HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Maguire the FAN

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2004, 04:14 PM
  #1
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,465
vCash: 500
Awards:
Pierre Maguire the FAN

Just listened to the interview M&MD did with Pierre Maguire on FAN. For what it's worth, he actually liked the Jagr move, thinks Jagr could do well in NY. At the same time, he said that Sather needs to ride Jagr.

Interesting listen. It's at wfanradio.com.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 04:28 PM
  #2
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
When comparing the Jags move...

on a what-we-gave-up for what-we-got basis, it was a steal. Essentially you got rid of a decent, underperforming player in Carter for an underperforming superstar, who on his worst day is better than Carter. And net to the Rangers, Jagr only costs about $4 million per year (assuming Carter would've been kept for a few more years around $2.8 million).

But, just like with many Sather's deals, it's not so much a deal for what the team needs, but the deal that is available at a particular time. I'll be willing to bet that Jagr fares better in New York than Carter, perhaps even far better. But could Jagr have captured a defensive defenseman that the Rangers sorely need? It's hard to turn down a Jagr, especially for a guy who's been benched as a Ranger, and hasn't showed up much. But again, could there have been a better situation out there for the Rangers? Was another superstar needed? Does Sather have an overall gameplan? Is Kovalev now going to be moved for that defenseman now that Jagr's a competent superstar right winger? Who knows at this point.

Fletch is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 04:44 PM
  #3
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
To an extent, I agree with McGuire. Jagr can do well here. That's not a reason to like the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Does Sather have an overall gameplan?
This is what will prevent Jagr from doing well here, just as it has prevented Kovalev and Carter and Poti and........from doing well here.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 06:01 PM
  #4
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
The problem is that despite this teams offensive weapons, it doesn't have a trigger.

There is no one to stir the drink and play with a passion that drives the team. That is where youth is needed.

Jagr, Kovalev and Nedved can figure skate all night, but that doesnt mean the puck will go in the net.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 08:14 PM
  #5
Burberry Manning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Summit NJ-The Elite
Country: United States
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
I dont want to listen to a guy named Pierre

Burberry Manning is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
  #6
newf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue
I dont want to listen to a guy named Pierre
pierre mquire is the worst commentator in hockey. first of all, he's extremely negative (particularly against the rangers). second, and worse, he NEVER SHUTS UP. he's like joe theisman on speed. its annoying as hell. he was doing a game the other day i was watching with my 5 year old, and my son asked me to turn off the volume because he was sick of listening to him.



he can keep his opinions to himself.



You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

Bob Dylan

newf is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 05:47 PM
  #7
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
i remember listening to him at the draft going on and on and on about Parise. Even the other commentators were getting annoyed.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 05:51 PM
  #8
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,667
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by newf
pierre mquire is the worst commentator in hockey. first of all, he's extremely negative (particularly against the rangers). second, and worse, he NEVER SHUTS UP. he's like joe theisman on speed. its annoying as hell. he was doing a game the other day i was watching with my 5 year old, and my son asked me to turn off the volume because he was sick of listening to him.



he can keep his opinions to himself.



You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

Bob Dylan
I thought commentators were suppost to talk alot, the guy knows hockey alot more then you and me so it would be better for you to listen to him rather then bash him.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 05:54 PM
  #9
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I thought commentators were suppost to talk alot, the guy knows hockey alot more then you and me so it would be better for you to listen to him rather then bash him.
Yeah because all these media guys are never offbase or clueless on particular matters Right Jason???

I suppose you take Larry Brooks word as Gospel judging from your stances.

JR#9* is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 05:59 PM
  #10
newf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
there's a difference between talking and being informative

he may know hockey, but there's nothing wrong with letting a few milliseconds go by without commenting.






Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Yeah because all these media guys are never offbase or clueless on particular matters Right Jason???

I suppose you take Larry Brooks word as Gospel judging from your stances.


Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-27-2004 at 06:10 PM.
newf is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 07:20 PM
  #11
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,667
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Yeah because all these media guys are never offbase or clueless on particular matters Right Jason???

I suppose you take Larry Brooks word as Gospel judging from your stances.
What the hell has brooks ever done in hockey. McGuire was the coach for Ottawa and Hartford, he understands the game. Trying to compare McGuire and Brooks just made you look pretty stupid.


Last edited by Jason MacIsaac: 01-27-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 07:42 PM
  #12
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
What the hell has brooks ever done in hockey. McGuire was the coach for Ottawa and Hartford, he understands the game. Trying to compare McGuire and Brooks just made you look pretty stupid.
And Brooks worked within your beloved Devils front office for a number of years.

And just because he was a coach doesn't mean jack.Look at Melrose.He says some of the stupidest **** I've ever heard and he took his team to the Finals.

Now go back to the main boards to keep posting your homer Devils posts.

JR#9* is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 08:19 PM
  #13
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,950
vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire is the best commentator in hockey... and far more knowledgeable than any other I've heard. It seems to me that people only hate him because he gets excited often. Oh no! A colour man getting excited?? What has the world come to??

dem is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 08:26 PM
  #14
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I thought commentators were suppost to talk alot, the guy knows hockey alot more then you and me so it would be better for you to listen to him rather then bash him.
this guy was the clueless coach of the whale, nicknamed "pollyanna pete" by the local media-he was fired after one season and never given a sniff again. he was embarrasingly cocky as coach of the whale-he thought he "outcoached" bowman one night....classic. he spoke against his own players when hired as an arbitrator in a free agent case. those who cant do....get on tv and act like they did.

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
01-28-2004, 12:22 AM
  #15
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,667
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
And Brooks worked within your beloved Devils front office for a number of years.

And just because he was a coach doesn't mean jack.Look at Melrose.He says some of the stupidest **** I've ever heard and he took his team to the Finals.

Now go back to the main boards to keep posting your homer Devils posts.
Yes, look what Brooks done for the devils, wasn't that during Mickey Mouse days? Weither you like it or not McGuire is a smart hockey man, he didn't coach the best teams in the world.


Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-28-2004 at 03:37 AM.
Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
01-28-2004, 12:24 AM
  #16
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,667
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
this guy was the clueless coach of the whale, nicknamed "pollyanna pete" by the local media-he was fired after one season and never given a sniff again. he was embarrasingly cocky as coach of the whale-he thought he "outcoached" bowman one night....classic. he spoke against his own players when hired as an arbitrator in a free agent case. those who cant do....get on tv and act like they did.
Hartford fans or media have a team anymore?

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.