HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Leafs: "What the hell just happened?" Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2014, 12:53 AM
  #176
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,689
vCash: 500
Never knew the NHL had a mercy rule....seriously how did the 8th goal not count? No review? wtf?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:53 AM
  #177
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Funny really, after the Pens game people here and elsewhere called the Rangers soft as silk, looking like girls, and so on. I wonder if they read these posts and it pissed them off.

Because look what happened tonight. They crushed the Leafs, looked tough, Kreider fights and Sather picks up Carcillo
I hope so

But the leafs suck at D. When D Moore is looking like Crosby, then somehing is wrong. They just signed Phanouf long term. They had to because the rest of the Ds sucks. Its like one NHL D and 5 AHL Ds. Many leafs fans hope Girardi will sign With them in the off season.

So lets not be to optimistic. Dnt forget that the leafs suck at D. That said im happy Kessel, Bozak and JVR didnt create much

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:56 AM
  #178
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
A few generic thoughts:

We need to learn to work hard and win battles and keep our battle level up every single shift. Our problem against hard working teams have been lapses here and there and being outworked 70/30 consistently. It's as simple as that, really. There are a few ways to win games and we're not talented enough to be a lazy, sloppy, unmotivated team.

Of all the guys on our team this year that has perhaps lead to this team's poor identity, Dom Moore is not one of them and it's great to see him score a few individual effort goals. Our 4th line has been the best thing in the last few weeks aside from Zucc.

Ryan McDonagh's shooting percentage is at 7.9% which isn't bad but if you take away an empty net goal and Quick's present, it's around 5.6%. All the chances McDonagh has gotten in the last while, including so many from about 10-15ft where he had a goalie and net to look at, he needs to finish more of those. He's not a Girardi or Stralman. He's so smart and knows where to be offensively that he's getting quality scoring chances every game. Had looks tonight despite the reduced playing time, goal and a solid performance in PIT, best player on the ice in the offensive zone in the OT aside from Thomas. Looking at all of his shots, he needs to work on his shot. he doesn't have a hard or quick shot. He uses his wrister that gets through more often than your average point shot but aside from that, his shot is really average. In tight, his ability to get a hard shot away quick is pretty underwhelming.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:03 AM
  #179
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
So lets not be to optimistic. Dnt forget that the leafs suck at D. That said im happy Kessel, Bozak and JVR didnt create much
The Leafs are not that bad, last six games before tonight they're 4-0-2.

Rangers simply played a damn good game on the road, it's like something exploded.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:05 AM
  #180
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
I wish Kreider hadn't scored. Ruined a perfectly good slogan.

The New York Rangers, where anyone can be a leading scorer.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:06 AM
  #181
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
I hope so

But the leafs suck at D. When D Moore is looking like Crosby, then somehing is wrong. They just signed Phanouf long term. They had to because the rest of the Ds sucks. Its like one NHL D and 5 AHL Ds. Many leafs fans hope Girardi will sign With them in the off season.

So lets not be to optimistic. Dnt forget that the leafs suck at D. That said im happy Kessel, Bozak and JVR didnt create much
We were told that Gardiner and Franson were the bomb. Maybe it was just hot air?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:08 AM
  #182
KasparsHipCheck
Registered User
 
KasparsHipCheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: upstate ny
Country: United States
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresto View Post
A few generic thoughts:

We need to learn to work hard and win battles and keep our battle level up every single shift. Our problem against hard working teams have been lapses here and there and being outworked 70/30 consistently. It's as simple as that, really. There are a few ways to win games and we're not talented enough to be a lazy, sloppy, unmotivated team.

Of all the guys on our team this year that has perhaps lead to this team's poor identity, Dom Moore is not one of them and it's great to see him score a few individual effort goals. Our 4th line has been the best thing in the last few weeks aside from Zucc.

Ryan McDonagh's shooting percentage is at 7.9% which isn't bad but if you take away an empty net goal and Quick's present, it's around 5.6%. All the chances McDonagh has gotten in the last while, including so many from about 10-15ft where he had a goalie and net to look at, he needs to finish more of those. He's not a Girardi or Stralman. He's so smart and knows where to be offensively that he's getting quality scoring chances every game. Had looks tonight despite the reduced playing time, goal and a solid performance in PIT, best player on the ice in the offensive zone in the OT aside from Thomas. Looking at all of his shots, he needs to work on his shot. he doesn't have a hard or quick shot. He uses his wrister that gets through more often than your average point shot but aside from that, his shot is really average. In tight, his ability to get a hard shot away quick is pretty underwhelming.
I think McD's been playing a smart game all the way around. He's doesn't have a great shot from the point as you mentioned, but at least he's smart when he chooses to pinch in on a play or when to play it safe and stay put or pull back from the blue line. For me the guy on D that has been the most underwhelming as far as offensive potential is Girardi. He never shoots and he has a pretty good shot. I wish he chipped in like McD has on Offense, but he is forever hesitant. Forget about pinching in. G won't even take a slapper from the point when he's got all the time in the world, he hesitates and holds the puck until the other team covers him, then passes. It's more frustrating to see a guy not take a single chance, then take putting a weaker shot on net and seeing what happens with a screen or rebound.

KasparsHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:09 AM
  #183
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
We were told that Gardiner and Franson were the bomb. Maybe it was just hot air?
They suck. The leafs overpayed for Phaneuf and they know it, but they had no Choice. The leafs D are not good enough. They just traded Liles for some canes D. Cant remember his name. Gleason or something. Anyways they are trying build a stronger D core.

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:11 AM
  #184
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasparsHipCheck View Post
I think McD's been playing a smart game all the way around. He's doesn't have a great shot from the point as you mentioned, but at least he's smart when he chooses to pinch in on a play or when to play it safe and stay put or pull back from the blue line. For me the guy on D that has been the most underwhelming as far as offensive potential is Girardi. He never shoots and he has a pretty good shot. I wish he chipped in like McD has on Offense, but he is forever hesitant. Forget about pinching in. G won't even take a slapper from the point when he's got all the time in the world, he hesitates and holds the puck until the other team covers him, then passes. It's more frustrating to see a guy not take a single chance, then take putting a weaker shot on net and seeing what happens with a screen or rebound.
Girardi is what he is, nothing more. Can't blame the blender for not making a hot meal. McD however is the grill and when it doesn't get those grill marks on the meat and get that flavor in the way a grill is suppose to, it's a damn shame. His next step as a defenseman is to finish those chances. He's now a great offensive play making shutdown defenseman. If he can be a scoring D too, he'd rock the world.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:13 AM
  #185
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresto View Post
I wish Kreider hadn't scored. Ruined a perfectly good slogan.

The New York Rangers, where anyone can be a leading scorer.
Hell no. Hertl's out until March. Chris has got a Calder to win.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:13 AM
  #186
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
They suck. The leafs overpayed for Phaneuf and they know it, but they had no Choice. The leafs D are not good enough. They just traded Liles for some canes D. Cant remember his name. Gleason or something. Anyways they are trying build a stronger D core.
Oh you get no disagreement from me.

Gardiner hasn't proven nothing yet and he is already better than DZ according to some posters.
Franson is nothing more than a #7D PP specialist and he can replace Girardi.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:16 AM
  #187
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
The Leafs are not that bad, last six games before tonight they're 4-0-2.

Rangers simply played a damn good game on the road, it's like something exploded.
They got Kessel and JVR. Thats why they win games. Kessel has allrdy 20 goals. Both him and JVR should score more than 30 goals. With a proper defense the leafs would be a contender.


Last edited by TollefsenFan: 01-05-2014 at 01:22 AM.
TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:18 AM
  #188
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Anyone have highlights of the Kreider fight? Had a wedding tonight and could only watch the highlights (of course they put on the performance of the year)

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:21 AM
  #189
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Oh you get no disagreement from me.

Gardiner hasn't proven nothing yet and he is already better than DZ according to some posters.
Franson is nothing more than a #7D PP specialist and he can replace Girardi.
No players on the ufa market can replace Girardi. So we should do as the leafs. Overpaying for one of Our core players. Girardi, Mcd and Strålman should be a part of this teams future. Maybe Staal.

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:25 AM
  #190
NYR2047
Moderator
WebMD Trained Doctor
 
NYR2047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoHitTheNetJK View Post
Anyone have highlights of the Kreider fight? Had a wedding tonight and could only watch the highlights (of course they put on the performance of the year)
haha I wouldn't call it a fight its more of a tug and tackle.

Overall I thought the team played well, the one thing that was evident was the breakout. That what it seems like the team needs to work on. When they are quick on the puck and have great breakouts they seem to be able to control the play. When they don't do that it seems like the D is not able to handle the other team due to the Man D. Torts system made it easier to compensate for that failed break out with the Zone D and the 6 goalie system. This team can do well but to help the offense the team will give up some on D, I would hope that Sather can make a deal or two maybe get another PMD or OFD so that this way they can contribute more. While it would be nice to have some toughness having the ability to move the puck will make it so much easier.

This seems like a wash of a season, I can't see them going to far this year but never know stranger things have happened

NYR2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:33 AM
  #191
KasparsHipCheck
Registered User
 
KasparsHipCheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: upstate ny
Country: United States
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresto View Post
Girardi is what he is, nothing more. Can't blame the blender for not making a hot meal. McD however is the grill and when it doesn't get those grill marks on the meat and get that flavor in the way a grill is suppose to, it's a damn shame. His next step as a defenseman is to finish those chances. He's now a great offensive play making shutdown defenseman. If he can be a scoring D too, he'd rock the world.
It is way to late for an analogy comparing McD to a Grill. (At least for me to comprehend/appreciate it) He's taken the next step this year into being a awesome two-way player. All of his decisions regarding offense are smart. He seldom gets caught pinching. When guys like DZ have become a constant liability Defensively, it just makes McD's decision and metamorphosis into a complete player all the more appreciable. He's been good and so has Stralman. With G, I know he's Mr. Shut-down on D, but he's really got a good shot. The least he could do without hurting this part of his game is release the canon from the blue line when he has the opportunity. There has been so many times when he's had the time/space, and hasn't done it. With the Rangers offense disappearing it would be great for the guys on D to through the puck at the net more often.

KasparsHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:41 AM
  #192
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoHitTheNetJK View Post
Anyone have highlights of the Kreider fight? Had a wedding tonight and could only watch the highlights (of course they put on the performance of the year)
Kreider fight video on page 5 of this thread, post 105.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:44 AM
  #193
Glennsoe
Horndog
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
When do we play these guys again???

This was sorta kinda fun...you know..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:45 AM
  #194
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers Fail View Post
Hell no. Hertl's out until March. Chris has got a Calder to win.
With our dysfunctional team? MacKinnon has the advantage + Kreider won't be given the benefit of the doubt for having been around since May of 2012.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:46 AM
  #195
Glennsoe
Horndog
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Kreider fight video on page 5 of this thread, post 105.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=105

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:49 AM
  #196
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
^^^^
Makin it too easy for them

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:51 AM
  #197
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
7 goals or 1 goal Talbot should be the starter. The team plays better for him, Hank isn't playing well right now & the team doesn't seem to want to play for him.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:54 AM
  #198
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
From Toronto Sun

Leafs were simply defenceless
Quote:
Coughing up 50 shots and playing about as tough as a feather, the Leafs, horrendous in all aspects, were especially terrible on the back end.
Quote:
Every Leafs defenceman made poor choices and costly errors that led to goals against the Blueshirts. Considering Gleason is readily available to the team, one would have been inclined to expect a better effort from blueliners such as Paul Ranger, Jake Gardiner, Cody Franson and Morgan Rielly. They should have been auditioning to maintain their positioning, making decisions difficult for their coach regarding how and when to get Gleason in the lineup. Instead, getting the newcomer -- or anybody else -- in the lineup is probably a step that can't happen quick enough for the miffed Leafs coach. Maybe, after what we witnessed Saturday, a shakeup of the regulars -- and a visit to the pressbox -- is exactly what more than a few of the them need
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/05...ly-defenceless

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:35 AM
  #199
LORENZO
Registered User
 
LORENZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: England
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
So.... That was pretty good.

LORENZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:57 AM
  #200
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,886
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Hysterical to see a goal waved off for no reason at all.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.