HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pavel Buchnevich

Old
08-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Pavel Buchnevich

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2013/6/1...ospect-profile

i hope he pans out.. maybe he ends up being the other goal scorer Rangers lacked..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:19 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

i never liked how guys get compared to their peers. the article compared him to Yakupov, Grigorenko and other YOUNG guys who are still finding their game. i would have been more confident in a comparison to Fedorov, Malkin, Zherdev, etc....

all that said, it seems too risky 1) size, 2) KHL factor and 3) work ethic. sounds like another kid who would bolt back home to Russia where lazy play is accepted once coaches here in NA start to put the pressure on.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:25 PM
bernmeister

Here's what's key to me:

Quote:
The 18-year-old left wing comes in at 6'1" and 161 lbs. ...

Along with needing to bulk up his smaller frame, Buchnevich also needs to work on certain aspects of his game. His coach in the KHL notes his need to work on his off ice training. While he is always eager to get on the ice, he doesn't show that same desire when training. It has also been noted that he needs to work on the defensive aspects of his game. While he has great vision and playmaking ability, he can be a liability on defense at times.

On the plus side, Buchnevich has the potential to be a very special player. He has an extremely impressive skill set. He was considered to be the best player on his team in the MHL and was part of the second Russian team to ever win the World U17 Hockey Challenge in Canada - ....
he is a speedy winger with great skating ability, natural talent, and is smart on the ice. ...

6'1" may not be oversized, but it is not undersized.
He's speedy to begin with.
We just have to be careful about making sure as we add to his frame he does not get out of shape.

Thankfully, not too concerned about the skills.

Maturity, ok and work ethic, particularly on D, agree this is a problem, but maybe now only with the brass ring or gold or whatever just coming into sight, only now is he gonna buckle down and put himself thru the rigors of serious training.

That's what this guy has to understand.
The faster he demonstrates he's worthy, the faster he gets his chance, the faster he does that, the faster he makes $$$.

Yeah, he can do KHL money, but gotta think if you first prove yourself at NHL you make more later in any other league.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 06:59 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

imo, hes the best pure offensive prospect in our system.

buchnevich has a tremendous shot. his shooting is perhaps his best asset. hes is a pure sniper with the ability to beat nhl netminders right now.

he has all the shots. snap, wrist and very heavy slapper. he shows great timing and the ability to move his body in opposite direction and one time with power. he can pick corners and shows high ability to shoot off stride. his deek moves are natural and intuitive and his ability to shoot it at full speed is top notch.

he can get pucks on net with speed and accuracy. something this organization is sorely lacking since we moved thomas.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:54 PM
BlessThisMess513

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

buchnevich has a tremendous shot. his shooting is perhaps his best asset. hes is a pure sniper with the ability to beat nhl netminders right now.

he has all the shots. snap, wrist and very heavy slapper. he shows great timing and the ability to move his body in opposite direction and one time with power. he can pick corners and shows high ability to shoot off stride. his deek moves are natural and intuitive and his ability to shoot it at full speed is top notch.

he can get pucks on net with speed and accuracy. something this organization is sorely lacking since we moved thomas.
Better than St. Croix?

BlessThisMess513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
Better than St. Croix?
Offensive potential wise? Hell yea.

But the odds of reaching that potential arent very high. But than again they arent very high for St Croix either at an NHL level.

IF, big big big IF, Buchnevich reaches his highest potential, he is a 1st liner in the NHL. IF (again big IFs) St Croix reaches his full potential, he is a good 2nd liner.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Crease

Maybe I'm jaded by the years but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this organization to develop a player with elite offensive ability. Whether it's Buchnevich, St. Croix, Kreider, whoever.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Maybe I'm jaded by the years but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this organization to develop a player with elite offensive ability. Whether it's Buchnevich, St. Croix, Kreider, whoever.
Agree with you there.

BUT ugh, Cherepanov (RIP) he would have been the one.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:37 PM
end2endrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Agree with you there.

BUT ugh, Cherepanov (RIP) he would have been the one.

Agreed. He had it. Way too tragic. Can't dwell on it but damn..he had it. RIP

end2endrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 03:24 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

I know that you love your Russians. Would you feel the same way if his name was Todd Smith from Arizona? I'm actually pretty hopeful about him, but how many times could you have seen him play to make that statement?

Edit: I'm not trying to be overly critical of you personally. We've all had our ups, and downs (My future first line center Frolik). I just remember you banging the Lisin/Koko drums for a long while.

Last edited by Barnaby: 08-17-2013 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Addition
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Slay

Assist:

Goal at 0:27

Assist at 2:26:

Slay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Slay

1+1 against Dynamo Moscow in a 5-2 loss

goal at 1:45, assist is right after

Old
08-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
1+1 against Dynamo Moscow in a 5-2 loss

goal at 1:45, assist is right after
so you'd say he's having a pretty good start to the year?

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
so you'd say he's having a pretty good start to the year?
It is preseason so far but he does pretty well stats wise. We'll see if he stays with Antipov, if he will he might have pretty good year.

Old
08-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
It is preseason so far but he does pretty well stats wise. We'll see if he stays with Antipov, if he will he might have pretty good year.

Thanks for the update

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:05 AM
jniklast

Quote:

It would be too great if he could turn into a 60 glass player

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 10:34 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
It would be too great if he could turn into a 60 glass player
Yes, with many highly regarded transmissions in addition

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:23 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Just watched the replay of Sweden/Russia WJC. Wild game, especially at the end. I was pretty impressed with Buchnevich. He was on the top line, made some nice plays. Not physical but skilled.

Last edited by RGY: 01-04-2014 at 05:49 PM.
RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Just watched the replay of Sweden/Russia WJC. Wild game, especially at the end. I was pretty impressed with Buchnevich. He was on the type line, made some nice plays. Not physical but skilled.
That's what I thought. He fought along the boards, drove to the net, didn't seem weak or hesitant physically at all. He looks big and fast. At 6-2 176 pounds, he's not small, in fact, he's bigger than most hockey players. In the next couple of years, he'll probably get himself to 200 pounds. His defense wasn't phenomenal, but not terrible either. He looked like a good prospect in this game and throughout the tournament.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:18 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

What are the odds of him coming over when his KHL contract is over?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:11 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post

If he thinks he can be a top-6 player, he'll play here. If he thinks he'll be the next Marcel Hossa, being a good player in the KHL makes more sense.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 04:10 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Just watched the replay of Sweden/Russia WJC. Wild game, especially at the end. I was pretty impressed with Buchnevich. He was on the top line, made some nice plays. Not physical but skilled.
He got better as the tournament progressed. Was Russia's best player late in the game when they were chasing Sweden. He went into traffic several times and had like 4-5 chances.

He was pretty good defensively and fought hard for the puck. Big flaw is intensity away from the puck and -- in a sense -- mentality. If he literary is hurt (not injured), he can stop playing and skate slowly to the bench. If he is on a PP and it struggles, you can see his intensity go below 0 (along with a few others on that team) and they start complaining on each others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
all that said, it seems too risky [...] 2) KHL factor and 3) work ethic. sounds like another kid who would bolt back home to Russia where lazy play is accepted once coaches here in NA start to put the pressure on.
This is the probable scenario for sure for Buch. Let's be honest here. But I still like the pick, because if he comes to NA and really adopts, we got a top 6 forward on our hands. And you know, possibly even something better than that.

I know that Graves does a great job with a bunch of our kids. I would really hope that Graves could get through to a kid like Buch too. So much will come down to how Buch applies himself going forward.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 04:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I don't know, but you know, he came to our Rookie camp etc. He was at the draft, right?

He gotta be interested at least. I mean, basically all the better young Russian's comes to the NHL. I can't on a straight arm come up with one single example of a higher pick never coming over (not counting the players that the jury is still out on). Many have returned lately though.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:05 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
That's what I thought. He fought along the boards, drove to the net, didn't seem weak or hesitant physically at all. He looks big and fast. At 6-2 176 pounds, he's not small, in fact, he's bigger than most hockey players. In the next couple of years, he'll probably get himself to 200 pounds. His defense wasn't phenomenal, but not terrible either. He looked like a good prospect in this game and throughout the tournament.
Agree 100% with this. He wasn't throwing his weight around in what was a very physical game but he didn't shy away from the dirty areas. He even got dumped a couple of times to make a play. One thing that stood out was he was very shifty behind the net when he was facing the boards with the puck. Reminded a lot of what Hagelin and Kreider do (Dom Moore does it too); he used a lot of head fakes and stutter steps to change direction to avoid hits and create some separation to make plays. That I liked a lot in a physical game.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't know, but you know, he came to our Rookie camp etc. He was at the draft, right?\
He was at the draft, but not at training camp, because the KHL season had already started