HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst critical game by a goalie?

View Poll Results: Worst critical game by a goalie
Mike Liut 1981 8 13.79%
Gerry Cheevers 1979 2 3.45%
Evgeni Nabokov 2010 4 6.90%
Patrick Roy 2002 25 43.10%
Curtis Joseph 1993 1 1.72%
Patrick Lalime 2004 10 17.24%
Tom Barrasso 1993 3 5.17%
Ken Dryden 1972 0 0%
other 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
  #76
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?
 
Doctor No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24,354
vCash: 500
Is anyone saying that Roy didn't play badly? I sure as hell didn't.

That's why it's a strawman. If you can't (or won't) answer my question, it's not because I have an agenda against the poster in question.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
  #77
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman View Post
Is anyone saying that Roy didn't play badly? I sure as hell didn't.

That's why it's a strawman. If you can't (or won't) answer my question, it's not because I have an agenda against the poster in question.
I'll be honest. It seems you do have an agenda here because there was no strawman in his post what so ever. He responded to R71, who stated;

Quote:
Now, if the poll was changed to game 6 of that series, I might even change my vote but not for game 7. Roy was hung out to dry when the Av's didn't show up for it.
He responded that;

Quote:
I can possibly agree to this except for the fact that Aebischer performed much better than Roy in game 7. Roy was horrible in game 7...
There is no strawman in his response.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:41 PM
  #78
danincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
So has this just turned into a Roy apologist thread?
Big Time.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:45 PM
  #79
Stonewall
Registered User
 
Stonewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Roman Turek in 2000 is up there

Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 04:59 PM
  #80
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,493
vCash: 500
Hextall was putrid in Games 5 and 6 in Adams 1993 semis after being brilliant in Games 1-4

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:57 PM
  #81
aemoreira1981
Registered User
 
aemoreira1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
I picked Patrick Roy. The infamous Statue of Liberty play deflated the team completely.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 10:52 PM
  #82
Sadekuuro
Registered User
 
Sadekuuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Not the 01/02 season.
The Av's lose Bourque to retirement.
The Wing's on the other hand, bolster their already talent laced roster with Hasek, Hull, Lucky Luc and a rookie Datsyuk without giving up a thing.
For the sake of accuracy, the Wings traded Slava Kozlov and a 1st for Hasek.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 01:40 PM
  #83
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 18,536
vCash: 500
Cheevers cost the Bruins a few Stanley Cups by choking year after year.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 02:37 PM
  #84
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?
 
Doctor No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 24,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Cheevers cost the Bruins a few Stanley Cups by choking year after year.
It's really only the 1977 and 1980 playoffs where his save percentage was more than a standard deviation worse than average:

http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/cheevers.html

Do you have specific games in mind?

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 04:16 PM
  #85
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 2,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Or the year before when he had a shot form centre ice go in on him against Detroit. I think the Canucks were up 2games to 1? He had that go in and crapped the bed for the rest of the series
Cloutier, in that Wild series, put on the shakiest display of goaltending I think I've ever seen. You could even see that the Canuck players didn't trust him. They were unable/unwilling to push the offence because they all had to be ready bail out and get back to their end in order to stop the Wild from getting even one shot on goal... because Cloutier would let it in, or give up such a juicy rebound that the second shot would score. Horrible hockey to watch.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:08 AM
  #86
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,047
vCash: 500


#1, 4, and 6 are especially bad. Notice how Makarov scores his goal (#5) after being highsticked in the face.

Sentinel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:40 AM
  #87
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Cheevers cost the Bruins a few Stanley Cups by choking year after year.
Hmmm, you'll have to elaborate on that one. Cheevers won the Cup in 1970 and 1972. Played brilliantly then. 1971 Ed Johnston was in net when the Bruins collapsed in Game 2 coughing up a 5-1 lead for an eventual 7-5 loss. I'll admit that was a horrible game and I am surprised no one has mentioned it yet. However, even Bobby Orr played bad in that game during the comeback.

As for Cheevers costing the Bruins the Cup I just can't see where it is. 1977, 1978 and 1979 were all against Montreal. You aren't beating that team regardless. Gilles Gilbert was the goalie in Game 7 in 1979, not Cheevers. I'm not sure he "cost" the Bruins anything. They were going up against the best dynasty there ever was.

Cheevers was terrible in Game 3 of the Challenge Cup (my pick on this poll personally) against the Russians though.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:42 PM
  #88
nWo
New World Order
 
nWo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In my house
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Cloutier, in that Wild series, put on the shakiest display of goaltending I think I've ever seen. You could even see that the Canuck players didn't trust him. They were unable/unwilling to push the offence because they all had to be ready bail out and get back to their end in order to stop the Wild from getting even one shot on goal... because Cloutier would let it in, or give up such a juicy rebound that the second shot would score. Horrible hockey to watch.
It's one think to lose a playoffs serie to the Wild but by a score of 7-1, 5-1 and 4-2?

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:50 PM
  #89
KennethTheGreat
Registered User
 
KennethTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Would the Jon Casey/Brian Hayward combo in game 6 1991 SCF count? The North Stars were blown out 8-0 by the Pens after going the entire playoff with the goaltending being its bread and butter after the PP.

Not really big names as compared to the others on the list and I know people look back at it as a team just coming back down to earth against a juggernaut so I wouldn't expect everyone to rank it right up there, but it was a meltdown nonetheless.
I would vote for the Nabokov follies in this poll, but that year that you mentioned (1991) brings to mind the game the most sickening game I've seen in over 30 years of watching the Hawks. Game 5 of the preliminary round on Stadium ice against a team (Minnesota) which finished 38 points behind in the regular season, and Ed Belfour (with a cameo appearance by Dominik Hasek) and the Hawks get rocked 6-0. There were more issues that just goaltending which led to that team's demise that year, of course, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

KennethTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.