HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who else out there is rooting for a loss?

Old
01-19-2007, 03:19 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
If I've learned anything as a sports fan it is that you can't equate your happiness totally with winning...in the end only one team wins and everyone else goes home disappointed. You have to take your enjoyment and pleasure where and when it comes.
Root for a loss? Never....True Blue!
What is frustrating to me is inept management. How many times have I watched the NHL draft and say to myself "please take this player...please take this player," only to see us draft yet another project or someone who you just know will not make it. How many times have a rolled my eyes at another free agent signing or a trade that you know will just not work out. How many times do we let state vets play while talented kids rot on the vine? How many years to be have to put up with horrible ownership, incompetent GMs, and coaches who you just know will not get the most from the players.

Thats my frustration. Sometimes I hope some of our players will come down with the flu, or minor injuries (not major ones, I would never hope for that), so we can bring kids up.
But root against the Rangers.....never, never, never (OK, the only exception would be in the last few games of a season when we were near last place and there was a Crosby or Lemieux available).
Go Rangers!

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 03:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If you are going to root for a loss, why bother watching the games? Certainly why bother posting on a board like this?

01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If you are going to root for a loss, why bother watching the games? Certainly why bother posting on a board like this?
Parcells starts Scott Brunner instead of Phil Simms. Every game he starts is one less game Simms learns how to be an NFL quarterback and therefore retards his progress.

Nothing speaks louder to a coach than losses.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Precisely because I am a fan. Because I care about this team, and I have seen enough to know that the only way that it has a shot of becoming a winning, respectable organization is if their current approach of lucrative mediocrity implodes.

To be honest, I'm shocked that almost no one seems to understand this concept. There's more to being a fan than being happy over one game won. If you all truly care for this team, how can you NOT hope for something, ANYTHING that will compel the management to go in the right direction?

Before you can heal you must diagnose the illness properly! A cancer patient agrees to a painful and dangerous operation because of its long-term benefits. That's just the truth of things.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:15 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
To be honest, I'm shocked that almost no one seems to understand this concept. There's more to being a fan than being happy over one game won. If you all truly care for this team, how can you NOT hope for something, ANYTHING that will compel the management to go in the right direction?
I understand this entirely and I don't disagree.

The problem as I see it is that nothing will compel this management to do what it has done so far:
1. Begin off season with the plan of making the playoffs.
2. Purchase UFAs accordingly.
3. Go into the season with winning and playoffs as objective #1.
4. If the team can't make the playoffs, sell quick at the deadline. (And with the early trade deadline and the number of teams getting into the playoffs, there is almost never no hope of making it.)
5. Begin next off season as we did last.

Losing feels bad but if it could actually change the philosophy of this management I might actually be able to hope for losses. But losing won't change the philosophy of this management. It doesn't believe in a sustained re-building project, and so it doesn't see the value in losing.

All that being the case I say again, I can intellectually justify it as a good, but the reality is that it DOES no good for this team. Therefore I cannot root for losses.

I have no idea if that makes an ounce of sense.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:17 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
But I just can't see why someone would choose not to root for the team.
It is rooting for the team. It's taking the long view that the team is eventually better for losing.

Old
01-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
I understand this entirely and I don't disagree.

The problem as I see it is that nothing will compel this management to do what it has done so far:
1. Begin off season with the plan of making the playoffs.
2. Purchase UFAs accordingly.
3. Go into the season with winning and playoffs as objective #1.
4. If the team can't make the playoffs, sell quick at the deadline. (And with the early trade deadline and the number of teams getting into the playoffs, there is almost never no hope of making it.)
5. Begin next off season as we did last.

Losing feels bad but if it could actually change the philosophy of this management I might actually be able to hope for losses. But losing won't change the philosophy of this management. It doesn't believe in a sustained re-building project, and so it doesn't see the value in losing.

All that being the case I say again, I can intellectually justify it as a good, but the reality is that it DOES no good for this team. Therefore I cannot root for losses.

I have no idea if that makes an ounce of sense.
First of all, thanks for injecting some common sense into this multitude of replies.

Secondly, allow me to disagree with you that losing won't change the management's philosophy. It's just that our particular management is so ridiculously greedy and bullheaded that it takes them a hell of a long longer to "get it."

Pre-lockout, it took 7 long long years of losing to force them off this track. However, what we thought to be a blessing in a successful 05-06 season turned out to be a curse. The guys in charge immediately lost their heads at the very first sign of success and went right back to trying to get it done the wrong way, completely ignoring the fact that it was precisely those first few steps in the right direction that almost instantly changed the character of this team. Now we're back in the same downward spiral.

The question is how many years of mediocrity will it take this time around to get out of it?

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 07:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Parcells starts Scott Brunner instead of Phil Simms. Every game he starts is one less game Simms learns how to be an NFL quarterback and therefore retards his progress.

Nothing speaks louder to a coach than losses.
I'm not saying that loses can't have a purpose (or that good can come from them). What I am saying is I can't understand rooting for the team you support to lose.

If anything, this administration has shown that losing is by no means a reason to change the course.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 08:03 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm not saying that loses can't have a purpose (or that good can come from them). What I am saying is I can't understand rooting for the team you support to lose.

If anything, this administration has shown that losing is by no means a reason to change the course.
Simply a matter of being spiteful and petty, in my case.

Sitting in front of my TV going "I told you so, Renney".

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 08:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Simply a matter of being spiteful and petty, in my case.

Sitting in front of my TV going "I told you so, Renney".
I can see that being fun. But predictable.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 09:27 PM
DarthSather99

I don't root for a loss but always root for what is best for the Rangers. Like someone said, only one team wins everyone else loses.

If we don't have a chance to be a STRONG contender, I don't root for a loss but accept the results and move on. If they are losing consistantly then I don't mind that teams overtake them in the standings so we will get a higher draft pick. Nothing is guaranteed with draft picks but higher one's have greater value therefore giving the Rangers a more valuable commodity.

I find this period the Rangers are in interesting. I think if we can chain another good couple of drafts together like the last few, we will have a solid future ahead of us. A future team that will compete EVERY year.

Since our present stinks, it's always nice to have a future to look forward to.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 09:31 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
It is rooting for the team. It's taking the long view that the team is eventually better for losing.
I know what you are saying and I can see how it helps the team more in the long run instead of rooting for them to win games in what will possibly be a meaningless season, but when I spend money on the tickets and watch the games on TV, I can't help but wanting to see us win every game 8-0.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:35 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Pre-lockout, it took 7 long long years of losing to force them off this track.
See I don't think it forced them off their normal track - or to be more precise, I think it forced them off their track for one week: the week of the fire sale. That was a team that was trading FOR Jagr just weeks before that trade deadline. I don't think that even then they had any desire for a sustained rebuilding. They simply took what came their way: a quick fire sale because there was nothing else to do.

Quote:
The question is how many years of mediocrity will it take this time around to get out of it?
This shows you more optimistic than me. I don't think they'll ever do it. I don't think they committed to a different philosophy in 04/05, and I don't think they ever will. If they HAD commited to a sustained rebuilding, you would have seen Jagr and some other vets moved last year.

Old
01-20-2007, 10:35 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
This shows you more optimistic than me. I don't think they'll ever do it. I don't think they committed to a different philosophy in 04/05, and I don't think they ever will. If they HAD commited to a sustained rebuilding, you would have seen Jagr and some other vets moved last year.
I don't know how people can't see the changes we've made. Maybe some want instant results. Before a couple of years ago our minor league team was a collection of AHL grey beards. Now just about every player on Hartford is/was a legitamate prospect.

Rebuilding begins with drafting players and then developing them in the AHL. It takes time. Some of our serious prospects just hit the AHL this year. During the time you develope those players you need to field a NHL team, hence Jagr and the other "free agents" we signed. Note, we DID NOT trade prospects/picks for the roster to be filled.

You sight the non - trade of Jagr as proof of the Rangers non rebuilding? I think that is a weak argument. I find the fact that we did not trade picks/prospects for veterans last year as proof of the teams long term commitment.

Last year the Rangers for the first time in 7 years had a shot at going to the playoffs. Going to the playoffs would have been beneficial for Sather to justify his existance. The team had serious injury/fatigue problems late in the year and they DON'T trade prospects for veteran help in the push for the playoffs? You don't see that as a commitment to rebuilding?

The Rangers were famous for trade deadline trades sacrificing picks/prospects for veterans. We don't see those types of trades anymore.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote