HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what we gave up.....

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2004, 02:29 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
"the risk is being one of those teams that is stuck in rebuilding mode every year....and that would suck....."

I think what's actually happening is the opposite: the Caps are, perpeturally, one of those teams that neitehr excel nor suck, and just kind of stick in a holding pattern, which is why they have performed as they have; never good enough to consistently go deep in the playoffs, never bad enough to get a high draft pick to get young talent in.

Also of note is how many times I've heard Leonsis use the word 'cap' in interviews, even when he corrects himself.
That's been us for as long as I can remember.

Old
01-27-2004, 02:31 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
2. The Detroit Red Wings haven't been bad enough for high round draft choices either. yet, they have zetterberg, datsyuk, fischer, hudler and so on. they have datsyuk and atlanta with a top early pick got patrick stefan with the first pick.

where you pick is no guarentee of what you are going to get.
They were lucky enough to get Yzerman and Lidstrom. They also have a good scouting staff, as do the Devils. We NEVER, get so lucky. We get one Bondra, the others get tones of gems late in the draft.

Old
01-27-2004, 01:35 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
I hope that you can deal with it for a very long time. for a nhl team to be able to keep its head above water in the washington market, it needs to win. leonsis knows this. you may be a caps fan thru thin, but be prepared for a long 5 year stretch before you see any thickening. can you really deal with that, "as long as they are trying hard"? are rick berry and darcy verot really a good reason the spend $100 for two tickets for the nightly beating?
To be honest I've never had the disposable income to go to many Caps game during the year. Most of my support for the team is watching every telecast. One thing to keep in mind is that high draft picks and prospects are assets that could be traded for more established NHLers. So who truly knows what could happen in 2-3 years.

01-27-2004, 10:15 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
They were lucky enough to get Yzerman and Lidstrom. They also have a good scouting staff, as do the Devils. We NEVER, get so lucky. We get one Bondra, the others get tones of gems late in the draft.
Zednik was a 7th rounder... and one could make the case for him being an all-star this year. Klee was a 9th rounder. Brunette was a 6th.

But then again, we haven't had a late round suprise since 1994 Drafts 1995, 96, and 97 were particularly brutal.

Old
01-27-2004, 10:30 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter
Zednik was a 7th rounder... and one could make the case for him being an all-star this year. Klee was a 9th rounder. Brunette was a 6th.

But then again, we haven't had a late round suprise since 1994 Drafts 1995, 96, and 97 were particularly brutal.
Does Halpern being completely undrafted and going from try out straight to the team make up for any of that at all? Considering that Halpern skated with the Caps every summer before camp like Werner does I would think that they knew Halpern would not be picked and let him slide knowing that he had a shot from the get go.

Old
01-27-2004, 11:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Hmm

I think Zed was a 10th rounder, Klee didn't become a steady defensman until he was 29-30. Brunette is hardly a star, but a good find late in the draft.

What about all the first round busts? Those are the guys that are supposed to make your team.

Halpern was a great FA pickup no doubt. Again no gem. And no it doesn't make up for much IMO.

Closed Thread