HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Thread Part XI: New year...no trades.

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
You would think that the thought of re-signing a top RH defenseman on a LHD heavy team, in his off-year, who still manages 50%+ on ice Corsi against the toughest competition in the league would excite the fans.

Guess not.
Not if it's a 6-7 year contract at 6M per year. Look at what Phaneuf got.

Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
shows just how clueless this organization is.
What does?

Old
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:

be prepared to tread water for the next 5-10 years.
Re-signing a legit top-4 dman is clueless?

Okay.

01-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Curious: Has he even missed any games?
He has missed a grand total of 2 games (in the 2010 - 2011 season).

Which is... quite incredible.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Re-signing a legit top-4 dman is clueless?

Okay.
See, we can twist it like that for Callahan too. Resigning a top 6 heart and soul player is clueless?

The problem is that we are giving the green light to the core, which has not amounted to much or led us anywhere over the years.

I'd be OK with a 3-4 year contract. But that will never happen. Girardi is going to want 7, possibly 8 years. And I don't want to get into that.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers Fail View Post
See, we can twist it like that for Callahan too. Resigning a top 6 heart and soul player is clueless?

The problem is that we are giving the green light to the core, which has not amounted to much or led us anywhere over the years.

I'd be OK with a 3-4 year contract. But that will never happen. Girardi is going to want 7, possibly 8 years. And I don't want to get into that.
It's not twisting it. Girardi hasn't been as bad as people make him out to be, IMO. Callahan is another story. I don't know why we're treating like a package by default.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

If Girardi is signed, Sather will not have learned anything. That's a 100% green light signal that he still believes in the core. This team will continue to be mediocre, and we'll have more of these fun losses for the next 5 years.

Don't resign him. Don't resign Callahan.

01-03-2014, 10:34 PM
McD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The Rangers missed their chance. Even the 11-12 team was average. They looked like a bubble team for most of the season but had a great start to the year. Barely made it to the ECF. Took 7 games to beat two "lesser" teams. They should have taken a step back in the middle of the decade in order to take a big step forward. If they had been able to draft talent to build around, this would have been an elite team. A couple elite players supplemented by guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Hagelin, etc.

Sather can't help himself. He loves to make the big splash. How many awful FA signings has he made? How many terrible trades? Now we're locked into a mammoth deal for Lundqvist, a huge deal for Nash, and he's bumbled his way into an excuse to "go for it" every year even though the team is poorly built; It doesn't compete, lacks physicality, and lacks skill.

What a joke.
True but that's a cup we could've stolen if Hank played like himself in game 5 of the ECF. The stars were aligned for us. Kings were an eight seed. We would've had home ice. I think that's one hank wishes he had back. Could've been vezina and the cup on top of the gold he won.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
It's not twisting it. Girardi hasn't been as bad as people make him out to be, IMO. Callahan is another story. I don't know why we're treating like a package by default.
He's been very up and down. More down than up. Although he's been trending in the positive direction in the last few games. I'd still prefer to see them both traded for some solid prospects and firsts.

I guess they're treated as a package because they've been here for around the same time, both are part of the "leadership group," both are UFA's, and both have been part of a mostly disappointing core for quite some time.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:40 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD27 View Post
True but that's a cup we could've stolen if Hank played like himself in game 5 of the ECF. The stars were aligned for us. Kings were an eight seed. We would've had home ice. I think that's one hank wishes he had back. Could've been vezina and the cup on top of the gold he won.
The Kings would have obliterated the Rangers.

They had size, speed, fight, and a better goalie

Old
01-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers Fail View Post

We'll you have to make hard choices when situations like this arise. If I'm keeping one of the two it's Girardi. He's a no questions asked top-four who has almost never missed a game and isn't playing as poorly as people say. Cally has always been more of a third liner playing over his head and is injured quite a bit more frequently. I don't want to see either go, but I also feel Cally will net us a larger return at the deadline. Girardi may even get paid less. All that considered G is the one I'd keep.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

What is this obsession with "the core"

Complimentary players are necessary too

Is Willie Mitchell a core player in LA

No

Girardi is a good, solid player who has experience and should be kept. We lack RH D. Who are we handing the reigns to? McI? He's too raw, he's not going to burst onto the scene and play 20 minutes a night.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
We'll you have to make hard choices when situations like this arise. If I'm keeping one of the two it's Girardi. He's a no questions asked top-four who has almost never missed a game and isn't playing as poorly as people say. Cally has always been more of a third liner playing over his head and is injured quite a bit more frequently. I don't want to see either go, but I also feel Cally will net us a larger return at the deadline. Girardi may even get paid less. All that considered G is the one I'd keep.
Agreed. If forced to, I keep G. But I'd rather still trade both.

Quote:

No

Girardi is a good, solid player who has experience and should be kept. We lack RH D. Who are we handing the reigns to? McI? He's too raw, he's not going to burst onto the scene and play 20 minutes a night.
Alright, maybe I'm going a bit too overboard with the core thing. I still see Girardi as a complimentary player, especially going forward. In a perfect world where the Rangers are actual contenders, he's on the second pairing.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:47 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

be prepared to tread water for the next 5-10 years.
Regardless of what they do with Girardi/Callahan I firmly believe they will be anyway. Barring ridiculous luck at the draft. It's in their DNA.

01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
17futurecap

50/50 on Girardi, contract is obviously a big part of it. If you keep him do you trade Staal at some point, or let him walk for nothing? Staal will be a UFA at age 28, but those injuries would make me scared to give him any kind of long term deal.

Is it fair to say Girardi, even being a UFA after the year would bring back more than Staal right now?

Old
01-03-2014, 10:54 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Callahan and Girardi aren't the problems. "Stars" playing like stars are. Richards. Nash. 1st line players playing like 3rd liners and not noticeable/difference makers. Say what you want about a guy like Jagr, but you NOTICED him

Old
01-03-2014, 10:57 PM
I Am Classless

I don't think there's any real need to trade Girardi unless someone wows us, he probably likes playing here and even a bad contract can be shuttled off if it needs to. For Callahan I'd think about taking whatever hockey player soup we can get.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:

No

Paying 5.5 million dollars for a complimentary piece, when our team is just a bunch of complimentary pieces, isn't a great idea in my opinion.

I like the idea of trading Girardi, in addition to me not being a fan, because that almost ensures we suck enough to draft high and start over. He is a great defenseman, and he'd be worth a ton on the market. He doesn't fit this system, at all, and his play is deteriorating.

I'm not buying that he's going to take a reasonable deal to stay, when he is far and away the best UFA d-man on the market.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
50/50 on Girardi, contract is obviously a big part of it. If you keep him do you trade Staal at some point, or let him walk for nothing? Staal will be a UFA at age 28, but those injuries would make me scared to give him any kind of long term deal.

Is it fair to say Girardi, even being a UFA after the year would bring back more than Staal right now?
Very easily. Plays 25 + minutes a night, and is right handed. That's huge value right there.

Staal playing like sewage doesn't help his value, though.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:48 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Pyatt to PIT for Jussi Jokinen?

Oh.. wait

Said it before and I'll say it again now.. Should've picked him up off waivers. Glen is a moron. Guy's been torching us non stop.

Del Zotto + Boyle to EDM for Perron..thoughts?

Del Zotto + Boyle to TBL for Purcell

Rather have the former, really like Perron's game

Old
01-03-2014, 11:52 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoHitTheNetJK View Post

Pyatt to PIT for Jussi Jokinen?

Oh.. wait

Said it before and I'll say it again now.. Should've picked him up off waivers. Glen is a moron. Guy's been torching us non stop.

Del Zotto + Boyle to EDM for Perron..thoughts?

Del Zotto + Boyle to TBL for Purcell

Rather have the former, really like Perron's game
Edmonton is not going to deal Perron. That deal to bring him in has worked out fantastically for them, why would they go and mess it up unless they were bringing in a sure thing? Just doesn't make any sense for them.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Vidic15*

I can live with Girardi staying because RDs that eat up a lot of minutes are hard to come by. Callahan, Boyle, DZ, Brassard, and even Nash should be made as trade bait. He's got 4 years left on his deal after this season

Old
01-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Del Zotto and Boyle to Stars for Brett Ritchie, Jamie Oleksiak and Curtis McKenzie??

Rangers rebuild and get some young prospects with size something that this organization lacks...Ritchie and McKenzie both young forwards with size skill and grit.. far from soft...

Old
01-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Del Zotto and Boyle to Stars for Brett Ritchie, Jamie Oleksiak and Curtis McKenzie??

Rangers rebuild and get some young prospects with size something that this organization lacks...Ritchie and McKenzie both young forwards with size skill and grit.. far from soft...
What in the world? Why would Dallas do this? That package doesn't get us Oleksiak alone. That's a serious overrating of our players.

Old
01-04-2014, 12:19 AM
RangersHank*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post

That is **** for Dallas

Closed Thread