HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pavel Buchnevich

Old
01-05-2014, 08:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
He was at the draft, but not at training camp, because the KHL season had already started
Ola is referring to our Prospect Camp, and Buchnevich was there. It's at the end of June, so his KHL season hadn't yet started.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Ola is referring to our Prospect Camp, and Buchnevich was there. It's at the end of June, so his KHL season hadn't yet started.
Ah, okay. That's yes then
https://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/3...ct-camp-roster

01-05-2014, 10:32 AM
thevreelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
i never liked how guys get compared to their peers. the article compared him to Yakupov, Grigorenko and other YOUNG guys who are still finding their game. i would have been more confident in a comparison to Fedorov, Malkin, Zherdev, etc....

all that said, it seems too risky 1) size, 2) KHL factor and 3) work ethic. sounds like another kid who would bolt back home to Russia where lazy play is accepted once coaches here in NA start to put the pressure on.
LOL get your head out of your butt. Lazy play isn't accepted in the KHL either. Do you really think coaches like Mike Keenan and Oļegs Znaroks will let their teams play lazy? Zherdev is the biggest example here, the guy is one strike away from exile from the KHL. I can't even believe he's in there now, luckily for him Severstal gave him another chance. Maybe you should start watching KHL games before making ridiculous assumptions.

Buchnevich is fine on size, he's already showing leadership, and he's different than other Russians because he plays with a bit of an edge. I think he's most comparable to Kuznetsov or a cleaner more skilled version of Artyukhin. The one thing you're right about is the KHL factor which like it or not will be there for every European soon. Don't blame the players for the KHL factor though, blame the NHL commissioner.

thevreelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:07 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
He got better as the tournament progressed. Was Russia's best player late in the game when they were chasing Sweden. He went into traffic several times and had like 4-5 chances.

He was pretty good defensively and fought hard for the puck. Big flaw is intensity away from the puck and -- in a sense -- mentality. If he literary is hurt (not injured), he can stop playing and skate slowly to the bench. If he is on a PP and it struggles, you can see his intensity go below 0 (along with a few others on that team) and they start complaining on each others.
I think this is a result of playing regular minutes in KHL and expecting better from his teammates.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:13 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
That's what I thought. He fought along the boards, drove to the net, didn't seem weak or hesitant physically at all. He looks big and fast. At 6-2 176 pounds, he's not small, in fact, he's bigger than most hockey players. In the next couple of years, he'll probably get himself to 200 pounds. His defense wasn't phenomenal, but not terrible either. He looked like a good prospect in this game and throughout the tournament.
Watching his play for Severstal this season - it's the same. I would also note note finding open ice for a scoring opportunity when without a puck.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
RangersHank*

All people do is compare him, i think he is comparable to Pavel Buchnevich.

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevreelander View Post
LOL get your head out of your butt. Lazy play isn't accepted in the KHL either. Do you really think coaches like Mike Keenan and Oļegs Znaroks will let their teams play lazy? Zherdev is the biggest example here, the guy is one strike away from exile from the KHL. I can't even believe he's in there now, luckily for him Severstal gave him another chance. Maybe you should start watching KHL games before making ridiculous assumptions.

Buchnevich is fine on size, he's already showing leadership, and he's different than other Russians because he plays with a bit of an edge. I think he's most comparable to Kuznetsov or a cleaner more skilled version of Artyukhin. The one thing you're right about is the KHL factor which like it or not will be there for every European soon. Don't blame the players for the KHL factor though, blame the NHL commissioner.

The KHL is a factor because it is somewhat below NHL level, but pays the same, and sometimes higher salaries, plus if you are Russian, you get all the stardom in the KHL that you'd get in the NHL.

If you are a borderline NHLer, KHL may make more sense for you. Look at a guy like Kristo. Let's say he doesn't improve. I am not saying he won't, I'm just saying, let's imagine there was a guy with his skill-set who's already 26 and is not expected to get much better. He can play in the AHL and occasionally get called up to the NHL for a few games or he can be a second liner in the KHL. Which is the obvious choice?

Or take an offensive player who can play on the second line in the NHL who's Russian. He can be called one-dimensional in the NHL or he can be a star in the KHL.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

But it's a Russian league, clearly it's lazy as all Russians are lazy. Don't you know?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:39 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

Yes comparable To kuznetsov skill wise but hopefully less brittle.

He's seriously undervalued here. Kid has very high end offensive skills. Great size. Top shelf wheels and can dangle and snipe it. Very accurate wrist shot with a lot of velocity. He's smart too. Smart and creative. He's a dangerous player with the puck and more finisher than playmaker which is something we should all be happy to read.

He's gotten a bad rap though, as his compete level is much better than advertised. If you watched him in malmo, you would have seen that part of his game. He plays along the wall and will get his nose dirty. He engages and isn't afraid to go the front and use his size. And he does play with an edge and shows emotion which again is a positive for a guy who's primarily a creative scorer. Lazy Russian does not apply.

This organization is lacking the skills he has and I would say he's easily the most creative prospect in the entire organization.

Let's just hope he doesn't suffer from what kuznetsov is going through. He's an exciting offensive player with get up outa your seat skills. He just needs to get here and start his nhl career when his khl contract is up.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Liked what I saw from Buchnevich in the tournament offensively, and physically. However, he has a long, long way to go on the defensive side of the puck and he had quite a few shifts where his back-checking was non-existent and he spent a ton of time floating around in the neutral zone. That's just not going to cut it in the NHL. The good news is that's all stuff that can be taught if he's willing to learn.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I thought he looked downright funny at times. He's a character, that's for sure.

Excited for him. Has the tools, now we need to see if he has the toolbox.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:58 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Liked what I saw from Buchnevich in the tournament offensively, and physically. However, he has a long, long way to go on the defensive side of the puck and he had quite a few shifts where his back-checking was non-existent and he spent a ton of time floating around in the neutral zone. That's just not going to cut it in the NHL. The good news is that's all stuff that can be taught if he's willing to learn.
The Russian coaches were happy with his overall game. You call it floating, I call it doing the pavel bure. He's not a great 2 way player and perhaps never will be. He isn't nik zherdev though.

His 2 way game may not be nhl ready today, but he's got the size and some snarl to atleast fake it well enough to score 30.

I'll take that right now. Today.

Oh and tampas got a good one in vasilevski. He's the real deal.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
The Russian coaches were happy with his overall game. You call it floating, I call it doing the pavel bure. He's not a great 2 way player and perhaps never will be. He isn't nik zherdev though.

His 2 way game may not be nhl ready today, but he's got the size and some snarl to atleast fake it well enough to score 30.

I'll take that right now. Today.

Oh and tampas got a good one in vasilevski. He's the real deal.
NHL coaches will call it floating as well. Zherdev, for all of his faults, at least learned with the Rangers how to backcheck. Buchnevich's effort on the lone Canadian goal in the bronze medal game was pretty terrible.

I'm not expecting him to ever become Pavel Datsyuk, but he's going to need to learn how to not be a liability on the ice defensively.

Shame the Rangers couldn't move up to nab Vasilevski. I know they were hoping to get him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
NHL coaches will call it floating as well. Zherdev, for all of his faults, at least learned with the Rangers how to backcheck. Buchnevich's effort on the lone Canadian goal in the bronze medal game was pretty terrible.

I'm not expecting him to ever become Pavel Datsyuk, but he's going to need to learn how to not be a liability on the ice defensively.

Shame the Rangers couldn't move up to nab Vasilevski. I know they were hoping to get him.
There was a lot of word about the Rangers wanting him... That kid is going to be a beast!

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:38 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Yes, he missed his backcheck on that play. But, by the same token, there's a reason that the coaches had him out on 2 of the last 3 shifts of the one-goal bronze medal game.

He's not a perfect prospect, but I'm certainly excited by his overall package.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote