HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
He has looked very good. He's much smoother than I had previously though based off the scouting reports.

Stick to the face. That hurts.
Just saw that too haha. Of course Sweden coach thought dive. Bleeding and heads to the locker room. I think he actually has some offensive ability. I would like to see what he can do in the AHL and then judge him from there. Although I heard he wants to play in Russia for 2 more years or something IIRC.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:41 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
r u serious? he has very little ice time and has looked unintrested in his own end. He is their 6th dman. He is not relied upon in any fashion.
Ok. I've watched all of 20 minutes of this game and I've seen him make 3 or 4 very strong defensive plays. I wasn't even keying on him either. You have impossible standards.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Just saw that too haha. Of course Sweden coach thought dive. Bleeding and heads to the locker room. I think he actually has some offensive ability. I would like to see what he can do in the AHL and then judge him from there. Although I heard he wants to play in Russia for 2 more years or something IIRC.
I wouldn't be opposed to him staying longer actually. He's going to have be very good once he comes over with Hagg, Morin, Ghost, and Alt all looking to arrive at the same time. The only one that has a bit of a difference is Alt who's already in the AHL.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Ok. I've watched all of 20 minutes of this game and I've seen him make 3 or 4 very strong defensive plays. I wasn't even keying on him either. You have impossible standards.
I really don't. This is a dman who is in his 2nd wjc and he has a smaller role this year than he did last year. To me that shows regression. Last year I thought he was a stud, this year he has not had much of an impact and not much ice time.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:50 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
I really don't. This is a dman who is in his 2nd wjc and he has a smaller role this year than he did last year. To me that shows regression. Last year I thought he was a stud, this year he has not had much of an impact and not much ice time.
Another to consider is the pace of the game. I know the WJC's are fast paced, but he's used to playing at a professional pace in the SHL. Some guys struggle when the game slows down. A couple of times I've noticed that he's often looking to push the play before his teammates are ready. Not an excuse obviously, bit just something to consider.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:54 AM
flyershockey

As good as Zadorov is, you can see why some people question his offensive game at the next level.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
r u serious? he has very little ice time and has looked unintrested in his own end. He is their 6th dman. He is not relied upon in any fashion.
He is out vs the oppositions top line almost every shift!

And is the go to guy on the 1st PK.

6th d man lmao.

I imagine he is somewhere is the 2-3 range in TOI for the tournament on the SWE blueline.

He does not have a 'smaller' role... he has a different role.

Basically him and Arnesson are the only two guys who are good defensively (Norrell and Djoos are middling) so while all the Sweden D men can move the puck apart from Arnesson, not many are solid in their own zone, so a premium has been put on that, they are terrified of having guys like Bengtsson, Olofsson and Pettersson vs top competition.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:57 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Ask Swedish fans in the WJC section about him. You can't just look at ice time and offensive stats. The team as a whole is a powerhouse and Hagg is one of the only people on that team capable of playing defense. He's getting all defensive minutes meaning no pp and tons of pk, cause they have an abundance of quality offensive players.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:58 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

6th d man lmao.

I imagine he is somewhere is the 2-3 range in TOI for the tournament on the SWE blueline.
I was gonna say that. I noticed him out there a ton for a guy that's only getting number six minutes.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Another to consider is the pace of the game. I know the WJC's are fast paced, but he's used to playing at a professional pace in the SHL. Some guys struggle when the game slows down. A couple of times I've noticed that he's often looking to push the play before his teammates are ready. Not an excuse obviously, bit just something to consider.
I wouldn't make excuses for him. Just watch him on the ice, his play speaks for itself. He has been unimpressive this tournament , that being said he could still turnout to be a good player but this tournament has not been a good showing for him.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Jtown

Quote:

6th d man lmao.

He does not have a 'smaller' role... he has a different role.

Basically him and Arnesson are the only two guys who are good defensively (Norrell and Djoos are middling) so while all the Sweden D men can move the puck apart from Arnesson, not many are solid in their own zone, so a premium has been put on that, they are terrified of having guys like Bengtsson, Olofsson and Pettersson vs top competition.

on the 4 min pp he was out their to begin the period then didnt see the ice for the rest of the pk

Old
01-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Ask Swedish fans in the WJC section about him. You can't just look at ice time and offensive stats. The team as a whole is a powerhouse and Hagg is one of the only people on that team capable of playing defense. He's getting all defensive minutes meaning no pp and tons of pk, cause they have an abundance of quality offensive players.
Yeh... they want to win, it is what they have to do, as their D in their own zone is pretty much their only weak point, so they are having to 'cheat'.

Just watch what is happening now... top Russian line is cleverly double shifted to be vs Olofsson and Pettersson, it is ugly as hell.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
on the 4 min pp he was out their to begin the period then didnt see the ice for the rest of the pk
He was out for the last 40 seconds and made a play to break the puck out when it came infront of the net.

Pretty sure Sweden did not have a defensive pair change for ~1.30 in the middle of it.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Appleyard

They just gave Hagg 4 out of the last 5 D shifts in the game, inc triple shifting him, he was on the ice for the entire last 2 minutes... with a different D man on the other side, with a 1 goal lead in the WJC semi.

No.6 D man.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:25 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
They just gave Hagg 4 out of the last 5 D shifts in the game, inc triple shifting him, he was on the ice for the entire last 2 minutes... with a different D man on the other side, with a 1 goal lead in the WJC semi.

No.6 D man.
His closing speed is unreal. He collapses on guys in the defensive zone before they even know what's going and just suffocates the play.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Jtown

Quote:

No.6 D man.
no he wasn't. 6-13 were out there when 6 took the penalty.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:

No.6 D man.
Might be best to put Jtown on ignore now. The guy is ridiculous.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
no he wasn't. 6-13 were out there when 6 took the penalty.
Pretty sure it was 6-14, and they had swapped out Norrell for Pettersson but Hagg had switched sides. I think they were intending to change it but only got one on before the penalty was taken.

He was definitely there for 4 of the last 5 shifts... 4-8 (Djoos and Arnesson) was the other shift. But Arnesson had a shift with Hagg as well I reckon, Norrell had two with Hagg and Pettersson had one.

Maybe he was not out for the 'entire' last two minutes... but it was at least 1.40, and probably ~2.10 of the last ~3.

As I had previously stated... he has been their go to D man all tourney vs the oppositions top players, and is heavily relied on in the D zone and PKs, as shown here by how much he was out in the last few minutes with a 1 goal lead. In other games as well they had played him with either Arnesson or Pettersson at times on double shifts... the only other guy they do that with is Arnesson.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:56 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
He has looked very good. He's much smoother than I had previously though based off the scouting reports.

Stick to the face. That hurts.

Lazy comparison I know, but he reminds me a lot of Orlov in Washington. That's mostly just from the eye ball test on skating style.
Orlov is much more of an offensive guy with a bomb of a shot.

One thing about Hagg is he plays so upright and with a narrow base, I think he's going to have a tough time getting leverage against bigger stronger guys.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:01 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

One thing about Hagg is he plays so up right and with a narrow base, I think he's going to have a tough time getting leverage against bigger stronger guys.
Yeah I meant just in terms of skating style. This was the first time I've even seen him play.

I agree with the Hagg reference. He's going to need that leg drive in NA where he can't just beat guys by manhandling them. I think his defensive positioning and closing speed are his two best assets though. He gets on guys very quickly, even if from across the ice.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Dude, I'm not sure what game you were watching. I thought Hagg was a bad ass today. He played with tons of piss and vinegar. Hagg was super physical all game. It was really encouraging. I loved when the Russian got called for goalie interference and Hagg stood over the Russian and jawed at him.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

No.6 D man.
I am glad you saw the same thing I did. The guy is not a flashy player. But he is cool under fire and makes a great 1st pass. He does not panic at all and is very smart in his own end. He is big and moves well for a large man. He plays the body well. He just does not have all the "glitter" stats that gets people all jacked up. Out there for all those shifts when they are protecting a one goal lead in a very important game is all I need to know about his value to his club. Time will tell how he grows into a pro game down the road, but it sure looks like he has the chance to play in the NHL one day and be a solid defenseman.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 0
Hagg reminds me of Brodin alot

Old
01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

One thing about Hagg is he plays so upright and with a narrow base, I think he's going to have a tough time getting leverage against bigger stronger guys.
I know what you mean but he'll adjust. He's a pretty big guy too, 6'2" and almost 210 at 18yo. He turns 19 in a little over a month.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
Hagg reminds me of Brodin alot
He is actually scoring at exactly the same pace as Brodin did in the SHL at his age... with far less minutes and no PP time.

Brodin:

GP:49 G:0 A:8 P:8 PIM:14 SOG:56 Hits:5 +: 22 -:16 +/-:6 TOI: 17:27

Hägg:

GP:33 G:1 A:4 P:5 PIM:16 SOG:32 Hits:38 +:11 -:14 +/-:-3 TOI: 13:08

Their skating is similar, both very good, maybe Brodin has the edge, and Hägg has the better shot and is far, far nastier and more physical.

That being said Brodin has better puck skills and was far more consistent at that age, he is also more cerebral at reading the game (although Hägg is good, Brodin is pretty special in that regard, the guy has insane IQ, I think I remember his brain and decision making tests at the combine were just off the charts, like the best by far and it was not even close) and I think will always be the better player.

Closed Thread