HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Backups that should have been starters

Old
12-13-2013, 11:58 AM
DrJenniferHanson
Cursed By A Gypsy

vCash: 500
One year wonder alert, but Bannerman/Skorodenski in the 80's.

DrJenniferHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You could make an argument on either side of the Gump Worsley/Rogie Vachon tandem in the late 1960s. But I guess the Habs did well either way.

1979 with the Bruins, I know Cheevers was normally not stellar against the Habs but they probably should have stuck with either him or Gilbert for good in that series rather than flip flopping them. Although if I were in Cherry's shoes then who knows.

Also, I have no idea why Hextall was sitting on the bench for most of the 1997 playoffs while Garth Snow played a much bigger role.
Because Hextall werent that great in 97...

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Strong Island

This one doesn't completely fit my criteria but I thought I would mention it anyway. Calgary's goaltending in 99-00 was certainly interesting. They had a league average Fred Brathwaite with a .905 sv% making 57 starts primarily paired with an impossibly bad, washed up Grant Fuhr (making $3 Million!!!) who got 20 starts. Fuhr put up a .856 sv% (nearly 50 points below Brathwaite!) and somehow managed to go 5-13-2.

That team ended up with 77 points. I think it's certainly fair to say that if they gave that JS Giguere kid the backup duties the Flames certainly could have challenged for the last few playoff spots in the west that year.

Does anyone remember watching Fuhr that season?

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 02:36 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
How about Richter and Vanbiesbrouck for the Rangers back in the late 80's and early 90's or where they Co #1's?
This is very intriguing case. When comparing Beezer and Richter head to head, often Richter wins by a slight margin with argument like Rangers and USA chose him and both of them didn't regret the decision. But would it be worse if we swap them? Didn't Rangers win in 1994 with Beezer in goal? Didn't USA win in 1996 with Beezer?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Island View Post
This one doesn't completely fit my criteria but I thought I would mention it anyway. Calgary's goaltending in 99-00 was certainly interesting. They had a league average Fred Brathwaite with a .905 sv% making 57 starts primarily paired with an impossibly bad, washed up Grant Fuhr (making $3 Million!!!) who got 20 starts. Fuhr put up a .856 sv% (nearly 50 points below Brathwaite!) and somehow managed to go 5-13-2.

That team ended up with 77 points. I think it's certainly fair to say that if they gave that JS Giguere kid the backup duties the Flames certainly could have challenged for the last few playoff spots in the west that year.

Does anyone remember watching Fuhr that season?
Fuhr was ghastly. I remember an early season game on HNIC, Flames vs Avalanche. Calgary territorially dominated the Avs yet ended up getting shelled 7-1 or something like that after Fuhr let in every one of the few pucks thrown his way that night.

He announced his retirement prior to the last game of the season, which happened to be against the Oilers. A bunch of Oiler fans went down to the game, and were disgusted to see that Calgary had Fuhr on the bench. But then they put Fuhr in for the third period, with the coach coming out after the game and saying he didn't want Fuhr to end up getting embarrassed in his final game, which made sense.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:05 PM
KennethTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by feffan View Post
Everybody knew Hasek would become a starter, but of course (as you say) no one knew just how good he would become.
For once that is a situation after 1990 or so I can take Keenan in defence. He tried to aquire Lindros that summer for a package of Belfour and (rumoured) Steve Larmer and Steve Smith. When Quebec also wanted 5 million dollars Wirtz said no. Money he would have gotten back quick from merchandise...
Lindros, Roenick, Hasek, Chelios... That´s something to build on all right... And Quebec would have gotten their starter alot sooner...

Therefore Keenan parted with Hasek to Buffalo, who had wanted to trade for him for half a year at least. And part of the trade was Keenan not wanting to lose one of Hasek, Belfour or a highly drafted Jimmy Waite for nothing in the expansion draft. If they only found a trade for Waite instead... Or a trade for Belfour, who would have gotten a lot more back - even if not Lindros.
ARHG! Even when Keenan was on his way to do it right, he messed up...

It's interesting, teams were allowed to protect two goaltenders in the 1992 expansion draft (Tampa Bay and Ottawa got the shaft), but would only be allowed to protect one in the 1993 draft. So, given Belfour's eminence in Chicago and in the league at the time, even if Hasek had been protected in 1992, barring somehow replacing Belfour and getting in a lot of superb playing time in 1992-93, he would likely have been lost in 1993. I think that fact helps partially explain why Keenan received such a pittance in return for Hasek - 1.) teams knew that he would be exposed to the draft in 1993 and weren't incented to bid him up because 2.) Hasek's general upside was still quite an unknown at the time of the deal. The Sabres had a pedestrian goaltening corps at the time (Puppa, Draper, Malarchuk - Fuhr would be traded for in the 1992-93 season) and were a logical candidate to take a chance on him.
Jimmy Waite had been in the Hawks organization for several undistinguished seasons at that point and I think it doubtful that an expansion GM would be hot to draft him.
So, yes, it's all a little strange the way it all played out.

KennethTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote