HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Thrashers @ Rangers 1pm MSG

Old
01-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
Just got back from work, I know they lost but can someone give me a quick rundown/recap of what happened. Who scored, how did Henrik play, etc etc. Thanks, if you dont want to type it here you can just pm it to me.
Henrik played great again. The team had no life again. The refs sucked again (but both ways). Renney had stupid lines again. The only surprise from this game was that Jagr actually scored a goal.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:10 PM
crisb

Missed it, but by the looks of it, I don't want to see it. So I hear Henrik had a pretty good game, but I'm also hearing that Krog centered the 2nd line. ***???

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Brendan Shanahan since fighting Brashear:

8 games, 1 goal, 22 shots, 3 Assists, -2. Avg TOI 19:04.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:21 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I dunno, i think his speed certainly is an issue, but i do think his overall game compensates for it.
Can you think of a situation where his speed has been an issue? He has gotten back to defend his own zone before some of the "faster" players in games I've seen. But his overall game is far better than any other center outside of Nylander on this team. I guess considering Cullen as a center he too falls ahead of Immonen, but I feel Immonen could contribute in one way Cullen can't.... setting up his linemates.

And for the comments on his AHL season you have to take into consideration lots of factors including spending time in NY, chemistry with linemates, etc. I'm not saying it's not his fault for producing as he did last season, but talent just doesn't disappear. It's still there and we should attempt to unlock it.

Although that would entail the team having any semblance of confidence in him which they don't seem to have.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Just got back from the game. Wow, that was unenjoyable. Some notes:

Offense looked terrible. Jagr's goal was great - vintage Jaromir, but other than that, it was all fancy passing and shots from the blueline. Why didn't they go in closer to the net and shoot??

Defense was brutal, too. Malik gets worse by the game.

Lundqvist was excellent but the two goals he allowed were awful. How can he stop blazing slapshots by Kovalchuk and a Hossa penalty shot all game long and then give up a dribbler and a shovel pass? Very strange.

Powerplay hit a new low. Couldn't do anything on a 5-on-3, rarely put any pressure on and during two powerplays, they took a penalty about 15 seconds into it that cancelled it out. Although that is partly due to a horribly officiated game. Since I was in the blueseats, I couldn't tell as well as watching on TV, but that penalty shot call looked pathetic.

Overall it was a pretty bad game and reminded me alot of the effort put forth in years prior to last season. I think the all-star break is coming at the right time because this team needs serious help on offense and in alot of other aspects as well. There is no reason this team should be playing the way they are.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Can you think of a situation where his speed has been an issue? He has gotten back to defend his own zone before some of the "faster" players in games I've seen. But his overall game is far better than any other center outside of Nylander on this team. I guess considering Cullen as a center he too falls ahead of Immonen, but I feel Immonen could contribute in one way Cullen can't.... setting up his linemates.

And for the comments on his AHL season you have to take into consideration lots of factors including spending time in NY, chemistry with linemates, etc. I'm not saying it's not his fault for producing as he did last season, but talent just doesn't disappear. It's still there and we should attempt to unlock it.

Although that would entail the team having any semblance of confidence in him which they don't seem to have.
in the preseason, a couple, for sure, but in the regular season, none off the top of my head. but its going to happen. i can live with it though, i think he can be a good player, hes not scared to goto the net, and we need more players like that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:44 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
in the preseason, a couple, for sure, but in the regular season, none off the top of my head. but its going to happen. i can live with it though, i think he can be a good player, hes not scared to goto the net, and we need more players like that.
He's not without his faults, but he is our only option inside the organization at this time who I have any confidence in assuming the role of 2nd line center. Not everyone is going to agree obviously, but there is no reason to hold him out due to "foot speed".... whatever the hell that means.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I'm probably gonna get burned for this, but I don't like Shanny as much as everyone else. I think he's overrated, shoots too much and makes poor decisions with the puck. I've been watching most Rangers games this year, and yeah, hes had some good goals but at the same time I've seen countless times, where he should have dished it but settled for a bad shot from a really awkward angle. I would have preferred a Rucinsky signing, because I think they would have put up similar point totals (Shanny more goals obviously), but I think Jagr would be happier, he'd be the leader hands down, and he'd probably be showing more heart. Also, from what I hear, Jagr and Rucinsky were tight.

Last edited by ChrisKreider20: 01-20-2007 at 05:35 PM.
ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 05:34 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Man, Shanny is pressing. The goal less streak must really be wearing on him. You could tell during the game this afternoon that he had this frustration in him after every missed opportunity, whether it was one of his shots being deflected or blocked, etc. And without a true playmaking center to play with, Shanahan is not getting enough opportunities to score. So when he does get a chance, he has to bury it because it's so rare that he's actually set up for a goal. That's a lot of pressure and no room for error. Otherwise, the Rangers lose.

I can't imagine what the burden must be like on him, Jagr and Marty Straka. To know game in and game out that you have to do all the scoring by yourself because the fifteen other guys on your team almost never score. That's why I was really pleased to see Jagr shooting the way he was today and being so assertive.

It's not like the Rangers are getting blown out like they did last month. One more goal against the Devils and the Rangers get a point and a chance to win it in OT or the shootout, where they've been pretty good. Just one more goal today, and it's the same deal--another opportunity to win it in OT.

I'm not saying I expect the likes of Ward, Hossa, Hollweg and Hall to score 25 goals a piece, but could some of them at least break 10 or 15? I know that it's also their responsibility to play good defensively, but let's face it--these guys spend a lot of time out there against other 3rd and 4th lines. It's not like they're getting matched up against top-pairing defensemen every night. Last time I checked, teams that chose to do so focus on shutting down the Jagr line, not Betts.

And if these guys on the 3rd and 4th lines aren't going to be able to improve their offensive play--and for the majority of them, that seems to be the case--then the Rangers organization has to move on. Allow some youth with untapped potential to at least have a chance to prove that they belong. The current players aren't cutting it and many of them were acquired as placeholders until younger players were ready.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

my guess is, next game the lines are.

Straka Nylander Jagr
Cullen Hollweg Shanahan
etc

hes tried every other center we have there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:37 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
I didnt get to see this one since I went ice skating at my local rink. But can anyone explain why the crappy AHLer Krog is playing on the 2nd line?

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:53 PM
blandBob

I didn't see the game, but I watched some clips of the game on The Sports Network. I certainly can't call what I saw from this game 'highlights'.
Seriously, on the last Thrasher goal, can anyone tell me what Marek Malik was doing behind the net when the play was coming from the point? Really, because I only saw this clip, I can't tell. Did he think he was taking a shortcut to somewhere? It looked to me like he was criminally out of position.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:32 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
I didnt get to see this one since I went ice skating at my local rink. But can anyone explain why the crappy AHLer Krog is playing on the 2nd line?
Because the dart with Krogs face on it landed on the 2nd line area on Renneys dart board.

Thats how he puts then 2-4th lines together. If the slump gets really bad I heard he has resorted in the old fashioned way putting everyones name in a big top hat and then pulling names out.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:43 PM
RAB42

Just got in from the game. It was my first of the season since returning from school and it was certainly a disappointment. This team plays with no fire at all, and I know I'm just repeating every post on here but the Powerplay is god awful, they need to just shoot the damn puck and drive to the net. Malik is getting hard to watch.

I turned to my buddy and told him the game was over in the 3rd when the Rangers called the timeout after getting the 5-on-3. Like expected, they fail to score on the PP, give up a crap goal then have no TO's in the final minutes. Timeouts aren't as important in hockey as other sports but Renney always seems to call them at the wrong times, and then when we need them at the end of the game they're gone.

This team needs a shakeup, whether it's the coach or a trade. I understand they're not cup contenders but it's getting bad.

RAB42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:31 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Just got back from the game. Wow, that was unenjoyable. Some notes:

Offense looked terrible. Jagr's goal was great - vintage Jaromir, but other than that, it was all fancy passing and shots from the blueline. Why didn't they go in closer to the net and shoot??

Defense was brutal, too. Malik gets worse by the game.

Lundqvist was excellent but the two goals he allowed were awful. How can he stop blazing slapshots by Kovalchuk and a Hossa penalty shot all game long and then give up a dribbler and a shovel pass? Very strange.
Powerplay hit a new low. Couldn't do anything on a 5-on-3, rarely put any pressure on and during two powerplays, they took a penalty about 15 seconds into it that cancelled it out. Although that is partly due to a horribly officiated game. Since I was in the blueseats, I couldn't tell as well as watching on TV, but that penalty shot call looked pathetic.

Overall it was a pretty bad game and reminded me alot of the effort put forth in years prior to last season. I think the all-star break is coming at the right time because this team needs serious help on offense and in alot of other aspects as well. There is no reason this team should be playing the way they are.

Didn't see the game, sounds ugly. This is starting to worry me bout Henrik, I mean playing great is great, but if you let it bad goals, you mind as well let in good goals, stop the bad ones, and be an average goalie, IDK, thats just my take on it.

This Malik **** has gone to far. Bench his ***, he's horrible!!!!

If Prucha played on the 4th?, thats a sheer crime.

How did Pock look, was he noticable?

I defended Renney for a long time, but now its over. He's got to go, this team needs a change.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
True Blue

Fletch, wouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Renney doesn't get it. Yes, this team needs more offense from its third and fourth lines, something we've been saying since last season. What he doesn't understand is that the answer isn't putting a guy like Prucha out there to play with fourth liners. He needs third and fourth liners (guys like Hossa, Betts, Hollweg, Ward and Ortmeyers, Callahan (oops)) to score. He really should sit back and watch some games and take note what's wrong, and why it's wrong. Who works well with who and in what role. It's not really that difficult.
simply putting people where they are best set up for success be a start? There is no doubt that Prucha does not belong there. But wouldn't the 3rd line be better suited if Betts was not centering it? Wouldn't the 2nd line be better off without Cullen? That would certainly be a start. He can have a good 4th energy line with Hollweg, Betts & Ortmeyer. He can have a decent 3rd line with Cullen, Ward and give someone like Callahan. That does not solve the 2nd line center issues, but it would make the bottom-2 lines a bit better. I think that as a 3rd liner, Cullen would be fine.

And, it certainly is not shock that Krog did not succeed as a 2nd line center. There is a reason that he was put on waivers. The fact that he is playing on the 2nd line and Prucha is on the 4th is mind-boggling.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 11:17 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Henrik played great again. The team had no life again. The refs sucked again (but both ways). Renney had stupid lines again. The only surprise from this game was that Jagr actually scored a goal.
ditto

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Cullen, Krog, Shanny, Hossa, Betts, Ortmeyer, Prucha, and Hollweg are all playing out of postion..

Cullen should be the 3rd line center

Krog should be a depth guy 4th line center tops

Hossa is probably playing on the right line but is a RW..

Betts is a 4th line center

Prucha is a 2nd line LW

Hollweg is a 4th LW..

4 out of 8 forwards are currently being played in the right role with no end in sight...
B I N G O

Last edited by I Am Chariot: 01-20-2007 at 11:59 PM.
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:35 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
There's always hope. Every year for the last 8 seasons we have gone into the season with hope. The only exception was last season. But this team did not greatly improve over the off season. And other teams in the East got better.

They still had a top heavy offensive team (even if Prucha and Cullen panned out). THey still had offensively devoid third and fourth lines. And they still had a defense corp that did not feature and true #1,#2 or #3 defenseman.
I were thinking the same thing.

I mean, we kind of lost Kaspar who played a big role on this team last season. I'll give this years Ward over last years Kaspar a short edge, but its basically addition by substraction...

Shanahan is clutch, will be really important in tough games. No doubt. But during december/january regular season stroll Rucinsky and Sykora had a big impact. They are pretty talented guys that we didn't bring back, since we belived in the players in our system, both this season, and the kids comming up next season. Both Sykora and Rucinsky wanted longterm contracts.

Cullen have 20 pts in 46 right now, Rucinsky ended up the season over a PPG.

Lundqvist haven't been as stellar as last season.

Not to mention that our 3rd and 4th could be relied allot more on last season, then compared to this. I think Id prefer Isbister over Hall. Its like this team don't feel comfortable with any parts of the team, other then maybe the 1st line. Last year when JJ struggled, even if it were for just a period, we could hang on by playing our 3rd and 4th allot, they never won games but if we were off one period they could keep it close atleast.

Good teams aren't teams that always show up, or keep a even form through out the season. Good teams are teams that win games even if they play bad. If they start with two bad periods, they know that they can keep it close and force it in the 3rd and come away with a win.

I think the biggest reason for this team beeing so extremely shaky is because they know they have to play close to max for 60 minutes to win. That creates allot of pressure and discomfort. We just aren't good enough.

It looks like bad luck at times, or bad attitude at times, or like they just really really suck. Though I think its all results of just comming up short. We are getting really few goals on the rush from the 2nd-4th line. We are getting really few clutch goals. Our PP haven't been special. And on defense, we regulary gives up easy goals because of turnovers, and Lundqvist just don't seems to have the marginals with him.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 08:24 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Just saw the highlights on nhl.com and Rachunek pushing the net over....man what an idiot. This organization is so embarrasing.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 08:48 AM
True Blue

From today's Post

Quote:
"It's been clear the last couple of weeks we need to play a certain way and need certain players to step up," Renney said. "With that in mind, we have to look at the roster.

"Do we have people in the right spots? Do we need something else? Who else can do what [for us] in the organization?"

You'd think the head coach would recognize Petr Prucha surely is not in the right spot playing on the fourth line. You'd think the head coach would never believe in Jason Krog as providing more a solution than Prucha to the second-line problem. Yet yesterday Prucha received 9:27 of ice, his fifth-least of the season; Krog played 11:49.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01212007...rry_brooks.htm

Look at the roster? What clued you in? Playing a 3rd liner and a waiver pickup alongside Shanny? Or was it playing 3 4th liners on the 3rd line? Or maybe having two more on the 4th line? Think about it. After the top line, the most talented line was the 2nd and it featured a 3rd liner and a waiver-level player. So now ask the question about having people in the right spot again, Tom. Your 30 goal scoring rookie is buried on the 4th line, and ahead of him are bubble players and 4th liners. And he is asking about people being in right spots?

Or how about Shanny's ice time, Tom? Didn't you just talk about reducing his PK time so as to lighten his load? Yet, there he was. Nearly 21 total minutes and 2 minutes on the PK. Reality to Tom Renney, don't you think that there was a reason why Shanny played around 16 minutes per game last year? In the last 10 games, he's played over 19 minutes 8 times and over 20 minutes 4 times. And, as a whole, maybe averaging 20.28 minutes per game, is a solid reason why he is in such a drought. We predicted that Shanny would be run into the ground my March. But it actually happened by December. Good solid, management there Tom.

And Shanny also made comments that they do not get enough shots on goal during the PP? Wow. What a shock. Maybe the other coaches have figured out that the same exact PP strategy (and especially the 5 on 3 strategy) has not changed since Jagr decided that getting more shots on goal is not the answer?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:09 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I really didn't like the idea about getting Forsberg because of his injuries, but this team really needs a boost. If we don't have to give up an exorbitant amount, I would consider him.

I'd even consider something w/ St. Louis

If we could get Weight and Rucinsky in the same trade, Jagr would be happy again and we'd have a second line center.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Weight-Prucha
Rucinsky-Cullen-Hossa
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer
Extra: Ward, Krog

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:44 AM
chosen

Look, it's obvious that this team is unbelievably bad. We have four forwards with offensive ability and they are all a few years from retirement. Aside from possibly Prucha, no one is on the horizon.

I can almost accept all of this. What I can't accept is the fact that we have become more boring to watch than the Devils!

Being boring is okay if you are winning. Boring and bad in combination is the worst I've ever seen it here, and I'm talking about a lot of years. I long for the untalented Sator coached teams that at least made an effort.

This is an abomination and the fact that far more here blame Renney than Sather makes me question .....

Never mind. I'd get tossed off the board if I finished that last thought.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote