Notices

Irmen

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2004, 06:50 PM
ceber

vCash: 500
Irmen

Anyone catch the two games the Gophers had against BU this weekend? Pretty fun stuff. I watched Friday's game this morning. Kinda sloppy, but entertaining nonetheless. Tonight's game was better by far, I thought, although it also ended in a 5-5 tie.
The no-touch icing and long breakout passes make for a nice change of pace from the NHL, IMO.
Anyway, back on topic, I think Irmen is really looking pretty good for a freshman. He had a goal tonight, maybe one the goalie would want another shot at, but it was a pretty decent goal still. What I like best about him is his sparkplug attitude though. Really seems to like to get his nose into the play and make things happen. I'm eager to see what he turns into in a couple more seasons.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:56 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
I have partial season tickets to the gophs so i get to see play live often. He is a hard nosed grinder. Reminds me of Adam Deadmarsh. Will finish checks if we are up by 4 or down by 4 at any time during the game. As far as strength goes he is big in front, when Potulny is not out there he sets up camp in front of the net. And he is hard to move, holds his own well. Plays both PK and PP. I think Lucia is about the opposite of Lemaire. Lucia exepts offense out of his guys, but like Lemaire he is not affraid to sit guys, he's done to most every gopher(Potulny, Taffe, Harrington included) I think Irman has yet to miss a game. Not bad for a fresh. Also this week end he played between Riddle and Koalska, thats were Vanek usually plays. The coaches have confidence in this guy, and he has captain written all over him too. He has a nack for not getting all on his shots, when he connects its buried but right now he does not have a goal scorers shot. At times he looks out of control, does not take bad penalties but will over skate or fan on passes, needs to settle a bit and relax. But the potential is there.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Goldy

Your assessment of Irmen is pretty good, especially the comparison to Deadmarsh. Irmen is gritty, physical, always in motion, and a pest. He has contributed quite nicely as a freshman.

My only exception to your comment is about Lucia sitting players - as far as forwards go, he doesn't have many extras to use. Ryan Potulny is out for the year, and Jerrid Reinholtz has been injured a good part of the year. This has left only Brett McKinnon as an available backup on many nights. Unlike in the NHL, there is no minor leagues or free agency to just pluck a guy off the street midseason. Historically, Lucia has substituted players more freely in the first half of the season (like he is doing with his defensement this year).

Old
01-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy
Historically, Lucia has substituted players more freely in the first half of the season (like he is doing with his defensement this year).

You mean like having Andy Sertich play defence?

P.S. I'll try and have game notes on the Saturday game up very soon over on the NCAA boards.

Question: Was the Redlihs' hit on Potulny in the Friday game dirty ? (no, this isn't meant to be a stupid question, but rather I'd like you guys' take on it).

Old
01-06-2004, 05:02 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick

P.S. I'll try and have game notes on the Saturday game up very soon over on the NCAA boards.

Question: Was the Redlihs' hit on Potulny in the Friday game dirty ? (no, this isn't meant to be a stupid question, but rather I'd like you guys' take on it).
I deleted my copy of the game. Can you refresh my memory of that one? 'Course, if I don't remember it, I probably didn't think it was all that offensive.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:29 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
With regards to Lucia sitting people. I mean it more like missing shifts, or sitting the third period. I see him out there all the time. I meant it more like the coaches have confidence to play him in every situation, even in the third on a PK in a tie game or up by one. But Joey Martin can play forward, Sertich played D in a pinch and who knows if another Chad Roberg will pop up. If Lucia wants to shake things up he will.

And as far as the hit on Potulny. It was rough for a college hit. He was about 3 feet from the boards and when he hit he went head first. I dont know about a match pen, but major yes. Potulny turned to protect the puck and the guy did not hold up, but he did not finish the check as hard as i think he could have.

Last edited by MN_Gopher: 01-07-2004 at 01:01 AM.
Old
01-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Goldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Sertich only played defense for a couple of games when both Ballard and Harrington were hurt. Lucia put Sertich back on defense because the other defensemen were struggling getting the puck out of the zone. Once Ballard and Harrington came back, the defense was solidified and Sertich returned to forward.

The defensemen that are regularly being rotated are Kennedy and Vannelli. Occasionally Atherton has a day off, but he has been pretty much a regular over the last month or so.

Old
01-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Goldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher

And as far as the hit on Potulny. It was rough for a college hit. He was about 3 feet from the boards and when he hit he went head first. I dont know about a match pen, but major yes. Potulny turned to protect the puck and the guy did not hold up, but he did not finish the check as hard as i think he could have.
In college hockey, checking from behind into the boards is an automatic major and a game misconduct. It is not a subjective call.

Old
01-26-2004, 05:21 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Anybody see the Gophers and UND over the weekend? I didn't see Fridays game, but Irmen had a hell of a game on Saturday. Jumped into the play well.. He had one of the 2 goals. He played alot on the PP. He also got alot of time with Vanek on the first line in the 2nd and 3rd periods. He now leads the Gopher freshmen with 6 goals.

Anybody else see him play?

Old
01-26-2004, 05:54 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCoN
Anybody see the Gophers and UND over the weekend? I didn't see Fridays game, but Irmen had a hell of a game on Saturday. Jumped into the play well.. He had one of the 2 goals. He played alot on the PP. He also got alot of time with Vanek on the first line in the 2nd and 3rd periods. He now leads the Gopher freshmen with 6 goals.

Anybody else see him play?
Yeah, I watched both games. Gotta admit I didn't spend a lot of time trying to watch Irmen, but he definitely got mentioned a bit. I think Woog and Whatsisname (can never remember his name.. I can see his face, hear his voice.. just can't find the name) seem pretty high on Irmen. I think he had a little more trouble than usual just because of the size of UND, but he still seemed to play his game. His goal was a little flukey, but heck, a goal's a goal, and it's not like he didn't put it in on his own. Froze the goalie pretty nicely, with the accidental move.

Seems like he's definitely doing pretty well as a freshman. How old is he? Did he spend the year after high-school in Des Moines (was it Des Moines?), so he's 19-20 instead of 18-19?

Old
01-26-2004, 08:06 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Yeah, I watched both games. Gotta admit I didn't spend a lot of time trying to watch Irmen, but he definitely got mentioned a bit. I think Woog and Whatsisname (can never remember his name.. I can see his face, hear his voice.. just can't find the name) seem pretty high on Irmen. I think he had a little more trouble than usual just because of the size of UND, but he still seemed to play his game. His goal was a little flukey, but heck, a goal's a goal, and it's not like he didn't put it in on his own. Froze the goalie pretty nicely, with the accidental move.

Seems like he's definitely doing pretty well as a freshman. How old is he? Did he spend the year after high-school in Des Moines (was it Des Moines?), so he's 19-20 instead of 18-19?

Here is a link to his bio:
http://www.gophersports.com/Sports/p...sport_id=mhock

Looks like he spent the last 2 years playing for Lincoln, Nebraska. He is 19.

Old
01-28-2004, 02:53 AM
5iveforfighting

I watched Danny Irmen while he played here in Lincoln, He is a gritty player who's not afraid to mix it up or score a goal to make a point. He was out for a good part of the 02-03 season with a broken wrist after a fight, he still finished 3rd in Lincoln Stars scoring and in the top 20 in the league. He's a great kid and a talented hockey player, If he keeps up, I would not be surprised to see him as a Hobey Baker canidate before he graduates UMinn. As far as his potential for the pro's, it's not out of the question, he'll probably need a few years in the minors, but with his determination, I'm sure he'll succeed at what ever he sets his mind to.

Closed Thread