HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

GDT: 18/01/07 Montreal @ Atlanta 7 PM EST (RDS)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2007, 12:03 PM
NoKtUrN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Power play does not count for +.
Thank you for the quick response.

Old
01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
That is the most passive PK I've seen against Souray in a long time.

I have no clue why atlanta PK didn't challenge souray more aggresively especially since the team is struggling to move the puck around with confidence. I'll give them a break on the 5 on 3 but the plekanec goal was just a piss poor PK strategy/effort.

The poor atlanta PK and Huet's heroics were the key to the win. But in general, I think we are far from being out of the woods yet. There's still improvements to be made. The 1-2-2 is much too porous and the defensive zone coverage is having alot of lapses. Hopefully, the 2 points gained will bring a bit more confidence back into the team leading to better defensive execution.

Its funny how samsonov gets rewarded with a goal in the same game where he displayed some urgency and added effort. I'll have to see more of this from sammy on a consistent basis before I start to get off his back because we have seen this one game mirage before from him.
Good post. If i remember correctly our last game against Atlanta Souray also scored and their point coverage was pathetic, there is clearly some coaching issue in ATL they should do their homework. That being said i don't complain about it

Old
01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
One of Hossa's shots were right on his chest.

Huet made a few good stop, but he certainly wasn't "tested". I don't think it was a very hard night for him at all, other than a few moments in the first. He was there to make the key saves though, which is what's important.

I'm just saying that the shots aren't the whole story... We didn't let them walk all over us, they just took alot of low-chance weak shots that weren't threatening.
I agree shots don't tell the story, we dominated that game for the most part. But I do think Huet made some real big stops, and rebound control, he was tested and wss on his game. WHen Huet's really on his game, all the saves look easy, that's how you know he's hot.

Thing is with Huet, it's always hard to tell the really good saves because he makes it seem so easy. For example, Hossa's shot was right at the chest, well that's because Huet was in brilliant position, like 1 ft outside of the crease, perfectly aligned to the shooter through traffic, as a result it looks like a simple save. Some other goalie that might have gone under his arm or even over the shoulder.

Aebi makes more spectacular saves in 1 game than Huet in a whole month!

Old
01-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
I agree shots don't tell the story, we dominated that game for the most part. But I do think Huet made some real big stops, and rebound control, he was tested and wss on his game. WHen Huet's really on his game, all the saves look easy, that's how you know he's hot.

Thing is with Huet, it's always hard to tell the really good saves because he makes it seem so easy. For example, Hossa's shot was right at the chest, well that's because Huet was in brilliant position, like 1 ft outside of the crease, perfectly aligned to the shooter through traffic, as a result it looks like a simple save. Some other goalie that might have gone under his arm or even over the shoulder.

Aebi makes more spectacular saves in 1 game than Huet in a whole month!
Yes, and Aebischer is out of position innumerable times in any given game, not to mention his giving up fat rebounds.

Old
01-19-2007, 06:00 PM
guest1467

Sourays shot went inbetween 2 Atlanta players that were about 5 feet away from him, (which ended up deflecting the puck through Kari's legs) how is that bad coverage? There is just no way to cover this guy completely, cause if you do than Kovalev will burn you down low on the half boards.

Old
01-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Sourays shot went inbetween 2 Atlanta players that were about 5 feet away from him, (which ended up deflecting the puck through Kari's legs) how is that bad coverage? There is just no way to cover this guy completely, cause if you do than Kovalev will burn you down low on the half boards.
all this says is that the atl players didn't completely go into souray's shooting lanes.

Instead of forcing souray to find his own room, they gave it to him. If the shooting lane was blocked, souray normally doesn't shoot in the first place.

Old
01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
That is the most passive PK I've seen against Souray in a long time.

I have no clue why atlanta PK didn't challenge souray more aggresively especially since the team is struggling to move the puck around with confidence. I'll give them a break on the 5 on 3 but the plekanec goal was just a piss poor PK strategy/effort.

The poor atlanta PK and Huet's heroics were the key to the win. But in general, I think we are far from being out of the woods yet. There's still improvements to be made. The 1-2-2 is much too porous and the defensive zone coverage is having alot of lapses. Hopefully, the 2 points gained will bring a bit more confidence back into the team leading to better defensive execution.

Its funny how samsonov gets rewarded with a goal in the same game where he displayed some urgency and added effort. I'll have to see more of this from sammy on a consistent basis before I start to get off his back because we have seen this one game mirage before from him.
Wholeheartly agree.

The Habs were lucky the other night. The three games before that, our PP was innefective because the other teams figured out our plays wich was Sourey and his big shot. Since our PP is so simple and dumb, they figured to just not allow Sourey to shoot and it worked for them. Next thing you know we got in a slump.

The Atlanta PK was brutal. And I really think we should change our strategy on the PP.

Old
01-19-2007, 09:23 PM
MathMan

Not so much change the strategy as get things going down low with the thread of the Souray cannon out there.

Just by being there Souray opens up options, like the Markov diagonal pass, Kovalev stickhanding and passing to Koivu in the crease or across to Ryder, that sort of thing.

Besides, the 2nd PP unit is doing pretty well.

Closed Thread