HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Collberg, Lehkonen, Bozon... That's not what they need. They need a 2-way D that can play 25+ min a night with Subban.
Lots of d-men of all shapes/sizes/styles...Subban Diaz Gorges Emelin plus Tinordi Beaulieu Nygren Pateryn Bennett Thrower Didier Dietz.

Old
01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Lots of d-men of all shapes/sizes/styles...Subban Diaz Gorges Emelin plus Tinordi Beaulieu Nygren Pateryn Bennett Thrower Didier Dietz.
Diaz and Gorges hopefully wont be here long term.

Pateryn, Thrower, Ellis and Dietz have bottom pairing potential IMO.

Didier, Nygren and Bennett are longshots. Although they can be very usefull if they develop properly.

That leaves Subban, Tinordi and Beaulieu. Emelin will probably still be around but we can use a RHD that can play top 4.

Thats why I say McKeown or Glover will be a very welcome addition.

Old
01-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Diaz and Gorges hopefully wont be here long term.

Pateryn, Thrower, Ellis and Dietz have bottom pairing potential IMO.

Didier, Nygren and Bennett are longshots. Although they can be very usefull if they develop properly.

That leaves Subban, Tinordi and Beaulieu. Emelin will probably still be around but we can use a RHD that can play top 4.

Thats why I say McKeown or Glover will be a very welcome addition.
I think you're selling a lot of those guys short, most of those guys have #3-4 upside, they just need more development time. Bennett and Didier are underrated on here. Bennett is a smart 2 way guy that moves the puck well and plays big minutes. Didier is a big physical guy who skates pretty well.

I have no problem with a 1st round d-man...but there is enough depth there that it's not a need so you take BPA.

I think we need Diaz or Gorges maybe not both. I definitely wouldn't move both.

Old
01-02-2014, 04:20 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
I think you're selling a lot of those guys short, most of those guys have #3-4 upside, they just need more development time. Bennett and Didier are underrated on here. Bennett is a smart 2 way guy that moves the puck well and plays big minutes. Didier is a big physical guy who skates pretty well.

I have no problem with a 1st round d-man...but there is enough depth there that it's not a need so you take BPA.

I think we need Diaz or Gorges maybe not both. I definitely wouldn't move both.
Im looking at long term. Gorges and Diaz aren't going to be here hopefully.

If you think Dietz, Ellis, Thrower and pateryn are going to be 2nd pairing guys you will be disappointed. Maybe at best a decent #4. Most likely a #5.

Bennett looks good. Didier might be a depth guy.

Old
01-02-2014, 06:01 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Collberg, Lehkonen, Bozon... That's not what they need. They need a 2-way D that can play 25+ min a night with Subban.
Agreed. Habs have taken a lot of forwards over the last 2 drafts. Last year, I wanted them to take a goalie. This year they have to draft at least 1 D with potential top pairing upside.

I don't think any of our D prospects are anything more than 2nd pairing to depth defenseman, not even Tinordi. Markov is close to retiring. Gorges is not getting any better, and he's usually a top 3 guy for us.

It depends on who's there and where we pick, of course. If we continue to free-fall and end up out of the playoffs, the forwards at our spot might be too good to pass up, but D is a need.

Old
01-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Im looking at long term. Gorges and Diaz aren't going to be here hopefully.

If you think Dietz, Ellis, Thrower and pateryn are going to be 2nd pairing guys you will be disappointed. Maybe at best a decent #4. Most likely a #5.

Bennett looks good. Didier might be a depth guy.
I don't think they will all be 2nd pair guys, but I think in 4-5 years at least one will be, maybe 2...it may not be here as they could be used as trade bait.

Old
01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
I don't think they will all be 2nd pair guys, but I think in 4-5 years at least one will be, maybe 2...it may not be here as they could be used as trade bait.
I honestly wouldnt be surprised if most of them are AHL guys or depth defenders in the NHL. I think maybe 3 of them will be full time NHLers. The rest will either be going back and forth NHL and AHL or good AHL players.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:21 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

A madman's notes: Really like John Quenneville from Brandon lately. A favourite of mine Blake Clarke has been good since the trade. North Bay is a blackhole.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Ginu

Quote:
With Collberg, Lekhonen, McCarron, Hudon and Reway I think we're fine there too. We need to trade a number of our other players / prospects for a bonafide 40 goal scorer. Whenever one becomes available. And focus on building this defense.

Old
01-03-2014, 05:47 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Also Goldobin on Sarnia has quietly wrecked **** the past month. Still hasn't improved his defensive game in the few games I've seen in that stretch but dear god silky hands and sweet playmaking ability.

Old
01-04-2014, 03:32 AM
Bacchus1

We should take a top D unless their is a quality no miss sniper available. You can never have enough quality D, and even if some of our prospects make it, a quality D is always a commodity you can make a deal with. This year we are missing at least 1 D and 1 sniper. A sniper is something you could pick up on the trade market or through free agency. However, quality centres and defensemen are sometimes harder to procure. We Have 2 very good centres going forward in Eller and Chucky, and our we are one trade away from having a very solid top 6 (if we still had Cole this wouldn't be an issue). However, the loss of McDonough and Beauchemin are really hurting us now, and we could do with reinforcements. Hopefully Beaulieu and Tinordi will graduate next year and make an impact, and hopefully de la Rosa will fill that missing winger, although he isn't a sniper. Maybe Colleberg will be that illusive sniper. We are set in goal for a long time with Fucale and Price, so no need for a goalie. If we do get a D, though, I hope it is one of those situations where he can step in in a year or two.

Old
01-05-2014, 01:11 PM
S Bah

Building a list and checking it thrice making sure it's full of naughty not nice:

Ryan Verbeek LW -OHL - Kingston
Connor Chatham -RW - OHL - Plymouth

These two players would help make a devastating line with Connor Crisp @ center, three years in Hamilton (AHL) and they would be NHL ready.

Old
01-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Nitehowl

Scouting

was just looking at draft lists and realized Ehlers was missed by 30 teams for 7 rounds. Now he is expected to be a top 10 pick for 2014!!

How can scouts miss him and Lucas Wallmark(projected 2nd rounder) for 7 rounds??

Old
01-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
was just looking at draft lists and realized Ehlers was missed by 30 teams for 7 rounds. Now he is expected to be a top 10 pick for 2014!!

How can scouts miss him and Lucas Wallmark(projected 2nd rounder) for 7 rounds??
Ehlers is a 2014 elligible, he's born in 1996. He's not even 18 years old yet, so teams couldn't pick him last year when he was just 17.

As for Wallmark, I really don't know. Most people had him in the 3rd to 5th round range, so not getting picked at all was (and still is) pretty surprising. I wonder where he will go in this year's draft.

Old
01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
S Bah

Quote:

Ehlers doesn't turn 18 until 14th Feb. 2014 another month and 9 days. Wallmark was really small last year, but was being scouted.

Old
01-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Grant McCagg

Wallmark was my highest ranked player who didn't get drafted last season. He has power play quarterbacking skills, and that's a valuable commodity in today's game.

The concern then, as it is now, is with his skating. You cannot discount his power play skills though, and I'm fairly confident he'll get drafted this time around.

Old
01-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Ehlers is a 2014 elligible, he's born in 1996. He's not even 18 years old yet, so teams couldn't pick him last year when he was just 17.

As for Wallmark, I really don't know. Most people had him in the 3rd to 5th round range, so not getting picked at all was (and still is) pretty surprising. I wonder where he will go in this year's draft.
In Craig Button's TSN list he has a Feb 13 1995 birthday which would make him a 2013 Draft

Old
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
In Craig Button's TSN list he has a Feb 13 1995 birthday which would make him a 2013 Draft
Yeah, that part is wrong

Ehlers is not eligable before this summer.

Old
01-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Wallmark was my highest ranked player who didn't get drafted last season. He has power play quarterbacking skills, and that's a valuable commodity in today's game.

The concern then, as it is now, is with his skating. You cannot discount his power play skills though, and I'm fairly confident he'll get drafted this time around.
Any idea in which round he might end up getting picked?

Old
01-06-2014, 12:06 AM
calder candidate

The player I really like is David Pastrnak, I found him to be pretty impressive at the WJC

Great one on one skill : We don't have many if any prospect that can really dangle under presure through the middle of the ice and create scoring chance by him self.
Good shot but most importantly a very quick release.
Great accelaration and elusive moving laterally
Also seemed to be a good competitor.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:57 AM
S Bah

The WJHC's certainly had it's share of good prospects for the 2014 Entry Draft and Ivan Barbashev the LH/C for Moncton being one of the best. Depending upon availability @ the Habs first choice I'm all for Barbashev or Conner Bleackley RH/C for Red Deer Rebels.

If at all possible, I'd love to see the Habs draft both of them and draft Eric Cornel RH/C for Peterborough Petes in the 2nd round. It certainly would give the Habs depth at center like the Habs teams of their SC Championship teams had in those days.

Barring the centers availability, I'm thinking either LW or Def. and Nick Ritchie @LW or Leon Draisaitl C/LW, then Brycen Martin @ LD or Julius Honka RD. Any of the above players would make it a successful draft IMO. If the Habs draft Ritchie in the 1st, it would be particularly good news for me if they drafted Cornel in the 2nd round, as they are teammates and linemates quite often. Nice to have prospects playing together in junior before moving on to the AHL, better for their development and for the Habs long term.

Draisaitl & Honka are probably gone in the Top 15 picks OV, unless the Habs hockey gods are smiling down on them @ the Entry Draft. My aim is focused on Bleackley, Ritchie or Martin being the best player available when the Habs are on the podium choosing. At least I hope one of them are still available, Alex Vanier is a LD that has promise and may move into the late 1st round if all my other choices have been taken.

Ryan Verbeek and Connor Chatham are two forwards that I think have potential as well and could be 2nd or 3rd round picks, that could be late steals in the 3rd or 4th IMO.

Last edited by S Bah: 01-07-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old
01-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Mathletic

Pépin traded to Gatineau. Hope he can salvage his season because he could drop quite a bit at the draft.

Old
01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Pépin traded to Gatineau. Hope he can salvage his season because he could drop quite a bit at the draft.
Oh he's gonna drop waaaaay down.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:04 PM
S Bah

The Habs draft position will improve quite a bit, with the injuries to Galchenyuk, White and Parros. These are coming just before the Olympic break otherwise the Habs could have seen their playoff hopes dashed. They may be able to draft a better prospect due to the injuries, there is always a silver lining somewhere, if you look hard enough.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Those that have seen him play , think Habs would be interested in picking him 3rd or 4th round??

Closed Thread