HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Del Zotto’s reps want meeting with Rangers GM to talk trade

View Poll Results: Trade Del Zotto?
Yes 130 76.47%
No 40 23.53%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2014, 01:00 PM
  #176
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
You want offensive dmen but then get mad when they get out of position sometimes?
Meszaros is better than both of them combined. He is a better player overall. MDZ and Moore are not producing offensivly and they cant deffend.

TollefsenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
  #177
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
Meszaros is better than both of them combined. He is a better player overall. MDZ and Moore are not producing offensivly and they cant deffend.
No he isnt, he gets out of position too so you would hate him too

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:27 PM
  #178
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I know it's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but youa re wrong on some facts.
He has struggled for 2 years? Tell that to Torts when he was putting him as a top pair when Staal was injured and when he was on pace for 37 points season.
His shot accuracy, or lack thereof, has been addressed numerous times, he is about average for the NHL. There are multiple posts addressing this issue.
He is weak mentally? Starting as a 19 year old in the NHL for Torts and succeeding makes you mentally weak. I would argue the opposite.
Listen, you don't like Dz, we get it, but at least don't distort the facts.
And you still have not addressed the contradiction in your post, has he plateaued or does he need a change of scenery? Can't have it both ways.



He got paid is current salary because of what he accomplished. The way he is valued by the org is not exactly as a 3rd pairing Dman and other teams would get him not as a 3rd pairing Dman. Yes he is being railroaded by AV and you are building your whole argument around that, but it does not take away from the fact that it's not what his value is, and it's not what he accomplished.
Your argument is essentially wishful thinking and revisionist history.


IMO you're doing a bit of revising here. Before Staal's injuries he was regularly paired with Girardi. Girardi and McDonagh became the first pair after the first extensive period of Staal's being out of the lineup. Del Zotto has never been a first pairing defenseman on our team--he's been a second pairing but hasn't been able to hold onto that when all our D are healthy and hasn't deserved to be either.

I really don't know what to tell you. The Rangers drafted DZ with the hope that he'd become a decent enough defender but mainly with the idea that he'd create and produce offense from the blueline. Some people are happy with their main offensive D producing 35-40 point seasons--and meanwhile they ***** about the crap pwp. Rozsival--when he was here--put up similar offense and was a better defender. Just saying--that pwp was much better but mainly because Jagr could qb the pwp off the half wall and Nylander could hang onto the puck and make plays. No one to run it off the half wall now and DZ's had ample opportunity to prove he could and now it's McDonagh taking it away from him and the pwp improves. He's been marginalized within the Rangers defense structure. The Rangers pay Del Zotto to produce offense--not so much to defend. He's not producing--and you want to hold onto him and pay him more. DZ's point production since his rookie year went up marginally one year and has been down the other 3.

DZ played well last night but he only had one shot on goal. He took numerous shots. A bunch missed and a bunch were blocked--including one by Clarkson who limped off afterwards. More of the same--his shot not getting through or missing the net. Another hard pass/shot of his was deflected into the net by Boyle.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:28 PM
  #179
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helton4Hall View Post
Barrie didn't play. That's probably why they left.
Yeah, but you're a scout. They're paying you. Stay there and take notes on the guys who ARE playing. I don't get it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:50 PM
  #180
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Problematique View Post
Del Zotto for the Hanson brothers, I hear they're cheap prospects.

Well, we just got one yesterday.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:36 PM
  #181
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
No he isnt, he gets out of position too so you would hate him too
Every D can get out of position, but Del Zotto is just lost. Meszaros got a big body. He is so Heavy. We need more size. Del Zotto cant handle big west coast forwards. Moore is not much better. Meszaros got a bigger potensial in the playoffs than those two. And yes he can get out of position, but MDZ is one of the worst in the League right now. He has to produce offensivly to stay in the NHL, but for some reason cant.

TollefsenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 06:57 PM
  #182
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,915
vCash: 500
This situation has all the ear marks of not ending well for the Rangers.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:12 PM
  #183
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Abingdon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,606
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yeah, but you're a scout. They're paying you. Stay there and take notes on the guys who ARE playing. I don't get it.
If the sole reason they were there was to scout Barrie, then what is the point? As another poster said, they probably thought they were drugged when they saw the Rangers winning 5-0.

__________________
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction."
Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:26 PM
  #184
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yeah, but you're a scout. They're paying you. Stay there and take notes on the guys who ARE playing. I don't get it.
Maybe someone had a family emergency... who knows. I wouldn't bury the guys without knowing any details.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:28 PM
  #185
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
Every D can get out of position, but Del Zotto is just lost. Meszaros got a big body. He is so Heavy. We need more size. Del Zotto cant handle big west coast forwards. Moore is not much better. Meszaros got a bigger potensial in the playoffs than those two. And yes he can get out of position, but MDZ is one of the worst in the League right now. He has to produce offensivly to stay in the NHL, but for some reason cant.
Meszaros is done... no thanks...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:38 PM
  #186
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
IMO you're doing a bit of revising here. Before Staal's injuries he was regularly paired with Girardi. Girardi and McDonagh became the first pair after the first extensive period of Staal's being out of the lineup. Del Zotto has never been a first pairing defenseman on our team--he's been a second pairing but hasn't been able to hold onto that when all our D are healthy and hasn't deserved to be either.
There you go again distorting facts.

1 - DZ has been a top 4 on this team. He has averaged top 4 minutes last 3 seasons (Except this one where he is averaging top 5 minutes). Not only he deserved being top 4, but many nights he was the best Ranger D man on the ice.
2 - When Staal went down with his eye injury, Torts split up the Girardi-McDonagh pair and gave DZ top pairing minutes with Girardi. This is well publicized and basic googling skills can remind you if you forgot. Go back and look from about mid march to mid april of last season. So, you are wrong when you state that he has never been a top pair for the Rangers.

We also know this from the most common D pair from last season.

Defenseman -- Defenseman -- Frequency
DAN GIRARDI - RYAN MCDONAGH -- 23.74%
JOHN MOORE -- STEVE EMINGER --- 20.02%
DEL ZOTTO --- ANTON STRALMAN -- 18.63%
DEL ZOTTO --- DAN GIRARDI ------- 15.86%
STRALMAN ---- RYAN MCDONAGH -- 13.48%
DAN GIRARDI -- JOHN MOORE ------ 2.13%
RYAN MCDONAGH - STEVE EMINGER - 1.68%

Maybe this is not enough, how about we go ask the coach himself?

Quote:
Tortorella on how Del Zotto has helped Rangers defense stay strong despite absence of Marc Staal, and how he challenges Del Zotto to stay at that level: “I think it’s a huge step for Michael – stay there now. This is where he’s fluctuated before, but now he’s gone through a bit of a process. He’s been more mature. I’m hoping he can handle that mentally, that ‘You know what? I’ve been there, I’ve been playing well, now I need to stay there.’ And he may even get better when you have an injury like we have with Marc.’
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...kreider-as-ny-

Quote:
Since Marc Staal was injured on 3/5, Michael Del Zotto has not played fewer than 20 minutes and 51 seconds in a game.

Last night against Philly, Del Zotto played nearly 27 minutes and had two assists.

After the Rangers win last night, John Tortorella said on MSG that Del Zotto played “very well.”

Tortorella said earlier in the week that Del Zotto is putting himself into the position of leading the Rangers defense, “why can’t it be him to lead the way? He is not a young kid anymore, he has played quite a bit in the league. He is improving defensively and has made some really good plays to spring people.”

At Monday’s practice, John Tortorella said that Del Zotto was “terrific” against the Capitals and assuming and thriving in a much larger role without Marc Staal in the lineup.

The key, Tortorella says, is getting Del Zotto to play at a high level consistently.
http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/20...-lead-the-way/

By the way, I am not saying that he was the best Dman all the time during that stretch, but some of the time. For instance the Girardi - McD was reunited on April 11th because DZ struggled the game before

Quote:
John Tortorella reunited Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi on his top defensive pair Wednesday night, and the move served to stabilize the Rangers’ play in their own zone in a 3-2 shootout win over the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Garden.

“The last two games we haven’t defended the way we needed to,” Tortorella said Wednesday afternoon before the game. “Certainly around our net, in Carolina, that’s where it is. Our ‘D’ have moved away from our net when they don’t have to. So we need to straighten that out.”

Michael Del Zotto had played the previous six games alongside Girardi as Tortorella sought to balance his defensive pairs with Marc Staal out and Del Zotto playing at a high level. But Del Zotto was caught out of position several times in Monday’s 4-3 loss in Toronto, leading to the switch back Wednesday night to last year’s dynamic pair of McDonagh and Girardi.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...-ny-rangers-to

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Some people are happy with their main offensive D producing 35-40 point seasons
What's wrong with a 23 year old averaging 35-40 points a season? How many of those do the Rangers have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
DZ's had ample opportunity to prove he could and now it's McDonagh taking it away from him and the pwp improves. He's been marginalized within the Rangers defense structure. The Rangers pay Del Zotto to produce offense--not so much to defend. He's not producing--and you want to hold onto him and pay him more. DZ's point production since his rookie year went up marginally one year and has been down the other 3.
This one takes the cake, so the PP improved because McDonagh took DZs spot?
Having a new PP coach had nothing to do with it?

If you want to argue that DZ has not been consistently good during his tenure, I'd agree with you but you went a lot further than that without any facts to back you up.
DZ might as well be traded. But the way he has been railroaded by AV hurts the org. He has driven his value to the ground and you and some others seem to enjoy it.
I'd expect you to want what's best for the Rangers being a fan, but you are more interested in peddling non truths for whatever reason.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:44 PM
  #187
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,568
vCash: 500
Great post.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:59 PM
  #188
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
I keep seeing the numbers 23 and 41 thrown around. Del Zotto's young, we get it. Del Zotto had 1 excellent season, great. The same season which in the playoffs he completely pooped himself in the Devils series; he was atrocious. The fact of the matter is that his play has completely nose dived. He has been a liability defensively, and below average offensively for quite a long stretch of time. When you get bent over on a 1 on 1 by Brent Sutter, you have serious problems.

He also couldn't hit the side of a barn on a cool summer day off the rush OR on the PP, and hence my username was born

We're not going to get anything of value for this guy unless Sather pulls a Sather. Just keep him and hope he can get himself out of this funk. He's really not as bad as he's played lately, but I don't think he's THAT much better either

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:02 PM
  #189
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Tbf these are your opinions I bolded and not facts. For instance you seem to have an opinion on what two years is. Two years should include this year, last year and a part of the year that you mentioned but not the whole thing. Looking at this year and last year as the majority of these "2 years" he has regressed and the point was valid.
You can cut the 2 years anyway you want, his point is still not valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Succeeding under Torts = tough is an opinion.
I agree, I thought my choice of words made it clear it was.

Quote:
He is weak mentally? Starting as a 19 year old in the NHL for Torts and succeeding makes you mentally weak. I would argue the opposite.
If it was not clear enough, I hope it is now.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:04 PM
  #190
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoHitTheNetJK View Post
I keep seeing the numbers 23 and 41 thrown around. Del Zotto's young, we get it. Del Zotto had 1 excellent season, great. The same season which in the playoffs he completely pooped himself in the Devils series; he was atrocious. The fact of the matter is that his play has completely nose dived. He has been a liability defensively, and below average offensively for quite a long stretch of time. When you get bent over on a 1 on 1 by Brent Sutter, you have serious problems.

He also couldn't hit the side of a barn on a cool summer day off the rush OR on the PP, and hence my username was born

We're not going to get anything of value for this guy unless Sather pulls a Sather. Just keep him and hope he can get himself out of this funk. He's really not as bad as he's played lately, but I don't think he's THAT much better either
There are plenty of posts that dispels the notion about his shot accuracy. But your nickname reflects more on you than DZ.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:08 PM
  #191
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
There are plenty of posts that dispels the notion about his shot accuracy. But your nickname reflects more on you than DZ.
There's a reason AV ripped Del Zotto off the PP. He gave him chances throughout the year and decided he'd seen enough. There's a reason for that, which happens to be my new user name

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:19 PM
  #192
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
Meszaros is better than both of them combined. He is a better player overall. MDZ and Moore are not producing offensivly and they cant deffend.
Yeah, no.

This board would hate Meszaros his first shift. He's just awful now.

__________________

Thank you boys
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
  #193
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Great post.
^^^^Yep.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
  #194
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 500
Kwayry your posts are so great. Nice to see facts actually used on Del Zotto, instead of the garbage posters spew here.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
  #195
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollefsenFan View Post
Meszaros is better than both of them combined. He is a better player overall. MDZ and Moore are not producing offensivly and they cant deffend.

When the flyers couldn't win a game and their fans wanted to hang the whole team he was their first choice.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:28 PM
  #196
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoHitTheNetJK View Post
I keep seeing the numbers 23 and 41 thrown around. Del Zotto's young, we get it. Del Zotto had 1 excellent season, great. The same season which in the playoffs he completely pooped himself in the Devils series; he was atrocious. The fact of the matter is that his play has completely nose dived. He has been a liability defensively, and below average offensively for quite a long stretch of time. When you get bent over on a 1 on 1 by Brent Sutter, you have serious problems.

He also couldn't hit the side of a barn on a cool summer day off the rush OR on the PP, and hence my username was born

We're not going to get anything of value for this guy unless Sather pulls a Sather. Just keep him and hope he can get himself out of this funk. He's really not as bad as he's played lately, but I don't think he's THAT much better either
Pronger got "bent over" by Dawes 1 on 1 once and Pronger seemed to be ok after that. DZ is no Pronger but bent over is a pretty dumb thing to say, especially when it happens to other players.

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:56 PM
  #197
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,915
vCash: 500
It is mind numbing when I think of all the players this franchise has given up on over the years.

Mark my words, we let this kid go and we'll hate it in the years to come.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 12:01 AM
  #198
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
The problem is we have little choice now. This environment has become toxic for DZ. When his agents are asking to meet with our management about getting him moved, it's pretty clear that the player no longer wants to be in this situation. The only thing left is to hope we can still squeeze good value out of him and all call Glen (actually that should really probably be Alain) and leave 'told ya so' voicemails in a few years when DZ is doing well elsewhere.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:23 AM
  #199
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It is mind numbing when I think of all the players this franchise has given up on over the years.

Mark my words, we let this kid go and we'll hate it in the years to come.
Wouldn't that depend on what the return is?

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 01:29 AM
  #200
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,677
vCash: 500
AV completely destroyed ballard here in vancouver.....a player that had put up three very good seasons. You guys are very astute to see the problem with AV so quickly. It took vancouvef fans a lot longer. He will lay waste to assets no matter what the gm thinks...no matter what they cost to acquire or the implications of his decisions for the gm...luongo, ballard, hodgson

You will see you share of tanner glass types. I am so happy he's not in vancouver.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.