HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2013-14 WJC Thread

Old
01-05-2014, 02:56 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Haggs been pretty good I think
Best game until that play. He was very assertive this game. He let his guard down on the final play and the puck ended up in the back of the net (Dansk was shaky all game). He'll be the lead dog next year. We'll see how he handles it.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:57 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
ok maybe next time i should of included the
you really think I was serious? lirl
well, with what people post on here, it's hard to tell

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
well, with what people post on here, it's hard to tell
I know. Hagg will be fine. He got beat on a great move. it happens to everyone. Gotta give credit to Finland. they played their system pretty much to perfection. they were the better team 5 on 5

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Hagg was having a great game before that goal.

Would have liked to see him get PP time with his shot but I guess not.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Akanon

Holy ****, we really won the gold!!

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:21 PM
flyershockey

He got beat by the best defenseman in the tournament. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to your opponent. Risto made a hell of a play. As others have said, Hagg will be back next year and has a chance at being their number. He certainly has physical tools that are off the charts.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Holy ****, we really won the gold!!

Congrats! I sent a load of my Finnish friends a picture sequence of me in my Finland jersey beating up my brother in a Sweden jersey with a good luck message before the tournament started... so pretty sure that was the main reason they won!

Also, if that gif Brian Bouchers Dad? Woonsocket, RI!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 03:27 PM
hockeyfreak7

Hagg had a whale of a game. That last goal was a weak play, and I'd be pissed if I were Swedish, but as a Flyers fan, I saw a player to be excited about.

I don't care if he's a defensive liability or if he can never QB a PP, he has one quality that will be a god send-- his first pass in transition is outstanding. So many times Sweden was able to create sustained offensive pressure because Hagg made a quick, hard outlet pass that caught a player on the rush for a hard entry into the zone.

He's gotta have better consistency and intensity in the D zone, but that one quality will be enough to make him a solid NHL contributor, imo.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 04:53 PM
tymed

Congrats to the Finns.

I didnt see them take on the Swedes but they proved against the Canadians that they have an effective system and that they can play it to near perfection-this was the only game I saw of theirs. Great job by the players and coaches-excellent team play and well deserved Gold medal.

tymed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:00 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
He got beat by the best defenseman in the tournament. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to your opponent. Risto made a hell of a play. As others have said, Hagg will be back next year and has a chance at being their number. He certainly has physical tools that are off the charts.
Ristolainen got the best defenseman award but Zadorov was the best defenseman I saw. Ristolainen wasn't even voted best defenseman by his coaches (Pokka).

Old
01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

That was a really lazy play by Hagg. Forgive him all you want. He half-checked him.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
After watching Hagg through the tournament and also ~12 games this year in the SHL I think what he can be if all pans out perfectly is nasty 07-08 Coburn with an ego. So basically what most of us thought Coburn could be when he was acquired. So basically kind of like John Carlson I think!

I mean, I doubt he gets that far in all honesty, I think more likely he turns into basically a slightly nastier Coburn or slightly worse, nastier Coburn, and is likely a #4 in the NHL... but he has a pretty similar skillset to Coburn, a slightly worse skater overall I think (though that is not really a knock, his skating is great, but Coburn is one of the best skating big men in the NHL.) with a bigger shot and a better pass.

I love that he has been trusted so much defensively as well, even if he made a pretty significant mistake after playing so nicely in his zone most of the tourney! I remember when he was drafted most said that his offensive skillset was not in doubt, but his D was at times... and he was probably the best Swedish Dman in his own zone.

Still very happy they got him so late... and don't know how he was there when pretty universally considered a late 1st rounder, he has an awesome skillset, and if he can put it together will be a pretty damn good NHLer.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:32 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
That was a really lazy play by Hagg. Forgive him all you want. He half-checked him.
Yeah, well when you go for a check and he side steps you, it's pretty difficult to "full-check" the guy.

The play was a mistake, but it wasn't lazy. I'll call him out for being lazy as I did a few days ago in the other thread, but today he was a workhorse. Can't blame that play on effort. It was just a play that he should have backed off on-- one that, at the very least, he can learn from.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Curufinwe

It was over aggressive, not lazy.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 05:51 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
This. He was the only guy between Risto and the net. He should have tried to angle him out instead of taking him head on.

Flyguy: I was more impressed with Ristolainen personally. Zadarov will be a good one, but you see why scouts question his offensive game. The instincts just aren't there at a high level. Defensively it should a wash though. Either way, buffalo got two good ones.

Old
01-05-2014, 06:28 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
This. He was the only guy between Risto and the net. He should have tried to angle him out instead of taking him head on.

Flyguy: I was more impressed with Ristolainen personally. Zadarov will be a good one, but you see why scouts question his offensive game. The instincts just aren't there at a high level. Defensively it should a wash though. Either way, buffalo got two good ones.
Agree to disagree then. Zadorov made more of an impact to me. Ristolainen was quiet most of the tournament. That's not a bad thing necessarily for a defenseman, he plays a safe game, I just think Zadorov was a force at both ends. The only thing he really lacks is that initial burst. And while I don't think he'll be making end to end rushes he made in this tournament in the NHL he shows good hands and a bomb of a shot.

Again the Finnish coaches voted Pokka one of the top 3 players on the team and not Ristolainen. That says something to me.

Just to add, watching Teräväinen this tournament reminds me of how disappointed I was when he went at 18. I was hoping and praying he would make it two more picks. I remember the Flyers being linked to him before the draft and kept waiting for us to trade up, but I guess it was just a smoke screen. He carried that team offensively without much offensive talent around him. He's so calm and smart with the puck. You can see the Giroux comps he got before the draft. Chicago got another gem.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 01-05-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Concur. Mistake. Over-aggressive. Kind of the opposite of lazy actually. Careless perhaps would be better term for it.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Just to add, watching Teräväinen this tournament reminds me of how disappointed I was when he went at 18. I was hoping and praying he would make it two more picks. I remember the Flyers being linked to him before the draft and kept waiting for us to trade up, but I guess it was just a smoke screen. He carried that team offensively without much offensive talent around him. He's so calm and smart with the puck. You can see the Giroux comps he got before the draft. Chicago got another gem.
Between Teravainen and Maatta, the guys I wanted in 2012 as our pick approached are playing exceptional hockey. Laughton has serious work to justify the selection once he reaches the NHL.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:39 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

the play Hagg was beaten on can happen to anyone. especially a 18 year old kid. He will be fine.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 07:53 PM
flyershockey

Well TT wasn't available at their, and judging by Homer's reaction after Chicago's selection, that's who they really wanted. I think they even wanted Wilson over Laughton as well. I'm still on the fence about Maatta. Some of the shine has worn off as the season has gone along, but yeah, Laughton still has a lot to prove against some of the players selected around him. TT is going to look ridiculous in Chicago in a couple of years with all the talent they'll have around him.

Old
01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Teravainen is who Holmgren wanted. Only the Flames wanted to trade down, and they did Flames things when they did. Can't blame him if no one was willing to trade down.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:55 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Teravainen is who Holmgren wanted. Only the Flames wanted to trade down, and they did Flames things when they did. Can't blame him if no one was willing to trade down.
I think he really wanted Wilson. There was a shot of Homer right before Wilson went and he was pissed. Teräväinen was rumored to go top 10, so I find it hard to believe he couldn't find a dance partner before he was picked at 18. Homer has his faults but he usually gets the guy he wants.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I think he really wanted Wilson. There was a shot of Homer right before Wilson went and he was pissed. Teräväinen was rumored to go top 10, so I find it hard to believe he couldn't find a dance partner before he was picked at 18. Homer has his faults but he usually gets the guy he wants.
Calgary moved down for a second (no. 42). We had two seconds, but our highest was only no. 45 (Stolarz), so we couldn't offer as much as Buffalo did. Our first was one slot higher than they slide down to, but with who they were looking to select, they didn't need that spot lol.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Wish we could have drafted Risto
Heartily seconded. I was targeting Ristolainen since there was zero hope of getting Jones and I highly doubted that Nurse would be available. After Ristolainen, I wanted Morrissey (thanks for swaying me, BCfan!) then (slightly) Zadorov and Morin.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote