HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto’s reps want meeting with Rangers GM to talk trade

View Poll Results: Trade Del Zotto?
Yes 130 76.47%
No 40 23.53%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2014, 06:12 PM
  #151
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 17,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't understand how he can say that when MDZ has already topped 40 points.
He's basically telling the hockey world that he currently is not to be considered a 40-point/20-min guy.

He's not.

It's like calling Girardi a Norris-caliber defenseman. He's was in 2012 but he's pretty far from that right now.

Healy probably reads these boards LOL

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 06:13 PM
  #152
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,514
vCash: 500
Dz will be gone by this time next week. Gut feeling with these meetings and him being in plus we have scouts at the Colorado game too. I think he's gone

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 06:14 PM
  #153
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
I suppose the same way Boyle is not a 20 goal scorer.
DZ has played 5 seasons on the Rangers, 4 full seasons and one lockout season. Over those years, he's scored 41 once, 37 once, and then scored 21 in the lockout season.

Boyle has played 5 seasons on the Rangers. He scored 21 goals one year, and his highest after that was 11. His highest after that was 4.

That comparison doesn't really hold up.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
  #154
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS View Post
Dz will be gone by this time next week. Gut feeling with these meetings and him being in plus we have scouts at the Colorado game too. I think he's gone

Slats tends to be very careful with his trades. He won't trade him just to trade him.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 08:53 PM
  #155
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 17,043
vCash: 500
Greening and Stone both scored tonight. Del Zotto had a good game. Stone is very slow but he's a big, tough, mean kid with good hands. He had a nice touch on his tonight.

Ottawa is red hot. They just won in Montreal without Spezza. I don't know if they're willing to part with Stone.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:50 PM
  #156
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow
 
The Mars Volchenkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 41,387
vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS View Post
Dz will be gone by this time next week. Gut feeling with these meetings and him being in plus we have scouts at the Colorado game too. I think he's gone
Both Rangers scouts ended up leaving the Avs game early, according to a reporter. They've been at recent games though.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:12 PM
  #157
Rangers Fail
Free James Sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Both Rangers scouts ended up leaving the Avs game early, according to a reporter. They've been at recent games though.
They needed a minute when they saw the Rangers - Leafs score.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:23 PM
  #158
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Both Rangers scouts ended up leaving the Avs game early, according to a reporter. They've been at recent games though.
If you're a scout viewing a game, what on earth would cause you to leave early? What are you going to do that is more important?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
  #159
rangerfan_79
Registered User
 
rangerfan_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If you're a scout viewing a game, what on earth would cause you to leave early? What are you going to do that is more important?
canibus is legal in Colorado now but in short supply.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:43 PM
  #160
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,241
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
canibus is legal in Colorado now but in short supply.
*Cannabis

And word.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:00 AM
  #161
SKjEi o2
Registered User
 
SKjEi o2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: Nepal
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
*Cannabis

And word.
*You shouldn't start a sentence with the word "and".

SKjEi o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:18 AM
  #162
Dolphan
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Might be that Sather got a better offer from somebody else, gave them a call and told them to head there and start scouting there instead. Or they wanted to scout Barrie or Wilson ( 2 of the AV's scratches).


Last edited by Dolphan: 01-05-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Dolphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:25 AM
  #163
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bialystok, Poland
Country: Iceland
Posts: 6,047
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphan View Post
Might be that Sather got a better offer from somebody else, gave them a call and told them to head there and start scouting there instead.
Charlestown still have a team?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:20 AM
  #164
Problematique
Registered User
 
Problematique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Charlestown still have a team?
Del Zotto for the Hanson brothers, I hear they're cheap prospects.

Problematique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:23 AM
  #165
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not really. He plateaued two years ago. He's got worse since and particularly this year. I think other coaching staffs could get more out of him than this coaching staff of ours. Get him back to where he was anyway. Not going to find out that until it actually happens but I expect his game will improve after he moves. Here--he's going to spin his wheels.

If we're going to talk about DZ objectively. Do I think he's capable of putting up 35-40 point seasons? Yes. With us--with AV? No. Upside?--no more upside than we've seen in the past. He is more or less what he is. An average defender at best who can add some offense from your back line--just don't expect too much. Don't expect him to be a legit pwp qb. His offensive creativity has not really improved since his rookie year. His shot is suspect in terms of 1. accuracy 2. velocity. Mentally I think he's a bit on the fragile side. Not a leader in any respect. That is something that hurts him as Staal at least was a huge leader for the Rangers until all the injuries and McDonagh has pretty much become the leader of the D and IMO is captain material.
I know it's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but youa re wrong on some facts.
He has struggled for 2 years? Tell that to Torts when he was putting him as a top pair when Staal was injured and when he was on pace for 37 points season.
His shot accuracy, or lack thereof, has been addressed numerous times, he is about average for the NHL. There are multiple posts addressing this issue.
He is weak mentally? Starting as a 19 year old in the NHL for Torts and succeeding makes you mentally weak. I would argue the opposite.
Listen, you don't like Dz, we get it, but at least don't distort the facts.
And you still have not addressed the contradiction in your post, has he plateaued or does he need a change of scenery? Can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
MDZ has not earned a raise but will get one this summer if the team owning his rights qualifies him. MDZ is moving into territory on his contract where the owners of said contract will have less ability to cost control his earnings at least until he hits UFA status. His $ should go up as his offensive production goes up for the Rangers to get real value out of his contract. Offense is his bread and butter argument for more $. The way AV etal. use him there's no chance that there's going to be much production at all. Playing him on the right side IMO is just stupid. 7 points this year tells you anyway his confidence is in the toilet. Are we going to turn around and give him $2.9 mil + this summer going at the rate he's going and with a coach with 4 more years on his contract who obviously doesn't want him? That would be IMO just ****ing senseless. John Moore IMO has nothing to do with this argument. He's not playing all that better than DZ but the expectations--his role on this team are different enough. The $'s he's making is manageable for what we're getting out of him.

Hypothetically--the Rangers attempt to sign DZ this summer for one year at his qualifying offer--$2.9?--coming off a 15 point season (quite possibly non-playoff season) of numerous scratches. Same coaching staff next year. I mean WTF? Does DZ sign that? Does he take the team to arbitration? and ask for $3.5 or $4 mil per? If he does we'll be going through the same nonsense of signing him the year after. Does he demand a trade because he doesn't want to play for this team anymore? If he wins a one year arbitration award for $3.5 mil.--what's his next contract going to look like?

It should be fairly clear by now that 1 of 2 things are going to happen. 1. DZ gets moved. 2. Sather fires AV and staff. No. 2 is extremely unlikely. Maybe there's a third option--couples therapy. Somehow I don't think that will work either.
He got paid is current salary because of what he accomplished. The way he is valued by the org is not exactly as a 3rd pairing Dman and other teams would get him not as a 3rd pairing Dman. Yes he is being railroaded by AV and you are building your whole argument around that, but it does not take away from the fact that it's not what his value is, and it's not what he accomplished.
Your argument is essentially wishful thinking and revisionist history.


Last edited by Kwayry: 01-05-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:29 AM
  #166
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
MDZ and Moore for Meszaros, Meszaros got a wicked slapshot, big body, okey skater and lots of NHL exp. He has struggled in PHI, but that has alot to do With the Depth on D. He would be a Perfect fit for the rangers.

MDZ and Moore are both out of position from time to time. We wont win the cup if those two guys face elite forwards.

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:03 AM
  #167
Seven C0stanza
Registered User
 
Seven C0stanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: South Africa
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
MDZ and Moore for Meszaros, Meszaros got a wicked slapshot, big body, okey skater and lots of NHL exp. He has struggled in PHI, but that has alot to do With the Depth on D. He would be a Perfect fit for the rangers.

MDZ and Moore are both out of position from time to time. We wont win the cup if those two guys face elite forwards.
Mdz and Moore are both out of position from time to time. Let's trade 2 young d men for flyers trash because they are offensive d men who happen to be out of position from time to time.

Seven C0stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:58 AM
  #168
Psuedo Omega
Registered User
 
Psuedo Omega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
The damage has simply been done, so you got to move him ASAP. I never was a big DZ fan (find his play erratic and his psyche fragile) but there is no question AV and Sather have mismanaged this situation at this point as well. I worry if we don't do something soon some of our other struggling D men may start tuning out the coaching staff (Despite them probably having valid arguments against AV, you can't let that happen)

What I don't get with AV is why he sticks with this man to man style D when it's obviously not working. I admit I don't quite understand AV's positioning quite yet, but I don't see how it would radically alter what we're trying to do on offense. Other than a shot blocking system causing you to take more time breaking out of your own zone, I simply don't see any reason that we shouldn't go back to a form of zone D. Why not make decisions to put our players in positions they have historically been more successful? Pisses me off

DZ will go on and probably have a successful career somewhere else, and I wish him well.


Last edited by Psuedo Omega: 01-05-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Psuedo Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:45 AM
  #169
KingStian
Registered User
 
KingStian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
What people has to realize is that even if he were turn his game around after being dealt somewhere else, it still might have been the right move. Sometimes players just grow stale in a place and they will never find their game again in that place.

Del Zotto has seemed to be stale for some time now and I think it's time to let him get a chance somewhere else. If he get his game back on track some other place, great for him. It still doesn't mean it would have happened if he stayed put in New York.

KingStian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:30 AM
  #170
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 6,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKjEi o2 View Post
*You shouldn't start a sentence with the word "and".
"That it is a solecism to begin a sentence with and is a faintly lingering superstition. The OED gives examples ranging from the 10th to the 19th c.; the Bible is full of them."

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:47 AM
  #171
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I know it's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but youa re wrong on some facts.
He has struggled for 2 years? Tell that to Torts when he was putting him as a top pair when Staal was injured and when he was on pace for 37 points season.
His shot accuracy, or lack thereof, has been addressed numerous times, he is about average for the NHL. There are multiple posts addressing this issue.
He is weak mentally? Starting as a 19 year old in the NHL for Torts and succeeding makes you mentally weak. I would argue the opposite.
Listen, you don't like Dz, we get it, but at least don't distort the facts.
And you still have not addressed the contradiction in your post, has he plateaued or does he need a change of scenery? Can't have it both ways.

Also he could have plateau'd but he is also bot being handled well by this staff and is being scratched even after good games. So it's reasonable to assume that A) he wont improvements on his career best and B)he can do better than what he is doing un this specific season

He got paid is current salary because of what he accomplished. The way he is valued by the org is not exactly as a 3rd pairing Dman and other teams would get him not as a 3rd pairing Dman. Yes he is being railroaded by AV and you are building your whole argument around that, but it does not take away from the fact that it's not what his value is, and it's not what he accomplished.
Your argument is essentially wishful thinking and revisionist history.
Tbf these are your opinions I bolded and not facts. For instance you seem to have an opinion on what two years is. Two years should include this year, last year and a part of the year that you mentioned but not the whole thing. Looking at this year and last year as the majority of these "2 years" he has regressed and the point was valid.

Succeeding under Torts = tough is an opinion.

It is possible that he plateau'd and won't develop past his best numbers offensively nor will he develop his D game further than he did in 11-12. But it is separately possible that he can do better than what he is doing now.

He is currently with a coach who has scratched him after good games for inferior players.
Has been simultaneously been put on his off side
WHILE maybe he is in a system that may not work with his skill set/ physical tools and brain.
For these reasons it is very logical to assume he could do better with a different coach.
It seems like you are letting what you perceive as his bias affect how you react to some of his legitimate points.

Of course tons of people only bring up valid points in a skewed manner as a way to further their agenda/opinion. But in this case the opinions he expressed are grounded in a very fair amount of reality


Last edited by shinchanyo: 01-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.
shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:54 AM
  #172
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Friedman just said that the meeting never happened but the crew is at the ACC for the game.

Healy said, "Its done between Del Zotto and the rangers. He's not a 40-point defenseman. He's not a 20-min a night guy"

Sather is waiting....waiting...waiting....
TOR wants DZ, and Healey is a shill for the TOR media and it's fan base. Given how porous the TOR defense was last night, you can see why they would want Girardi and Del Zotto.

The sad thing as that the Ranger coach feels the same way as Healey.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:14 PM
  #173
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
MDZ and Moore for Meszaros, Meszaros got a wicked slapshot, big body, okey skater and lots of NHL exp. He has struggled in PHI, but that has alot to do With the Depth on D. He would be a Perfect fit for the rangers.

MDZ and Moore are both out of position from time to time. We wont win the cup if those two guys face elite forwards.
You want offensive dmen but then get mad when they get out of position sometimes?

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:15 PM
  #174
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 19,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
*Cannabis

And word.
Where'd you learn that, Cheech? DRUGGG SKOOOOL!?

__________________


rip
DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:49 PM
  #175
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan
 
Alex Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Conspiratron 3000
Country: South Korea
Posts: 20,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If you're a scout viewing a game, what on earth would cause you to leave early? What are you going to do that is more important?
Barrie didn't play. That's probably why they left.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.