HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Trading Players at Their Lowest Value

Old
01-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

vCash: 500
Very good thread. I am not sure why it is so misunderstood. The OP is not saying to trade players at their highest value, just not at their lowest.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The guy hasn't been on pace for more than 60 points since 2 seasons ago. I think you're overvaluing Kane if you think that package is ridiculous. I think a guy that is probably more of a good 2nd line winger for ideally a 3rd line winger, a good 3rd line center prospect, and a mid 2nd round pick, is not a ridiculous trade, IMO.
He scores 30 goals last full season and was on place for 30 goals last year. You don't get him for that package.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Without knowing what kind of offers our guys at the top of their value would have gotten you can't compare the situations.
Uh, that's kind of the point of the whole discussion. The inability to recognize a player who has peaked, and thus is at his highest value.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Very good thread. I am not sure why it is so misunderstood. The OP is not saying to trade players at their highest value, just not at their lowest.

Exactly. Maybe some of you aren't old enough to have seen this movie enough times. I remember when Zubov was being physically pounded by the entire league and then by the fans and management until it became insanely obvious that he was going to be traded. Yet the Stars were able to figure out how to protect Zubov's weaknesses while allowing him to play to his strengths which at the time the Rangers couldn't do and he quarterbacked the Stars to a Cup and a long successful borderline HOF career..

Del Zotto has talent and good development and coaching should have been able to bring him along. Instead, we are left with a broken healthy scratch that will be given away for nothing.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Exactly. Maybe some of you aren't old enough to have seen this movie enough times. I remember when Zubov was being physically pounded by the entire league and then by the fans and management until it became insanely obvious that he was going to be traded. Yet the Stars were able to figure out how to protect Zubov's weaknesses while allowing him to play to his strengths which at the time the Rangers couldn't do and he quarterbacked the Stars to a Cup and a long successful borderline HOF career..

Del Zotto has talent and good development and coaching should have been able to bring him along. Instead, we are left with a broken healthy scratch that will be given away for nothing.
Yes, the Zubov trade still hurts.

Old
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
A lot of fans forget that Zubov led the Cup team in scoring that year.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
bmoak

Quote:
But Neil Smith traded him when he had high value!

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Smith didn't know Robataiile would be a dog in NY. Most people thought the Rangers were getting a stud not an Ed Whitson who couldn't play in NY

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
What point am I missing? They could have traded him earlier, I agree, but maybe they couldn't find a suitor. Trading him 11-12 would have been silly. Depth like that on defense is a great luxury and one of the biggest reasons we had our best season in 15 years.

The point you are missing is that the trading is only part of the problem. The other part is running promising players into the ground.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:04 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
He scores 30 goals last full season and was on place for 30 goals last year. You don't get him for that package.
Cally had a run of 3 straight years like that, plus he had a great all around game. Look where he is now. There's more to a game than just goals.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:

Zubov didn't have high value comparatively speaking. Zubov was absolutely at his lowest value when he was traded. Every time he touched the puck near the boards he was battered and broken and gave the puck away in fear. Instead of have the forwards come back to protect him the Rangers allowed it to happen and he became worthless. But magically not for other teams.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:32 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Zubov didn't have high value comparatively speaking. Zubov was absolutely at his lowest value when he was traded. Every time he touched the puck near the boards he was battered and broken and gave the puck away in fear. Instead of have the forwards come back to protect him the Rangers allowed it to happen and he became worthless. But magically not for other teams.
Zubov was a point-a-game player when he was traded. To argue that he was "worthless" (implying that he was traded away for a minimal return instead of a future Hall-of-Famer and and All-Star) is disingenuous.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
What? Are you talking about Ilya Zubov?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Zubov was a point-a-game player when he was traded. To argue that he was "worthless" (implying that he was traded away for a minimal return instead of a future Hall-of-Famer and and All-Star) is disingenuous.
Maybe worthless was a strong word, but as this article from that period points out, Zubov, along with Nedved were convenient scapegoats.
Quote:
In a continued and perhaps desperate quest for another Stanley Cup championship before the end of the Mark Messier era, the Rangers made a major multiplayer trade yesterday. They filled two of their biggest present needs while gambling with their future and increasing their payroll.

The Rangers sent two talented young players, Sergei Zubov and Petr Nedved, to the Pittsburgh Penguins. In exchange, they got two talented older players, Ulf Samuelsson and Luc Robitaille.

Zubov and Nedved were frequently blamed for the team's disappointing performance last season; Samuelsson and Robitaille are well-known stars with clearly defined reputations and strong personalities.
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/01/sp...nd-nedved.html

Old
01-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Maybe worthless was a strong word, but as this article from that period points out, Zubov, along with Nedved were convenient scapegoats.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/01/sp...nd-nedved.html
I liked Samuelsson, but I was a big Nedved and Zubov supporter. I hated losing those two guys. That trade, and shipping off Savard were disasters...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
SML

No, he's right. Eric Lindros and the Flyers were making a mark on the game. Everyone was scrambling to adapt to the new size of the game and it didn't appear Zubov was going to fare well. Hindsight tells you this was wrong, but everyone was going big. Look at the guys that were getting drafted post Lindros. Big was everything.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote