HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Thrashers @ Rangers 1pm MSG

Old
01-20-2007, 02:42 PM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and Ortmeyer's out there.
This team's home record is pathetic and are likely looking at the playoffs from the outside going into the All Star Break.
It matters not where they stand actually until the season is over. Better to be smoking guns after the break than last years dismal performance after the break and how they kinda were a wrecking ball before the Olympics.

But I agree
There is need for changes.

Coaching
Character
Roster

Just like the old Fogerty Band - CCR

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:43 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Krog looked out of place as a second liner. Still can't believe the praise he received in the pregame - truly amazing. I don't like to judge people on one game, but this kid's 32 years old.
Krog stinks and he is 32 so he'll have a spot on this team. I hope they trade prucha so this kid could become a star when he leaves here and gets actual ice team.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Fletch

Noticed the same, jas...

on both fronts...and agree on both...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:45 PM
SML

This was a tough one. I think there is a fundamental flaw with this team, and I don't know that you can coach your way out of it. The skill players on this team are heavily European and they think the game differently. take the PP, for example, They NEVER just get the puck on net and crash for rebounds. Never. It's always pass after pass after pass, looking for an pening that teams aren't giving. They have no concept of creating traffic and making teams react. Perhaps that was what Renney was thinking with Ortmeyer on the PP. You don't get much simpler than Ortmeyers game. The thing is, it nearly worked. Take nothing away from the thrashers, they played a great game. We had chances and didn't capitalize. I think there is alot of blame being put around here on Renney, but how do you coach guys out of a lifetime of instinct that has been coached into them? I think you have to break them up. I cannot for the life of me figure out how a man who obviously knows something about hockey cannot come up with a better option than Marek Frikking Malik to run a point on the PP. This guy couldn't break an egg with his shot. Put another forward out there for crying out loud. I'm frustrated and I know I tend to focus on particular stuff, but Marek Malik is the most decieving player I've ever seen. You look at his numbers and think he's great, you watch him play and he's an utter horror show. One of the most worthless players I have ever watched, and there's been quite a string of them. Not a single ounce of hockey sense, reverses constantly to nobody, puts passes right in teammates' skates, can't clear the puck, can't shoot. Terrible. We gotta get rid of this guy. He may not be bad as a 5-6 guy but he's getting top pair time. Renney had his hands full, because you can't teach a cat to be a dog and I don't know if you can teach these dogs anything at all.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sling

Krog is horrible on both sides of the puck. Dubinsky should be given the 2nd line C to see what he can do with it. Have Prucha and Shanny on his wings, drop Cullen to 3rd C and Betts to 4th.

Why waste my time. It'll never happen.

sling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
To play the game with his gloves glued to his hands. He not only took the Power Play away the Rangers but was challenged and Hnidy dropped his gloves and Ward put the death stare on and did nothing. Way to show the coach you are passionate and the fans you want to be in there every game.
Ward has done it before that too vs Simon...and Malik has too

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
if the Leafs beat the Pens tonight, the Rangers could be out of the playoffs by the end of the night.
I'd be more concerned with long term than short term...

8 - NY RANGERS - GP 48 - W 23 - L 21 - OT 4 - PTS 50
9 - TORONTO - GP 48 - W 22 - L 20 - OT 6 - PTS 50
10 - BOSTON - GP 45 - W 22 - L 19 - OT 4 - PTS 48
11 - PITTSBURGH - GP 45 - W 20 - L 17 - OT 8 - PTS 48

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Fletch

That goes without saying, BBKers...

but adjustments have been needed for a while and the coach is mixing things around, but can't seem to find the groove over the last couple months, or so it seems. The race is still tight, but some teams seem to be pulling away, others seem to be catching up, and the Rangers seem to be standing still.

Old
01-20-2007, 02:47 PM
SML

I agree jas, on a per Dollar basis, Cullen is looking pretty brutal.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Are you guys listening to Tom Renneys post game interview? He's a bag of hot air... STAY THE COURSE?!

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Not to mention, they've got the puck in the attacking zone with under 2 minutes, and Henke is still in the net. Then the next chance they get to pull the goalie, there's only 35 seconds left. Renney has no clue when to pull the goalie.

BTW, can Cullen ever spend a game without falling down. The guy may skate fast, but he has no balance or strength on the his skates whatsoever. That is becoming a disaster of a signing.
great minds aye jas?

heres what a part of my post game wrap from my blog...

Quote:
The Rangers need a 2nd line center. Its becoming an absolute team killer at this point. Shanahan can not do it himself, hes not that kind of a player, he needs a guy who can create space for Shanahan to rip a shot. Cullen can barely touch the puck without falling or tripping or being bumped off of it before anything can be set up. Cullen should be on the 3rd line, thats where he belongs.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:49 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Are you guys listening to Tom Renneys post game interview? He's a bag of hot air... STAY THE COURSE?!
yeah. more krog, cullen and maik getting tons of ice time.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:49 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

On a positive note, Pock continues to look better and better. And Jed had a solid game. Its good to have his energy back. And, if this team ever had players in the right roles, and the Rangers had a 2nd line capable of scoring, a player like Betts would be recognized for the solid game he plays.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

TR: We need more offense from our third and fourth lines.

Newsflash Tom... they haven't all year and I highly doubt they start now.

Old
01-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Fletch

Pock does get better...

but still very ordinary. He's still a bit weak and isn't racking up the points. But he's made strides in his decision making.

Old
01-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Jackson Ranger

A stat from Renney's postgame conference.

Giveaways:

ATL 2
NYR 14

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
great minds aye jas?

heres what a part of my post game wrap from my blog...
Agreed, inferno. And, with regards to Malik, I still maintain that Rozsival looks so much worse this year playing next to Malik. I'm disappointed Renney moved Rozsival away from Pock, who's actually becoming one of the better D-men the Rangers have.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Fletch

Mister..

Renney doesn't get it. Yes, this team needs more offense from its third and fourth lines, something we've been saying since last season. What he doesn't understand is that the answer isn't putting a guy like Prucha out there to play with fourth liners. He needs third and fourth liners (guys like Hossa, Betts, Hollweg, Ward and Ortmeyers, Callahan (oops)) to score. He really should sit back and watch some games and take note what's wrong, and why it's wrong. Who works well with who and in what role. It's not really that difficult.

Old
01-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Agreed, inferno. And, with regards to Malik, I still maintain that Rozsival looks so much worse this year playing next to Malik. I'm disappointed Renney moved Rozsival away from Pock, who's actually becoming one of the better D-men the Rangers have.
Yep, Rozsival has looked much better playing away from Malik. Im just not sure what the answer is at this point. Clearly the answer is NOT Kaspar who has been pretty much a non factor, and been just as bad as Malik. So you have to wonder, who do you use? Baranka? isnt he hurt or something? Girardi? Liffiton? Seriously, who plays?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

All I will say, is before gutting the prospect pool for that center...give Dubinsky a taste. some guys can step up when given the chance regardless of what their production is at a lower level. Renney needs to suck up whatever bias he has versus unproven players especially rookies and grow a set. Play Brandon for 5 games and if he does not prove he belongs, send him down. But Jason ****ing Krog at center turning into Jed freakin Ortmeyer on the wing on the second line is a shame.

Twitter
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:00 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Renney doesn't get it. Yes, this team needs more offense from its third and fourth lines, something we've been saying since last season. What he doesn't understand is that the answer isn't putting a guy like Prucha out there to play with fourth liners. He needs third and fourth liners (guys like Hossa, Betts, Hollweg, Ward and Ortmeyers, Callahan (oops)) to score. He really should sit back and watch some games and take note what's wrong, and why it's wrong. Who works well with who and in what role. It's not really that difficult.
Oh yeah I completely agree, but hey you and I don't coach this team.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Fletch

Dubinsky's improved...

but just about a month ago he was struggling with the AHL game. Not sure if he's ready for the second line centerman jump just yet. A more limited role to get acclimated, perhaps, but I think the jump to second line may be premature, the more I think about it.

This team may look different for its next game. Not sure if I'm excited or scared at this point, although nobody looked to be showcased this past game, so who knows.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

slowly and slowly this team is draining the passion as a fan out of me. i stopped paying attention around the half to focus on other things and briefly checked back in. i have never done that before. from the owner, to management, to the players, to Sam and Joe...this is far cry from the good 'ol days in Rangerland. at what point will they stop feeding us lies? its getting quite offensive. i just cannot take much more of being splashed in the face with kool aid...

Old
01-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
but just about a month ago he was struggling with the AHL game. Not sure if he's ready for the second line centerman jump just yet. A more limited role to get acclimated, perhaps, but I think the jump to second line may be premature, the more I think about it.
By using that frame of mind, no one will ever be ready. I know the kid is raw. I understand that Callahan and Dawes are the only pro ready players we have in Hartford. But you will never know if the kid could come up and have insane chemistry with Prucha and Shanahan if you do not try it. I just do not understand management's thinking. How did Travis Zajac get to the Devil's second line? He most likely showed more than Dubi did for us, but my god it could not have been by much.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
slowly and slowly this team is draining the passion as a fan out of me. i stopped paying attention around the half to focus on other things and briefly checked back in. i have never done that before. from the owner, to management, to the players, to Sam and Joe...this is far cry from the good 'ol days in Rangerland. at what point will they stop feeding us lies? its getting quite offensive. i just cannot take much more of being splashed in the face with kool aid...
The good old days in Rangerland? When was that? Seriously, I'm very surprised by some of the reactions from some fans. I thought the Rangers would make the playoffs this season and could win a round. That said, I would not be surprised if they miss the postseason. And I felt that way last season.

What we're seeing is what this team is - a very flawed, very streaky and poorly constructed team.