HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part II: Fire Renney?

View Poll Results: Fire Renney
YES - Get rid him of him already 51 67.11%
NO - Can't blame him/Needs More Time/Other 25 32.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Part II: Fire Renney?

A month later, not much has changed, youth getting no ice time, poor decidions in key times, poor line combinations that are results in no goals.... time to finally give the weak link in the team the ax

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Fletch

You should say...

youth getting less ice time...

Heck, even the Hossa experiment on the second line only lasted a game or two.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:15 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Renney = Coughlin = Thomas.

Eff NY sports.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Ive been on the fire renney bandwagon since about the 3rd game of the season. Nothings changed since then.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:36 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
In fact, I hate Renney SO much that I'm not even going to write my third installment of my open letter to him. He doesn't even deserve that.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:53 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Renney = Coughlin = Thomas.

Eff NY sports.
I HATE Coughlin. The man is always looking for his car in the parking lot.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 05:47 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
A month later, not much has changed, youth getting no ice time, poor decidions in key times, poor line combinations that are results in no goals.... time to finally give the weak link in the team the ax
10 min left in a 1 goal hockey game... Rangers on the PP and Malik is sent out to the point, straka moves to F and Shanny goes off. umm, yea... It's time to fire Renney.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
10 min left in a 1 goal hockey game... Rangers on the PP and Malik is sent out to the point, straka moves to F and Shanny goes off. umm, yea... It's time to fire Renney.
Yeah Malik on the point in that situation was utterly mind boggling.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Renney needs to go. Some of his line choices make no sense what so ever. Its like he just throws random players out there sometimes. He is a joke and I can't wait till he is gone.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Shanahan actually played with the other unit on that PP

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:01 PM
MrAlfie

fans need to take action now, they should start a chant bring signs to the game and let renney know what you think.
now its the GM that will fire the coach if he has to, but if the fans get up and arms and start to build up a certain pressure with a constant chant ala "fire renney" or "renney sucks" and bring plenty of signs to the game saying "fire renney" , "get a new headcoach" etc. pp. , then the media will pick up on it and they will start asking questions and put pressure on the managment and coaches. and THATS the only way renney is gonna get fired, because i dont see sather firing him on his own.

he NEEDS to go.
NOW!

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Choice

My only problem with Renney is his baffling line combinations and disgusting over use of Matt Cullen. I do think the team would be better off without him, but I wouldnt say hes the weak link. The weak link is no second line center and poor d.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:23 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
At first this season I was anti-Renney. Then the Rangers began to pull it together in November and I thought that he might just work out. But now all that good time in November was just a fluke.

Yeah I know he doesnt have much to work with, the players suck, etc. etc. But when you still have the same basic mechanical problems going on from last season and you STILL havent changed them, you need some help.

So I would say Fire Renney. Are we going to get some stellar coach in his place? Probably not. But this team has the talent there in some places but its just not tapping it.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Skroob*

should have hired Nolan years ago. too bad the old boys network would not have allowed that.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:29 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I still say give him more time, probably until the end of the season or playoffs if the Rangers make it. I disagree with a lot of his decisions, but I don't know if a replacement at this point would make them much better.

They have coaching problems, I won't deny it, but there are also problems with the actual players he has availabe. And of course those roster problems are the fault of the GM.

Jagr seems to be a player who needs specific treatment from the coach, and Renney has at least managed to keep him happy. If the Rangers can Renney and bring in a guy like Keenan or Quinn, who knows how Jagr might react? You could have Scotty Bowman coach this team, it doesn't matter--if Jagr's pissed, they're not winning.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:33 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I still say give him more time, probably until the end of the season or playoffs if the Rangers make it. I disagree with a lot of his decisions, but I don't know if a replacement at this point would make them much better.

They have coaching problems, I won't deny it, but there are also problems with the actual players he has availabe. And of course those roster problems are the fault of the GM.

Jagr seems to be a player who needs specific treatment from the coach, and Renney has at least managed to keep him happy. If the Rangers can Renney and bring in a guy like Keenan or Quinn, who knows how Jagr might react? You could have Scotty Bowman coach this team, it doesn't matter--if Jagr's pissed, they're not winning.
For everytime he wasn't giving 100% effort, Scotty Bowman would make Jagr dress up like a woman and watch the game from the bench.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Sure, why not, let's fire him. The sad thing is that Renney is the best coach Sather has brought in since he was hired. Why does anyone think the next one will somehow be better than all the others?

It's not really Renney's fault--the fish rots from the head down. You want real change? Fire the Jackass.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Fletch

Brooklyn...

I'd suggest that Renney has had the privilege to coach the Rangers' best roster of players that we've seen in a long time and that he's not really a very good coach. As sad as it seems, there were pockets of a month or two here and there with Clueless Ron Low that looked decent too, but he didn't have players that played more than a month or so (see Lindros, Dunham, a 40+ year old Messier and the worst set of defensemen and supporting players one can remember). I think Renney has a lot more to deal with and has a lot more options than any other coach in the last several years.

Old
01-20-2007, 09:10 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Sure, why not, let's fire him. The sad thing is that Renney is the best coach Sather has brought in since he was hired. Why does anyone think the next one will somehow be better than all the others?

It's not really Renney's fault--the fish rots from the head down. You want real change? Fire the Jackass.
I agree, but Sather isnt going anywhere. For true success to build, Sather and Renney BOTH have to go, but one leaving is better then none.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Chimp

He's seems to be a nice guy, but he can't be a head coach for a NHL team (I call him "Random Renney" for a reason). It's as simple as that. Nothing personal, just business. I can't say I feel convinced Sather has done a good job either.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:13 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I can't take the line juggling anymore, you're not going to build chemistry changing lines every twelve hours.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Larry Melnyk

I keep him, but with reservations...

This team was messed up this summer when Matt CUllen was signed as the 2nd C and Aaron Ward as the physical D-man....More so the former...From the opening day, the lines have been a total mess becasue of the lack of a 2nd C (and I think IMMO is FAR from one and is where he belongs)

And since I think up until this point that the kids were better served in Hartford, I 'll say that Renney's hand hasn't been the strongest...But some of the lines he puts out their are totally assinine and it's criominal regarding some of the lines he won't play (HBO)..I truly don't understand his thinking with the lines...

My bet is the rangers are finaly at the breaking point though, and a 2nd C will be brought in and maybe a change at wing, before too soon...ANd it maybe internal, external or both...once those changes are mad, I would want to give Renney a few weeks to see if he could put this team together.....Nothing more...

No matter waht, I think this is his last year as a Ranger coach and is much better suited as a personnel directo....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Fletch

Sock...

I'm not totally against line juggling to find the right pair, as often I believe it's good to keep at least two guys constant and change the other, but Shanahan and Cullen have shown zero chemistry. They've been mostly together the last 18 games and Shanny has zero goals with him. While the 2C position is clearly not manned effectively, at what point does Renney say that Cullen and Shanny do not belong playing together? He broke them up for about 2 games, or parts of two games, all season long. There's zero chemistrty. The should not play with each other. Time to find a new 'partner'.

Old
01-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I'd suggest that Renney has had the privilege to coach the Rangers' best roster of players that we've seen in a long time and that he's not really a very good coach. As sad as it seems, there were pockets of a month or two here and there with Clueless Ron Low that looked decent too, but he didn't have players that played more than a month or so (see Lindros, Dunham, a 40+ year old Messier and the worst set of defensemen and supporting players one can remember). I think Renney has a lot more to deal with and has a lot more options than any other coach in the last several years.
I'm not suggesting that Renney is a good coach--just the "best" of a bunch of losers that Sather has hired here. And given that management is/was under the delusion that the team they constructed over the summer was one that could contend for a Stanley Cup, I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Sure Renney hasn't gotten the most out of the players he was given, but I would also argue that whomever decided that this group was going to make noise in the playoffs gets plenty of the blame too.

Old
01-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
I agree, but Sather isnt going anywhere. For true success to build, Sather and Renney BOTH have to go, but one leaving is better then none.
I don't think it makes a difference in the long run who coaches Sather's team. There might be a small bounce if Renney were fired tomorrow (maybe enough to get into the playoffs), but in the long run, until Sather goes, this is what we will see. Sather hasn't built a contending team in over 15 years, he's not suddenly going to rediscover his magic touch.