HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Toughness II

Old
01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
That would make me very happy! Whatever it is, to deny this team doesn't need toughness now in my mind is pretty silly. We're getting slapped around in every building. Hard to watch.
Nothing worse than getting your ass kicked on the scoreboard and on the ice at the same time IMO. This **** goes hand in hand. Teams know when you've got no one that will make you pay for taking liberties with them. Dorsett--gives what he's got but next to Zuccarello he might be the smallest player on the team. Nobody's afraid of him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:46 AM
TomLaidlaw

Whatever your definition of toughness is....fighting, hitting, battling in dirty areas, sticking up for each, determination, pride etc etc etc. Outside of a couple of guys this team as a whole clearly lacks it. It may be one of the softest Ranger teams mentally and physically I have seen.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Whatever your definition of toughness is....fighting, hitting, battling in dirty areas, sticking up for each, determination, pride etc etc etc. Outside of a couple of guys this team as a whole clearly lacks it. It may be one of the softest Ranger teams mentally and physically I have seen.
Thats the key. Its a mental issue too. Bringing in a side of beef on skates isn't going to change that.

The writing was on the wall with how Tortorella was dispatched -- this team was begging for a license to be softer.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:09 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats the key. Its a mental issue too. Bringing in a side of beef on skates isn't going to change that.

The writing was on the wall with how Tortorella was dispatched -- this team was begging for a license to be softer.
Which is what is so troubling. The players should never be allowed to decide what type of coach they need. It all goes back to the same guy. Sather would never admit that he didn't compile the players necessary to compete for a cup so it must be the coach's fault.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Since this is a lost season...some Ufa's to look @:

Kevin Westgarth
Brandon Bolig
Ryan Garbutt
Trevor Lewis
Matt Greene - 3 years the most
Colin Fraser
Clayton Stoner - great name
Mark Fayne
Matt Kassian
Steve Downie
Paul Bissonnette
Derek Engellannd
Joe Vitale
Mike Brown
Ryan Reaves
Dave Bolland
Mark Frasor
Chris Thorburn

But since AV is in charge and Sather refuses to die we will get Stepane Robidas and Vern Fiddler instead.

Ryan Reaves should be the target now and sign him .. monster hitter good on puck pursuit and great fighter.. he would add a element we lack

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Ryan Reaves should be the target now and sign him .. monster hitter good on puck pursuit and great fighter.. he would add a element we lack
He's a great choice. As is Engylland, whose shown he can be a very solid RW in addition to playing D. Has connections with McIlrath from Moose Jaw too, and would make a good mentor.

Vitale adds shot blocking and a good RH draw on the 4th line, allowing Step to be an O zone player.

Also like Thorburn as an option. PK, Shot blocker, and is a great character guy.

Garbutt is a guy that brings speed in addition to what's sore lacking on this team.

But I think this is all wishful thinking as long as AV is the coach. His teams will get pushed around, just like it was in Vancouver, we are seeing it here that he isn't a guy that is a fan of confrontation or pushing back physically.

I'm expecting a headshot or two, possibly an injury tonight against Carlyle's Goon Squad (CGS) tonight, and the skill players to disappear in tonight's game once the game get's rough. Been tough watching this crap this season, but hey, it is what it is, and this is what is expected.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
He's a great choice. As is Engylland, whose shown he can be a very solid RW in addition to playing D. Has connections with McIlrath from Moose Jaw too, and would make a good mentor.

Vitale adds shot blocking and a good RH draw on the 4th line, allowing Step to be an O zone player.

Also like Thorburn as an option. PK, Shot blocker, and is a great character guy.

Garbutt is a guy that brings speed in addition to what's sore lacking on this team.

But I think this is all wishful thinking as long as AV is the coach. His teams will get pushed around, just like it was in Vancouver, we are seeing it here that he isn't a guy that is a fan of confrontation or pushing back physically.

I'm expecting a headshot or two, possibly an injury tonight against Carlyle's Goon Squad (CGS) tonight, and the skill players to disappear in tonight's game once the game get's rough. Been tough watching this crap this season, but hey, it is what it is, and this is what is expected.
im just glad that with AV as coach this team didnt turn into a bunch of divers like the Canucks have had the past few years.. especially with a guy like Burrows running around...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
NYR Viper

I like Reaves as well. Would fit a role on this team and is still young.

They need to find more sandpaper for their top 9 though and on defense. Too soft.

I'd take a flier on Matt Greene witha shirt term contract. If he plays 50 games a year that's a nice upgrade if he isn't too expensive

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I'd take a flier on Matt Greene witha shirt term contract.
This made me laugh really hard and I don't know why.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 12:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
This made me laugh really hard and I don't know why.

Posting from an iPhone

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 12:06 PM
slipknottin

I would be surprised if the blues let reaves walk. He is exceptionally valuable to them

Dorsett is a useful player, but he's much better when he has some reinforcements behind him. Reaves + Mcilrath on the team and the rangers are far more intimidating and dorsett can go back to being an agitator and not having to be the only guy to stand up to everyone

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Dagoon44

STARTING The trade for Ryan Reaves campaign right now..

Old
01-04-2014, 01:27 PM
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor

vCash: 50
Quote:
That will help the scoring

NYR2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
How about stressing a team identity of standing up for your teammates. How about getting rid of some of these soft players who can't hit and can't drop the gloves.
We would have to get about 15 new guys to accomplish that feat .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
St. Louis may trade him too, because they are a good hockey team so he doesn't really fit in.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Both the US and Canadian Women Olympic teams are tougher than the current Ranger team . At least a few of them will drop the gloves . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1jbnI-xvvc

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2047 View Post
That will help the scoring
Yea maybe it will..Size and muscle opens up ice and makes people play bigger. Say what you want about Sather he got Nash ,Kreider Stepan Zucc and richards and so on to score but forgot about muscle.. Don't be negative for no reason think outside the type cast

Old
01-04-2014, 04:30 PM
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor

Quote:
Yea maybe it will..Size and muscle opens up ice and makes people play bigger. Say what you want about Sather he got Nash ,Kreider Stepan Zucc and richards and so on to score but forgot about muscle.. Don't be negative for no reason think outside the type cast
I'm gonna have to disagree with you based on the fact that if say you get size and grit who can't put the puck in the net... Teams are still gonna target the shooters to shut them down. An example would be the 2011 team no one said oh gotta watch Prust it was all about Gaborik and he wasn't tough

Old
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2047 View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree with you based on the fact that if say you get size and grit who can't put the puck in the net... Teams are still gonna target the shooters to shut them down. An example would be the 2011 team no one said oh gotta watch Prust it was all about Gaborik and he wasn't tough
Not going to argue but you have no idea on how to construct a hockey team.. you need different elements not one standard mold

Old
01-04-2014, 05:13 PM
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor

Quote:
Not going to argue but you have no idea on how to construct a hockey team.. you need different elements not one standard mold
I never said that they should have one mold I just think there are more pressing issues than toughness... And about my lack of ideas on building a team, neither do you or you would be in a front office somewhere.

Also that's a pretty immature comeback. I thought we were supposed to discuss things here but guess I'm just wrong maybe you can teach me the ways...

Old
01-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Dagoon44

You have 11 out of 12 forwards that aren't tough.. what more do you want? We dressed one guy that fought and he is now hurt..
Are forward aren't lighting it up i see that but they are know for more offense then grit..

Old
01-04-2014, 05:17 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
That would be sick

But St. Louis would be dum to move him, he's a big (pun intended) part of their 4th line

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that neither you nor NYR2047 have constructed a winning NHL team.

Old
01-04-2014, 05:53 PM
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that neither you nor NYR2047 have constructed a winning NHL team.
I haven't I'll admit that but looking at AVs teams best years 2011 Canucks weren't full of fighters were there tough guys yes but they also could score goals that's what I am in favor of bringing to this team not people who are just gritty

Old
01-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Tell me what you have done in sports again?