HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Leafs: "What the hell just happened?" Edition

Old
01-05-2014, 05:24 PM
azaloum90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Never knew the NHL had a mercy rule....seriously how did the 8th goal not count? No review? wtf?
yeah... ref on the ice called it a goal, no review, then they go "call on ice stands no goal"...

agian, teh sham known as the NHL

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

I love Jim hughson. I was imagining what it'd be like to have him for Rangers broadcast but it's all too good, even for a day dream scenario.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:37 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
CK will run into problems sooner or later because there's no one to back him up--other than Carcillo. Carcillo is not a major deterrent. You could see earlier Orr going after Boyle--at least somewhat because of a collision/shoving match with Phaneuf. Orr's protecting one of his team's stars--a guy who plays physical. Phaneuf can play physical--he can get involved in scrums--when push really comes to shove--Orr or McLaren will be there and Dion will be ready to go the next game because he'll never really have to answer the bell. For Kreider to become the player he needs to become he is going to have to play physical as well but there's no Orr around. Kreider does not know how to fight. He could use a few pointers from someone who does know. He can defend himself against Phaneuf but his odds are a lot worse against a Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic or a Tom Wilson.
I think he's smart enough to not drop them with those three but more like the types that John Moore has fought. If he gets comfortable throwing punches he'll be dangerous with that strength.

A little before my time but maybe he can become Steve Vickers lite in the fighting dept., an absolute killer that rarely fought but could really play. You guys that are a little older can probably provide more color on him.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Ratelleitlikeitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by anofsti View Post
I only saw the first period, but I thought Nash played great in it. Created a few chances out of thin air, plowing through multiple opponents and getting shots off. Looked like his old self to me.
Despite the stone hands following up CKs net drive 10 seconds in. Maybe a return to Columbus will light a spark...something...anything would be welcomed.

Ratelleitlikeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
azaloum90

Anyone think that the trade that happened earlier that day is what caused the compete level to go up? Just a thought

Old
01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Anyone think that the trade that happened earlier that day is what caused the compete level to go up? Just a thought
What trade? the 7th rounder wasn't a member of the country club known as rangerstown

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresto View Post
We've been able to win games that were in our favor to win based off of how well we played against them in the 60 minutes. The reason why we've been .500 is because we haven't been able to win against the games that weren't ours to win. When we score first, we have a stellar record, when we don't, we are doomed. It's just another dimension to the lack of ways to find a way to win a game. Whether it's the no show from Henrik this season, or the lack of compete level, we need to find both in order to starting going in the right direction, team wise and games above .500 wise.

We need to be able to win games where it's a battle. We lost late to the Jets and missed major points there. We lost late to the Caps and allowed them a 4 point game. Pittsburgh, out battled and out played and were forced into mistakes too easily. Every tough fight ends in a loss for us which is a damn shame because we used to be able to get those to OT more often than not. Broke our 90 something game streak of at least a point when leading after 2 etc. etc.

The Devils are the opposite of us. They force OT like hell. 1,2,3 goal deficits to start the 3rd, or even later, yet they force OT for their loser points. Without our poor compete level in close games, we'd be up a few more and the Devils without their underdog compete would be in Isles Territory.
IIRC, under Tortorella we had a very respectable W-L-T when we didn't score first.

01-05-2014, 09:40 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
I think he's smart enough to not drop them with those three but more like the types that John Moore has fought. If he gets comfortable throwing punches he'll be dangerous with that strength.

A little before my time but maybe he can become Steve Vickers lite in the fighting dept., an absolute killer that rarely fought but could really play. You guys that are a little older can probably provide more color on him.
Vickers was very good at it but he didn't really like to fight though and Steve really only ever seemed to fight his own battles. Not like a Graves. Really it's not as easy as it looks (there's balance and footwork involved--backwards, forwards and laterally while you're being jerked around and there's a fear factor even for frequent fighters) and the mentality has to be there. Some of those who are good at it want to drive their fist out the back of your head and you have to be ready and willing to do the same against them. Kreider coming out of prep school and college hockey--not really in the culture nearly as much as someone from the CHL or a kid who first plays in the USHL or Canadian Jr. A college feeder leagues like the BCHL and go on to College. Parros and the Westgarth's played for Princeton but they were never going to make it on skill. Kreider's gifted in so many ways--size, strength, skill, skating--he's never needed to have that element or mentality in his repertoire. He's to the point though where he's irritating players--not just Phaneuf--Crosby is another that seems to be having a problem with him. That's all to the good--I just wish the Rangers had someone who could do a decent job of riding shotgun for him and the rest of his teammates.

To me you have to admire someone like a Orr, a Booggard or a John Scott. They don't really belong in the NHL on skills--they've just done everything they could to make it anyway. They belong in the minors though. Guys like Matt Carkner, Deryk Engelland played in the minors for years before they made the NHL--tons of fights for both. Luke Gazdic is doing the same thing in Edmonton now. I remember watching Prust when he was with Calgary making a beeline for Brian McGrattan after a big hit against one of Brandon's teammates. McGrattan just towered over him and Prust had no chance. But the next year when Prust came to the Rangers I was very happy because I knew this was a guy who would stick up for his teammates no matter what the cost.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:10 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I remember watching Prust when he was with Calgary making a beeline for Brian McGrattan after a big hit against one of Brandon's teammates. McGrattan just towered over him and Prust had no chance. But the next year when Prust came to the Rangers I was very happy because I knew this was a guy who would stick up for his teammates no matter what the cost.
Agreed. I saw that too and knew who we were getting when the deal was made. Tons of guts and the technique to survive a scrap when the size mismatch is tremendous. I'm pretty sure you're talking about the scrap with Steve MacIntyre. There sure is a need for that type of no nonsense player to back up the rest of the team. Problem is Sather won't do the homework to get the right player like the Oilers did with Gadzic. He wastes picks (Scott) or hands out terrible contracts (Brashear, Boogaard, Asham, etc.).

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:31 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresto View Post
I love Jim hughson. I was imagining what it'd be like to have him for Rangers broadcast but it's all too good, even for a day dream scenario.
Jim Hughson is a very biased guy, he wears the Vancouver Canucks on his sleeve. He is not an unknowledgable guy, and he has a good voice and presence, but he is quite the Canucks homer.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Great game, maybe it will give some of the boys a bit of offensive confidence.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 03:19 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Jim Hughson is a very biased guy, he wears the Vancouver Canucks on his sleeve. He is not an unknowledgable guy, and he has a good voice and presence, but he is quite the Canucks homer.
Also a Lundqvist fan but I don't mind his homering since I don't really tune into Canucks games.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 04:27 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
What trade? the 7th rounder wasn't a member of the country club known as rangerstown
yes that trade