HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Start Talbot on a consistent basis

Old
01-04-2014, 09:50 PM
McD27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Twist it any way you want, you can't say much against this:

If he keeps this up, we have a $59 mio problem

McD27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD27 View Post
If he keeps this up, we have a $59 mio problem
If he keeps this up we trade Talbot for scoring help. It's a positive.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 09:58 PM
McD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If he keeps this up we trade Talbot for scoring help. It's a positive.
I'm with the sell high crowd..just not sure which one

McD27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Hariken

Honestly, just start Talbot until he has two bad games in a row.

Hariken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:03 PM
NYRangers723

Honestly i hope Hank watches Talbot during the games. Talbots rebound control and his stick are pretty good. i feel part of Hank's problems is that he lets too many pucks loose in front of the net

NYRangers723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Team seems more relaxed in front Cam.. less front of the net errors.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
Honestly i hope Hank watches Talbot during the games. Talbots rebound control and his stick are pretty good. i feel part of Hank's problems is that he lets too many pucks loose in front of the net
My memory isnt the best, but i dont think that was a factor in a single one of the Pens goals yesterday (weird bounces and redirections galore in that game).

No matter how you look at it, the Rangers have been a different team in front of Talbot. And that is not because Talbot is a better goalie.

I dont think anyone, least of all the coaching staff, has any real clue as to why the Rangers looked "dead" yesterday, yet looked like they'd all snorted a kilo of meth today.

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:21 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

There's a rumor floating around that Sather has Tortarella do a video teleconference with the team on days Talbot starts, while Vigneault runs the ship on days Henrik starts.

Vigneault is the reason Henrik is terrible this year. Vigneault has absolutely nothing to do with Talbot's success.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
There's a rumor floating around that Sather has Tortarella do a video teleconference with the team on days Talbot starts, while Vigneault runs the ship on days Henrik starts.

Vigneault is the reason Henrik is terrible this year. Vigneault has absolutely nothing to do with Talbot's success.

Talbot was always phenomenally talented, but he played behind some God-awful teams, making him look worse than what he was. All of his teammates in Alabama are out of hockey by now. They were on par with the guys you'd play at the Brooklyn Aviator or the Staten Island Pavilion with. Yet, he almost beat Miami-Ohio in the playoffs when they were the #1 ranked team. He did it almost all by himself, just shutting down star college players and they fired from every angle without much defense in their way.

In Hartford, it didn't get much better. Those who don't watch the AHL just don't understand how bad the defensive breakdowns were. There were 10-12 minute periods when the team would just quit on Talbot. Usually it would happen in the third period as they ran out of gas. He'd face one breakaway after another, which was the easy part. On top of that, they would pass perfectly on the opponent's stick who was standing all alone inside the hash marks. Oh and did I mention him playing like 30 games in a row because neither Miss nor Stajcer knows how to play hockey?

Had Talbot played on a better team, he'd have had just dominant stats. His .918 SV% in Hartford would've been .950% on a different team, but it's hard to have phenomenal stats when you are facing 6-8 shots every game from 2-5 feet away without anyone helping defend, and the rest of the game, it's one blunder after another.

Talbot has always been a very talented goalie, but he occasionally gave up WTF goals. I guess I now know why: it's not that easy to always stop perfectly concentrated when you are facing such a barrage of scoring chances. Eventually, you'll let something in and everyone will blame you for it.

But this year, I don't think he gave up a single WTF goal in either the AHL or the NHL.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

rangers dont play nearly as well in front of henrik as they do in front of Talbot...

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
rangers dont play nearly as well in front of henrik as they do in front of Talbot...
You can say that, but that still doesn't make up the difference between .938 and .905

01-04-2014, 10:47 PM
NYRangers723

Quote:

Again cant make excuses for Hank. He hasnt been sharp. he has only had a handful of really good games which isnt a good sign for a guy who is getting paid as a top goaltender in the nhl

Old
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
You can say that, but that still doesn't make up the difference between .938 and .905
It absolutely does. It's day and night.

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I could care less who is playing better at the moment, I'm just glad the guy is winning us games.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quality...it does make a difference. Talbot isnt seeing near the degree of difficulty as Henrik is.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Quality...it does make a difference. Talbot isnt seeing near the degree of difficulty as Henrik is.
Not that it helps with goalies numbers a whole lot, but offensive support helps too.

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 11:36 PM
NYRangers723

Quote:
Im as big of Hank fan as you are but i have to be fair he hasnt looked good. He has had a few really good games but not nearly enough

Old
01-04-2014, 11:41 PM
KasparsHipCheck

Considering this is the year of the "backup goalie", coupled with the fact that AV seems to like a 2 goalie system, I think it's in the Rangers best interest to keep going with their goalie shuffle. Hank hasn't been consistent this year, my theory since the beginning of the year is that he is still burned out from being overplayed last year in the sprint short season and exhausting playoffs. Even though the Rangers didn't make it past the B's, they didn't stop playing hockey until June, so the short summer hurt Hank.
Hanks game has been coming together lately if you exclude the Pens game, so I'd play him a game or two, then no matter what start Talbot. The team tightens up their loose and sloppy play with the kid in net.
With every other team seemingly playing 2 goalies due to injury or by design, it doesn't hurt the Rangers chances of making the playoffs in any way. I've been ticked that they are hovering around .500 all season, but in the Eastern Conference the teams that would be in the playoffs (if they started today) are only a few games above .500. The last spot in the Metro division and the wildcard spots aren't out of the question. At least the Rangers are one of the teams blessed with a good backup where they can play the goalie shuffle and still actually (miraculously) be in the playoff hunt.

KasparsHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:20 AM
jfc64

If Talbot is outplaying Hank his trade value should be that of a lowpriced commodity being a stellar product for 8 years.

And if Hank get 8.5 million a year his downside is 6.

6 < HxAxNxK < 10

My theory is the Rangers defense takes into account Talbot is a AHL goalie.

PS. When Rangers sucked Lundqvist was on par with Ryan Miller's save %, 0.920. Talbot has a long way ahead of him to become the new Craig Andersson.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:32 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Quote:
They play man in front of both, but the wrinkle is the man D is fronting the opposing forwards with Hank, that would allow a quicker breakouts.
With Talbot it's man D but the D is behind the forwards to clear the crease and allow Talbot to track the puck better.

This is taking nothing away from Talbot who has played well.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:13 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

This is the first time since Richter/Healy that I've felt equally as confident when either goalie is playing.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Twist it any way you want, you can't say much against this:

1.66gaa, 6 games over .500 for a team thats 1game over, pretty impressive, at this point where would we be w/o him

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Still think Talbot is a bit of a sugar high for this team. But hey, they play better when hes starting, might as well ride that out as long as you can. Unfortunately, I think that'll regress at some point.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Based on what? Perhaps Henriks atrocious play makes the Rangers look worse.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Based on what? Perhaps Henriks atrocious play makes the Rangers look worse.
I'd like to think you're smarter than that. Let me know the last time they scored 7 goals for Lundqvist.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote