HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
01-03-2014, 11:45 AM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Schenn is a good passer too. He does have decent puck skill, better then someone like Grossmann and better then he gets credit for. The thing holding him back the most is his skating. He can work on that and lose some weight like he did coming into last season. He'll never be an excellent skater but he can improve.
Maybe when you compare him to Grossmann he has decent puck skill, but when you consider the rest of the league, he's well below average.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Schenn is an alright passer as long as he plays within his talent set. The moment he tries to do more than he's capable of, he gets exposed. His skill set is only ever going to be that off a 3-6 stay at home defenseman. He could maybe hit 25-30 points in a good year.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:59 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Schenn is an alright passer as long as he plays within his talent set. The moment he tries to do more than he's capable of, he gets exposed. His skill set is only ever going to be that off a 3-6 stay at home defenseman. He could maybe hit 25-30 points in a good year.
He's hit 22 points twice. I don't think 25-30 is out of the question by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Maybe when you compare him to Grossmann he has decent puck skill, but when you consider the rest of the league, he's well below average.
Well below average? I don't think so.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 06:52 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Well below average? I don't think so.
http://youtu.be/Ny2tYhv7AA4?t=1h39m42s

Old
01-03-2014, 07:01 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I can't open this at work, but you can find a clip of literally anyone looking like crap. If this is a montage, welp, whoops!

01-03-2014, 07:13 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I can't open this at work, but you can find a clip of literally anyone looking like crap. If this is a montage, welp, whoops!
I get that, but every time he has the puck I cringe. Does he have good hands for a hockey player? Sure. Does he have good hands for an NHL defenseman? I certainly don't think so (especially when you consider this guy went top 5 in a very good draft).

Seriously what puts Luke Schenn in the Sean Couturier category of not being able to get criticized around here? What has he done? Are we trying to convince ourselves the trade wasn't as bad as it seems? What is it? I'm not saying he's not an NHL defenseman, but lets be honest here folks.

Old
01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Tbf on Luke... his passing is not bad at all...

Overall turnovers per minute among top 6 since 2012-13 start.

Kimmo 40 in 1844 (1 every 46.06~)
Streit 17 in 689 (1 every 40.31~)
Schenn 43 in 1646 (1 every 38.26~)
Grossmann 41 in 1334 (1 every 32.32~)
Gus 28 in 883 (1 every 31.32~)
Coburn 57 in 1686 (1 every 29.35~)

This year he is actually the least turnover prone Flyer.

I know that is a lot to do with role... but I have never seen much bad about his passing. His footspeed and common sense are the two things that usually get him into trouble.

He has been playing pretty damn ****** overall this year... but he has shown in 3 of his 5 1/2 NHL seasons he can be a pretty good top 4 D man who can eat ~22 mins a night and be a great PKer and match up vs the oppositions best while getting 20-25 points. The other 2 and a half he has been ~ a 5# who plays ~17 mins. If he can be consistently the guy he was last year and his 1st and 3rd in TO, he is a good top 4 D man... he just needs to find that consistency.

Maybe he does not, but he has shown, in the NHL on two teams he can do it. But the inconsistency is infuriating. He also needs a puckmoving, good skater with him to do bring that out of him.

Last edited by Appleyard: 01-03-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 08:25 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I get that, but every time he has the puck I cringe. Does he have good hands for a hockey player? Sure. Does he have good hands for an NHL defenseman? I certainly don't think so (especially when you consider this guy went top 5 in a very good draft).

Seriously what puts Luke Schenn in the Sean Couturier category of not being able to get criticized around here? What has he done? Are we trying to convince ourselves the trade wasn't as bad as it seems? What is it? I'm not saying he's not an NHL defenseman, but lets be honest here folks.
Luke doesn't get criticized?

This has nothing to do with the trade or where he was drafted and it shouldn't. Regardless of what JVR is doing in TOR Schenn doesn't have below avg pick skills. That's all I'm saying.

And as others have said finding a clip or clips of a player doing something stupid or f'ing up doesn't prove anything. Everyone does that.

Old
01-03-2014, 08:32 PM
SuchySays

Luke is Cannon

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 08:45 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Schenn is a good passer too. He does have decent puck skill, better then someone like Grossmann and better then he gets credit for. The thing holding him back the most is his skating. He can work on that and lose some weight like he did coming into last season. He'll never be an excellent skater but he can improve.
Yet, LSchenn is nothing more than a defensive d-man that will more than likely top out as a #4 or more likely a #5/6. If he really had good puck skills then he should be a 2-way d-man, but I certainly don't see that. Maybe I am underestimating him, but I think you, as do some others, are overestimating him.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 08:49 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Yet, LSchenn is nothing more than a defensive d-man that will more than likely top out as a #4 or more likely a #5/6. If he really had good puck skills then he should be a 2-way d-man, but I certainly don't see that. Maybe I am underestimating him, but I think you, as do some others, are overestimating him.
You can have good picks skills and not be an offensive defenseman. He's had two 22 pt seasons so far. Not exactly an offensive powerhouse but he has some skill. Why can there be no middle ground? Plus I already says he has holes in his game preventing him from becoming more.

Old
01-03-2014, 09:00 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
You can have good picks skills and not be an offensive defenseman. He's had two 22 pt seasons so far. Not exactly an offensive powerhouse but he has some skill. Why can there be no middle ground? Plus I already says he has holes in his game preventing him from becoming more.
Yeah, those are 2-way d-men; the kind of d-men I prefer on the Flyers. Their defense and offense are good. They have puck skill that helps their offense. When LSchenn tries to rush the puck like Bobby Orr I can only shake my head. He does have some skill, but not as much as you are saying he does, from my view.

I am done talking about the skills LSchenn has and doesn't have. He is a defensive d-man with limited skills, that is the fact that I have come to terms with. We should just agree to disagree.

Old
01-03-2014, 09:19 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Yeah, those are 2-way d-men; the kind of d-men I prefer on the Flyers. Their defense and offense are good. They have puck skill that helps their offense. When LSchenn tries to rush the puck like Bobby Orr I can only shake my head. He does have some skill, but not as much as you are saying he does, from my view.

I am done talking about the skills LSchenn has and doesn't have. He is a defensive d-man with limited skills, that is the fact that I have come to terms with. We should just agree to disagree.
I just would like to ask you how much skill do you think I'm claiming he has? Cause you said he has skill "but not as much as [I'm] saying he does." I would like to know where exactly the difference of opinion here is.

You said he has a decent shot which I agree with and I said he's a good passer too. I'm not making some outrageous claim here. He's scored 22 pts twice in his career, some said he might be a 25-30pt guy in a good season and again I agree. Tell me exactly how and why I'm over estimating him. Btw you're the one who started this most recent exchange. After a single response your seriously gonna say "I am done"?

Old
01-03-2014, 09:28 PM
EasyMac

One part of his game I am always impressed with is his outlet pass. He actually has a very solid outlet pass, however can occasionally make a bad decision when trying to pass it if he is being pressured.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 06:56 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Btw you're the one who started this most recent exchange. After a single response your seriously gonna say "I am done"?
It has been a few posts now, not just in this thread, but in others as well. Clearly, I started this exchange first. Who quoted who first last page?

Old
01-04-2014, 07:26 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
It has been a few posts now, not just in this thread, but in others as well. Clearly, I started this exchange first. Who quoted who first last page?
Re-read my post, I said this "most recent exchange." That would be you my friend. I quoted you last page, you didn't respond. On this page you responded to one of my comment with someone else, on the same topic. I don't know what's so funny about that.

Btw thanks for ignoring my question and just trying to make me look foolish, unsuccessfully I may add. I think I'm gonna steal that, just saying "I'm done" when you have nothing else to say of any significance on a certain subject.

Edit: I sent this as a PM to you as well so we don't derail the thread further.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 01-04-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old
01-04-2014, 09:32 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Love is tearing us apart

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 09:43 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I had an idea (might be a dumb one)

What would you guys think if the team signed someone like Marc-Andre Bergeron and paired him with Luke? I think Luke and he COULD be a decent pairing since MAB skates well and is a pure offensive Dman. Plus, I don't think it can really get worse in terms of D zone presence than what Meszaros brings.

MAB could be great to have on the PP as well. I know he's under contract with another team and it probably won't happen, just speaking hypothetically.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
I still think Luke can turn it around and find the consistency in his game to be a great #2 or most likely a #3-4 dman. I think next year will be his first great year, and the same with his brother.

Please have patience with Luke and not trade him away like we did with JVR. He's still very young and at the age when many defenders are still developing in the AHL

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:19 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I had an idea (might be a dumb one)

What would you guys think if the team signed someone like Marc-Andre Bergeron and paired him with Luke? I think Luke and he COULD be a decent pairing since MAB skates well and is a pure offensive Dman. Plus, I don't think it can really get worse in terms of D zone presence than what Meszaros brings.

MAB could be great to have on the PP as well. I know he's under contract with another team and it probably won't happen, just speaking hypothetically.
Last time I saw MAB he couldn't skate.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:39 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Admittedly, I don't remember a lot from the last time I saw him play, so I am likely wrong. I just thought his assets were a huge shot and he was fast. I know he's lost defensively.

Old
01-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
One part of his game I am always impressed with is his outlet pass. He actually has a very solid outlet pass, however can occasionally make a bad decision when trying to pass it if he is being pressured.
I think this is why he works well with a partner that can skate. Just having that mobility down low opens up the ice a lot, and when there's a lot of options getting out of the zone, Schenn USUALLY makes a solid decision.

Funf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I'm gonna watch him closely in the game coming up next week. He is an option to take Kimmo's spot next season, and he's playing 25 minutes for MTL. His skating must be decent to play that much.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 01:15 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I'm gonna watch him closely in the game coming up next week. He is an option to take Kimmo's spot next season, and he's playing 25 minutes for MTL. His skating must be decent to play that much.
I thought he was playing in Switzerland?

Old
01-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Curufinwe

Sorry, I was thinking of Andrei Markov.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote