HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Thread Part XI: New year...no trades.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2014, 04:29 AM
  #251
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Wow looking at the standings, the Islanders were really smart to protect the first they sent in the Vanek trade if it was a top 10 pick. Buffalo could have ended up with the top two picks in the draft.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 05:53 AM
  #252
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Girardi and Callahan become problems when you're paying them for the next 6-7 years. Look at them now and project their play in 6-7 years. That's the issue. Callahan missed nearly 4 weeks with the knee but he looks to be a shell of the player he was. It can't be all about the rest of this season. Gorton becomes the GM or any GM in his position(Slats will be 71 this year) and he needs to be given 5 years to win the Cup. Its not an overnight process. You will never get there if its all about this year. 5 year plan. Sather has had 14 years. If there is a succession plan in place and I'm Gorton,I would have major impact on what moves are made going forward. More than usual. He was involved with the Lundqvist talks. The contract talks are his job. Stepan and Lundqvist were always at the top of the list. I got the feeling it was we'll get to the other guys later. Those guys aren't signed and its January. There was some disagreement on Richards. Louie Jean reported that. The front office was split on keeping him for this season. Sather wanted to keep him. Glen said Richards was distracted because he negotiated the CBA. The Rangers amnesty him in June and its no longer a problem. Signing a player long-term becomes Gorton's problem.

Quote:
After losing defenceman Dennis Seidenberg for the balance of the season with a knee injury, the Bruins have insisted they will try to fill from within. If that doesn’t happen, they could kick tires looking for a blueliner to help them fill the minutes. The Bruins could certainly look at Rangers defenceman Dan Girardi. He has been shopped around because New York Rangers GM Glen Sather is concerned he won’t be able to re-sign Girardi, who is a UFA on July 1
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/04/...ng-much-sooner

You can't let the player leave for nothing.

Quote:
Michael Del Zotto was a surprise insertion into the lineup, replacing Conor Allen. It is not known if the match represented a showcase for the defenseman. Neither is it known whether general manager Glen Sather chatted with Del Zotto’s agents, who were in the house, but there was no formal meeting.

The Maple Leafs have expressed previous interest in Del Zotto, but both Jake Gardiner and Cody Franson, the Toronto defensemen who’d been mentioned as potential parties of the other part, had dreadful games and do not excite the Rangers as return in a potential trade.
http://nypost.com/2014/01/04/rangers...-guy-carcillo/

Gardiner was really good playing for Ron Wilson. The total opposite under Randy Carlyle.

Who excites the Rangers as a potential return? Anyone?

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 06:03 AM
  #253
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Girardi and Callahan become problems when you're paying them for the next 6-7 years. Look at them now and project their play in 6-7 years. That's the issue. Callahan missed nearly 4 weeks with the knee but he looks to be a shell of the player he was. It can't be all about the rest of this season. Gorton becomes the GM or any GM in his position(Slats will be 71 this year) and he needs to be given 5 years to win the Cup. Its not an overnight process. You will never get there if its all about this year. 5 year plan. Sather has had 14 years. If there is a succession plan in place and I'm Gorton,I would have major impact on what moves are made going forward. More than usual. He was involved with the Lundqvist talks. The contract talks are his job. Stepan and Lundqvist were always at the top of the list. I got the feeling it was we'll get to the other guys later. Those guys aren't signed and its January. There was some disagreement on Richards. Louie Jean reported that. The front office was split on keeping him for this season. Sather wanted to keep him. Glen said Richards was distracted because he negotiated the CBA. The Rangers amnesty him in June and its no longer a problem. Signing a player long-term becomes Gorton's problem.
That is the issue that most of us in favor of moving Girardi and Callahan are most concerned about. If Girardi is willing to take a 4-year, $21 million deal, sign me up, since I think you'll get 3 solid years before that deal becomes an albatross. But, if you are not going sign either player, deal them and don't waste an asset. Because when both players hit the open market someone will be foolish enough to throw a Wideman/Clarkson deal in their direction.

The fact that Gorton is handling contracts, and the fact that neither deal is done gives me hope that Gorton does understand the issues at hand, and why I believe both players could be dealt if nothing is done by the deadline, regardless of where the Rangers are in the standings.

jas is online now  
Old
01-05-2014, 06:46 AM
  #254
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Girardi and Callahan become problems when you're paying them for the next 6-7 years. Look at them now and project their play in 6-7 years. That's the issue. Callahan missed nearly 4 weeks with the knee but he looks to be a shell of the player he was. It can't be all about the rest of this season. Gorton becomes the GM or any GM in his position(Slats will be 71 this year) and he needs to be given 5 years to win the Cup. Its not an overnight process. You will never get there if its all about this year. 5 year plan. Sather has had 14 years. If there is a succession plan in place and I'm Gorton,I would have major impact on what moves are made going forward. More than usual. He was involved with the Lundqvist talks. The contract talks are his job. Stepan and Lundqvist were always at the top of the list. I got the feeling it was we'll get to the other guys later. Those guys aren't signed and its January. There was some disagreement on Richards. Louie Jean reported that. The front office was split on keeping him for this season. Sather wanted to keep him. Glen said Richards was distracted because he negotiated the CBA. The Rangers amnesty him in June and its no longer a problem. Signing a player long-term becomes Gorton's problem.



http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/04/...ng-much-sooner

You can't let the player leave for nothing.



http://nypost.com/2014/01/04/rangers...-guy-carcillo/

Gardiner was really good playing for Ron Wilson. The total opposite under Randy Carlyle.

Who excites the Rangers as a potential return? Anyone?
Wasn't it just the other day that Brooks (or maybe it was someone else) said that the Rangers brass is extremely high on Franson?

Mats Zuccarelli is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 07:20 AM
  #255
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Girardi and Callahan become problems when you're paying them for the next 6-7 years. Look at them now and project their play in 6-7 years. That's the issue. Callahan missed nearly 4 weeks with the knee but he looks to be a shell of the player he was. It can't be all about the rest of this season. Gorton becomes the GM or any GM in his position(Slats will be 71 this year) and he needs to be given 5 years to win the Cup. Its not an overnight process. You will never get there if its all about this year. 5 year plan. Sather has had 14 years. If there is a succession plan in place and I'm Gorton,I would have major impact on what moves are made going forward. More than usual. He was involved with the Lundqvist talks. The contract talks are his job. Stepan and Lundqvist were always at the top of the list. I got the feeling it was we'll get to the other guys later. Those guys aren't signed and its January. There was some disagreement on Richards. Louie Jean reported that. The front office was split on keeping him for this season. Sather wanted to keep him. Glen said Richards was distracted because he negotiated the CBA. The Rangers amnesty him in June and its no longer a problem. Signing a player long-term becomes Gorton's problem.



http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/04/...ng-much-sooner

You can't let the player leave for nothing.



http://nypost.com/2014/01/04/rangers...-guy-carcillo/

Gardiner was really good playing for Ron Wilson. The total opposite under Randy Carlyle.

Who excites the Rangers as a potential return? Anyone?
Slightly off topic, but what's your personal opinion regarding Sather's future? Do you think he steps down after this season?

beastly115 is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 08:26 AM
  #256
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
The Rangers don't have the depth to trade Girardi at the deadline for picks or whatever. They need to re-sign him and keep him a Ranger.

I love Callahan, but his trade value might be higher than whatever contract he ends up signing. He's injury prone and seems to be hurt every year when it matters most.

Girardi has to be the priority.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 08:31 AM
  #257
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,032
vCash: 50
I demand a title change, as clearly, there has been a trade

__________________
Tanner Glass is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 09:05 AM
  #258
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Handicap spot
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 504
If we could get Gardiner for Del Zotto that trade should've been made the instant it was available.

Blue Blooded is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 09:14 AM
  #259
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post
Wasn't it just the other day that Brooks (or maybe it was someone else) said that the Rangers brass is extremely high on Franson?
That was Darren Dreger.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 09:16 AM
  #260
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
The Rangers don't have the depth to trade Girardi at the deadline for picks or whatever. They need to re-sign him and keep him a Ranger.

I love Callahan, but his trade value might be higher than whatever contract he ends up signing. He's injury prone and seems to be hurt every year when it matters most.

Girardi has to be the priority.
How much?

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 09:18 AM
  #261
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How much?
He's going to get atleast 5 million. If they can get a good young rd and top pick I trade him

I prefer keeping Callahan if he goes for 6 yr and 5 per . A lot of fans don't but he is not clarkson he's better than him

Vitto79 is online now  
Old
01-05-2014, 09:25 AM
  #262
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,833
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Slightly off topic, but what's your personal opinion regarding Sather's future? Do you think he steps down after this season?
Why would he?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 09:44 AM
  #263
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
He's going to get atleast 5 million. If they can get a good young rd and top pick I trade him

I prefer keeping Callahan if he goes for 6 yr and 5 per . A lot of fans don't but he is not clarkson he's better than him
Better than Clarkson, yes. Worth giving a long term contract? Probably not.

__________________
Ail is online now  
Old
01-05-2014, 09:55 AM
  #264
Graves94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
Trading Girardi and/or Callahan at this stage is really a tough call for the organization.

They're still very much in the race for a playoff spot, and in all likelyhood will be until the trade deadline. Trading these guys will send the message to the rest of the team that, they don't believe in their chances of making any noise in the playoffs, even if they made it (which is what will happen).

I'm all for trading both these guys, especially Callahan, since I really don't think he will be worth the money and term he'll be asking (and getting). Girardi OTOH, I think we really need to determine who will eat up his minutes and is ready and able to step in and play against the other teams top lines. If its from within (McI), is he ready? No, he's not obviously, so we'll need to live with the growing pains. I'm ready, and I think most of us are, but is Sather, AV, Nash...???

Therefore, the question becomes and as always, do we go for it now/soon or not? Replacing Girardi with another FA, and throwing crazy money doesn't make sense, and should not be the course we take. I suggest offering a 7yr, $5.5M/yr deal, but with a NO, NTC. I'm sure he'll be worth it for the first 2-3 yrs of the deal, and when McI is ready we can look to deal Girardi, even if the return will be less.

Just my 2 cents.

Graves94 is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 10:05 AM
  #265
Lundqvist 30 NY
Registered User
 
Lundqvist 30 NY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
So how do we feel that the Rangers supposedly have interest in Gaborik along with the Habs and Kings? This is also coming from Eklund, so..
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...easing/1/56933

Lundqvist 30 NY is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 10:09 AM
  #266
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
If I were the Oilers, I'd be drooling over Girardi and/or Callahan. Either one of them would be exactly with the they need. Edm has several players that I think are somewhat redundant, and would look great in Ranger uniforms.

I just don't see anything happening between the two teams.

beef 4 lunch is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 10:19 AM
  #267
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
If I were the Oilers, I'd be drooling over Girardi and/or Callahan. Either one of them would be exactly with the they need. Edm has several players that I think are somewhat redundant, and would look great in Ranger uniforms.

I just don't see anything happening between the two teams.
The problem is that which of Callahan and/or Girardi is going to want to sign a long-term deal in Edmonton?

jas is online now  
Old
01-05-2014, 10:21 AM
  #268
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The problem is that which of Callahan and/or Girardi is going to want to sign a long-term deal in Edmonton?
Neither. Although I think either one of them would do very well on that team.

beef 4 lunch is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 10:50 AM
  #269
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much
 
LotsOfHags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
How about we get the Staal brothers to come here instead of trading Marc to the Hurricanes?

LotsOfHags is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 11:28 AM
  #270
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How much?
why is it an issue to pay him.. every team around the league is signing their core guys up

do you want getz/perry cap when hes 34-36yrs old..

zeterberg is 33 and hes sign till hes in his early 40s..

sedins are 34 and signed till their late 30s

dion just signed a 7year deal taking him to 36

the point is every contract is a risk, but if you dont pay your not going to easily replace what you lost..

why is it an issue to pay our home grown guys what they deserve.. take that over payment as what shouldve been given to Mcd..

the second girardi isn't on this team is the time you wish he never left.. he is not replaceable.. top pairing RHD do not come available often and are impossible to make up for what he brings..

a younger guy is not going to be as sound as G is..

5yr-30m

or 6yr-33m

or 7-35 and call it a day..

we dont sign him we will and you can almost expect to over pay even more on FA and not even get the same production back.. hes a warrior and id take on my team any day..


then this time next year we'll see new threads pop up the same as dubi and prust leaving..i really dont get it..

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 11:38 AM
  #271
NYR2047
Moderator
WebMD Trained Doctor
 
NYR2047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,691
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
why is it an issue to pay him.. every team around the league is signing their core guys up

do you want getz/perry cap when hes 34-36yrs old..

zeterberg is 33 and hes sign till hes in his early 40s..

sedins are 34 and signed till their late 30s

dion just signed a 7year deal taking him to 36

the point is every contract is a risk, but if you dont pay your not going to easily replace what you lost..

why is it an issue to pay our home grown guys what they deserve.. take that over payment as what shouldve been given to Mcd..

the second girardi isn't on this team is the time you wish he never left.. he is not replaceable.. top pairing RHD do not come available often and are impossible to make up for what he brings..

a younger guy is not going to be as sound as G is..

5yr-30m

or 6yr-33m

or 7-35 and call it a day..

we dont sign him we will and you can almost expect to over pay even more on FA and not even get the same production back.. hes a warrior and id take on my team any day..


then this time next year we'll see new threads pop up the same as dubi and prust leaving..i really dont get it..
The difference between Zetterberg, the Sedins, and maybe Perry(don't follow him enough) is that they don't play shut a black and blue role, tying up Girardi and Callahan for such long term contracts the Rangers could end up with another Drury situation.

NYR2047 is online now  
Old
01-05-2014, 11:56 AM
  #272
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2047 View Post
The difference between Zetterberg, the Sedins, and maybe Perry(don't follow him enough) is that they don't play shut a black and blue role, tying up Girardi and Callahan for such long term contracts the Rangers could end up with another Drury situation.
injuries are part of the game..

malkin is hurt every other week and misses half the season..

zetterberg is constantly hurt

bergeron/krecji are constantly missing time

kesler is constantly hurt

injuries are hockey and the style they play sucks for fans bc they put their bodies on the line and will miss time..

im just saying rangers never take care of their own.. they always make things difficult.. and want the next best thing instead of building a team and keeping a team together for a long time.. with the cap raising paying someone 4m this year is like 6m next year and the coming years will only increase the cap and players AAVs will rise even more.. wait till stamkos deal bet it will be 10m AAV..

they are always willing to over pay someone more outside the org then in the org and its wrong..

sign players as best you can under market value or close to and everyone wins.. these guys are heart and sole players why not pay them for their services

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 11:56 AM
  #273
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2047 View Post
The difference between Zetterberg, the Sedins, and maybe Perry(don't follow him enough) is that they don't play shut a black and blue role, tying up Girardi and Callahan for such long term contracts the Rangers could end up with another Drury situation.
If we give Callahan that money it will absolutely be a Drury situation. They're the same player. Drury was a bigger scorer than Cally before we paid him. Cally misses 10-20 games every year with injuries already. We will end up hating Cally before his extension is up. Stepan is like a more skilled, less gritty Callahan as well.

Girardi is a different story. He will slow down and become a middle pairing RHD and not the top pairing guy but he will still be serviceable and a good leader/mentor for young D we bring in/develop over the years. He never misses games, or even shifts, with injuries and I don't think he'll suddenly break down and become injury prone. Even if he starts missing 2-5 every year, that's nothing; significantly less than Callahan has missed very year already. He'll be reliable for top four minutes for another 5 years, I have little doubt.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-05-2014, 11:58 AM
  #274
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
why is it an issue to pay him.. every team around the league is signing their core guys up

do you want getz/perry cap when hes 34-36yrs old..

zeterberg is 33 and hes sign till hes in his early 40s..

sedins are 34 and signed till their late 30s

dion just signed a 7year deal taking him to 36

the point is every contract is a risk, but if you dont pay your not going to easily replace what you lost..

why is it an issue to pay our home grown guys what they deserve.. take that over payment as what shouldve been given to Mcd..

the second girardi isn't on this team is the time you wish he never left.. he is not replaceable.. top pairing RHD do not come available often and are impossible to make up for what he brings..

a younger guy is not going to be as sound as G is..

5yr-30m

or 6yr-33m

or 7-35 and call it a day..

we dont sign him we will and you can almost expect to over pay even more on FA and not even get the same production back.. hes a warrior and id take on my team any day..


then this time next year we'll see new threads pop up the same as dubi and prust leaving..i really dont get it..
lol

The only comparable player in your list to either Callahan or Girardi is Dion Phaneuf.

If we were talking about Getzlaf, Perry, Zetterberg or the Sedins, they would have been signed already.

Just because they were/are part of the "core" (which seems to change on a whim thanks to Sather's ingenious team construction and ideals) doesn't mean they are worth giving long term contracts.

Ail is online now  
Old
01-05-2014, 12:01 PM
  #275
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
If we give Callahan that money it will absolutely be a Drury situation. They're the same player. Drury was a bigger scorer than Cally before we paid him. Cally misses 10-20 games every year with injuries already. We will end up hating Cally before his extension is up. Stepan is like a more skilled, less gritty Callahan as well.

Girardi is a different story. He will slow down and become a middle pairing RHD and not the top pairing guy but he will still be serviceable and a good leader/mentor for young D we bring in/develop over the years. He never misses games, or even shifts, with injuries and I don't think he'll suddenly break down and become injury prone. Even if he starts missing 2-5 every year, that's nothing; significantly less than Callahan has missed very year already. He'll be reliable for top four minutes for another 5 years, I have little doubt.
totally agree, my comments above are more geared to g as well.. I want him around for the rest of his career.. bc hes not replaceable for what he brings..

and in terms of callahan i want him, but i wouldnt pay him the long term as i would g.. to me we have other leaders on the team that can bring that skill set to their roles like g, staal, even stepan

dethomas07 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.