HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Holik - advocate

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2004, 11:52 AM
drewcon40

vCash: 500
Bobby Holik - advocate

Newsday article on Holik

"I don't think you have to accept anything like that because internally, it causes problems," Sather said. "I talked to Bobby, to his agent last year, and they assured me there'd be no problems like this. This is America. There's freedom of speech here. Players have a right to voice their opinions, but at the same time, it doesn't do the team any good to have internal bickering like that."

Telling ourselves something that's going to make us feel better hasn't worked," Holik said. "If you want to correct something, you cannot get better if you don't address it. Maybe facing reality, facing the truth, will make us realize we can correct it."
As for the relationship between the two, Holik laughed. "I'm the player, he's the coach. That's the relationship," he said. "It's nothing personal. This is my way to try and make the team better."

From what I have read, it seems to me that a majority of the Ranger fans do not like it when Bobby Holik speaks his mind. I for one love this and feel that this is a positive for the team. Even after a disappointing season in 2002-03, I feel that Bobby is one of the few signings that has worked out. He is paid a lot but no one expected a graceful goal scorer. He is a defensive forward who brings leadership.

When Lindros signs with Detroit and Grandpa retires, I say make Bobby the captain! Am I the only one out there? (Well me and Larry Brooks.)

I think Sather should just shut up about Bobby. Any success that Sather has will be due to a major contrabution from Holik.

Old
01-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
Newsday article on Holik

"I don't think you have to accept anything like that because internally, it causes problems," Sather said. "I talked to Bobby, to his agent last year, and they assured me there'd be no problems like this. This is America. There's freedom of speech here. Players have a right to voice their opinions, but at the same time, it doesn't do the team any good to have internal bickering like that."

Telling ourselves something that's going to make us feel better hasn't worked," Holik said. "If you want to correct something, you cannot get better if you don't address it. Maybe facing reality, facing the truth, will make us realize we can correct it."
As for the relationship between the two, Holik laughed. "I'm the player, he's the coach. That's the relationship," he said. "It's nothing personal. This is my way to try and make the team better."

From what I have read, it seems to me that a majority of the Ranger fans do not like it when Bobby Holik speaks his mind. I for one love this and feel that this is a positive for the team. Even after a disappointing season in 2002-03, I feel that Bobby is one of the few signings that has worked out. He is paid a lot but no one expected a graceful goal scorer. He is a defensive forward who brings leadership.

When Lindros signs with Detroit and Grandpa retires, I say make Bobby the captain! Am I the only one out there? (Well me and Larry Brooks.)

I think Sather should just shut up about Bobby. Any success that Sather has will be due to a major contrabution from Holik.
Who ever said nobody likes it when Holik speaks? Sure it looks abit odd when he's struggling himself and then he goes out and talks the big game, but I generally like it when Holik speaks his mind. He's got some of the best quotes out there.

Old
01-27-2004, 01:13 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I'm with you

Quote:
Newsday article on Holik

God forbid someone points out the fact that this team is flawed.

And where is the internal bickering?? Holik made a team wide statement, including himself, Sather should be the one correcting the issue.

I love to hear these things and hope that Holik continues to say them.

I've never believed that you have to have accomplished something or have been a main contributor to team success in order for your voice to be heard and Holik may not be having the greatest of seasons but it's totally refreshing to hear him make these comments.

Keep'em coming Bobby.

Old
01-27-2004, 01:19 PM
TXNYR

Quote:
Newsday article on Holik

Holik has been known to talk to the media about issues that should stay within the team. He can create a lot of dissention by doing that. I, for one, would be very careful around him if I were his teammate.

Holik didn't say anything like that this time. He just stated how things were.

How about Sather "punishing" him by putting him on the fourth line?

Old
01-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Davisian

Don't confuse asking Bobby to look in the mirror with disagreement on his assesment of the team..

Fact is, he's pretty much right on, but I also see Sather's point that you just shouldn't say these things to the press.. Light the team up in the lockerroom, but when it comes time for sound bites, instead of saying "We're fundamanetaly the worst team in the NHL." He should be saying "We're struggling, and we each need to look at ourselves to work harder and support our teammates to play better."

It might be refreshing to see a player share the same sentiments we have, but that doesn't make it wise for him to do..

It lacks tact, and if anything will be done to turn this around, its going to take ALL of them working together. Calling out the team in house recognizes the problem, calling out the team in public does nothing for a solution..

Especially when Holik has not exactly been the wrecking ball he can be and has been. He's much better suited to lead by example, not by words..

Old
01-27-2004, 06:47 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Who ever said nobody likes it when Holik speaks? Sure it looks abit odd when he's struggling himself and then he goes out and talks the big game, but I generally like it when Holik speaks his mind. He's got some of the best quotes out there.
Theo Fan -

I started that thread in response to this one:

Holik

Old
01-27-2004, 07:25 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Don't confuse asking Bobby to look in the mirror with disagreement on his assesment of the team..

Fact is, he's pretty much right on, but I also see Sather's point that you just shouldn't say these things to the press.. Light the team up in the lockerroom, but when it comes time for sound bites, instead of saying "We're fundamanetaly the worst team in the NHL." He should be saying "We're struggling, and we each need to look at ourselves to work harder and support our teammates to play better."

It might be refreshing to see a player share the same sentiments we have, but that doesn't make it wise for him to do..

It lacks tact, and if anything will be done to turn this around, its going to take ALL of them working together. Calling out the team in house recognizes the problem, calling out the team in public does nothing for a solution..

Especially when Holik has not exactly been the wrecking ball he can be and has been. He's much better suited to lead by example, not by words..
Sums up the situation perfectly IMO.

Old
01-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Thalia

Here's another article about Holik since you're on the subject of him talking to the media...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=69813

Closed Thread