HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "All Things NYC" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2014, 06:51 PM
AirShark

vCash: 500
Hi everyone, my Cousin and I take a road trip or two with our San Jose Sharks each year with the goal of seeing them play in every NHL venue before we croak

This is a pretty huge thread, so here's my particular question.

We're coming in March, but we're coming to see the Sharks play the Rangers AND the Islanders.

Here's the trip:
Thurs 3/13: Flying from SFO to New York
Friday 3/14: Sharks at Islanders
Satur 3/15: Free Day
Sunday 3/16: Sharks at Rangers
Monday 3/17: Fly home

Is it a huge pain in the ass to stay at one hotel and get transportation to each venue? I don't think we're renting a car because we hear it can be a nightmare and it's pretty expensive.

Does it matter what area we stay in?

I'm sure we'll do some touristy stuff as I've never been to your area before. I'll get to skimming the huge amount of posts in this thread, but any friendly recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Bryan

Old
01-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShark View Post
Hi everyone, my Cousin and I take a road trip or two with our San Jose Sharks each year with the goal of seeing them play in every NHL venue before we croak

We're coming in March, but we're coming to see the Sharks play the Rangers AND the Islanders.

Here's the trip:

Is it a huge pain in the ass to stay at one hotel and get transportation to each venue? I don't think we're renting a car because we hear it can be a nightmare and it's pretty expensive.

I'm sure we'll do some touristy stuff as I've never been to your area before. I'll get to skimming the huge amount of posts in this thread, but any friendly recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Bryan
From what you have said I think the hardest part will be getting out to see the Islanders because you need a car to get there. Maybe someone else on here knows of an easy inexpensive way to get from Manhattan to the Nassau Coliseum. I would definitely stay in Manhattan just for the fact that you are only here for a few days. Enjoy your trip!

Old
01-04-2014, 07:02 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
From what you have said I think the hardest part will be getting out to see the Islanders because you need a car to get there. Maybe someone else on here knows of an easy inexpensive way to get from Manhattan to the Nassau Coliseum. I would definitely stay in Manhattan just for the fact that you are only here for a few days. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks Giacomin, we could always rent a car for a day. I just can't see paying for a rental for 4-5 days in NYC plus parking. The prices are pretty high and from my friends that have spent some time there, they say you don't need one.

I assume taking public transit and cabs is the way to go

Old
01-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 600
Quote:
Thanks Giacomin, we could always rent a car for a day. I just can't see paying for a rental for 4-5 days in NYC plus parking. The prices are pretty high and from my friends that have spent some time there, they say you don't need one.

Screw cabs. Public transportation runs 24/7 and could get you within 10 minutes walking distance of virtually every place you want to go in NYC for only $2.50 each way. Only take a cab if you are drunk late at night and want a random drunk conversation with the driver.

01-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

To get to Nassau from Manhattan you can take the LIRR to Westbury or Hempstead and then like a 10 minute cab ride for there. If money isn't too much of an issue it'd be much better for you to stay in Manhattan, considering you're only here for a short time.

Old
01-04-2014, 08:17 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:

rent a zip car the day of the islander game. you can pickup/drop off in the city (manhattan). im sure you can find a hotel if you havent book yet that isnt too far from one of their locations.

http://www.zipcar.com/

Old
01-04-2014, 10:44 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
rent a zip car the day of the islander game. you can pickup/drop off in the city (manhattan). im sure you can find a hotel if you havent book yet that isnt too far from one of their locations.

http://www.zipcar.com/
Can you sign up and rent a zipcar the same day? Or do I have to sign up prior, get a zipcard and all that in advance?

Old
01-04-2014, 10:53 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Can you sign up and rent a zipcar the same day? Or do I have to sign up prior, get a zipcard and all that in advance?
I think you need to sign up in advance. I also think that there's a $75 annual fee that you'd need to pay, so factor that in if this is the only time you're planning on using it in 2014.

If you've got a car at home and no need for zipcar at other points throughout the year, then your better bet is to go with LIRR and a cab to/from the station on the Nassau side.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:31 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I think you need to sign up in advance. I also think that there's a $75 annual fee that you'd need to pay, so factor that in if this is the only time you're planning on using it in 2014.

If you've got a car at home and no need for zipcar at other points throughout the year, then your better bet is to go with LIRR and a cab to/from the station on the Nassau side.
Good point. I live in a pretty rural part of CA (Hollister) and have a few cars. Anyone ever used one of the ridesharing services like Lyft, Sidecar or Uber?

Old
01-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Giacomin

I asked a few friends and they recommend taking the LIRR to Westbury or Hempstead then taking a cab. The trains should run about every hour going back into the city after the game.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:33 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
I asked a few friends and they recommend taking the LIRR to Hicksville then taking a cab.
Awesome! I shall begin familiarizing myself with the transportation methods of your people at once.

Public transit sucks here in CA, btw. Everyone just has cars unless they live up in San Francisco.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Awesome! I shall begin familiarizing myself with the transportation methods of your people at once.

Public transit sucks here in CA, btw. Everyone just has cars unless they live up in San Francisco.
Don't worry. Every subway station has the look and feel of some 70's murder crime scene. But it's usually fine.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:55 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

had no clue about that fee for zip car.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:57 PM
AirShark

Quote:
I looked at it for the cheapest plan

$60/yr
$25 one time app fee
$9.75hr mon-thurs
$14+/hr on the weekend

Old
01-05-2014, 12:03 AM
AirShark

Quote:

$60/yr
$25 one time app fee
$9.75hr mon-thurs
$14+/hr on the weekend

Old
01-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Giacomin

Quote:

$60/yr
$25 one time app fee
$9.75hr mon-thurs
$14+/hr on the weekend
Go the LIRR then cab the rest of the way. It will be easier

Old
01-07-2014, 06:57 AM
ADifferentTim
Dream Fighter

I'm aiming to transfer to Fordham University as an academic priority, with the intention of watching some Yankee games and visiting The Bronx Zoo.

Seeing how Fordham is in The Bronx, is it okay to refer to Fordham Univeristy as "FU"? I even saw this nifty university pin, via Amazon.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:47 AM
YetAnotherNorwegian

Oh, hai.

So, my future wife and I are spending one week of our honeymoon in your modestly sized village this summer before heading south to Bahamas. I was wondering if you guys could give some pointers on great places to eat that you otherwise often wouldn't know about if you weren't a local. Both restaurants, diners and delis will be appreciated.

I've already written down Katz's deli. Those cold cuts looks like the bomb.

We will probably be in the "touristy" parts of Manhattan, but if somewhere in Brooklyn has some legendary bacon burgers worthy of a subway ride, don't be shy to holla

Thanks in advance!

Old
01-07-2014, 09:49 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:

Here's the trip:

-Bryan
if you're coming solely for the purpose of going to the games, it really makes no difference where you stay. AirBnB is great too!

Old
01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherNorwegian View Post
I've already written down Katz's deli. Those cold cuts looks like the bomb.
Sure, if you don't mind paying $15-$20 for one sandwich

Old
01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
YetAnotherNorwegian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
That's actually almost quite cheap if you are having lunch at a café or a deli here in Norway Especially for the amount of food you seem to get in one of those sandwiches. But thanks for the heads up

Old
01-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I'm genuinely curious, what other places do Katz's style sandwiches for less money?

I'm a bit obsessive with italian delis and specialties so I have a few go-to's for that kind of sandwich (Faicco's, Defonte's, Sergimmo's, Ferdinando's) - but for a pastrami sandwich or a corned beef sandwich, Katz's is always my go to. Would love to find a place that made sandwiches of a similar quality for half the price.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:02 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Valuating View Post
I'm genuinely curious, what other places do Katz's style sandwiches for less money?

I'm a bit obsessive with italian delis and specialties so I have a few go-to's for that kind of sandwich (Faicco's, Defonte's, Sergimmo's, Ferdinando's) - but for a pastrami sandwich or a corned beef sandwich, Katz's is always my go to. Would love to find a place that made sandwiches of a similar quality for half the price.
Not sure about Manhattan other than expensive places. But if you're ever in Montreal you have try Schwartz's

under $7 for a sandwich

http://schwartzsdeli.com/ca/en/

Old
01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

There's really no such thing as a good sub-$10 or so pastrami sandwich in NYC. You might as well just get a half pound of boar's head and make it yourself at that price point, the quality will essentially be the same.

Even at places that are seen as cheaper but high quality like Loeser's or Mill Basin that are way out of Manhattan, you're still looking at 13+.

Katz's quality is still pretty high, and is easily one of the more convenient good delis for pastrami.

Sarge's or 2nd Ave Deli are also decent options if you're more in the midtown/herald square area and prefer to walk.

Other options I'd recommend are Ben's Best in Rego Park for traditional jewish foods, and Mile End in Boerum Hill for good smoked meats.

Old
01-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
There's really no such thing as a good sub-$10 or so pastrami sandwich in NYC. You might as well just get a half pound of boar's head and make it yourself at that price point, the quality will essentially be the same.

Even at places that are seen as cheaper but high quality like Loeser's or Mill Basin that are way out of Manhattan, you're still looking at 13+.

Katz's quality is still pretty high, and is easily one of the more convenient good delis for pastrami.

Sarge's or 2nd Ave Deli are also decent options if you're more in the midtown/herald square area and prefer to walk.

Other options I'd recommend are Ben's Best in Rego Park for traditional jewish foods, and Mile End in Boerum Hill for good smoked meats.
Ooooh I forgot about Mile End, had a sandwich there a few years ago when I lived in Brooklyn and absolutely loved it. Haven't found too much of note since moving to Queens so I'll have to check out Ben's soon - thanks for the recs!

Gordon - that picture looks delicious.. but I'm stuck at work and starving, so I kind of hate you right now

Closed Thread