HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Please read and support the game we love

Old
01-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Please read and support the game we love

go to hockey fans unite and read about the Bettmen protest at the jan 20 Rangers game

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
confused, but you know ill support any cause against that piece of trash

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 04:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
http://*************************/

If it were genuinely some anti-Bettman thing I might be interested. But after reading the site through, it seems to be recommending a series of rule changes to increase the "passion" in the game and restore a "North-American" mentality. I don't agree with a lot of the rule changes supported by the site (ending the shootout, letting goalies play pucks in corners, cut down on "pointless" obstruction calls), so I can't really get behind this. It's good to see people taking a passionate interest in the state of the game though, so I commend the guys at the site for that.

EDIT: for some reason, the board will not permit me from posting the URL. It's *http:*//hockey*fans*unite.com*, minus the ***, obviously.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The only leverage the average fan has is NOT spending money on the NHL product. Don't buy tickets, don't buy jerseys, boycott the sponsers of the game. Short of hitting the owners where it hurts, fans have very little imput.

Waving a bunch of signs is not going to change a bloody thing.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 05:09 PM
shoothepuck

Odd site, but anyone who's anti-Bettman is ok

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 05:27 PM
DontStaal

anti-bettman yes... but i dont see anything wrong with the new NHL and the way the game is played. It's fast paced and brings out the best of the skilled players

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:29 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
anti-bettman yes... but i dont see anything wrong with the new NHL and the way the game is played. It's fast paced and brings out the best of the skilled players
If you don't thing theres anything wrong with the new NHL then you haven't been watching it...or never used to watch the NHL

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
If you don't thing theres anything wrong with the new NHL then you haven't been watching it...or never used to watch the NHL
Oh, ****, someone disagrees with you that the on-ice product is fine and that means they have never watched hockey?

Old
01-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Yes, nyk2k2, he ALWAYS has to bash peoples knowledge/fanship/loyality whatever if they dont agree with his GRIT style/old NHL "old days" hockey..

its really uncalled for TBBB, seriously.

BTW, that link is crap. The game could use some rule changes, I suppose, but for those of you who whine only about lack of GRIT, I will not support.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:41 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Sounds interesting, Ive lost a lot of interest in hockey and if we go back to the old days it would be so much better.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikO'doyle View Post
Sounds interesting, Ive lost a lot of interest in hockey and if we go back to the old days it would be so much better.
Which old days? Over 8 goals per game in the 40s? Are we talking the 5 goals per game Golden Era? Or the 9 goals per game era of the 1980s? Or the 5 goals per game of the late-90s, early 00s? I always get confused when I hear people reference the old days.

Old
01-19-2007, 11:52 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Oh, ****, someone disagrees with you that the on-ice product is fine and that means they have never watched hockey?
How the heck is the on ice-product fine? You go ahead and explain it to me if you want. If you really are satisfied with what you get on a night in and night out basis and don't think that it can be improved upon then I really don't know what to say...but there's no way you could be watching because it is very obvious that this game is not flawless

Old
01-19-2007, 11:53 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Which old days? Over 8 goals per game in the 40s? Are we talking the 5 goals per game Golden Era? Or the 9 goals per game era of the 1980s? Or the 5 goals per game of the late-90s, early 00s? I always get confused when I hear people reference the old days.
The old days as in the days where rivalries existed...the grit and passion was always there...players hated each other and played with emotion. Those old days. The old days where a brawl every now and then was always expected. The days where there was no instigator rule.

Old
01-19-2007, 11:56 PM
FLYLine24*

Anyone with Center Ice...I suggest you watch the "Battle of Alberta" tomorrow at 10est...Flames @ Oilers.....media is hyping the game up big time, both teams have called up their big enforcers for it...should be a great game.

Anytime these 2 team face off its intense and exciting....but for some reason the media is really hyping it up...obviously the players will take notice....I will definitely be tuning it at 10:00 for this game..should be a great one.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
How the heck is the on ice-product fine? You go ahead and explain it to me if you want. If you really are satisfied with what you get on a night in and night out basis and don't think that it can be improved upon then I really don't know what to say...but there's no way you could be watching because it is very obvious that this game is not flawless
The game has never been flawless, and I'm not saying it's even close now. Hell, I didn't even say I agreed with the guy about liking the product.

But just because the guy disagrees with you and likes the on-ice product doesn't mean you need to belittle him or question whether or not he's a fan of the game. Chill the **** out TBBB, there are opinions out there other than your own, and if someone holds one of those opinions it doesn't mean that they don't watch hockey or know nothing.

Quote:
The old days as in the days where rivalries existed...the grit and passion was always there...players hated each other and played with emotion. Those old days. The old days where a brawl every now and then was always expected. The days where there was no instigator rule.
With players moving around as frequently as they are I doubt you'll ever see those rivalries again. As far as "playing with emotion," it is possible to play passionate hockey without getting into a fight every five minutes. I'm not saying that I don't miss certain aspects of hockey that were present as recently as five years ago, but to portray the league as a whole as lacking passion or emotion is stupid. I know our team sucks and plays lifeless hockey every night, but there are 29 other teams out there.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 01-20-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old
01-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
The game has never been flawless, and I'm not saying it's even close now. Hell, I didn't even say I agreed with the guy about liking the product.

But just because the guy disagrees with you and likes the on-ice product doesn't mean you need to belittle him or question whether or not he's a fan of the game. Chill the **** out TBBB, there are other opinions out there than your own, an if someone holds one of those opinions it doesn't mean that they don't watch hockey or know nothing.
Exactly. Well said.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Me and you seem to like the same brand of hockey...but NYR2K2 brings up a good point...maybe it is just the Rangers that play this boring, lifeless hockey on a night in, night out basis. Maybe other teams in the league ARE more exciting and maybe hockey now isn't so terrible. I haven't seen too many games outside of Ranger games this season, so I wouldn't know.

But, with all that said, there are still many flaws in the game now. It's just not how it used to be. Goal totals aside (because everyone seems to be obsessed with how many goals are scored, instead of how well the game is played), the game is just plain boring right now. Honestly, if the score was 1-0, but there was all kinds of passion, hitting, and it was a hard fought game, that would be a great game, and not boring at all. But the dummies who run the NHL right now are so damn worried about the goal totals, they forget what REALLY attracts fans to the game.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 01:14 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

But just because the guy disagrees with you and likes the on-ice product doesn't mean you need to belittle him or question whether or not he's a fan of the game. Chill the **** out TBBB, there are opinions out there other than your own, and if someone holds one of those opinions it doesn't mean that they don't watch hockey or know nothing.

With players moving around as frequently as they are I doubt you'll ever see those rivalries again. As far as "playing with emotion," it is possible to play passionate hockey without getting into a fight every five minutes. I'm not saying that I don't miss certain aspects of hockey that were present as recently as five years ago, but to portray the league as a whole as lacking passion or emotion is stupid. I know our team sucks and plays lifeless hockey every night, but there are 29 other teams out there.

I'm completely chilled out...but you can basically view my mini-rant on him as just wanting an explanation because I couldn't have been more stunned.

I'm with you on most of this....but I guess I just fall into the trap that I watch this team every night and not any of the other 29. Sure when I watch other games there's more...but it stilll will never compare to the amount there used to be. I've said it myself...the West is so much different than the East it's unreal

Old
01-20-2007, 03:16 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Me and you seem to like the same brand of hockey...but NYR2K2 brings up a good point...maybe it is just the Rangers that play this boring, lifeless hockey on a night in, night out basis. Maybe other teams in the league ARE more exciting and maybe hockey now isn't so terrible. I haven't seen too many games outside of Ranger games this season, so I wouldn't know.

But, with all that said, there are still many flaws in the game now. It's just not how it used to be. Goal totals aside (because everyone seems to be obsessed with how many goals are scored, instead of how well the game is played), the game is just plain boring right now. Honestly, if the score was 1-0, but there was all kinds of passion, hitting, and it was a hard fought game, that would be a great game, and not boring at all. But the dummies who run the NHL right now are so damn worried about the goal totals, they forget what REALLY attracts fans to the game.
Same with me, i turned off the tv watching today's game because I was falling asleep from boredom, the NBA became boring a few years ago and now the NHL has joined it.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Choice

I saw one weird looking dude with a very makeshift looking sign about this at the game today

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:33 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
http://*************************/

If it were genuinely some anti-Bettman thing I might be interested. But after reading the site through, it seems to be recommending a series of rule changes to increase the "passion" in the game and restore a "North-American" mentality. I don't agree with a lot of the rule changes supported by the site (ending the shootout, letting goalies play pucks in corners, cut down on "pointless" obstruction calls), so I can't really get behind this. It's good to see people taking a passionate interest in the state of the game though, so I commend the guys at the site for that.

EDIT: for some reason, the board will not permit me from posting the URL. It's *http:*//hockey*fans*unite.com*, minus the ***, obviously.
Well, I can get behind ending the shootouts as I'd rather see the game end during play as opposed to a skills competition. Extending the OT to 10 minutes of 4 on 4 would see a reduction of ties.

I also think that goalies should be allowed to play the pucks in the corner. I like to have a goalie that is good with the stick and know's how to handle the puck, and I would go so far as to say that if they venture out of the crease that they are fair game in the hitting department as well.

Calling the game today as opposed to pre-lockout is something that I like, but there have been some really tick-tack penalties that don't disrupt the flow of the game that have been called that I'm not fond of.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
I like the new rules. I'm split on the shootout but I like the games not ending in a tie.

First and foremost the second ref has to get the hell off the ice. No need for him. Refs have been missing calls all season, I feel more than they usually do.

The soft calls need to stop na dlet them hit. I thought last year they did a better job calling the obstruction.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:45 AM
xander

Quote:
this is a great point. Hockey fans have been talking about the 'lost art' of the body check since the forward pass was introduced 70 years ago. Hockey was always, faster, better and more physical when viewed through the prism of time. We forget that there where complaints about the game in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's too, and some of those complaints where pretty similar to the ones you hear today.

THe fact is that obstruction was killing the game. Even those of us that still watched every game didn't like the product on the ice prior to the lockout. It's never a good thing when a sport allows mediocre players to suffocate brilliant ones, and this is what was happening durring the obstruction era.

Not to say that there arn't problems. I abhore special teams fests as much as anyone, and I would love to the game allowed to breath a bit more than it is now. Hopefully over the next few years we will see the players adjust to the way the game is called and commit fewer of the mindless hooks and holds that get called so frequently. Whether this is a plausible or mearly wishful thining is hard to say.

I'm with them on a few issues. I'd like to see the instigator done away with, it interfears with a policying system that was entrenched in the sport and protected stars. Fighting wasn't nearly the sideshow that it is now until the instigator came into being. What's the point of a fight if both sides have to agree to it? What does that deter?

Shootouts can and should be done away with. I've never understood the logic behind deciding a hockey game with a process that rarely ever happens within the game itself. I don't get what is so wrong with ties, there are 82 games! who cares if 8% of them don't have a winner?

As for rivalries and dynsties? It's hard to imagine teams accumulating dynasty talent and keeping it in the cap era. How many players would have the 70's Candians have had to give max money too? We talk about finding one or two franchise players to build around, that team had 9 hall of famers (Dryden, Lafleur, Lapoint, Robinson, Cournoyer, Gainey, Lemair, Savard, Shutt.)
You can't put those types of teams together in a capped league and this league, as presently constituted, need the cap. Now If it where up to me I would simply liquify 15 teams and do away with the cap (you wouldn't need it anymore), but that will never happen.

Last edited by xander: 01-22-2007 at 02:02 AM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Fight Club

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote