HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time for Therrien to go?

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2014, 11:26 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
försköning
respekt Blou, respekt!

Old
01-05-2014, 12:14 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Everything is wonderful, obviously Bergevin has made nothing but great moves except for Therrien but it wasn't his fault because the evil media made him do that. How Therrien hasn't taken this all star team of olympic gods to the cup by now is unbelievable.
He won't get fired and it annoys you, doesn't? :-)

Old
01-05-2014, 01:05 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Therrien never disappoints with Bouillon on the PP. Their relationship is a tad too cozy. I'd personally start trying forwards on the point if Emelin doesn't make it...and hell, Emelin hasn't really had a legit shot on the PP ever since he got here, with that fool Cunneyworth using St-Denis over him...

Old
01-05-2014, 01:25 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
Team needs to hire based off other factors than just language.
There was no other options regardless.

Old
01-06-2014, 09:58 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

For the love of Habs everywhere in the world.............Therrien..........give Eller's line a chance to score goals. Move Bournival up to Eller's line and give Bourque to Prust and Moen.

Yes, Bourque had 4 shots but he was turning the puck over and killing offensive opportunities all night long. He does not have the skill to play with Eller and Chuckie.

Think about it Therrien. Pleks' line is scoring now. DD's line is scoring. Bournival with Eller will get that line going.

Do it man.

Oh, put Subban with Markov please. Markov and Emelin is a disaster.

Old
01-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Lucky Luke

2nd in the conference last year.
3rd in the conference this year.

Is this thread real?

Old
01-06-2014, 11:45 PM
HatTricK09

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post

Is this thread real?
Stop looking at the standings on NHL.com, and actually watch the games this year. A lot of his decisions and handling of our players are pretty confusing.

Is this post real?

Old
01-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Is this thread real?
The real question is more could we be better? If you think we're playing as good as we can, then okay. But I don't think so.

Old
01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Tonight comments by MT on the blue line situation made me want to blow my head off or at the very least get wasted. Apparently the genius idea was to split Markov and Subban because they were giving too many scoring chances. Da fuq!

Since that split the Habs went from giving about 1 goal a game on average to giving 3. So instead of having Markov and Subban play top minutes you got the slow and slower duo of Murray and Bouilion. You got the Markov and Emelin duo that clearly expose the fact that Markov lost a step and Emelin is out of shape. Subban and Gorges are okay together but it clear to me that Gorges is better suited to keep Emelin out of trouble. Subban speed is getting wasted when paired with Gorges.

Old
01-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Andy

MT is so predictable.

He'll never ride a hot line. Even if one line is particularly dominant one game, he'll still default to giving DD's line the lionshare of PP time and offensive opportunities. He won't even try to double shift the hot line/player, unless of course, that line is Pacioretty's.

If Plekanec's unit gets first wave time, it will be max 30 seconds, after which they will be removed for DD's wave which generally sees the remainder of the PP, even if it is not particular effective. Again, PP lines will not be adjusted for players who are hot in that particular game. Unless DD's line just finished a shift, you can always expect their line to be rolled out for the start of the PP, no matter how ineffective they have been.

From the start of the game, you already know the order in which he will roll his lines after the first complete rotations. If the game begins with DD, Plekanec, Prust, Eller's lines, it will continue that way for the rest of the game, in that very order. The exception here being an icing or the gaining of an offensive zone faceoff which 80% of the time will be given to DD and Pacioretty.

In recent games, Montreal's weakest pairing on D gets coupled with Galchenyuk's line, almost completely eliminating any offensive contribution since the pairing usually can't make a pass to exit their zone if their lives depended on it. He doesn't trust his 4th line enough to be defensively responsible so almost always couples it with the Subban pairing. Since Therrien roles 4 lines, Subban hardly gets paired up with a second scoring line for most of the game. This only changes if the Canadiens are down a couple of goals. Otherwise, Therrien always plays it safe.

He's not a proactive coach, he's slow to react and adjust, will beat his head against the same wall a million times before he accepts a change is needed and when he does, he doesn't have the patience to wait out the adjustment and will revert back at slightest mishap.

That's why I can't get excited for this team anymore, it's literally going through the motions. I can almost predict every line change, every decision made by the coaching staff in every situation. There is no dynamics in his coaching, his strategy is about as flat as you can get.

You never see Therrien playing a chess game like Claude Julien who is constantly adjusting to the other team out there within a game, getting the right matchups or confusing opposing teams by mixing up the order at which he throws out his lines, double shifting the hot hand/line, exploiting those on the opposing team who are having a particularly bad game, changing up the matchup for one his own lines that are having a rough game etc etc. Instead, if Prust's line is struggling all night against the opposing team's 3rd line all night, Therrien will continue matching them up, not even making an effort to get the line away from the other. This is particularly frustrating when he has first change at home games.

MT's cliche game plan:
Strong on puck
Stubborn at blue line
Pucks on net

What it translates to:
Price/Budaj bails team out
One line scores
Habs constantly give up possession by dumping and being unable to retrieve the puck
depend on PP, which means depend on PK and Markov

Last edited by Andy: 01-07-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old
01-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Is this thread real?
Don't under estimate the ability of HF Boards posters to be dillusional...

Old
01-07-2014, 05:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
MT is so predictable.

He'll never ride a hot line. Even if one line is particularly dominant one game, he'll still default to giving DD's line the lionshare of PP time and offensive opportunities. He won't even try to double shift the hot line/player, unless of course, that line is Pacioretty's.

If Plekanec's unit gets first wave time, it will be max 30 seconds, after which they will be removed for DD's wave which generally sees the remainder of the PP, even if it is not particular effective. Again, PP lines will not be adjusted for players who are hot in that particular game. Unless DD's line just finished a shift, you can always expect their line to be rolled out for the start of the PP, no matter how ineffective they have been.

From the start of the game, you already know the order in which he will roll his lines after the first complete rotations. If the game begins with DD, Plekanec, Prust, Eller's lines, it will continue that way for the rest of the game, in that very order. The exception here being an icing or the gaining of an offensive zone faceoff which 80% of the time will be given to DD and Pacioretty.

In recent games, Montreal's weakest pairing on D gets coupled with Galchenyuk's line, almost completely eliminating any offensive contribution since the pairing usually can't make a pass to exit their zone if their lives depended on it. He doesn't trust his 4th line enough to be defensively responsible so almost always couples it with the Subban pairing. Since Therrien roles 4 lines, Subban hardly gets paired up with a second scoring line for most of the game. This only changes if the Canadiens are down a couple of goals. Otherwise, Therrien always plays it safe.

He's not a proactive coach, he's slow to react and adjust, will beat his head against the same wall a million times before he accepts a change is needed and when he does, he doesn't have the patience to wait out the adjustment and will revert back at slightest mishap.

That's why I can't get excited for this team anymore, it's literally going through the motions. I can almost predict every line change, every decision made by the coaching staff in every situation. There is no dynamics in his coaching, his strategy is about as flat as you can get.

You never see Therrien playing a chess game like Claude Julien who is constantly adjusting to the other team out there within a game, getting the right matchups or confusing opposing teams by mixing up the order at which he throws out his lines, double shifting the hot hand/line, exploiting those on the opposing team who are having a particularly bad game, changing up the matchup for one his own lines that are having a rough game etc etc. Instead, if Prust's line is struggling all night against the opposing team's 3rd line all night, Therrien will continue matching them up, not even making an effort to get the line away from the other. This is particularly frustrating when he has first change at home games.

MT's cliche game plan:
Strong on puck
Stubborn at blue line
Pucks on net

What it translates to:
Price/Budaj bails team out
One line scores
Habs constantly give up possession by dumping and being unable to retrieve the puck
depend on PP, which means depend on PK and Markov
"riding a hot line" is basically what he does on the PP. The line that's hot usually gets #1 PP slot. It's been like taht since the was named coach last year.

Old
01-07-2014, 06:25 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Brian Wilde interview last night says Briere doesn't agree with the way he's being used. Briere Says the right side is the absolute worst place to put him. Truth or controversy?

Old
01-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Habruti!

I do not really like the roster, to many small (and slow for there size) forwards with Briere, Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher and Plekanek. I do not like the decisions they are making (i.e putting Briere with Plekanek and Gionta on the left while they have Bourque with Eller and Gallagher. It should be the opposite IMO. But guess what there is not way to tell if it would be better and while the standing looks like this we will not see any major changes IMO.

Old
01-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Brian Wilde interview last night says Briere doesn't agree with the way he's being used. Briere Says the right side is the absolute worst place to put him. Truth or controversy?
Then why did he sign with a team that's only weakness is on RW?

Old
01-07-2014, 07:36 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Briere played on the left.

Old
01-07-2014, 08:34 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
This is the kind of bonehead signing which exposes a terrible GM. ****ing Bergevin.

Old
01-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Uber Coca

What I posted in the GDT:

I don't like how this team has been playing for the last 15 - 20 games. It's far from what we saw last season in terms of execution but we need to remember that it's a long season and that only the best teams will maintain their pace thorough. So... I think it's important to look at the facts :

The team is currently third in the conference.
While playing like crap, they're still 5-3-2 in the last 10 games.

Yeah, I don't like everything Therrien is doing but he gets the job done. It's cool to bash him right now but this team has great chances of making the playoffs.

Old
01-10-2014, 03:10 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

Therrien thinks his coaching is a huge reason why Pk got invited to the olympics

Quote:
«Il s’est appliqué davantage aux détails, a d’abord lancé le pilote du Tricolore. S'il avait continué de jouer comme il l’a fait pendant le premier mois et demi, il ne serait pas allé aux Olympiques. Fiez-vous à moi.»

«Si j’avais gardé les bras croisés et que j’avais fait le bon gars, il n’aurait pas été récompensé avec cette nomination aux Olympiques. Je me serais couché le soir et je me serais dit que je n’ai pas fait mon travail», a-t-il poursuivi.
more at
http://tvasports.ca/hockey/canadiens...retty-10012014
(And josh gorges running his mouth)

What do you guys think? I think Subban could succeed with any good coach and I dont like Therrien trying to get credit

Old
01-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Chfan
HFB Partner

His record is 54-29-10.

With this group of players, I don't think any coach on the market or even in the league would have been better.

Old
01-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
His record is 54-29-10.

With this group of players, I don't think any coach on the market or even in the league would have been better.
check his record with Pittsburgh let us know.

Old
01-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
His record is 54-29-10.

We played well last year. Remember though that we didn't face the West at all last year. That has a lot to do with it.

This year we haven't played well and should be playing a lot better. Yes, our record is great but that's in large part due to Price. We're 28th in 5 on 5 scoring right now and our PP is starting to dry up too.

The GM is only going to look at the record and that's a shame because we're not playing well, esp for the past few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Therrien thinks his coaching is a huge reason why Pk got invited to the olympics
MT should probably be playing defense for Team Canada.

Old
01-10-2014, 03:17 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Could not win a Cup with Crosby and Malkin.........

Old
01-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Chfan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
What's wrong with his record in Pittsburgh?

He will always be an effective short stint coach. His records will always be good until his style wears off, but I don't think we're there just yet.

Old
01-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
What's wrong with his record in Pittsburgh?

He will always be an effective short stint coach. His records will always be good until his style wears off, but I don't think we're there just yet.
the team rolled on Martin quickly...now the players still remember that"style" ..

To get Martin back(Therrien) ,watch what happens after Olympics

Price is playing his heart out for the Olympics spot.

As i said,when he comes back down even to 2.55 goals against ....Sinking ship

So when they do fire Therrien, this team will be no better for it ....and the new coach? he will need another 5 years to rebuild etc....bank it

So what are we doing?

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-10-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Closed Thread