HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Yeah, was thinking about that. Even with Giroux's extension kicking in, we'd be more than 15 million under a 70 million cap with only needing to re-sign a few restricted free agents (Mason, B. Schenn, Raffl), backup goaltender and either re-sign or upgrade from Downie.

That doesn't even include Pronger's LTIR $.

I wonder if we take a run at Vanek, Cammaleri or Callahan in the offseason.
Throwing some money at Girardi would be better served imo.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
We'd need to move one of Coburn, Grossmann or Schenn. Girardi is better, but too redundant with those 3. Pairings would be brutal.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Curufinwe

Giradi is a worse skater than Coburn. If you move him but keep Grosmann and Schenn it would be a total disaster.

Old
01-03-2014, 03:00 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
We'd need to move one of Coburn, Grossmann or Schenn. Girardi is better, but too redundant with those 3. Pairings would be brutal.
I'd happily move one of Grossmann or Schenn to bring in Girardi. He's much closer to Coburn than he is one of the other two. At least his transition game isn't non-existent.

Coburn-Streit
Girardi-Gus
Grossmann-Alt

That would be much better in my opinion. Even better, get an upgrade on Gus and put Streit back on the second pair, and run Gus/Alt as the 6th defenseman. That may be too much to ask for though.

Old
01-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Prongo
Beer

Girardi's biggest asset with me is he is right handed. We need a two more righty's on this team. Luke plays the one well, it's so much easier for them to keep the puck in the zone when you have a right handed dman stationed at one side and a lefty at the other.

I don't know how much he gets, but I would be willing to throw 6 million per year for 5 years at him. The price probably will be high, but he is worth it.

Then get Shea Weber. We have our three righties then!

Old
01-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Let him stay in the SHL for a few more years until he dominates. The flyers have two other defense prospects who are closer to NHL ready in Alt and Gostisbehere. It isn't the best idea to introduce multiple rookies on defense into the lineup all at the same time. Add Alt next year, Gostisbehere the year after, and Hagg or Morin in 2016.
Nah, Berube will convince Homer to give Mez a new contract, get rid of Gus, and they'll resign Kimmo for another year at 10m.

Old
01-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Would really like to see Alt get into a few games this season

I really hope Ghost heads to the AHL next season
He should be getting games in right now while Gus is injured, even if it's just so Mez doesn't play. I honestly don't think it would be possible for Alt to do more harm than Mez has.

Old
01-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
How about not sign more middling defenders, focus on getting the guy, and then using available roster spaces for players in our system to better determine what we actually have?

Old
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Stizzle

AHL : Adirondack Phantoms - Hershey Bears... download AdBl0ck Plus to get rid of the terrible ads:

http://firstrows.biz/hockey/ahl-adir...bears-frsbe090

http://firstrows.biz/hockey/ahl-adir...bears-frsbe0gf

Old
01-03-2014, 06:22 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
How about not sign more middling defenders, focus on getting the guy, and then using available roster spaces for players in our system to better determine what we actually have?
Let me know when "the guy" comes along, and I'll be happy to jump on board. Guys like Weber and Suter only hit the market on rare occasion, and even then, there's little guarantee that you can acquire them. Other than that, you have to draft and develop one. And the Flyers don't have a future number one in the system, not even close. Until then, try to acquire a balance of talent and take the depth approach.

Old
01-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Let me know when "the guy" comes along, and I'll be happy to jump on board. Guys like Weber and Suter only hit the market on rare occasion, and even then, there's little guarantee that you can acquire them. Other than that, you have to draft and develop one. And the Flyers don't have a future number one in the system, not even close. Until then, try to acquire a balance of talent and take the depth approach.
Pronger, MacInnis, Niedermayer, Stevens, Chelios, Blake, and Chara all traded franchises. Either through free agency, or actual trades. The important thing is to leave yourself with more than 500K of cap space every season, so when the option presents itself you have the assets, and versatility to make it count. The best way to do that is not signing the LeCavalier's, or spending first-round picks on the Carle's, and Versteeg's. Just my opinion of course.

Old
01-03-2014, 08:00 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Pronger, MacInnis, Niedermayer, Stevens, Chelios, Blake, and Chara all traded franchises. Either through free agency, or actual trades. The important thing is to leave yourself with more than 500K of cap space every season, so when the option presents itself you have the assets, and versatility to make it count. The best way to do that is not signing the LeCavalier's, or spending first-round picks on the Carle's, and Versteeg's. Just my opinion of course.
7 guys in roughly 20 years. Kind of tough odds when you're competing with 28 other teams for their services. That's my point. Guys like that may or may not ever come along. Saving up in the hopes that you might get one is stretching it. Look how long it took us just to get one elite player in the post-Lindros era in Giroux.

Old
01-03-2014, 08:06 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Nitpicking but Carle wasn't traded for a 1st (he would have been worth it though). The other firsts were traded for Pronger.

Old
01-03-2014, 09:34 PM
FlyersFan61290

Phantoms beat the Bears 1-0. Akeson had the lone goal, unassisted. He now has 25pts in 32 games. Heeter with the shutout w/ 29 saves. In 22 games he's 11-10 with a 2.13 gaa and a .928 sv%. I'll check where that stands in the league when I get to a computer.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 01-03-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Miss spelled Heeter
Old
01-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
7 guys in roughly 20 years. Kind of tough odds when you're competing with 28 other teams for their services. That's my point. Guys like that may or may not ever come along. Saving up in the hopes that you might get one is stretching it. Look how long it took us just to get one elite player in the post-Lindros era in Giroux.
An oversimplification if there ever was one, fh. 20 years is Bourque, Stevens, Coffey, Murphy, MacInnis, Chelios, Blake, Pronger, Niedermayer, Desjardins, Gonchar, Timonen, Zubov, Chara, Boyle, Suter, and let's not forget Weber whom Nashville retained out of desperation. So, in the last 20 years, 16 (could have been 17) of the most prominent defensemen have gone on to help teams other than the one that initially signed/drafted him. You just have to put yourself in the right position when the whispers come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Nitpicking but Carle wasn't traded for a 1st (he would have been worth it though). The other firsts were traded for Pronger.
It looks like I'm guilty of oversimplifying matters myself. Eminger was acquired for a first. Carle was acquired for Eminger and Downie, who was another former first-round pick himself. That's... not much better in hindsight, especially given Carle's situation in Tampa pre-Pronger resurrection.

Old
01-03-2014, 09:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I still think Heeter and Akeson should be given shots with the Flyers.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Broad Street Elite

Morin with another assist and +1 in a 5-3 win Rimouski win.

21 points in 31 games.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:07 PM
FlyersFan61290

Heeter is third in the AHL in sv% at .928 through 22 games, .929 is second and .950 first** though no one else in the top 8 has over 20 games played.

**Scott Darling is in first but only has 13 games played. I doubt he sustains that .950 especially considering he's a rookie.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Tripod

Quote:
An oversimplification if there ever was one, fh. 20 years is Bourque, Stevens, Coffey, Murphy, MacInnis, Chelios, Blake, Pronger, Niedermayer, Desjardins, Gonchar, Timonen, Zubov, Chara, Boyle, Suter, and let's not forget Weber whom Nashville retained out of desperation. So, in the last 20 years, 16 (could have been 17) of the most prominent defensemen have gone on to help teams other than the one that initially signed/drafted him. You just have to put yourself in the right position when the whispers come.

It looks like I'm guilty of oversimplifying matters myself. Eminger was acquired for a first. Carle was acquired for Eminger and Downie, who was another former first-round pick himself. That's... not much better in hindsight, especially given Carle's situation in Tampa pre-Pronger resurrection.
So 20 in 16 years...so really...1 a year. And you have to compete against 29 teams. Even if you eliminate half the teams due to high salary....1 chance out of 15.

And FWIW....Philly got 4 of these guys, OS Weber and tried hard for Suter. Philly has shown that they do their best to land #1 Dmen when they become available.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Heeter is third in the AHL in sv% at .928 through 22 games, .929 is second and .950 first** though no one else in the top 8 has over 20 games played.

**Scott Darling is in first but only has 13 games played. I doubt he sustains that .950 especially considering he's a rookie.
I think Heeter will start next year as our backup.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I think Heeter will start next year as our backup.
I could see that. Sign Mason for 4 years. And then bring up Heeter for 2. Then have Stolarz as the back up. That is what I would like to see.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:28 AM
flyershockey

Hagg has been bailing teammates out left and right today.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Vasilyev hasn't looked too bad either. He is pretty smooth with the puck. Made a nice spin move out of the corner and had a nice shot on net afterwards. I have been impressed.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Vasilyev hasn't looked too bad either. He is pretty smooth with the puck. Made a nice spin move out of the corner and had a nice shot on net afterwards. I have been impressed.
He has looked very good. He's much smoother than I had previously though based off the scouting reports.

Stick to the face. That hurts.

Lazy comparison I know, but he reminds me a lot of Orlov in Washington. That's mostly just from the eye ball test on skating style.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Jtown

Quote:
r u serious? he has very little ice time and has looked unintrested in his own end. He is their 6th dman. He is not relied upon in any fashion.

Closed Thread