HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which wingers would you target at the deadline?

View Poll Results: Which wingers would you target?
Drew Stafford 18 15.65%
Matt Moulson 58 50.43%
Martin Erat 5 4.35%
David Booth 4 3.48%
Alex Burrows 14 12.17%
Ales Hemsky 7 6.09%
Thomas Vanek 45 39.13%
Jaromir Jagr 43 37.39%
Lee Stempniak 3 2.61%
Devin Setoguchi 10 8.70%
Scott Hartnell 27 23.48%
Ryan Malone 13 11.30%
RJ Umberger 25 21.74%
Brad Boyes 13 11.30%
Other (who?) 6 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2014, 01:59 PM
  #26
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Delete

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:03 PM
  #27
HatTricK09
Registered User
 
HatTricK09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,411
vCash: 50
Nathan Gerbe

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:03 PM
  #28
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
For a cheap option, David Moss would make sense.

Then Vancouver has a bunch of underachievers this season : Hansen, Burrows and Booth. I'm interested in thoses guys.

Malone and Umberger are exactly what the team need. They could be the difference between a first round exit and a pretty good run.

Tuomo Ruutu is also another option that I don't see listed.

I don't see him available easily, but I would love to get Hornqvist on the Habs.

Maybe Andrew Ladd ? he would be the ideal player, but the Habs will need to pay a premium price.

I have to add Glencross which would be a good pickup.


Last edited by Forsead: 01-04-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:06 PM
  #29
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,277
vCash: 50
Depends entirely if we can drop someone.

Honestly, big fast winger who goes in front of the net would be 100% ideal. He doesn't have to be a sniper or anything special, just a role player to help us fill a need of a net front presence.

Edit:

I'd argue something around

Briere for Erat

&

Bourque for Moss


would be ideal.

Erat-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Moss
Prust-White-Moen
Parros/Bournival

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:14 PM
  #30
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Depends entirely if we can drop someone.

Honestly, big fast winger who goes in front of the net would be 100% ideal. He doesn't have to be a sniper or anything special, just a role player to help us fill a need of a net front presence.

Edit:

I'd argue something around

Briere for Erat

&

Bourque for Moss


would be ideal.

Erat-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Moss
Prust-White-Moen
Parros/Bournival
I like the idea behind getting talent + a big winger, but honestly I would keep Bourque since he was pretty good in the playoffs.

Also, maybe David Jones could be a name thrown around as a big winger.

Stafford is obviously an option that has some merits.


Last edited by Forsead: 01-04-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:17 PM
  #31
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,563
vCash: 500
The right player will cost us big-time. Forget flea-market bargains, we don't need more 4th-line forwards and no combination of Gionta/DD/Bourque/Briere will add up to a top player. To take the next step towards becoming a contender, Montreal needs to be willing to trade a good roster player plus picks plus prospect, to get that coveted top-six forward in return. Or we have to be willing to ante up $6-7M+ for a UFA. Habs need a top-six winger who can score, and there's no other way to get one.

Time to show some balls. Want to trade for someone like Vanek? Want to be a real contender in two/three years? Be prepared to discuss dealing players from among Plekanec, Gallagher, Markov, Eller, Bournival, Budaj, Tinordi, our 1st, whatever. In trades, you usually get what you pay for.

EDIT: Obviously, someone LIKE Vanek as in a top forward, and not necessarily Vanek, depending on contract status.


Last edited by Lshap: 01-04-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:32 PM
  #32
1993
Registered User
 
1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Malone is what we need...
Malone is a 4th liner. Why would we need him???

1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 04:55 PM
  #33
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,535
vCash: 500
Targeting Moulson is a pretty silly idea. The cost will be #1 inflated by the deadline, #2 inflated by the fact that we're division rivals and... #3 He's a UFA that will walk if he doesn't like Therrien's fourth Reich regime.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:11 PM
  #34
DJ Breadman
Registered User
 
DJ Breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,341
vCash: 500
I would target myself, free agent I'm ready to go

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
  #35
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING
 
BLASPHEMOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,514
vCash: 447
I am going to go with none and would rather we be a minor "seller" if possible (nothing drastic, just say move Bourque or Briere or Gionta or whatever). If we pick up someone like Malone in return, then I can live with that, but I do not want to give up future assets as I feel the team's current potential is far too murky to consider trading chips.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
  #36
odishabs
Registered User
 
odishabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,952
vCash: 500
Drew Stafford - for Briere
Matt Moulson
Martin Erat
David Booth
Alex Burrows - for Bourque and a pick
Ales Hemsky
Thomas Vanek
Jaromir Jagr
Lee Stempniak
Devin Setoguchi
Scott Hartnell
Ryan Malone
RJ Umberger
Brad Boyes

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:04 PM
  #37
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,241
vCash: 500
What's make anyone think that Bergevin has the ability to actually make a move?

Guy has done nothing.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
  #38
PsychoticHab
Registered User
 
PsychoticHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
What's make anyone think that Bergevin has the ability to actually make a move?

Guy has done nothing.
Would you care to elaborate your point? I'd hate to dismiss something if I didn't understand what you meant.

PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:20 PM
  #39
CHwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Whatever DD will fetch us.

CHwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:37 PM
  #40
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Would you care to elaborate your point? I'd hate to dismiss something if I didn't understand what you meant.
Pretty clear. MB has done very little, peresonnel wise to improve this team.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:00 AM
  #41
PsychoticHab
Registered User
 
PsychoticHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Pretty clear. MB has done very little, peresonnel wise to improve this team.
So you are saying that he is incapable (physically and mentally) of making a trade? That the concept of making a trade is too complicated for him and is therefore the reason he has not completed any trades outside of the Cole/Ryder deal? That he would be incapable of accomplishing something that even our most historically worst GMs (Houle predominantly but I guess you can include Gainey and Gauthier if you want) were able to do with varying success?

Is that where you were going with this?

Fact of the matter is, we have some bad contracts that are very difficult to unload, especially with the current salary cap. (Bourque and Gionta lead the parade here) You can't force them on people (this isn't NHL 14) and therefore we have to wait some of them out. (At least until the years remaining become more friendly)

We also have a good prospect pool coming up through the ranks and therefore there is no reason to mortgage our future. This is especially true when you consider we have many needs and not a single player could turn the weaknesses this team has around.

Then when you look at players like DD and Briere and they do not really have a position on a full contender team (maybe DD as a 3rd line C). However, they do have space on a rebuilding team keeping some spots warm as our prospects continue to prepare themselves to take over the torch. At that point they can then be moved or out-waited and room can be made.

Finally, for now we have to be careful with players that may want big contracts as we still have some of our cornerstones to sign (Subban, Eller, Chucky, Gally ect.) and can't risk letting any of them go.

In conclusion, your theory has absolutely no basis and is nothing more than calculated agenda or willing ignorance of the situation the Habs are currently in. Teams that build from the inside are the teams that are successful for longer periods of time and this is clearly the plan MB has for MTL.

PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:49 AM
  #42
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 250
Thomas Vanek. If we make the playoffs we might lack goal scoring outside of the Pacioretty line. Put Vanek with Plekanec and Galchenyuk on the left wing and that line will provide some secondary scoring.

PricerStopDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:42 AM
  #43
25get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,742
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
How does that statement need the first part to be true?

Without moving Bourque or Briere there is no point in targeting any of these players as we are already playing against the salary cap. There is no sense in trading Gionta unless someone really wants him as his contract expires at the end of the year and he still brings some positives to the team. (Solid defense and effort)

If we get the opportunity at a "Change of Scenery" type trade, say a "Briere for Stafford or Booth" type deal where both parties are not helping their respective teams and the contracts are similar, then fine do it but otherwise let's not mortgage our future for veteran parts. (Especially loan player)

There's a few names on that list I wouldn't mind seeing in MTL, namely Hartnell, Boyes and Malone, but there is no way their asking prices will not be beyond what is reasonable for us to pay.

We have a good prospect pool (even at winger) so there's no reason to go crazy for a veteran that may not even stay or help us. Not to mention that the off-season cap figures will make it easier to make moves to help the team in the long run.
Habs have 9M of cap space at trade deadline.
If you complain about truth, you need to validate your facts.
We have 4M cap space right now.

25get is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:57 AM
  #44
PsychoticHab
Registered User
 
PsychoticHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 853
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Habs have 9M of cap space at trade deadline.
If you complain about truth, you need to validate your facts.
We have 4M cap space right now.
Please pardon my mistake as we do technically have $9M to spend but regardless, unless the contract is expiring (or if it is a small contract from a depth player), we will eventually be in cap hell anyway. (Just later than sooner) We'd be throwing parts away which a very unlikely to be underachieving veterans for player(s) that we probably won't be able to hold onto anyway. That or our current players who need a new contract will not be able to resign.

Either way, the point I was making is that there is no reason to throw away the future for a veteran that will not get us a cup this year anyway.

Edit: Also, how was my comment at all a complaint about truth? I was simply asking if the statement that "the Habs need help on the wing" needed the mention of Briere and Bourque on their way out to be true or if it stood on its own as a statement irregardless of what happens to those two. It's not impossible that MB could find a taker for either but value would be very low for obvious reasons.


Last edited by PsychoticHab: 01-05-2014 at 03:06 AM.
PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:46 AM
  #45
Spearmint Rhino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Emerson Etem

We aren't good enough where a rental will put us over the top and not interested in wasting cap space on anymore overpaid underachievers

Prefer to deal veteran assets to contenders for high end prospects that'll be around in 2-3 yrs

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:59 AM
  #46
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
I know it's the regular season, but...

What IF...Bourque and/or Briere end up 2014 playoff heroes????
(Bourque was among our top 2-3 forwards in last year's short playoffs...imo or not imo...fact!).

Briere was a HUGE playoff hero (as a CENTER) not so long ago.
(not defending Briere...just pointing it out!).







p.s.: Which DEFENSEMAN/MEN would you target????
(is the thread we really need...imo).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:53 AM
  #47
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
So you are saying that he is incapable (physically and mentally) of making a trade? That the concept of making a trade is too complicated for him and is therefore the reason he has not completed any trades outside of the Cole/Ryder deal? That he would be incapable of accomplishing something that even our most historically worst GMs (Houle predominantly but I guess you can include Gainey and Gauthier if you want) were able to do with varying success?

Is that where you were going with this?

Fact of the matter is, we have some bad contracts that are very difficult to unload, especially with the current salary cap. (Bourque and Gionta lead the parade here) You can't force them on people (this isn't NHL 14) and therefore we have to wait some of them out. (At least until the years remaining become more friendly)

We also have a good prospect pool coming up through the ranks and therefore there is no reason to mortgage our future. This is especially true when you consider we have many needs and not a single player could turn the weaknesses this team has around.

Then when you look at players like DD and Briere and they do not really have a position on a full contender team (maybe DD as a 3rd line C). However, they do have space on a rebuilding team keeping some spots warm as our prospects continue to prepare themselves to take over the torch. At that point they can then be moved or out-waited and room can be made.

Finally, for now we have to be careful with players that may want big contracts as we still have some of our cornerstones to sign (Subban, Eller, Chucky, Gally ect.) and can't risk letting any of them go.

In conclusion, your theory has absolutely no basis and is nothing more than calculated agenda or willing ignorance of the situation the Habs are currently in. Teams that build from the inside are the teams that are successful for longer periods of time and this is clearly the plan MB has for MTL.
C-

See me after class.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:28 AM
  #48
Sam I Am
Registered User
 
Sam I Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
Emerson Etem

We aren't good enough where a rental will put us over the top and not interested in wasting cap space on anymore overpaid underachievers

Prefer to deal veteran assets to contenders for high end prospects that'll be around in 2-3 yrs
Uh, sure. But Etem is a blue-chip prospect who is 21-years-old. Why would Anaheim trade him?

The only reason I could see is to acquire a piece to help them in their drive for the cup right now. But the Ducks are pretty stacked at every position.

Who on the Canadiens' roster can help them over the top?

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:36 AM
  #49
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
I love these polls because people punch their box before taking into consideration the cost to get these players.

Bourque and Briere are unmovable everyone needs to let that sink in first.

So then you're back to trading your Beaulieu, Thomas, Tinordi types along with valuable (1st, 2nd round) picks to get what? A rental player and the hope of resigning them.

Count me out on that. Patience is what I am looking for from Bergevin not more of the incompetence we've seen from his predecessors.

Stay the course.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:45 AM
  #50
Bacchus1
Registered User
 
Bacchus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
So, anyone missing Cole at this point? We essentially traded Cole of Briere! I'd take Cole back in a heart beat. He was dazed by the lock out, but is a tough, hard hitting winger who pots some goals. We are missing size in our top six, and he has size!

I'm personally hoping that we sell near the end, get rid of some diminutive players, and collect draft picks/prospects for next year. No matter what our record indicates, I see our team, at the moment, as serendipitously winning gaining points in ways we don't deserve. I hope Bergevin is the guy who steers us through, but I had the same hope for Gainey who lost us Beauchemin and McDonough, which would have given us the top D in the league!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.