to late 70s (don't have any of those) and briefly in the 90s when a friend was doing it OPC - NHL 75th anniversary and some Parkhurst around that time.

Only cards I got in a long time were some Upper Deck Masterpieces ones off Ebay this year. Started off as a local pawn shop was trying to get rid of a whole bunch of sport cards cheap; I searched through them and a couple in this series were there that caught my eye. Liked the look of them and ordered some more off an Ebay seller.

Got a handful of players along with Lord Stanley, Lady Byng and Foster Hewitt.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Exactly. I made a thread on here months ago asking about early 90s cards. "What SHOULD they be worth?" Basically wanting to discuss all the RCs that were in the sets from 1990-92 (e.i. Modano, Bure, Fedorov, Sundin, Jagr, Belfour, Recchi, Brodeur, Lindros, Mogilny, Lidstrom, Selanne, Hasek).

Had the market not been so flooded and the hobby just remained with the status quo, maybe a Mike Modano RC would be worth $40-$50 today rather than the $2-$5 or so. It's a shame.

My late grandfather collected a bit in the early 1950s in Montreal. Had himself nearly the entire set of 1951-52 Parkhurst in a binder. All the cards in excellent shape.

He brought them out in about 1990 or 1991 when us kids got real heavy in to the hobby. Caused a bit of an issue when he then gave them all to my uncle and none to my dad, even though my dad was/is the Gordie Howe/Red Wings fan (yes, he had the Howe RC).

My uncle still has them, but has had a couple dealers over to get estimates (better not be selling them! )

Some of my favorite cards in mine and my bro's collection (not even sure where we got them) are 2nd year Lafleur and Dionne cards. I also have a 1958 Terry Sawchuk Parkhurst I obtained in a trade in 1991 (no clue how the kid had it in the first place but I wasn't asking questions). The cards aren't mint at all, with rounded corners and maybe a bit more minor wear, but they're amazing to have.
As far as the Parkhurst, I would not recommend keeping them in binders, the acid in those pages are terrible for cards - especially vintage cards.

Yea, as far as the early 90's the cards were just mass produced, and even today you can get boxes of Pro Set for 3-5 bucks for a box, they're certainly fun to open but not worth anything. Personally I prefer the 90-91 opc and 90-91 Upper Deck as far as "junk wax."

It was funny, when I was younger I always collected vintage cards 10,20,30 or 40 years and older than me so I really didn't pay much attention to the newer stuff although I did buy packs... You can bet the serious collectors got a kick out of a kid like me walking around at card shows with a box full of cards from the 50's and older.

As far as cards today, I have absolutely no desire to collect modern cards, I'm perfectly happy with the vintage stuff. I will say I do like the throwback cards tho that take older card designs and apply them to the present day sets...

Old
12-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheng Peng View Post
My thing is Kings' history, a museum of franchise's highlights and lowlights. Consequently, finding the only certified Anson Carter Kings' autograph (only 5 out there!) is a true thrill haha. I'm also trying to complete my Adam Deadmarsh collection, so if you have any rare Kings/Avs pieces, let me know!
Good luck on your endeavor, but there is no possible way to collect every card of a player that is literally impossible with all the "odd ball" stuff and even presently will all the different sets.

Believe me I tried with George Brett and it took me 10 years to even get 25% of his cards.

Old
01-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Doanut
Rookie User

Hello All,

I collected OPC cards from the mid 70's. Still have them and they are in pretty good shape. I still collected up until the early 90's but have not purchased any in quite a few years. I carry a chip on my shoulder to this day since I was an avid collector as a kid and only stopped collecting in the 79-80 season when we moved out to rural Edmonton with no close stores to purchase cards....thus no early Gretzky cards.

I still do some looking around on ebay for some interesting Goalie cards since I love the old fibreglass masks.

I would like to get into making may own cards so I was interested to hear how Eleven created his own cards. Found lots of tutorials on single sided cards but never one on making a double sided card. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a link (somewhere) to a web site that has images of almost all early sets of hockey cards if anybody is interested...I would just have to fine it.

Thanks!

Doanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Norm Ullman

As a kid, I collected because I love the game. In the early 90s, it became a business and a lot less fun. In the early 2000s, I needed cash and, unfortunately, sold all of my best stuff. :-(

Now, I collect for fun again. Some dealers hate me because I will dig through a box of their sorted cards, find the players I want and walk away with 50 or 100 cards for $20. Then, I do the same thing next year and the year after and the year after. My favorite cards are from the 70s so, I pick some of those up from time to time. My policy is to NEVER pay more than $10 for a card and even then it must be a 70s or older card to spend that much. I rarely pay over $1 for cards and I have four big binders full of cards that I like and take a look at every once in a while.

You know what, card collecting is fun again. Doing it for the money is completely repulsive to me.

Norm Ullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2015, 04:28 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
As I grew older I sometimes wondered if the card companies did this intentionally to keep the kids chasing that last man and buying their cards. Did they distribute a short supply of certain players to different parts of the country or was there a place in Canada where everyone had dozens of Ron Ellis cards and no one could find a Bill Orban to finish their set?
No idea on hockey cards, but Topps did for baseball cards. Before 1974, they would release 100 cards at a time. First, card 1-100, then 101-200 and so on. The last batch didnt come out until August and was always a much shorter-print. Beginning in 1974, they changed it and released them all at once. Hence, why complete sets earlier than 1974 are worth much more than later 70s sets. In the early 80s is when the ridiculous mass over production started and why most of those cards aren't worth anything.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2015, 04:38 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

I use to collect 51-52 Parkhurst. I had Richard, Kelly, Geoffrion and a few other ones. The guy I got these from put his set together in 4 years. He's a school teacher who use to travel to Colorado and up West and into Canada in the Summer. He also would go to the East Coast National show and to the big show in Toronto. I also had a mint 2nd year Bobby Orr and a few of his other cards from that set.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2015, 04:42 PM
McGuillicuddy

I've just started getting back into it myself. Born in the mid-70s, my prime collecting years were in the 80s. Unfortunately I traded away a lot of good stuff I had from the early 80s when the boom happened in the early 90s. I'm having fun getting back into it, but probably spending more money than my wife would like . Just picked up a Gretzky 2nd year, Bossy rookie, Lemieux rookie, and a couple complete sets of OPC from the 80s in nice shape. I am totally floored by the fact that you can get a very nicely graded Lemieux rookie for less than some of the Crosby rookies. I can't see that sustaining over time.

I'm still no expert on the current cards. For those that are, I'd like to buy either a box or complete set for the 2008-09 and 2011-12 seasons to save for my boys (born in those years). Can anybody recommend what I should pick up for them that would be a good set to have, but wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg?

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2015, 12:47 AM
MilanKraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post

I'm still no expert on the current cards. For those that are, I'd like to buy either a box or complete set for the 2008-09 and 2011-12 seasons to save for my boys (born in those years). Can anybody recommend what I should pick up for them that would be a good set to have, but wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg?
We're in canada are you?
I can get you nice base sets for 11-12 13-14 14-15 for $10-$20 each...Very affordable. ...half of what you'll pay at a store.

MilanKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2015, 01:28 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
As far as the Parkhurst, I would not recommend keeping them in binders, the acid in those pages are terrible for cards - especially vintage cards.

Yea, as far as the early 90's the cards were just mass produced, and even today you can get boxes of Pro Set for 3-5 bucks for a box, they're certainly fun to open but not worth anything. Personally I prefer the 90-91 opc and 90-91 Upper Deck as far as "junk wax."

It was funny, when I was younger I always collected vintage cards 10,20,30 or 40 years and older than me so I really didn't pay much attention to the newer stuff although I did buy packs... You can bet the serious collectors got a kick out of a kid like me walking around at card shows with a box full of cards from the 50's and older.

As far as cards today, I have absolutely no desire to collect modern cards, I'm perfectly happy with the vintage stuff. I will say I do like the throwback cards tho that take older card designs and apply them to the present day sets...
Good to know about the pages. Thanks.

I completely agree about vintage cards. The only newer ones I collect are certain UD YG rookies. Mostly my Dallas Stars players. Other than that, no thanks. The retro ones, definitely cool looking and I do have a few.

Matter of fact, I'm getting the itch as I write this. Have the day off so may head in to the big city (Edmonton) and grab myself a box of first year Upper Deck to open

Would probably have to wait until Sunday though. Wife has today and tomorrow off. Wants to spend quality time. Whatever that is. I may suggest I open while she hands me hard plastic cases for any good rookies I get. That's quality time, is it not?

Last edited by tjcurrie: 01-16-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old
01-16-2015, 01:31 PM
ResilientBeast

vCash: 300
Actually just ordered a couple complete sets just so I could have them 89/90 and 90/91 especially since they contained almost every rookie I've wanted and it would be cool to have some more era appropriate Gretzky cards, I think I'm gonna steer clear of the more recent stuff since the rarity has heavily inflated the value so it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I think I'll go for the 83 HHOF memorial set (forget the actual name), some cool players in there like Taylor and Nighbor.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanKraft View Post
We're in canada are you?
I can get you nice base sets for 11-12 13-14 14-15 for $10-$20 each...Very affordable. ...half of what you'll pay at a store.
GTA. By base sets does that mean no rookies are included? Sorry, dumb question. I come from an era where there was only 1 set per year . Extended sets started coming around as I stopped collecting.

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2015, 04:49 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
GTA. By base sets does that mean no rookies are included? Sorry, dumb question. I come from an era where there was only 1 set per year . Extended sets started coming around as I stopped collecting.
I think you could go for O-Pee-Chee(OPC) for both 2008/09 and 2011/12. They include 600 and 625 cards respectively, including rookies and they are relatively cheap.
If you want more expensive Upper Deck series 1 and 2 also inludes many cards, but some of the Young Guns rookies are pretty steep since they have been very popular since the beginning of time. Still realistic though, and Ebay is a good place to see the sets values.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 01-17-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2015, 03:11 AM
BlueShirts702

So, my parents are moving to the Bahamas and my dad had this old drum set he was going to get rid of. His friend came by to pick it up and I just happened to be pulling up at the same time as him. We chatted for a few then went inside to watch football...well...on his way out when we were packing up the drums he says to me "Hey, I have all these old hockey cards from one of my clients who had an estate sale...do you want them?" I looked in the back of the truck and there were boxes upon boxes...so...even though I haven't collected cards in forever, I said yeah, what the hell....long story short....in one of the boxes there is a complete set of OPC 1984 with LaFontaine, Yzerman, Neely, Gilmour, Verbeek, all the Gretzky cards and I saw that only a handful of Mike Liut cards have ever been sent in to get authenticated. I've seen some of the Yzerman rookies go for 2500! I doubt the card I have is Gem-mint but it's in pretty damn good shape besides the centering being a little off ( I read this is an issue with OPC?) Anyway, besides those there are tons of other cards. A Score set from 1990 but the french edition? I'll try and get an idea of all the stuff that's there and i'll add to this post when I get around to it.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote